PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that when the topic of Racism comes up

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 05:23 AM
It almost always only involves two Races, Whites and Blacks?

Why is that? Is it just a misperception, or are White people really more likely to be predjudiced than any other Race? Are Whites really the least tolerant Race? And likewise, are Blacks really the Race that is victumized the most by Racism? Does Racism negatively affect a Black person more than a person of any other Race?

What about the other Races? Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Middle Eastern people?

There are almost as many Hispanics in this Country now as Whites. So why do you hear far fewer stories about Hispanic people being Racist? Is it because as a whole they are less Racist than Whites?

The number of Asians in this Country are about equel to the number to Blacks in this Country, right? So why is it that we don't hear as many stories about Asians being excluded, or suffering under the burdon of living in the Minority?

Why is this do you think?

Keith P.
08-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Because we like Asian/Mexican food.

Have you ever had chitlins? Gross.

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 05:25 AM
Mexicans do all your minimum wage jobs, whitey.
Asians do all your calculus and accounting stuff, whitey.

Black people are just trying to do their own thang, and you don't like that, whitey.

I'm just pullin' that out of my ass using established racial stereotypes for satirical hyperbole.

SteveZegers
08-31-2005, 05:33 AM

Black people are just trying to do their own thang, and you don't like that, whitey.

I'm just pullin' that out of my ass using established racial stereotypes for satirical hyperbole.
Um excuse me! Jews do all my accounting you racist bastard!

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 05:34 AM
Um excuse me! Jews do all my accounting you racist bastard!
Oi, stop yelling. I do all your accounting, you think I don't know? It'll be done by tomorrow, no rush, no rush. What do I need, ulcers?

Olivier E.
08-31-2005, 05:37 AM
Latins know that they are treaten bad, but they also know if it was the opposite, they would treat the whiteys even worser, so they don't really care about that, if there's soemthing wrong, they blame themselves and not the others.

Keith P.
08-31-2005, 05:39 AM
There are almost as many Hispanics in this Country now as Whites. So why do you hear far fewer stories about Hispanic people being Racist? Is it because as a whole they are less Racist than Whites?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You're so adorable. *pinches Thudpucker's cheek*

wabi-sabi
08-31-2005, 05:45 AM
Alot of times asians are called "the model minority". Simply put, they just accept the position they are in. If they are excluded or marginalized, they just suck it up. Now I can't say I agree with this, but that happens alot.
And to say that whites are just more prejudiced than other races is plain old bullshit. Every race has racists. The reason why you only hear of whites being racists is because they are the majority in this country. During WWII, the Japanese were notorious for considering themselves superior to the rest of Asia and to the Western World. At the same time, the United States government published horrendously racist pamphlets against the Japanese.

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 05:47 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You're so adorable. *pinches Thudpucker's cheek*

OK, I like affection :)

But I'm not sure I understand why it's funny. There are almost as many Hispanics in this Country as Whites. Just interacting with others on a day to day basis, the same amount of potential conflict with people of other Races occur for Hispanics as they do for Whites.

So why is it that stories of Racism involving Whites are a daily occurance, but Racism involving Hispanics are not? Is it just perception, or is there a reason?

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 05:49 AM
You don't know whatchoo sayin' gringo.

Taxman
08-31-2005, 05:51 AM
It almost always only involves two Races, Whites and Blacks?It is almost a silly question. That is America, seriously.

SteveZegers
08-31-2005, 05:51 AM
Oi, stop yelling. I do all your accounting, you think I don't know? It'll be done by tomorrow, no rush, no rush. What do I need, ulcers?
Sorry. I'm half Irish/Half Italian so I was too busy stirring the sauce and drinking to really pay attention.

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 05:52 AM
It is almost a silly question. That is America, seriously.
It surprises me too.

Whites and Blacks have had a rather harmonious history in the United States.

xyzzy
08-31-2005, 05:54 AM
It's more about power and less about numbers.

Smokinblues
08-31-2005, 05:57 AM
It almost always only involves two Races, Whites and Blacks?

Why is that? Is it just a misperception, or are White people really more likely to be predjudiced than any other Race? Are Whites really the least tolerant Race? And likewise, are Blacks really the Race that is victumized the most by Racism? Does Racism negatively affect a Black person more than a person of any other Race?

What about the other Races? Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Middle Eastern people?

The number of Asians in this Country are about equel to the number to Blacks in this Country, right? So why is it that we don't hear as many stories about Asians being excluded, or suffering under the burdon of living in the Minority?

Why is this do you think?

Jesse.Jackson.

