PDA

View Full Version : what was the turning point in comics?

jordan michael
09-01-2005, 12:54 PM
when did comics go from that kinda crap that was going in the 90's to the kinda new age of great comics we're in now?

i'd say it was when quesada become editor-in-chief.

Ray G.
09-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm going to say No Man's Land, from DC. It was the first storytelling exercise of its kind, and it really broadened people's ideas of what mainstream superhero comics could be. We wouldn't have House of M or Infinite Crisis without it.

Criden
09-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I'd say you're probably right. Maybe when Bendis joined Marvel, if I may be so bold.

Doug
09-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I'll go with the creation of Marvel Knights. The start of the Quesada legacy.

DonFanucci
09-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I'd say you're probably right. Maybe when Bendis joined Marvel, if my nose be so brown.

:twisted:

Gregory
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I think Vertigo's evolution, including Sandman, Enigma, Preacher, and Invisibles all stemming from the initial Moore Swamp Thing work.

Jew Mafia
09-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I'll go with the creation of Marvel Knights. The start of the Quesada legacy.

ditto, MK started, Kevin Smith was brought in and the era of "high profile" creative teams on books really kicked in, and JQ being at marvel w/ Jemas eventually lead to the Ultimate line.

Balthazar
09-01-2005, 01:06 PM

KingMob
09-01-2005, 01:07 PM
I think Vertigo's evolution, including Sandman, Enigma, Preacher, and Invisibles all stemming from the initial Moore Swamp Thing work.

good man

Ziolko
09-01-2005, 01:44 PM

Agreed. It took mainstream DC and Marvel years just to catch up with the quality of stories Vertigo produced since the imprint was created. Even in the 90s you had little flashes of greatness with James Robinsons' work on both Firearm and Starman, Alan Moore's run on WildC.A.T.s, Frank Miller's Sin City, John Byrne's Next Men and Danger Inc, Mike Mignola' Hellboy, etc...

But most of it can be traced back to Vertigo and maybe Dark Horse.

Tim Simmons
09-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Agreed. It took mainstream DC and Marvel years just to catch up with the quality of stories Vertigo produced since the imprint was created. Even in the 90s you had little flashes of greatness with James Robinsons' work on both Firearm and Starman, Alan Moore's run on WildC.A.T.s, Frank Miller's Sin City, John Byrne's Next Men and Danger Inc, Mike Mignola' Hellboy, etc...

But most of it can be traced back to Vertigo and maybe Dark Horse.

I'd agree w/ this- Probably right around the time of the Legends Dark Horse imprint...all the old school guys coming around to kick the youngins' in the ass...

RebootedCorpse
09-01-2005, 02:17 PM
I'd say when marvel fell under leadership that understoiod that for comics to be good, they needed to be well written. It was so crazy, it worked!

Horizon Drive
09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I'd say right after Marvel did that Zero Hour thing and DC did Superman Red and Blue- those two were the death knell for the crappy comics phase. Figure around 1995 or 1996. I'd say the cool era started with Alex Ross books: DC- Kingdom Come. Marvel- Marvels. After that Joe Q. and Kevin Smith did Daredevil. I think it finally caught it stride in 2000- JMS and Bendis started on Spider-Man, there was a Wolverine Origin, Stan Lee did Just Imagine (I know this isn't popular or cool- but I remember it being a big deal at the time).

Shawn_Kehoe
09-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I think that Marvels was a turning point in that it went against the grim n' gritty comics which by that point were 4th generation fascimilies of watchmen and DKR. Marvels was a largely optomistic story that looked on the heroes in a fairly positive light.

-Shawn

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
09-01-2005, 02:29 PM
The were two turning points.

Stan Lee.

Jack Kirby.

Victor Cabanelas
09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
when did comics go from that kinda crap that was going in the 90's to the kinda new age of great comics we're in now?

