PDA

View Full Version : WWE has lost their minds!!!!!!

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:36 AM
WWE's legal team has been on a terror as of late by going after anyone and everyone they think might infringe on their copyrights and trademarks, most especially ones concerning ECW. Here are some of the people they have threatened with letters just recently.

# WWE have sent a cease and desist letter to Peter Polaco, aka Justin Credible. Apparently, he can no longer use the "Justin Credible" name on wrestling shows anymore.

# Johnny Ace recently informed Pete Gruner (Billy Kidman) that he not use the name "Billy Kidman" or "Kidman" on the independent scene when his 90-day no-compete clause expires next month.

# The WWE legal team informed the webmaster of Spike Dudley's official website, SpikeDudley.net, that they can no longer use photos of him taken during his WWE tenure on his site. The WWE legal team says it constitutes copyright infringement and threatened him with a $150,000 damage case per photo. Some official WWE photos are still up on the site as of this post, but I'd imagine they'll be taken down sooner rather than later.

# Also, the WWE legal team is currently looking at the folks who put together the "Hardcore Homecoming" shows for any potential legal hole they can nail them with. There's nothing specific yet, but WWE is claiming that the shows were infringing on WWE's trademarks and intellectual properties.
Here are some more specific details on the WWE/Dudley Boyz situation....

Mark LoMonica is forbidden from using the names "Bubba", "Buh-Buh", "Bubba Ray Dudley" or "Buh-Buh Ray Dudley" on independent shows and appearances as they caught a company using the name "Bubba" on advertising for a recent New York indie show and then they sent him and the indy promotion cease and desist letters to stop him from using that name or any name similar to his old name for that matter. Devon Hughes cannot use the name "D-Von" or "D-Von Dudley", although they can't stop him from using the name "Devon" as that's his real name. And of course, they can't use or be referred to as "The Dudleys", "The Dudleyz", "The Dudley Boys", or "Dudley Boyz" period.

WWE is also claiming rights to their catchphrases and costumes. They can't wear camouflauge or wrestle wearing glasses. WWE is also not allowing the term "get the tables" be used in advertising for them as a press release was pulled with new phrasing as WWE wouldn't allow the NY indie group to use the term, "get the tables." There is also a possibility that WWE will claim the terms "3-D" and "D-Von, Get the tables", although they can't ban them from using the manuever. WWE is claiming broad rights to everything associated with The Dudley Boyz gimmick.

Hughes and LoMonica have talked about fighting WWE legally because they left ECW with the idea that they owned the rights to their names and gimmick, but it could end up being a costly fight which is why they might not challenge WWE in court. The former Dudleyz are currently brainstorming a new gimmick for the team and they will let TNA know what the gimmick is after they trademark it themselves.

The webmaster of BigVanVader.com received a legal letter from WWE, informing him that as part of his Legends contract, Vader agreed to give WWE rights to his name. Because of that, WWE wants the webmaster to relinquish ownership of the domain.

While entertainment companies usually have the legal right to go after fan sites, it rarely comes into practice. The general feeling is that such websites provide free and harmless promotion; those not offering copyrighted material (such as media downloads) should be exempt from the wrath.

It should also be noted that the webmaster has been operating the tribute website at a financial loss.

In an update to Daniel Pena's breaking report, WWE has already begun its legal fight against Hardcore Homecoming. PWInsider.com reports that the company, citing infringement, contacted venues hosting the Hardcore Homecoming events for information on those promoting the show. WWE's Legal Department also contacted Ventura Distribution, the company distributing the first Hardcore Homecoming DVD, likely for the same reason.

THWIP!
09-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Wow. What the fuck.

Brewtown Andy
09-09-2005, 08:42 AM
They should go after the Ultimate Warrior name just to watch Hellwig blow a gasket.

