PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Power: NIghthawk by Daniel Way and Steve Dillon

Shwicaz
09-08-2005, 05:52 PM
I am a fan of Supreme Power, but after 18 issues, I felt the forward movement was a bit slow (I enjoy the elements introduced in the main series, but just wish that they were moved forward, instead of being re-hashed.

I didn't like the Doctor Spectrum mini at all, and dropped it after 2 issues or so.

I had no plans of reading Supreme Power: Nighthawk at all, but Daniel Way has impressed me before, and Steve Dillon's art is easy on the eyes, so I grabbed a copy.

I loved it. I laughed at some elements of the story

the 'fruity' clown taking the orderly to the men's room cracked me up. (I hope the letter column for this book doesn't become like Young Avengers. ;-) )

the villain of the peice is decidedly twisted, which gets high marks with me, and I felt like their was actually a point to the mini. I am also lookin forward to seeing more of Nighthawk and his motivations (not sure if the series is going to delve too deeply into his past, but I hope it does)

"I don't get it."

"No shit."

That little exchange from the beginning of the book had me laughing out loud.

Anyone else pick this up, or plan to?

thatguylobo
09-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I dug the hell out of the Nighthawk book. I'll stick around.

I don't really see the need for a Hyperion mini though. Wasn't that the point of the Supreme Power book?

Shwicaz
09-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I dug the hell out of the Nighthawk book. I'll stick around.

I don't really see the need for a Hyperion mini though. Wasn't that the point of the Supreme Power book?

sadly, it really wasn't. :lol:

The Human Target
09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
I was really thinking about gettng it, but decided I'm done with all Supreme Power stuff. I was gonna drop the main title when it went MK, but honestly I have lost interest to the point I don't even give a shit anymore.

artimoff
09-08-2005, 08:52 PM
I didn't like the Doctor Spectrum mini at all, and dropped it after 2 issues or so.

I got issues 2-6 for a quarter each & feel ripped off. It just sucked. Nothing happened.

Taxman
09-08-2005, 08:53 PM
This is out already?

anthony the ghost
09-08-2005, 08:54 PM
yea supreme power is slower than molases, and doc spectrum went NOWHERE. i did get nighthawk cause i like steve dillion but im ready to give up on the whole supreme power thing entirely.

The Human Target
09-08-2005, 08:55 PM
This is out already?

Yep, today.

Flonk
09-08-2005, 08:58 PM
I quite enjoyed it. Much, much better than the Doctor Spectrum crapfest.

Is the villian from the old Sqadron Supreme? or is he some one new based off a DC character? Or someone new all together?

thatguylobo
09-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I quite enjoyed it. Much, much better than the Doctor Spectrum crapfest.

Is the villian from the old Sqadron Supreme? or is he some one new based off a DC character? Or someone new all together?

Kinda looks like Scarface.
He has evil puppet mouth.

Olivier E.
09-09-2005, 01:57 AM
I'll get it, Doctor spectrum was shit, hope this one will be better

kasdan
09-09-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned yet how much the clown (as seen on the cover of issue 3) looks so much like Ronald McDonald.

Pat Loika
09-09-2005, 05:39 AM
I got it, and I enjoyed it. Then again, I can never say no to Steve Dillon's work.

P.

Mike Haseloff
09-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Anyone else pick this up, or plan to?Took a gander at some of the previews a while back, and was quite interested. Would like to get this at some point.

No surprise, I'm sure.

SteveZegers
09-09-2005, 05:44 AM
I got it, and I enjoyed it. Then again, I can never say no to Steve Dillon's work.

P.
I feel the same way. Bought it for the art, a good story was a nice suprise.

Doug
09-09-2005, 05:47 AM
I'll get it, Doctor spectrum was shit, hope this one will be better

No way it could be worse.

I picked it up, but I haven't read it yet. I will read it this weekend though.

NickT
09-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Good start.

Shwicaz
09-09-2005, 06:28 AM
does anyone else think that Nighthawk's costume is sort of....

..silly..?

He has that sort of C3-PO head with glowing eyes...

he looks more like a cybernetic owl than a nighthawk....

NickT
09-09-2005, 06:30 AM

..silly..?

"I was programmed for protocol and beating up racists!"

