PDA

View Full Version : Last Nights Daily Show

Oeming
08-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Wow, for the first time ever, I thought john acted a bit like a dick to his guest- usually when he has guest on the opposing side of his beliefs, he's really cool with them- while he tried to make up for it at the end, he seemed to be abusing his "home turf" quite a bit, and kind of railed into his guest instead of letting him answer questions.
Anyone else see this?

Smokinblues
08-26-2005, 08:11 AM
who was the guest?

Nick_Ardill
08-26-2005, 08:14 AM
I disagree. I think the guest was unresponsive and stand offish. He had a chip on his shoulder the moment he walked out. IMO.

Gregory
08-26-2005, 08:15 AM
You can all watch it here. (http://movies.crooksandliars.com/The-Daily-Show-Hitchens-8-25-05.wmv)

Boris the Blade
08-26-2005, 08:17 AM
It just seemed to me that Jon was trying to stand his ground against a aggressive but well-spoken guest. I welcomed the intensity of the arguement. Jon was especially right at the end when it came to the comments about how the President responds to the press.

Mark
08-26-2005, 08:19 AM
who was the guest?
Christopher Hitchens. I think that's precisely why they had such a hard time, because he's not someone like Rick Santorum that is completely opposed to everything Jon believes in. There's some common ground, and Hitchens' disagreements are nuances of a rather complicated set of beliefs, and are thus a lot harder to refute. Not that I agree with him.

Ben Rosen
08-26-2005, 08:21 AM
no, i didn't really get that vibe.

Patton
08-26-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm not getting it so far.

That guy was kind of more smug than his usual people though--whining about Jon's jokes getting applause.

But Jon is letting him speak quite a bit and he's very calmly disagreeing.

I'm not seeing what you're saying.

Nick_Ardill
08-26-2005, 08:27 AM
It just seemed to me that Jon was trying to stand his ground against a aggressive but well-spoken guest. I welcomed the intensity of the arguement. Jon was especially right at the end when it came to the comments about how the President responds to the press.
Agreed. Jon it seemed that Jon wanted the argument to have a little more structure and get a word in, but Hitchens flew every which way with his arguments. There were alot of points where Jon had points that were very valid and Hutchins talked over him. I think Jon had to become kind of prickish just so he could get a word in edgewise. And I TOTALLY agree with Jon on the Bush statement that Hutchins was completely off about.

Patton
08-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Okay, now it's getting into an "interrupting" thing but only because that guy wouldn't let Jon talk--he just keeps going on and on and Jon has to, to get a word in.

people who deserve respect don't call people "sunshine" in a condescending manner.

Nick_Ardill
08-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Okay, now it's getting into an "interrupting" thing but only because that guy wouldn't let Jon talk--he just keeps going on and on and Jon has to, to get a word in.

people who deserve respect don't call people "sunshine" in a condescending manner.
Yeah at that point I would've booted him in the nuts. I guess I'm not as patient as Jon Stewart but I wouldn't let anyone talk to me like that. Guest or not. And at the end when Jon tried to get Hutchins to plug his book he had to like threaten him to not get a plug if he didn't shut up.

Doc Randy
08-26-2005, 08:40 AM
I've been a big fan of Hitch for years. I love the guy even when I disagree with him.

It isn't that Hitchens is smug. It's that he's usually pretty tanked. It was the first interview I have seen with him where he didn't have a scotch and cigarette.

It was one of the most passionate interview I have seen Jon give. Great tv!

artimoff
08-26-2005, 08:41 AM
So, Hitchens says that we should have gone in Iraq, that we could have thought of a better plan, that the White House hasn't really said anything but practiced lines about what & how we are doing in Iraq? That we should have gon in 12 years ago?

I'd have to agree with that.

Bill?
08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
So, Hitchens says that we should have gone in Iraq, that we could have thought of a better plan, that the White House hasn't really said anything but practiced lines about what & how we are doing in Iraq? That we should have gon in 12 years ago?

I'd have to agree with that.

Keep in mind that Hitchens is a notorious drunk and was probably hammered during the interview.

artimoff
08-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Keep in mind that Hitchens is a notorious drunk and was probably hammered during the interview.

Even better. :D

Oeming
08-26-2005, 09:32 AM
See, I thought Jon kept asking him questions he wouldnt let him answer- like the Map question, this is the kind of guy that backs up his answers with facts and when he tried that Jon would turn the question away, and the guy never got to answer Jons first question- and then he played up to his own audience.
I love Stewart and Tivo every show, Im not saying he was a total dick, but just enough to suprise me.