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:44 AM
They should go after the Ultimate Warrior name just to watch Hellwig blow a gasket.

god damn...that made me laugh....lol

Gregory
09-09-2005, 08:46 AM
And they can copyright the name "Vader" how exactly?

wh park
09-09-2005, 08:51 AM

They do own the name ULTIMATE WARRIOR, that's why he uses the simple "The Warrior" which BTW is his legal name now.

Christopher Brian
09-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Its sad... but its business though.

Can't have people with brand names running to other promotions. Heyman should have made good on his promise to transfer the copyrights to the dudleyz and we wouldn't be talking about the royal ass fucking they are getting right now.

They are going to have no choice but to take the pay cut and go back to the WWE.

Dave From Idaho
09-09-2005, 08:56 AM
And they can copyright the name "Vader" how exactly?

By taking George Lucas' nuts and putting them in a vice grip.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
09-09-2005, 08:57 AM
They have no basis for the phrase "Get The Tables".

The Dudleyz could always call themselves the D-Boys if they can't come up with anything good. I'm not sure what kind of control WWE can really have over what they wear.

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Its sad... but its business though.

Can't have people with brand names running to other promotions. Heyman should have made good on his promise to transfer the copyrights to the dudleyz and we wouldn't be talking about the royal ass fucking they are getting right now.

They are going to have no choice but to take the pay cut and go back to the WWE.

it is business...but it's bad business!

WWE still thinks they can survive being the only game in town. let these guys make a living....it's not going to kill WWE.
i can see why new jack said in the one interview about not going to the WWE, he wants to keep the name and gimmik. i don't blame him.

Bandit Chimera
09-09-2005, 08:58 AM
wow thats some gay ass shit. those characters arn't as cool without their gimmIks and WWE says "NO GIMMIK FOR YOU!!!" dang that bites for all those ppl

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:59 AM

The Dudleyz could always call themselves the D-Boys if they can't come up with anything good. I'm not sure what kind of control WWE can really have over what they wear.

WWE are just being bullies.
cause they can

Ziolko
09-09-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm officially boycotting anything associated with the WWE. I had been buying some of the DVDs they've been releasing, but fuck that noise. No more. I'm done with giving them even a penny more of my money.

09-09-2005, 09:03 AM
The name thing is nothing new, though, and I don't see any reason to care in most of these cases. Aside from the Dudley situation, Kidman and such should be able to just spell their names differently like other guys have done (the luchadores, for example). WWE has no ownership of the name Billy Kiddman or Kidmann.

Ziolko
09-09-2005, 09:05 AM
The name thing is nothing new, though, and I don't see any reason to care in most of these cases. Aside from the Dudley situation, Kidman and such should be able to just spell their names differently like other guys have done (the luchadores, for example). WWE has no ownership of the name Billy Kiddman or Kidmann.

Yeah, that's the part that pisses me off. A lot of these guys have been using the names outside of the WWE for longer than they were even in the company.

The Vader thing is the last straw, though. That's straight up bullshit.

09-09-2005, 09:08 AM
The Vader thing is the last straw, though. That's straight up bullshit.

It's just desperation on McMahon's part. He's been pulling this exact same shit for years.

Jamie
09-09-2005, 09:09 AM
that sucks, i am thinking of trademarking shit wrestling. big show will be in trouble

The Human Target
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
The best part is, they have almost no actual legal right to do any of that.

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 11:33 AM

When I used to be an e-fedder, the owner of one of the feds I was in created some jobbers just to test new guys with, to see if they'd write on time and shit. He made them fake Dudley'z: Schmuck and Ol' Dirty Bastard Dudley. After a couple months, I had some belt there and came to be friends with the owner and he let me start writing promos for Schmuck and ODB Dudley- some of the stupidest, shit I've ever written. I hope the WWE isn't looking in my harddrive...

:scared:

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
it is business...but it's bad business!

WWE still thinks they can survive being the only game in town. let these guys make a living....it's not going to kill WWE.
i can see why new jack said in the one interview about not going to the WWE, he wants to keep the name and gimmik. i don't blame him.