T-Dro
08-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Where I live, there is quite a bit of racism against Hispanics. Even though the jobs they do are mostly ones that no one else wants to do, they are accused of "stealing" jobs from whites. In neighborhoods that used to be prodominently white, when Hispanics start to move in, it becomes a "bad" neighborhood (at least in the eyes of the racists).

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 06:01 AM
It's more about power and less about numbers.

Do you think Black people have less power and opprotunities than Native Americans? Or a majority of Hispanics?

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 06:07 AM
Where I live, there is quite a bit of racism against Hispanics. Even though the jobs they do are mostly ones that no one else wants to do, they are accused of "stealing" jobs from whites. In neighborhoods that used to be prodominently white, when Hispanics start to move in, it becomes a "bad" neighborhood (at least in the eyes of the racists).

But do you think that Hispanics are mostly the victums of Racism, or do you think that they also are Racist to any extent? More Racist than Whites, less Racist?

As the Hispanic population surpasses the White population in this Country in numbers, and Hispanics come into more and more positions of power and influence, how do you think things will go?

artimoff
08-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Living in Maine, we don't get to see too many black people. But, of the ones I have met, I can say this...

If they are black & love hip-hop, they hate whitey. If they are black & don't like hip-hop, I've never detected any racism in anything they say or do.

Also, the higher someone's education,the more affluent, the less racist they seem to be.

The kid I work with came from Cambodia when he was 6 & he went to public highschool here in portland. ( he couldn't tell me who we were fighting in WWII other than Japan.) He hates Somalians. Just fucking hates them. He also says we are fighting "Sand Niggers" over in Iraq.

Joshzilla
08-31-2005, 06:25 AM
When I was just a wee Joshzilla, I asked my mom what my background I was. Well, I got that I am german, cherokee and black dutch. Okay, I was a kid...I heard "black dutch" and thought I was black. Went to my little school and told my (black) friend Jarrell that I was like him and he was just like "Nah, man."

Turns out black dutch just means you have dark eyes and hair. I coulda scored with the American Negro College Fund. By the way, if I apply for that and get turned down, think I'd win if I sued them for discrimination? Some easy cash right there. Plus, why can there be an American Negro College Fund, but if there were an American Caucasion College Fund it'd be shut down in like 5 seconds for being bigoted? I'm not racist, but that double standard bugs me.

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 06:26 AM
Living in Maine, we don't get to see too many black people. But, of the ones I have met, I can say this...

If they are black & love hip-hop, they hate whitey. If they are black & don't like hip-hop, I've never detected any racism in anything they say or do.

Also, the higher someone's education,the more affluent, the less racist they seem to be.

The kid I work with came from Cambodia when he was 6 & he went to public highschool here in portland. ( he couldn't tell me who we were fighting in WWII other than Japan.) He hates Somalians. Just fucking hates them. He also says we are fighting "Sand Niggers" over in Iraq.
Whitey? Or just you?

Patton
08-31-2005, 06:28 AM
Sorry. I'm half Irish/Half Italian so I was too busy stirring the sauce and drinking to really pay attention.
Guys, guys--let's just calm down here.

Now both of you, get off my land.

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 06:29 AM
When I was just a wee Joshzilla, I asked my mom what my background I was. Well, I got that I am german, cherokee and black dutch. Okay, I was a kid...I heard "black dutch" and thought I was black. Went to my little school and told my (black) friend Jarrell that I was like him and he was just like "Nah, man."

Turns out black dutch just means you have dark eyes and hair. I coulda scored with the American Negro College Fund. By the way, if I apply for that and get turned down, think I'd win if I sued them for discrimination? Some easy cash right there. Plus, why can there be an American Negro College Fund, but if there were an American Caucasion College Fund it'd be shut down in like 5 seconds for being bigoted? I'm not racist, but that double standard bugs me.
So the fact that the majority of American culture is pretty much tailored to white males to the point that it's gauche to bring up race at all doesn't bother you but the ANCF does? And why do you think an ACCF would be shut down? And by whom?

Patton
08-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Whitey? Or just you?
:)

Balthazar
08-31-2005, 06:31 AM
It's the most volatile dichotomy.

Thudpucker

It seems like the more intellegent a person is, the less likely being racist would make sense. Right?

But it is often the intellegent and successfull people in powerfull positions who are accused of being Racist the most.

Keith P.
Straight white males are so adorable when they think they are being oppressed.

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 06:33 AM
It seems like the more intellegent a person is, the less likely being racist would make sense. Right?

But it is often the intellegent and successfull people in powerfull positions who are accused of being Racist the most.
Success and intelligence are two entirely different things. Pat Robertson, for instance, is very successful...