Generic Poster
08-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Agreed. Jon it seemed that Jon wanted the argument to have a little more structure and get a word in, but Hitchens flew every which way with his arguments. There were alot of points where Jon had points that were very valid and Hutchins talked over him. I think Jon had to become kind of prickish just so he could get a word in edgewise. And I TOTALLY agree with Jon on the Bush statement that Hutchins was completely off about.

Hitchens writes exactly like he talks. His Vanity Fair articles are all over the place, and are borderline incomprehinsible.

Smokinblues
08-26-2005, 09:48 AM
i didn't see this. i will say i was surprised to see trent lott on the daily show the other night, and it looked like he handled himself fairly well

Raphael J
08-26-2005, 09:51 AM
i didn't see this. i will say i was surprised to see trent lott on the daily show the other night, and it looked like he handled himself fairly well

Stewart is very good at handling his guests, but I find that he often softballs them. He'll ask a hard question and laugh it off (not always, but sometimes). I know he doesn't see it as his place, because he doesn't see the show as a news source but as satire, but I just wish he'd really stick it to his guests (from both sides) a little better.

Dreg
08-26-2005, 09:56 AM
I thought you guys were talking about the Trent Lot rerun that aired at 8. I was gonna say that I thought they were both pretty well-behaved. And I didn't think Stewart softballed him at all; especially when he asked him if he felt the Republican party was in Valhalla now that they controlled most of the government.

Oeming
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM

Thats why I love his show, he has people of opposing views on and treats them with respect and they can actually talk- unlike pretty much every other show out there.
M!

Blake Sims
08-26-2005, 10:08 AM
this is an interesting interview

stevapalooza
08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Hitchens is always a snide, ornery cuss, so that's nothing abnormal for him. And I don't think Jon Stewart really attacked him, they were just disagreeing and debating. As people should be doing in times like these.

NickT
08-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Stewart is very good at handling his guests, but I find that he often softballs them. He'll ask a hard question and laugh it off (not always, but sometimes). I know he doesn't see it as his place, because he doesn't see the show as a news source but as satire, but I just wish he'd really stick it to his guests (from both sides) a little better.
Well, I look at it this way. Would you rather he goes hard, and the guests don't return or soft and they return? He isn't there to find the truth, he's there to entertain :)

Raphael J
08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Well, I look at it this way. Would you rather he goes hard, and the guests don't return or soft and they return? He isn't there to find the truth, he's there to entertain :)

Oh absolutely. I know he's there to entertain, but it's just really odd to see people like Trent Lott, Rick Santorum, and John Kerry on a show where the host is intelligent and can raise many interesting, relevant, and tough questions. At the end of the day, I prefer that people keep coming on the show. But at the same time, it's hard for me to watch these guests go on the show and not be asked the tough questions that I know Stewart is capable of.

Amos Moses
08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
I think they both acted too aggressively, but I IMO Jon was just trying to keep up with that dude.

Horizon Drive
08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
I thought Jon was the first interviewer who actually had Hitchens on the ropes. I thought it was off-putting to him.

Did you see Hitchens body language at the end? Wow. He literally turned his back on the audience. He was facing the exit. Not only that, as soon as the interview ended, Hitchens bolted for the door. If you're gonna dish it out, learn to take it, sunshine....

Oeming
08-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Oh absolutely. I know he's there to entertain, but it's just really odd to see people like Trent Lott, Rick Santorum, and John Kerry on a show where the host is intelligent and can raise many interesting, relevant, and tough questions. At the end of the day, I prefer that people keep coming on the show. But at the same time, it's hard for me to watch these guests go on the show and not be asked the tough questions that I know Stewart is capable of.

Actually I think Jon DOES ask the hard questions, but usually he does them in a way thats non combative, he lets the other person say his thing and say "well, we'll never agree on that, will we?"

xyzzy
08-26-2005, 12:00 PM
I think he'll act different depending on what kind of interview the guest seems to want. If they just want to goof around, he can do that. If they want to have a frank exchange of ideas, he'll do that. And if they want to fight, he responds in kind.

jordan michael
08-26-2005, 12:06 PM
i don't watch the daily show regularly. once and again, but i feel stewart is a little pompus because of that show.

JABSEN
08-26-2005, 12:11 PM
I think he definetely cut off Hitchens.Of course the interview looked like it was edited a bit.So who knows if Hitchens had some long-ass rant.

I wish this had been one of his longer interviews.

Raphael J
08-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Actually I think Jon DOES ask the hard questions, but usually he does them in a way thats non combative, he lets the other person say his thing and say "well, we'll never agree on that, will we?"

Well, I should have clarified that then. I think Jon asks these questions, but I wish he did it in a manner that required a definitive answer. But, as I said earlier, it's an entertainment show at heart, so I can't complain.