With the way things are going, can't the WWE just say to anyone that competed in ECW (or even wCw) that they can't use the name/gimmick because WWE owns the rights to everything (tapes, logos, etc)?

Mr. E!
09-09-2005, 11:40 AM

While that may be arguable (I haven't seen the contracts the performers signed) they can get away with it. They can litigate these guys into the poor house if they wanted to before a case even made it to trial. I never said it is right, but WWE can do it.

Ziolko
09-09-2005, 11:44 AM

No, the problem is that the DO have legal legs to stand on. On the wrestlecrap message boards, former WWE star Earthquake explains that when you sign with the company you also sign a form stating that your "name" with the company becomes their copyright, which I think he said the performer gets royalties from, regardless of whether or not he or she is still employed with the company. It's why he had to change his name several times when he went to WCW.

So the WWE has legal ground to stand on with all this, and I can understand how they don't want the talent to use these names in any possible competitor (namely, TNA). But it's still a really shitty business move on their part. I'd really boycott them if it weren't the fact that the Bret Hart DVD comes out soon. God I'm a whore. :-x

Dave From Idaho
09-09-2005, 11:56 AM
It's funny how none of the wrestlers go out and copyright the name themselves first before the WWE gets to them. If Chris Jericho quit the WWE today, he can use "Chris Jericho" since he trademarked the name himself. SMART MOVE.

Corey A.
09-09-2005, 12:11 PM
It's funny how none of the wrestlers go out and copyright the name themselves first before the WWE gets to them. If Chris Jericho quit the WWE today, he can use "Chris Jericho" since he trademarked the name himself. SMART MOVE.

I think 'Chris Jericho' is his legal name. I think that's why you see most of the 'new' blood using their real names so if they get screwed by WWE, they can still try make a living & not have to start all over again.

Chris McCarver
09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I think 'Chris Jericho' is his legal name. I think that's why you see most of the 'new' blood using their real names so if they get screwed by WWE, they can still try make a living & not have to start all over again.

I know Jericho's birth name is Christopher Irvine; did he get it legally changed?

09-09-2005, 12:36 PM
The WWE is gonna get such a backlash from this eventually

No they won't. Nobody except us geeks on the internet are ever going to hear about it, and despite what Vince Russo may have believed, internet-savvy fans make up a tiny percentage of wrestling's fanbase. Nobody is going to know, and nobody is going to care.

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I know Jericho's birth name is Christopher Irvine; did he get it legally changed?

Didn't Rick Rude change his name to "RAVISHING" RICK RUDE? I remember hearing that it says that on his drivers license, in all caps.

http://www.xavier450.com/images/faves/rude.jpg

09-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Dude, I want to add an adjective to my name.

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 01:16 PM

I'd rather have my first name be "The". I'd totally make everyone pronounce it one of the two ways (not sure which one yet.).

Ziolko
09-09-2005, 01:17 PM

"Hard" Corwin Gibson.

You're welcome.

moonspider
09-09-2005, 03:21 PM
what the fuck is this shit right there?

XSaraXPoeX
09-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Although seemingly an evl thing to do, from a business standpoint it's a smart move. Like someone said earlier in this thread; other than the Dudleys, who cares? (Kidman could just call himself Billy the Kid.)

What's REALLY cool is that the first RAW on USA will be THREE HOURS LONG! :D Plus have Austin, Hogan and MICK F'N FOLEY!!

RAW is coming home to USA

A “Night of Champions” is scheduled for Monday Night RAW’s special three-hour homecoming to the USA Network on Oct. 3, starting at 8 p.m. ET.

Many former WWE Champions will be making their return to RAW on Oct. 3, including Hall of Famer Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley and Triple H. Even Mr. McMahon himself will make an appearance.

All of this is in addition to current WWE Champion John Cena and former WWE Champions Shawn Michaels, Big Show, Kurt Angle and Ric Flair being a part of the historic, star-studded evening.