Patton
08-31-2005, 06:35 AM
you know I first read this statement and thought you were being a condescending a-hole.

Then I read what you were referring to and kinda tend to agree.

Jonny Z
08-31-2005, 06:35 AM

thats not true. blacks get most of my spare change.

Patton
08-31-2005, 06:36 AM
Success and intelligence are two entirely different things. Pat Robertson, for instance, is very successful...
What're you trying to say?

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 06:39 AM
Seriously, what is up with those freaky breasts?

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 06:39 AM
What're you trying to say?
I'm just saying that it's more rare for intelligent and successful people to get accused of (or perhaps, to actually practice) racism because their intelligence informs them that there are better ways to do things. Which is not to say that there aren't any smart racists.

Seltzer Water
08-31-2005, 06:40 AM
at least none of you are obese hispanic women
it's a hard life for us

Patton
08-31-2005, 06:45 AM
I'm just saying that it's more rare for intelligent and successful people to get accused of (or perhaps, to actually practice) racism because their intelligence informs them that there are better ways to do things. Which is not to say that there aren't any smart racists.
:Oops:

sorry.

I was just kidding implying that it was possible that someone of any intelligence could not believe Pat Robertson was a moron.

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 06:46 AM

Straight White Males? Wow, really focused in on a very specific demographic didn't you? :lol:

Well, any Female of any Race isn't cute when they feel oppressed, that's a given of course.

And if the White male is gay, that would suck the cuteness right out of it. Also agreed. Not cute at all.

Can we exclude Jews from there too though? Or are Jews cute when they feel oppressed? Because I don't think that is cute.

Ok, let me see if I understand. There is simply no basis for a White, non-gay, non-jewish Male to feel that he has been treated in a negative fashion due to Racism? If he does, it is 'cute' behavior?

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 06:47 AM
:Oops:

sorry.

I was just kidding implying that it was possible that someone of any intelligence could not believe Pat Robertson was a moron.
No apology necessary - the explaination might help someone else who couldn't see it.

Keith P.
08-31-2005, 06:49 AM
Straight White Males? Wow, really focused in on a very specific demographic didn't you? :lol:

Well, any Female of any Race isn't cute when they feel oppressed, that's a given of course.

And if the White male is gay, that would suck the cuteness right out of it. Also agreed. Not cute at all.

Can we exclude Jews from there too though? Or are Jews cute when they feel oppressed? Because I don't think that is cute.

Ok, let me see if I understand. There is simply no basis for a White, non-gay, non-jewish Male to feel that he has been treated in a negative fashion due to Racism? If he does, it is 'cute' behavior?

I was referring to the whole typical "Why is their no caucasian college fund! Why is it ok for black people to use N-Word? Why is their no white pride groups!" I incessantly hear.

Its just hilarious to me.

Some SWM's act like its all so unfair.

Seltzer Water
08-31-2005, 06:49 AM
Pat Robertson is actually incredibly intelligent. I read Courting Disaster. His knowledge of American history and the parallels he draws to past civilizations is astute.

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 06:50 AM

Intellegence is a tricky thing. In many ways someone like Robertson is very intellegent, and in others very foolish and deluded.

I'm not sure something like bigotry is tied to intellegence though. It's more an emotional thing. Highly intellegent people can be bigots, and incredibly stupid people can be very tolerant of others.

Joshzilla
08-31-2005, 06:55 AM
So the fact that the majority of American culture is pretty much tailored to white males to the point that it's gauche to bring up race at all doesn't bother you but the ANCF does? And why do you think an ACCF would be shut down? And by whom?

The ANCF itself doesn't bother me, it's the fact that caucasions wouldn't be allowed to have one (well, maybe we could, but it would be picketed, etc, etc). It should just be a college fund for those who are deserving, not based on the color of one's skin. My statement about ACCF was just an example, I don't really think there should be one. As I said, I'm not racist, but the ANCF seems to be counteractive to their spirit. I know the purpose is because it is believed that there isn't other funding available for this group, but on the other hand it can come across of individualizing them and saying that they weren't worthy of other avenues of funding (again, not my opinion, just a devils advocate point of view). Maybe I'm naive, but I really don't see American culture being tailored to white males. I really feel that we (white males) are pretty much the most hated group of people in America. Yes, some white males are racist and sexist but don't judge us all from those few.

Keith P.
08-31-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm naive, but I really don't see American culture being tailored to white males.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I really feel that we (white males) are pretty much the most hated group of people in America. .

When you get back from Bizarro earth, let us all know.

