PDA

View Full Version : My entire life has gone off the rails.

Vroom_Socko
09-10-2005, 09:38 PM
For the long story, here's a link to my LJ: Click me. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/vroomsocko/2005/09/10/)

The short story, my dad just had what the doctors are calling a "major" stroke.

I really don't know what to do with myself right now. I don't know if I'm here looking for reassurance or if I'm just shouting to the world that my life has gone batshit insane, but I feel like I just got hit in the chest with a Goblin Glider.

(I joke because if I didn't, I'd throw my computer out the window and jump after it.)

I don't know what to do right now. I just don't know what to do.

JoshuaFialkov
09-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Vroom... buddy... hang in there man. Stay bright, all of our hearts are with you.

alexlannin
09-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Shit, I'm sorry to hear that.
Is there going to be long term damage? Does the doctor know much yet?
I hope everything turns out well.

the last ronin
09-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Breathe man, things will work out.

alexlannin
09-10-2005, 09:41 PM
On a hopeful note, my grandmother had a stroke when I was a baby and was fine within a short time, and lived for more almost three decades afterwards.

Mark
09-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Sorry, man. Best wishes.

Bandit Chimera
09-10-2005, 09:42 PM
sry man. i hope that ppl around you will help ya in your time of need

i know that the board here will help and i'll put in a prayer fer your father and family myself too

Peace, Ryan

Vroom_Socko
09-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Shit, I'm sorry to hear that.
Is there going to be long term damage? Does the doctor know much yet?

Apparently the clotting was in his speech center, and his left carodid... is it carodid or carotid? anyway, the major artery in his neck was almost completly blocked. He's in the ICU; they're going to keep him under observation for the next three days, just to make sure they got everything. I'm trying to stay optomistic, but the doctors just can't say anything definitivly until they see what happens in the next 24-48 hours.

According to my neighbor, who got this all firsthand, he was moving both his feet when they let my mom in to see him, and he was responsive to her voice. So that's good news.

alexlannin
09-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Apparently the clotting was in his speech center, and his left carodid... is it carodid or carotid? anyway, the major artery in his neck was almost completly blocked. He's in the ICU; they're going to keep him under observation for the next three days, just to make sure they got everything. I'm trying to stay optomistic, but the doctors just can't say anything definitivly until they see what happens in the next 24-48 hours.

According to my neighbor, who got this all firsthand, he was moving both his feet when they let my mom in to see him, and he was responsive to her voice. So that's good news.
He survived it, so that's great news in itself, take care man.

Boris the Blade
09-10-2005, 09:49 PM
I feel you man. This summer my dad had a series of major heart problems, first five blockages, then a series of heart attacks that almost put him in his grave. He had to have surgery for it - quintuple bypass, risky stuff, I mean, Homer Simpson only needed a quadruple bypass and he's HOMER!

Anyways, he's better now. And you know what got him through the tough part? His family being there. His family being strong. Letting him know that he's going through something very rough, but the family's there, doing their best to make him feel better during the time (even when he was unconscious). Life may not be the same after that, but in this time he needs you, and he needs you to be strong.

Keep tough. And yeah, joke. It's the best way to get over tough situations. Especially if it's clone saga jokes. I mean, Marvel survived after that, and it was probably a lot more serious than heart attacks and strokes, right?

But seriously. It's important to be strong right now, and if he's up and aware right now, to let him see that you're strong and that you're hoping for the best.

Caley Tibbittz
09-10-2005, 09:50 PM
My uncle died from a stroke about 4 years ago... that was a real tough time. I hope your dad gets better... if he's still responsive, that's a good sign.

Fourthman
09-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Put some music on, let it out and regroup. Keep us posted.
Best and warmest regards.

Vroom_Socko
09-10-2005, 10:12 PM
My favorite ep. of Futurama is on; the one where Fry is stung to death by space bees. Despite featuring death, insanity, and obsessing over grief, I'm finding it somewhat comforting.