RAW flourished during its seven-year run on USA network, establishing cable rating records as WWE fans flocked to the television each and every Monday night. And it’s happening all over again, so don’t miss RAW on Oct. 3 for this televised homecoming.

Stay tuned to WWE.com as more information on RAW's move to USA becomes available. http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/rawonusa (http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/rawonusa)

Anybody watching the Andre the Giant bio on A&E right now?

moonspider
09-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Although seemingly an evl thing to do, from a business standpoint it's a smart move. Like someone said earlier in this thread; other than the Dudleys, who cares? (Kidman could just call himself Billy the Kid.)

What's REALLY cool is that the first RAW on USA will be THREE HOURS LONG! :D Plus have Austin, Hogan and MICK F'N FOLEY!!

Anybody watching the Andre the Giant bio on A&E right now?

it's old...i have it taped from when it first aired there...along with the owen hart bio and many other wrestling bios that they showed for that week....man, that was a while back

RODGER
09-09-2005, 06:21 PM
even more crap.....
jesus...

Because Hardcore Homecoming has been careful not to mention ECW, WrestlingObserver.com reports that WWE's strategy in targeting the show revolves around The Dudleys (Hardcore Homecoming apparently used a photo from their ECW days in its advertising) and Justin Credible (even though the trademark expired, WWE still claims ownership of his name). WWE reportedly contacted venues hosting the events to let them know that Hardcore Homecoming was a "fly-by-night" promotion guilty of violating WWE's trademarks and intellectual property.

moonspider
09-09-2005, 06:22 PM
even more crap.....
jesus...

Because Hardcore Homecoming has been careful not to mention ECW, WrestlingObserver.com reports that WWE's strategy in targeting the show revolves around The Dudleys (Hardcore Homecoming apparently used a photo from their ECW days in its advertising) and Justin Credible (even though the trademark expired, WWE still claims ownership of his name). WWE reportedly contacted venues hosting the events to let them know that Hardcore Homecoming was a "fly-by-night" promotion guilty of violating WWE's trademarks and intellectual property.

wow.......vince has thought of everything

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 06:39 PM
even more crap.....
jesus...

We should all write them angry emails and call them all day long...

moonspider
09-09-2005, 06:47 PM
We should all write them angry emails and call them all day long...

http://www.ringinsider.com/wrestlingmedia/photos/gifs/elbowdrop.gif

King of Mars
09-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Kinda funny to see the words "WWE" and "intellectual properties" in the same sentence together. :)

moonspider
09-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Kinda funny to see the words "WWE" and "intellectual properties" in the same sentence together. :)

http://www.graphicfarm.net/forum/uploads/img-237-eddie2.gif

Justin.Strange
09-09-2005, 07:37 PM
i like to pretend the WWE doesnt exsist...

moonspider
09-09-2005, 07:39 PM
i like to pretend the WWE doesnt exsist...

but it does...and this is proof
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/4792/58288torriewilson4ix.jpg

RODGER
09-09-2005, 07:42 PM
but it does...and this is proof
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/4792/58288torriewilson4ix.jpg

oh oh
your going to creep out alisha

:roll:

Justin.Strange
09-09-2005, 07:49 PM
uh oh her face is creeping me out..

half guard
09-09-2005, 07:55 PM

meh. i'll be watching the ufc live fight on spike instead - no wwe soap opera crap and real fights with no scripts. wwe has been such crap in general lately, i'm just happy that i have mnf to watch on monday evenings. and i can get my wrestling fix from tna.

even though they may not be a legit threat to wwe right now, tna is ten times more entertaining in my opinion. the right mix of talent, storyline, etc. instead of the over the top soap opera crap being spun by wwe writers that have little or no experience in wrestling. in the past year i've bought about 12 ppvs. 1 wwe (wrestlemania), 3 tna, and 8 mma (pride, ufc, kotc, etc.).