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 06:59 AM
Nah, it's pretty easy being a white, straight male.

Hell, if I didn't tell most of you I was Canadian, from my experiences of visiting the States, you'd never know either.

Patton
08-31-2005, 07:02 AM
ya'll don't know what it's like, being male, middle class, and white.

Joshzilla
08-31-2005, 07:02 AM
I was referring to the whole typical "Why is their no caucasian college fund! Why is it ok for black people to use N-Word? Why is their no white pride groups!" I incessantly hear.

Its just hilarious to me.

Some SWM's act like its all so unfair.

I don't really care about fair or unfair. I'm just saying put us all in together. Also, I don't need a white pride group. I don't really think I need to get together with people like me going around saying "Look at me, look at me." As I said previously, I think it's counterproductive to wanting equal treatment. No better way to make yourself a target really (and yes, I realize the irony of posting in this thread and making that statement).

I mean, we could have a Comic Nerd Pride group and have rallies and stuff, but what would it really get us?

I mean Keith, we all know that you're gay. That's not my bag, but more power to ya. I feel the same about everybody else. I mean, I'm not into Satanism, but they have a right to their religion same as me. My mom doesn't believe in drinking or swearing, etc and I'm a damn heathen but she still loves me. I think we all need that attitude toward those different than us.

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 07:06 AM
The reason there's no "White college fund" or "White history month" is like why there's no "Kid's Day" when there's a "Mother's Day" and "Father's Day." The other 363 days of the year are "Kid's Day."

Patton
08-31-2005, 07:07 AM
The reason there's no "White college fund" or "White history month" is like why there's no "Kid's Day" when there's a "Mother's Day" and "Father's Day." The other 363 days of the year are "Kid's Day."
bingo.

Keith P.
08-31-2005, 07:10 AM
I don't really care about fair or unfair. I'm just saying put us all in together. Also, I don't need a white pride group. I don't really think I need to get together with people like me going around saying "Look at me, look at me." As I said previously, I think it's counterproductive to wanting equal treatment. No better way to make yourself a target really (and yes, I realize the irony of posting in this thread and making that statement).

Oh Jesus titty fucking christ.

In the US, every day is a white pride day. You honestly have no clue. Not that you can help it, some people just have an inability to understand what its like to be an outsider, and not neccasarily want to be assimilated.

I'm gay, I like things that are geared toward me. I like Gay rodeos, I like to eat in gay resteraunts, I like to patronize gay owned businesses and attend gay orientated events. Because it affects every aspect of who I am. Its an integral part of me, way beyond having sex with other me.

You are the same way with your race and sexual preference, you just don't realize it because everything is geared toward you.

Joshzilla
08-31-2005, 07:11 AM

So let's have a "People's College Fund". That's all I'm saying. I mean, I don't know what it's like being a black man. Maybe it's harder than I imagine. Honestly, I do think it would be hard being a gay male in today's society, especially here in the bible-belt where I am. I'm not saying that these groups or other don't deserve anything. I'm just saying that we all deserve equal treatment. You guys act as though I hate everyone, when it's just the opposite...

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Jesus.

50 odd years ago, if you were black in America you weren't considered a human being. Even today gay people have to fight for basic rights. Women are still earning less for doing the same jobs. They need leverage because we still live in a society, like it or not, that is dominated by white, straight males. In business, in politics, everywhere.

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 07:13 AM
So let's have a "People's College Fund". That's all I'm saying. I mean, I don't know what it's like being a black man. Maybe it's harder than I imagine. Honestly, I do think it would be hard being a gay male in today's society, especially here in the bible-belt where I am. I'm not saying that these groups or other don't deserve anything. I'm just saying that we all deserve equal treatment. You guys act as though I hate everyone, when it's just the opposite...
Are you aware of how many scholarships are out there for ANYONE who can earn them?

Seltzer Water
08-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Are you aware of how many scholarships are out there for ANYONE who can earn them?

that book of scholarships has some that are limited to certain avenues

DrMachine
08-31-2005, 07:15 AM
I'd just like to point out that hispanic/latino is not a race it's an ethnicity

there are actually only 4 "official" races
white, black/african, asian, and native american (this category sometimes has different names)

these designations are based on physical characteristics (least of which is skin) hair texture, facial characteristics...etc..etc...

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Burger King even offered a scholarship to people who applied and had good enough grades.

Patton

white, black/african, asian, and native american (this category sometimes has different names)

these designations are based on physical characteristics (least of which is skin) hair texture, facial characteristics...etc..etc...
I had no idea.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
To be fair, I don't think anyone is acting like you hate everyone. Most of the responses I've seen are just disagreeing with your opinion on the subject.