Ray G.
09-09-2005, 06:38 AM
I really liked this issue. But is it wrong that I hate Nighthawk? The guy's as bad as the people he fights. He's not a defender of minorities, he's a racist himself. But then, that might be the point and I'm supposed to dislike him.

And just so we're clear, Jesus wasn't black. He was middle eastern.

Flonk
09-09-2005, 06:57 AM

..silly..?

I like it. It's pretty scary to see those glowing eyes coming at you. ANd he always looks angry.

Flonk
09-09-2005, 06:58 AM
I really liked this issue. But is it wrong that I hate Nighthawk? The guy's as bad as the people he fights. He's not a defender of minorities, he's a racist himself. But then, that might be the point and I'm supposed to dislike him.

Yup, you missed the point.

And just so we're clear, Jesus wasn't black. He was middle eastern.

Yup, you missed the point.

Shwicaz
09-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I like it. It's pretty scary to see those glowing eyes coming at you. ANd he always looks angry.

contrast and compare:

http://www.midtowncomics.com/images/PRODUCT/FUL/36026_ful.jpg

doesn't he look like that cybernetic owl from Clash of the Titans?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/shwicaz/bubo.gif

Flonk
09-09-2005, 07:09 AM
contrast and compare:

A bit.

But not as wise.

SteveZegers
09-09-2005, 07:13 AM
A bit.

But not as wise.
I don't picture Nighthawk talking in that weird voice/noise either. Maybe I will now...

Garth
09-09-2005, 07:15 AM
So is Supreme Power on hiatus until it returns to MAX or was this last issue the last one of the MAX series and it will resume in MK? The reason I ask is at the end of this last episode, it says the story will be continued in the hyperion and nighthawk minis

Shwicaz
09-09-2005, 07:18 AM
MAX Supreme Power is over.

After the two minis, we will get MK Supreme Power, I believe.

Garra
09-09-2005, 07:26 AM
I had not heard about this. I haveonly read the first trade for supreme power and although I found the first few issues it covered interesting towards the end I found it lacking. The one element in the first trade I was left wanting to know more about was the Nighthawk character. So after reading some of the comments here I think I will pick it up and try it out.

thatguylobo
09-09-2005, 06:06 PM
A bit.

But not as wise.

"Mr. Nighthawk, how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?"

"I'll kill you, bitch!"

"Fair enough."

LenNWallace
09-09-2005, 06:14 PM
I can't believe no one caught the rather obvious nod to who the villian of the piece is supposed to be a nod to. Nighthawk is a nod to Batman, and as the ending would elude to, that could only mean the villian is a nod to...

Who?

Anybody got this?

Great book. I used to hate Way, but he's been growing on me with this, and the Bullseye mini, and like everyone else... Steve mother fucking Dillon? What's not to love, here?

And shame to everyone who rips on Supreme Power. It's a great book. The lateness is forgivable.

And yeah, Raydawgie, I think the entire point took a big fucking leap over your head, dude.

Garra
09-09-2005, 06:25 PM
References to batman and joker I thought.

anthony the ghost
09-09-2005, 06:30 PM
contrast and compare:

i bet they did that on purpose.

RODGER
09-09-2005, 06:49 PM
"Mr. Nighthawk, how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?"

"I'll kill you, bitch!"

"Fair enough."

lol

LenNWallace
09-09-2005, 06:57 PM
References to batman and joker I thought.
THANK YOU!

Flonk
09-10-2005, 12:32 AM
I can't believe no one caught the rather obvious nod to who the villian of the piece is supposed to be a nod to. Nighthawk is a nod to Batman, and as the ending would elude to, that could only mean the villian is a nod to...

Who?

Anybody got this?

Great book. I used to hate Way, but he's been growing on me with this, and the Bullseye mini, and like everyone else... Steve mother fucking Dillon? What's not to love, here?

And shame to everyone who rips on Supreme Power. It's a great book. The lateness is forgivable.

And yeah, Raydawgie, I think the entire point took a big fucking leap over your head, dude.

......Joker?

Shwicaz
09-10-2005, 02:50 AM

Who?

Anybody got this?

I didn't mention it because it was so...(as you said) obvious.

As for me ripping on SP, it isn't the lateness, its the fact that after spending money on 18 issues, I feel that not much happened.

Can you imagine reading 18 issues of Ultimates, and not having the team even form yet?