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 07:56 PM
http://www.graphicfarm.net/forum/uploads/img-237-eddie2.gif

I love how you post videos for no reason. Keep it up.

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 07:56 PM
meh. i'll be watching the ufc live fight on spike instead - no wwe soap opera crap and real fights with no scripts. wwe has been such crap in general lately, i'm just happy that i have mnf to watch on monday evenings. and i can get my wrestling fix from tna.

even though they may not be a legit threat to wwe right now, tna is ten times more entertaining in my opinion. the right mix of talent, storyline, etc. instead of the over the top soap opera crap being spun by wwe writers that have little or no experience in wrestling. in the past year i've bought about 12 ppvs. 1 wwe (wrestlemania), 3 tna, and 8 mma (pride, ufc, kotc, etc.).

You better watch TNA!

All of you better watch TNA!

RODGER
09-09-2005, 07:59 PM
i try and watch them all
:)

moonspider
09-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I love how you post videos for no reason. Keep it up.

you never see it coming!!!

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/a/s/20050907_asps3232_175148.gif

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:01 PM
hows this one?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/REALSANDMAN420/Justchec.gif

moonspider
09-09-2005, 08:02 PM
oh oh
your going to creep out alisha

:roll:

yeah
but thongs count right?

half guard
09-09-2005, 08:14 PM
You better watch TNA!

All of you better watch TNA!

oh, don't get me wrong. i love wrestling. i just hate what wwe does to ruin it. i'm more into mma, but that's mainly because i train / fight personally. i'm guess if i wrestled on the indy circuit, my loyalties would be different. but to me it's more fun to tag a guy on the chin or make him tap than to pretend to punch him, etc.

plus, i think the training for pro wrestling is probably harder. to be able to get that close to hitting somebody and make it look believable; that takes a more control.

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:16 PM
yeah
but thongs count right?

i don't know.....hot women creep her out for some reason...lol

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:17 PM
oh, don't get me wrong. i love wrestling. i just hate what wwe does to ruin it. i'm more into mma, but that's mainly because i train / fight personally. i'm guess if i wrestled on the indy circuit, my loyalties would be different. but to me it's more fun to tag a guy on the chin or make him tap than to pretend to punch him, etc.

plus, i think the training for pro wrestling is probably harder. to be able to get that close to hitting somebody and make it look believable; that takes a more control.

i love ufc and pride

i need to get more pride dvd's.

moonspider
09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
i don't know.....hot women creep her out for some reason...lol

this looks like a job for detective batista
http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/0/9/20050625_0937112032_023447.jpg

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:24 PM
this looks like a job for detective batista
http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/0/9/20050625_0937112032_023447.jpg

damn...that made me laugh....

half guard
09-09-2005, 08:31 PM
is there anything hotter than the commercial they did for summerslam with torrie wilson slowly hiking up her jacket to reveal that perfectly formed ass? i know you know the scene i'm talking about. it was where she was wearing a red, white and blue outfit with an uncle sam-style top hat.

moonspider
09-09-2005, 08:33 PM
damn...that made me laugh....

ah ha, what's this...a clue?
http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/0/9/20050625_0937112032_021000.jpg

RODGER
09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
ah ha, what's this...a clue?
http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/0/9/20050625_0937112032_021000.jpg

nah...thats just hot!

moonspider
09-09-2005, 08:41 PM
god, is he an ugly fucker
http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/0/9/20050628_0937112032_184221.jpg

half guard
09-09-2005, 08:44 PM
god, is he an ugly fucker
http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/0/9/20050628_0937112032_184221.jpg

is that shitsky? he really is ugly as sin.

moonspider
09-09-2005, 08:44 PM
"now how do i access porn?!?!?"
http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_upload/NBA/0/9/20050628_0937112032_180608.jpg

Greenville 90210
09-09-2005, 09:38 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/7313/sunny5.jpg

http://www.losrudos.com/hogan1979.jpg

RODGER
09-10-2005, 05:43 AM
http://www.losrudos.com/hogan1979.jpg

man, hogan was a bald fuck in 1979....he stinks

moonspider
09-10-2005, 08:11 AM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/7313/sunny5.jpg

man, what happened?!?!?

moonspider
09-10-2005, 08:12 AM
is that shitsky? he really is ugly as sin.

man, he's a walking clearasil comercial

Brewtown Andy
09-11-2005, 01:08 AM
man, he's a walking clearasil comercialWho doesn't love bacne?