Joshzilla
08-31-2005, 07:24 AM
Oh Jesus titty fucking christ.

In the US, every day is a white pride day. You honestly have no clue. Not that you can help it, some people just have an inability to understand what its like to be an outsider, and not neccasarily want to be assimilated.

I'm gay, I like things that are geared toward me. I like Gay rodeos, I like to eat in gay resteraunts, I like to patronize gay owned businesses and attend gay orientated events. Because it affects every aspect of who I am. Its an integral part of me, way beyond having sex with other me.

You are the same way with your race and sexual preference, you just don't realize it because everything is geared toward you.

I can understand that. I really can. I live in a city that has an extremely high population of gay people. I've had drinks in gay bars even though I'm straight. At first I was treated like an from another damn planet, but when everyone realized I was ok, it was cool. I'm just saying don't be an asshole to me because I try and get along with everyone. Many years ago when I was at college, I was walking to the student centeer. It was gay pride week. Well, when I got to the center a gay promoter (whatever you call someone handing out paraphanalia) asked if I was gay and when I said no he said something to the effect of "So you're just another asshole." It just kinda pisses me off that that is the assumption made about me.

And I can imagine what it's like to be an "outsider" as you say.

Gotta ask though, what makes a gay rodeo? Same thing as a regular rodeo, just everyone there is gay?

Seltzer Water
08-31-2005, 07:26 AM
I can understand that. I really can. I live in a city that has an extremely high population of gay people. I've had drinks in gay bars even though I'm straight. At first I was treated like an from another damn planet, but when everyone realized I was ok, it was cool. I'm just saying don't be an asshole to me because I try and get along with everyone. Many years ago when I was at college, I was walking to the student centeer. It was gay pride week. Well, when I got to the center a gay promoter (whatever you call someone handing out paraphanalia) asked if I was gay and when I said no he said something to the effect of "So you're just another asshole." It just kinda pisses me off that that is the assumption made about me.

Gotta ask though, what makes a gay rodeo? Same thing as a regular rodeo, just everyone there is gay?

Do you make better country-punk than Hank III

Joshzilla
To be fair, I don't think anyone is acting like you hate everyone. Most of the responses I've seen are just disagreeing with your opinion on the subject.

Yeah, re-reading you are probably right. I'm kinda loopy on Dayquil and fever at the moment. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Thudpucker

But new Races can come into existance, can't they?

Hispanics are the decendants of Mediteranian Europeans (mostly Spanish) and Native Americans who had children together. Over time, new Racial characteristics emerged and wasn't a new Race created, one whose characteristics will pass to thier children?

It's like the theory of why Italians have the Racial characteristics they have. Whites and Blacks having Children together over many generations until eventually new Racial characteristics emerged.

Xander Boune
08-31-2005, 07:30 AM

There are four major groups, but I think that the native american group is just an offshoot of the group Asians are classified under (called Mongoloids by anthropologists). Then there's the Caucasoid (white/latin/arab/persian/indian/ect), Negroid (African), and I'm pretty sure the fourth one is Australoid, which contains the Australian aborigines. There might be a fifth group for another subrace in Africa, but the name escapes me.

DrMachine
08-31-2005, 07:32 AM
But new Races can come into existance, can't they?

Hispanics are the decendants of Mediteranian Europeans (mostly Spanish) and Native Americans who had children together. Over time, new Racial characteristics emerged and wasn't a new Race created, one whose characteristics will pass to thier children?

It's like the theory of why Italians have the Racial characteristics they have. Whites and Blacks having Children together over many generations until eventually new Racial characteristics emerged.

no actually, you have to fall into one category or another...it's a very mathematical/scientific method of classification...it's something along the lines of one of those cosmo tests..where you get certain points for certain characteristics...then you add it it all up and the number of points decides where sociologists categorize you in terms of race

the italian (scicilians) would be white, as are many hispanics, although there are black-hispanics, asian-hispanics...and the type most people are familiar the dark/short migrant workers are the native/indian-hispanics, who I might add have much worse problems with racism in mexico than they have here

Boris the Blade
The concept of "race" was invented by the Nazi's, wasn't it? :)

Thudpucker
There are four major groups, but I think that the native american group is just an offshoot of the group Asians are classified under (called Mongoloids by anthropologists). Then there's the Caucasoid (white/latin/arab/persian/indian/ect), Negroid (African), and I'm pretty sure the fourth one is Australoid, which contains the Australian aborigines. There might be a fifth group for another subrace in Africa, but the name escapes me.