Boris the Blade
09-10-2005, 10:13 PM
My favorite ep. of Futurama is on; the one where Fry is stung to death by space bees. Despite featuring death, insanity, and obsessing over grief, I'm finding it somewhat comforting.
OMG Vroom, SPOILERS.

I haven't seen that one. Fry... dies?

Vroom_Socko
09-10-2005, 10:16 PM
OMG Vroom, SPOILERS.

I haven't seen that one. Fry... dies?

He sort of dies...

Great, now I'm depressed again.

Boris the Blade
09-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, ah, think of other episodes!

Like the one with Fry's dog! Think about how happy they were and... and... Oh. Wait.

Okay, wait! How about that one where they had all the flashbacks about Fry's brother!That was funny! Parachute pants right! I mean there was that ending where... okay, uh.

Hm.

Here's a picture of Scruffy. The janitor.

http://tfp.killbots.com/scans/192_pink-scruffy.gif

Vroom_Socko
09-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Scruffy's takin' his break.

My mom just got home. Apparently he's on a ventilator, "just in case." Y'know, since he can't talk, he can't call out if something's wrong, so they're covering all the bases.

She say's that he's awake and aware, so things are looking good so far. Naturally, this doesn't alleviate the fact that I'm scared out of my fucking mind.

Vroom_Socko
09-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Just a small update; my dad is now completely paralysed on his right side, and the doctors aren't optomistic about his regaining any use.

It's not ruled out, they're just not optomistic.

He had another MRI today, we're still in "wait and see" mode.

kubiak
09-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Wow. I'm so sorry, man. I wish there was something I could do to help. I hope things turn out well for you and your family.

I am going to re-read Hectic Planet tonight in honor of your kick ass Board name.

half guard
09-11-2005, 06:56 PM
For the long story, here's a link to my LJ: Click me. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/vroomsocko/2005/09/10/)

The short story, my dad just had what the doctors are calling a "major" stroke.

I really don't know what to do with myself right now. I don't know if I'm here looking for reassurance or if I'm just shouting to the world that my life has gone batshit insane, but I feel like I just got hit in the chest with a Goblin Glider.

(I joke because if I didn't, I'd throw my computer out the window and jump after it.)

I don't know what to do right now. I just don't know what to do.

hope it all works out for you, man. i went through something similar with my grandfather about 2 years ago. he had a number of strokes in a short period of time and it hit me hard - he practically raised me for years when i was a kid. they doctors fixed up his heart and got him on a solid diet. today he's out cutting his grass, walks a mile or two every other day, and is in generally good health.

VKValentine
09-11-2005, 06:59 PM
My Dads best friend just had the exact same thing happen. The didn't know if would walk or talk again, but he's already done both in just a few months. I hope for the best for you and yours.

Raphael J
09-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that man. Your family's in my thoughts. Please take care.

Vroom_Socko
09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I just got back from seeing him.

He's a mess, but I look in his eyes and the man is PISSED! He keeps trying to stand up; the nurses actually had to physically restrain him.

Also, he's moved his right foot, and can lift his hand a little. Paralysed my ass.

I was a little scared that seeing him would push me over the edge, but it's actually made me hopeful.

Oh, here's a picture of my dad, from back when I was in high school.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/vroomsocko/Dad.jpg

TonyFleecs
09-12-2005, 04:31 PM
This is good news.

Boris the Blade
09-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Being a pain in the ass is kind of good. It means he's still got some strength, and he's fighting. Once again - my dad did the same thing. After the surgery, he looked like he was totally conconscious, but he kept lifting his arms and trying to pull out the IV stuff. They said, while it's annoying, it's a good enough sign.

icemanx62
09-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hang in there.

alexlannin
09-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I just got back from seeing him.

He's a mess, but I look in his eyes and the man is PISSED! He keeps trying to stand up; the nurses actually had to physically restrain him.

Also, he's moved his right foot, and can lift his hand a little. Paralysed my ass.

I was a little scared that seeing him would push me over the edge, but it's actually made me hopeful.