Dr. Blasphemy
09-11-2005, 05:05 AM
I ahve been telling you all about the horror that is SHITSKYS back for months!
He better call P.Diddy and Jessica Simpson and get some "Proactin" ASAP!

Foolish Mortal
09-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Well first off, I don't see how WWE can copyright 'Vader' since it's an actual word. Vader means 'father' in Dutch.

And secondly, why would they want 'Justin Credible'?? That's one of the worst gimmick names ever!

Damian696
09-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Well first off, I don't see how WWE can copyright 'Vader' since it's an actual word. Vader means 'father' in Dutch.

And secondly, why would they want 'Justin Credible'?? That's one of the worst gimmick names ever!
I think you can copyright it, if it's only for a wrestling character.
And Vader apparently owned the name himself:

The webmaster of BigVanVader.com received a legal letter from WWE, informing him that as part of his Legends contract, Vader agreed to give WWE rights to his name. Because of that, WWE wants the webmaster to relinquish ownership of the domain.
I don't think "Justin Credible" is worse than "Repo Man" or "Duke the Dumpster Drosie" or "Bob Spark Plug Holly". :D It doesn't matter anyway. If WWE owns the rights, they don't want any wrestler use his WWE name for outside promotion.
And it's nothing new, anyway. A lot of wrestlers couldn't use their old names when they changed companies. "Big Bossman" was renamed "The Boss" when he went to WCW, "Sandman" became "Hak" ...
It just looks like a big thing because WWE has now the rights of WCW and ECW too, and so essentially owns most of the the big names in the wrestling business.

moonspider
09-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I think you can copyright it, if it's only for a wrestling character.
And Vader apparently owned the name himself:

I don't think "Justin Credible" is worse than "Repo Man" or "Duke the Dumpster Drosie" or "Bob Spark Plug Holly". :D It doesn't matter anyway. If WWE owns the rights, they don't want any wrestler use his WWE name for outside promotion.
And it's nothing new, anyway. A lot of wrestlers couldn't use their old names when they changed companies. "Big Bossman" was renamed "The Boss" when he went to WCW, "Sandman" became "Hak" ...
It just looks like a big thing because WWE has now the rights of WCW and ECW too, and so essentially owns most of the the big names in the wrestling business.

that's true considering all thsoe names belonged to wcw, and ecw at that time....but now since wwe owns those two companies, they own the characters names and whatnot

dwam0
09-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Everybody, including the wrestlers, knew at the start that the WWE owned the names, costumes, catch phrases, etc. Last I heard, Dwayne " The Rock" Johnson was still licensing the name and at one time he was using personal appearances instead of making cash payments. The WWE is a public co. and it has to answer to a board of director and shareholders. It can't let licensing revenue slip away.

Greenville 90210
09-13-2005, 12:02 PM
The WWE should make fake Dudleyz. If they're going to be dicks, they should go all the way with it.

Ziolko
09-13-2005, 12:06 PM
The WWE should make fake Dudleyz. If they're going to be dicks, they should go all the way with it.

I'd actually mark out if they hired Dances With and Dudley Dudley. I mean, I wouldn't actually watch it, but I'd mark out when I read about it later.

Greenville 90210
09-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I'd actually mark out if they hired Dances With and Dudley Dudley. I mean, I wouldn't actually watch it, but I'd mark out when I read about it later.

Dudley Dudley.

Zombie Big Dick Dudley...