I never realized how little I knew about this, I'm going to google up some info because now I'm curious.

Keith P.
08-31-2005, 07:33 AM
"So you're just another asshole." It just kinda pisses me off that that is the assumption made about me.

You poor thing. You got called a name. Once. Ohhhh. I've been called a faggot about a thousand times.

No you don't. Your posts show you have not the slightest clue.

I can't do something as simple as hold my boyfriends hand in public without possibly drawing some kind of violent reaction. Something you completely take for granted. Or get married. Or put my hand on his shoulder in an affectionate manner without people staring or making comments, possibly trying to kick my ass. (I say try) Thats the reason for gay orientated stuff, I can do that there. I don't have to hide.

I doubt if you've ever had to worry about anyone throwing away one of your job apps because your name sounded too "white", or had to worry about not getting an apartment because of your race.

I also bet you've never asked anyone to walk you to your car, because of the possibility of rape.

Until any of this applies to you, don't bitch about racial college funds, BET, gay pride parades, feminists groups etc. You haven't earned the right.

Pretty much.

DrMachine
08-31-2005, 07:33 AM

dude...mongoloid is trisonomy 21, I think you mean mongolian-ish...or something along those lines

but absolutely, I had the labels off, but it's been years since I had a sociology class

Xander Boune
08-31-2005, 07:34 AM
I never realized how little I knew about this, I'm going to google up some info because now I'm curious.

I just went to wikipedia just now, and there's a pretty good website for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race)

Apparently the fifth race is called Capoid, and it contains the Bushmen.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
08-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Race is pretty much the human equivalent of placement of spots on a tiger, it's just physical variation in a species. It's a set of physical characteristics that we've convinced ourselves means more than it actually does. Race only has social significance because we've assigned it (from inside and outside the defined groups). People won't accept that it has no inherent meaning and that it's all too fluid to be ridigly defined. Humans tend to like boxes and categories.

Captain Sensation
08-31-2005, 07:40 AM

almost post of the day! :)

Thomas Mauer
08-31-2005, 07:42 AM
The concept of "race" was invented by the Nazi's, wasn't it? :)
A teeny tiny bit earlier. Just by a few millennia. ;)

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 07:43 AM
no actually, you have to fall into one category or another...it's a very mathematical/scientific method of classification...it's something along the lines of one of those cosmo tests..where you get certain points for certain characteristics...then you add it it all up and the number of points decides where sociologists categorize you in terms of race

the italian (scicilians) would be white, as are many hispanics, although there are black-hispanics, asian-hispanics...and the type most people are familiar the dark/short migrant workers are the native/indian-hispanics, who I might add have much worse problems with racism in mexico than they have here

I can't believe I've never looked up this info before, because it is extremely interesting.

I found a site that goes in depth here for anyone else who is interested:

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/LifeScience/HumanRaces/RacesMan/RacesMan.htm

The one thing that it differs on from what you have said is that native/indian-hispanics would be in the same catagory as other asian-hispanics, since both share the same root Race of Mongoloid.

DrMachine
08-31-2005, 07:45 AM
I can't believe I've never looked up this info before, because it is extremely interesting.

I found a site that goes in depth here for anyone else who is interested:

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/LifeScience/HumanRaces/RacesMan/RacesMan.htm

The one thing that it differs on from what you have said is that native/indian-hispanics would be in the same catagory as other asian-hispanics, since both share the same root Race of Mongoloid.

when I say asian-I'm actually referring to people from China (or another asian country) that have have moved to and settled in say Mexico

natives would be more along the lines of native americans/indians

oh...and I find it very amusing that mongoloid is apprarently a sociologically acceptable term, it really does describe the condition of down's syndrome in medicine

Xander Boune
08-31-2005, 07:46 AM
dude...mongoloid is trisonomy 21

Mongoloid is actually used as a racial classification, but you're right that it's also been used as a synonym for people with Downs syndrome. It's pretty offensive, though, and that usage is being phased out.

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 07:49 AM
A teeny tiny bit earlier. Just by a few millennia. ;)
I know, but there's got to be a Nazi reference in every debate or else it's just WEIRD.

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 07:52 AM
I just went to wikipedia just now, and there's a pretty good website for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race)

Apparently the fifth race is called Capoid, and it contains the Bushmen.

Apparently there are 6 races:

Caucasoids. 1,000 million people with variable skin colour; white-dark brown. Hair variable, never woolly, body hair often thick. Lips tend to be thin. Three subdivisions exist, the Nordic, the Mediterranean and the Alpine.