Oh, here's a picture of my dad, from back when I was in high school.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/vroomsocko/Dad.jpg
Awesome, it sounds like he's ready to fight to get his life back in order, which is a great thing.
I guess I shouldn't expect less from Mr. Socko Sr. :)

Vroom_Socko
09-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Well, he's off the ventilator.

At this point, the doctor isn't speculating on his recovery, if only because everything he's said so far, my dad has rapidly disproved. He's still not talking, but he's much calmer now that he doesn't have all those tubes down his throat.

Brian Defferding
09-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Egads. I'm very sorry, he's in my thoughts and prayers.

moonspider
09-13-2005, 07:13 PM
hang in there man...my best wishes and support are with you bro

batmanbooyah
09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
my heart goes out to you man. if your father makes it through this, use the time wisely.

Doug
09-14-2005, 04:51 AM
Just keep good thoughts in your head, man.

Keep posting here too. The people on this board are amazing and can help in even the darkest of times.

You and yours will be in my thoughts (even if you are an @$$hole, ;-) ).

SteveZegers
09-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Whoa. Sounds like he's a fighter, which is great. Best wishes and all!

King of Mars
09-14-2005, 04:55 AM
Good luck to you and your father, Socko.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
09-14-2005, 05:00 AM
I hope your dad gets better quickly. There's not much we can do, except provide cheap and tasteless distraction. :)

Vroom_Socko
09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
As I type this, my dad is being moved out of the ICU. He's also moving more of his leg.

He hasn't moved his arm much, if at all. The doctors are saying that his arm and his speech wil be the last things to come back, if at all. Still, his recovery has been pretty damn amazing so far. Especially since Saturday night the doctors weren't giving him much of a chance.

Every day, my confidence grows. :) :cry:

(We really need an emoticon that's crying AND smiling...)

Raphael J
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
As I type this, my dad is being moved out of the ICU. He's also moving more of his leg.

He hasn't moved his arm much, if at all. The doctors are saying that his arm and his speech wil be the last things to come back, if at all. Still, his recovery has been pretty damn amazing so far. Especially since Saturday night the doctors weren't giving him much of a chance.

(We really need an emoticon that's crying AND smiling...)

That's great news man. I'm glad to hear things are turning around.

JoshuaFialkov
09-14-2005, 09:25 PM
:D Awesome man! Glad to hear he's getting better.

durkgod
09-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Glad to hear the good news. Just keep thinking positive thoughts and spending time with him.

Caley Tibbittz
09-15-2005, 01:39 AM

(We really need an emoticon that's crying AND smiling...)I'm really happy to hear this... this could have been so much worse, it sounds like he's going to do very well.:D

Jade
09-15-2005, 01:44 AM
It sounds like your dad's a fighter, and I think that's awesome. The amount of recovery he's shown in such a short period of time is amazing.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Steve Lieber
09-15-2005, 03:19 AM
My mom had a rough stroke a few years ago. Here are a few practical things I can share:

1. Get a clipboard and a yellow legal pad and write everything down. As your dad moves into recovery and rehab, they're going to be throwing all sorts of information and instructions at you. You won't be able to remember it all, so write it down. Write down daily records of when people are coming in to do things so if something that needs to be done is late, or doesn't happen, you'll know and be able to raise a fuss. Write down the name of everyone you speak with, because at some point, you'll have a question about something you were told and you'll want to know who to ask.

2. This also has a very, very useful secondary benefit. It'll make everyone, from the doctors on down, sharpen up when dealing with you or your dad. Hospital people work their asses off, but 'll still try to cut corners now and then. If you're writing down their names and looking at your watch when they come in, it'll keep them from trying to cut any corners in front of you. Be friendly about it. You're "just trying to keep everything organized in your head." Nonetheless, make sure they know BigBrother is watching.

3: Get as much info from the therapists as much as possible. There may be excercises you can can do with your dad to advance his recovery, and you're definitely going to need to know basic stuff like how to put on the splints.

Gail Simone
09-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Vroom, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for better days for you very very soon. So sorry, brother. Keep your chin up as best you can. Glad to hear that there's been some good news, and Steve's advice sounds really solid.