I think it started with the Onslaught cross-over. Then the whole "heroes reborn" shit made us all want to kill most Image-type books. Then things got better (at least for me) with Heroes Return and Marvel Knights.

Victor Cabanelas
09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
The were two turning points.

Stan Lee.

Jack Kirby.

He said in the 90s

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
09-01-2005, 02:35 PM
He said in the 90s

Ah.

... The death of the Collector's culture in comics. Comics stopped being product, and went back to being art.

Well, the good one's did.

Jim.
09-01-2005, 02:43 PM
I am also going to go with the Marvel Knights/Kevin Smith/Daredevil thing. It's what got me back into comics, but I got REALLY back into comics with Morrison on New X-Men.

artimoff
09-01-2005, 03:25 PM
There have always been dozens of great comics. There were just hundreds of bad ones in the early 90's. While Waid was on Cap, we had crap like Force Works comming out.

Mike Haseloff
09-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Somewhere around 2001 or 2002.

Whenever New X-Men was kicking off was probably the time I got back into comics in a big way. The Icons mini-series were part of that too. Really liked the Nightcrawler, Iceman and even Cyclops ones.

Lots of things seemed to be pretty right around that time.

Pat Loika
09-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Heroes Return. Remember that? They put Busiek and Perez on Avengers, Waid and Garney back on Cap...that whole period led to Marvel Knights, then the Ultimate line.

P.

The Human Target
09-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Vertigo started it, eventually it hit the mainstream and we got New X-Men and X-Statix and Alias.

Now I see a return to the old ways fro the Big 2.

dEnny!
09-01-2005, 05:26 PM

i'd say it was when quesada become editor-in-chief.

It's all about the mainstream with you isn't it? You disgust me. :p

I'm starting to realize comics weren't crap, I was just buying crappy comics.

Bendis was doing Goldfish back in 94.

NickBurgess
09-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Spider-Man brought me back.

dEnny!
09-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Spider-Man brought me back.

That gave me my joy and excitement back for Spider-Man.

Raphael J
09-01-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm going to go with those that said the Vertigo line. This, above many other comics/lines/everything, really set the bar on how comic storytelling could be accomplished.

NickBurgess
09-01-2005, 05:39 PM
That gave me my joy and excitement back for Spider-Man.

Me too. Basically, as a kid, pre-teen, and early teen, I read comics all the time. Up til 1994, when I was 13&14, when both the seeming lack of quality and getting my first girlfriend killed my comic collecting dead.

Then in like 2000, in college, I got an issue of Wizard, and read about some comics that were supposed to be good. I decided to try some, went to the store, and picked up Ult. Spidey (1,2,&3 collection), Ult. X-Men, and maybe a couple other ones. I loved em, so I went to another store and picked up Powers because it was Bendis.

And I've been reading straight since then.

matthew spatola
09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
What brought me back was the 9/11 Spider-Man issue. Walked back into my LCS after stopping around '97.

Doug
09-02-2005, 05:09 AM
I submit Grant Morrison writing JLA. This was the first time that DC took a Vertigo writer and put him on a mainstream book with great success.

Joshzilla
09-02-2005, 05:26 AM
I think the turning point was when the internet finally became a true majority in communications. Creators got more feedback and smaller books that were breaking new ground could advertise cheaper and get word of mouth going for them faster because of boards like this. In short, WE are why comics are so damn good. We make our voices heard.

Joshzilla
09-02-2005, 05:28 AM
As far as the comics themselves. Vertigo was the first big step in mature storytelling, MK was the first (major) step in mature superhero comics (I know Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, etc had done it before, and even done it better but they are individuals. I'm talking about a movement of a comic company as a whole).

Shwicaz
09-02-2005, 05:40 AM
It's all about the mainstream with you isn't it? You disgust me. :p

I'm starting to realize comics weren't crap, I was just buying crappy comics.

Bendis was doing Goldfish back in 94.

EXACTLY. Stray Bullets began in 1995, I believe.

Black Hole right around the same time.