The Nordic group are often tall, blonde and narrow headed - Scandinavia, Baltic, Germany, France, Britain The Mediterranean group (Southern France, Spain, Italy and oddly, Wales Egyptians, Semites, Persians, Afghans and some Indians. Lighter in body build, dark and narrow headed. The Alpine group extends from the Mediterranean to Asia. Broad headed, square jaws, olive skin, brown hair.

Mongoloids Most numerous of the present day populations, split into three groups

The Eastern Siberians, Eskimos and the Northern American Indians
The Japanese, Koreans, Chinese
The Indonesians and Malays

Negroids 100 million from Africa south of the Sahara and Melanesians of the S Pacific.

Others. We also have to fit in somewhere the Central African pigmies, the Bushmen, and the Australoids.

Although I still havn't found the info on why the Bushman and Austrailian Aboriginies are so genetically different from other Black people that they are thier own Races.

Also how are pigmies genetically defferent enough to be thier own Race? Other than thier average height I don't see much differance between them and other South American Indians.

Your Pal, Carl
08-31-2005, 07:53 AM
ya'll don't know what it's like, being male, middle class, and white.
:lol: Best use of a song quote ever.

DrMachine
08-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Apparently there are 6 races:

Although I still havn't found the info on why the Bushman and Austrailian Aboriginies are so genetically different from other Black people that they are thier own Races.

Also how are pigmies genetically defferent enough to be thier own Race? Other than thier average height I don't see much differance between them and other South American Indians.

when they say "genetically different" then that is actually the basis for the difference...they are genetically different enough to merit being classified into a different or their own race

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Isn't there a definiton of race that says nationalities can be considered races? Like "the French race"? Somebody showed that to me in a debate here once.

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
Pat Robertson is actually incredibly intelligent. I read Courting Disaster. His knowledge of American history and the parallels he draws to past civilizations is astute.
Google '"Pat Robertson" ghost written' . Just sayin'.

DrMachine
08-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Isn't there a definiton of race that says nationalities can be considered races? Like "the French race"? Somebody showed that to me in a debate here once.

wow..that's new to me

if that's true, it would defeat the purpose of classifing groups into races

Thomas Mauer
08-31-2005, 08:09 AM
I know, but there's got to be a Nazi reference in every debate or else it's just WEIRD.
How do you work a Nazi reference into a debate about woodchucks? :confused:

Thomas Mauer
08-31-2005, 08:12 AM
That's archaic. Think up to 18th century. It went pretty much out of style after that.

stevapalooza
08-31-2005, 08:18 AM
Gay rodeos? Isn't that any rodeo?

Thudpucker
08-31-2005, 08:19 AM

There are many definitions of race besides the scientific one.

A race is a distinct population of humans distinguished in some way from other humans. The most widely observed races are those based on skin color, facial features, ancestry, genetics, and national origin. Conceptions of race, as well as specific racial groupings, are often controversial due to their political and sociological uses and implications.

If people chose to use the word Race in a number of ways, then eventually all of those ways become valid definitions of the word.

Scientifically skin color has no bearing on racial classification, for instance. It is other genetic traits that classify race, skin color is just a reaction to environments humans live in. But if people chose to define a race by skin color, or other things like Nationality or Religion, then a new definition of the term Race is born.

Keith P.
08-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Gay rodeos? Isn't that any rodeo?

The cowboys are in shape at a gay rodeo.

Criden
08-31-2005, 08:21 AM
What do I need, ulcers?

He said this a good fifty, sixty times last weekend. :grope:

half guard
08-31-2005, 08:22 AM
way beyond having sex with other me.

you have sex with your own clone? ;) seriously, bravo! for setting the record straight. a lot of people take basic expressions of affection for granted and don't realize that a gay couple face legitimate potential violence for simply holding hands (god forbid if you wanted to kiss in public). it's sickening and pathetic that you have to be afraid that hugging your man in public would lead to you having to defend yourself.

Foolish Mortal
08-31-2005, 08:24 AM

Well first off, not all rap and hip-hop music is about hating white people. It's only a small percentage. And it's only that small percentage that the mainstream news media really pays any attention to.

Secondly, being highly educated doesn't make people immune to racist or prejudiced ideas. Many of the Nazi leaders were well-educated and intellectual, but had a blinding hatred for the Jews.

And today, a lot of the Neo-Nazi and White Supremacist group leaders are well-educated. And that goes for some of the "Black Supremacist" that have popped up over the years.

As for the kid you work with, his comments don't surprise me. He probably picked up the "Sand N*****" stuff from other kids he went to school with. And those kids got it from their parents. It's how the cycle repeats itself over the years. And it's why racism and prejudice will never completely go away.