Best wishes always,

Gail

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
09-15-2005, 03:38 AM
It's great to hear that your dad is slowly recovering, mate. Here's hoping he continues in that direction.

Doug
09-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Great news!!!

I hope things keep getting better and better for your dad.

Vroom_Socko
09-15-2005, 07:45 PM
They moved him again today, this time into the physical therapy ward. I went in to see him tonight, and man is he looking better without all that shit down his throat.

It's strange, but looking at him, I'm reminded of my three month old nephew, if only because of the way he's moving his head. But then he'll cough, and he's my dad again.

The good news? When I got there he was sitting up, eating mashed potatoes. His right foot was moving pretty regularly, in concert with his left. And when I left, I swear to GOD I saw his whole leg move!

All this in less than a week. I think it's when he talks again that I'm going to absolutly lose it. Oh, he's going to talk again; the old bastard's too stubborn to just give in.

Smokinblues
09-15-2005, 08:01 PM
They moved him again today, this time into the physical therapy ward. I went in to see him tonight, and man is he looking better without all that shit down his throat.

It's strange, but looking at him, I'm reminded of my three month old nephew, if only because of the way he's moving his head. But then he'll cough, and he's my dad again.

The good news? When I got there he was sitting up, eating mashed potatoes. His right foot was moving pretty regularly, in concert with his left. And when I left, I swear to GOD I saw his whole leg move!

All this in less than a week. I think it's when he talks again that I'm going to absolutly lose it. Oh, he's going to talk again; the old bastard's too stubborn to just give in.

good to hear he's steady fighting. hang in there.

Vroom_Socko
09-16-2005, 03:36 PM
His feeding tube is out! Thank god, the man's been trying to rip that damn thing out twice an hour since Sunday.

He's now undergoing the full regiment of occupational/physical therapy. All this, and it hasn't even been a week yet since his stroke.

Things are looking good.

TonyFleecs
09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Great news man!

JABSEN
09-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Very good news

Olivier E.
09-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Good news :D

Vroom_Socko
09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Once again, I wonder why there's no emoticon that's smiling AND crying at the same time.

My mom spent most of today with my dad, as much as the physical therapists would allow at least. She spent most of her time just talking to him while watching CNN. As she was leaving, she says, "Do you want me to leave the tv on or off?"

My dad said, "On."

The mean ol' bastard SPOKE!

If I know him at all, this time next week he's going to be asking the doctors when he can go back to work. :-P

If you'll all excuse me, I'm a little overcome... :cry:

JPKakinuma
09-17-2005, 10:38 PM
This is such good news, it sounds like he's a fighter, and that will aid in rehabilitation.

Vroom_Socko
09-20-2005, 07:33 PM
I spent an hour with my dad today. He's moving to an outside care facility at the end of the week, then later he'll be going to a physical rehab center. Good news, that.

Looking at him today, it's like he was perfectly normal. Only he can't, you know, move his right side or speak. He's completely off all the tubes and stuff, so that's part of it. He was also able to feed himself with a minimum of fuss. He just looks so damn normal.

The right side of his face sags a bit, but it's only noticable when he smiles. Since he doesn't smile that often though, it's not really that noticable. What's funny is that now that he can't talk, he's begun to resemble an overweight Buster Keaton. (He did manage a few words, but not a lot. He seemed to be trying to talk more than actually talking.)

Since he has a fondness for mysteries, and is a Gilbert and Sullivan fan, I read him a story today: an Issac Asimov Black Widowers story about G&S. He seemed to enjoy it.

He also seemed to enjoy making me squirm. At least, he was cackling with glee while he made me :Panic: change him...

At least he's in a pretty good mood.

TonyFleecs
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't know if I could change my dad...

Still, great to hear things are looking up.

alexlannin
09-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Who needs to talk when you can cackle with glee?
I'm extremely happy for you.

Criden
09-20-2005, 07:55 PM
I was sorry to hear things were so rough for you, and now I'm glad to hear things are looking up. :) I have a feeling everything's going to turn out just fine. This, coincidentially, would be a healthy mantra to repeat to yourself. :D