Boris the Blade
08-31-2005, 08:28 AM
He said this a good fifty, sixty times last weekend. :grope:
It's my favorite jewish phrase.

My uncle used to say it all the time, when anything stressful came up, and he made jokes to deal with it.

mbakunin
08-31-2005, 09:53 AM

I can assure you that prejudice is equitably distributed among all levels of wealth, income, and education in this country. For instance, some of the most successful MBA's I've ever met were stone racists and quite ready to express it after a drink or two - as long as I hadn't said anything prior that excluded me from their assumed fraternity of like-minded white closet racists. Intelligence and wealth do not preclude racism, they enhance it and make it more dangerously effective. Hitler's hierarchy was full of the best and brightest Germany had to offer - remember, it wasn't the rioting brown-shirt boys down at the Beer Hall Putsche who planned and constructed the Final Solution; rather, it was engineered by minds trained in universities, in business, in politics.

By the same token, it's not just a white issue. I've dated black women and encountered some really nasty reactions from both blacks AND whites, from all ends of the socioeconomic spectrum. There's really no condition or conditions (education, income, et al.) that translate to a greater or lesser tendency toward racism, at least not in my experience. Even belonging to a persecuted minority (either currently or historically) doesn't preclude it. I suppose it really boils down to how you consciously choose to view reality and how you act upon that view - same as the choice between good and evil, Jedi and Sith, the Blue Pill and the Red Pill...

artimoff
08-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Well first off, not all rap and hip-hop music is about hating white people. It's only a small percentage. And it's only that small percentage that the mainstream news media really pays any attention to.

Secondly, being highly educated doesn't make people immune to racist or prejudiced ideas. Many of the Nazi leaders were well-educated and intellectual, but had a blinding hatred for the Jews.

And today, a lot of the Neo-Nazi and White Supremacist group leaders are well-educated. And that goes for some of the "Black Supremacist" that have popped up over the years.

As for the kid you work with, his comments don't surprise me. He probably picked up the "Sand N*****" stuff from other kids he went to school with. And those kids got it from their parents. It's how the cycle repeats itself over the years. And it's why racism and prejudice will never completely go away.

I said ,

But, of the ones I have met, I can say this....

Los
08-31-2005, 10:17 AM

is this what you mean?

negroid, caucasoid, mongoloid, and australoid?

Sounds like it, but this is the terms i knew.

EDIT: Nevermind I read yours and other's previous post.

This is actually a pretty interesting topic.

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 10:19 AM
I can assure you that prejudice is equitably distributed among all levels of wealth, income, and education in this country. For instance, some of the most successful MBA's I've ever met were stone racists and quite ready to express it after a drink or two - as long as I hadn't said anything prior that excluded me from their assumed fraternity of like-minded white closet racists. Intelligence and wealth do not preclude racism, they enhance it and make it more dangerously effective. Hitler's hierarchy was full of the best and brightest Germany had to offer - remember, it wasn't the rioting brown-shirt boys down at the Beer Hall Putsche who planned and constructed the Final Solution; rather, it was engineered by minds trained in universities, in business, in politics.

By the same token, it's not just a white issue. I've dated black women and encountered some really nasty reactions from both blacks AND whites, from all ends of the socioeconomic spectrum. There's really no condition or conditions (education, income, et al.) that translate to a greater or lesser tendency toward racism, at least not in my experience. Even belonging to a persecuted minority (either currently or historically) doesn't preclude it. I suppose it really boils down to how you consciously choose to view reality and how you act upon that view - same as the choice between good and evil, Jedi and Sith, the Blue Pill and the Red Pill...

Intelligence precluded by racism is no longer intelligence; it's informed ignorance.

Foolish Mortal
08-31-2005, 12:22 PM
I said ,

Originally Posted by Artimoff
But, of the ones I have met, I can say this....

I understood that. I was making a point about the black people you apparently haven't met. :)

And I was also addressing your comments about education and the kid you worked with.

half guard
08-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Intelligence precluded by racism is no longer intelligence; it's informed ignorance.

damn, that's a sig-worthy quote if i ever saw one.

MattKrizan
08-31-2005, 12:37 PM
damn, that's a sig-worthy quote if i ever saw one.

As much as I agree with the spirit of the statement, it's a bit of an oxymoron considering the definition of ignorance is to be uninformed.

Fourthman
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
As much as I agree with the spirit of the statement, it's a bit of an oxymoron considering the definition of ignorance is to be uninformed.
I know I've got my poetic license around here somwhere...