PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone learn to draw?

Shane W
03-29-2005, 12:00 PM
From any skill level? Or do you need a certain amount of "natural" ability? Opinions? Resources? Hints?

Gregory
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Anyone can learn to draw. It's more about training the mind to percieve what's really there instead of what it assumes is there. Then you leanr how to use materials to portray what you see or wish to coommunicate.

Shane W
03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
I would like to get to a point where I could draw something twice and it obviously be the same person or character.

Plan 9
03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
I think it helps to start early.

neophyte
03-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Like foreign languages, artistic aptitude is easier to develop when you're younger.

JABSEN
03-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Well,I'm trying to find out.I drew when I was younger ad was decent.Took about a 13 year break.Trying to start again.

I'll let you know

Balthazar
03-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I think anyone can learn, but I also think that certain people have a natural apptitude for it. My father never took an art class and as far as I know never tried to draw seriously, but evry once in a while he would doodle something and you could tell there was a natural ability there.

TyPierce
I wish to high heaven I could draw, as I'd love to be able to sit down and sketch things that actually look like they do in real life. I can visualize, but it gets lost halfway down my arm and ends up looking like a pencil sneeze.

I think I could probably learn, but I don't have the time to devote.

Which is my own fault, I guess, but what can you do?

WAKKAJAWAKKA
From any skill level? Or do you need a certain amount of "natural" ability? Opinions? Resources? Hints?

Well, Old People Can't. Hint.

Wayno.

Shane W
03-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Well, Old People Can't. Hint.

Wayno.

Suck me, Junior.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Suck me, Junior.

Ew.

Wayno.

~Hernandez~
03-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I agree with the 'some people have an aptitude' theory, but I also think its just like anything else: the more you do it the better you get at it.

DaGetHighKnight
03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Ive never had one lesson in drawing or painting and I can get down....I belive You have to be born with it in your blood and discover it on your own . Also practice makes perfect.

AAlgar
03-29-2005, 01:48 PM
I think you definitely need to be visually oriented.

St Omo
03-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Anyone can learn to draw. What is important is what you wish to draw, how you wish to draw it and whether or not you're willing to put forth the effort required to achieve them.

Natural talent just makes it easier to achieve said goals. It's the Minute Rice of the art world.

Taki Soma
03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
yes, anyone can draw. and they can learn to draw well.

drawing is a hand - eye coordination thing, and you can train yourself to learn this particular part of the brain with enough ambition and determination.

now, drawing comics is a different part of the brain, it requires design, and story telling and such as well as drawing well, which of course, could be learned.

William Satterwhite
03-29-2005, 01:52 PM
I think anyone can learn to draw but it takes a combination of natural ability and desire to make it all work. I think a strong desire can overcome a lack of perceived natural ability and vice versa, natural ability can shine through despite a lack of interest or desire. The true masters have the perfect combination of both.

Persevering Guy
03-29-2005, 01:57 PM
everything I can do was learned. It takes a lot of discipline and persistence. When I was a little kid, I used to always draw with my brother. But I couldn't really draw past stick figures. And he was the artist in the family. He's naturally talented. I'm not. But I disciplined myself in the craft and worked at it and spent over 1600 hours drawing my comic. I've surpassed my brother's level. But, he can still draw better than me without a reference. I can draw a good face, because I've drawn them over and over in Ciderview, but I can't draw anything else. You'll see in my next comic, I have some pages that are not referrenced and look pretty bad (unpurpose, it suits the story).

So, yes, you can learn to draw, but it's not easy and you need to look at what you're drawing (use reference). Learning to draw is learning to see.

stevapalooza
03-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Here's a question--if the ability to draw is a natural talent do you think it's genetic? How many artists here have other family members who can draw?

Shane W
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Here's a question--if the ability to draw is a natural talent do you think it's genetic? How many artists here have other family members who can draw?

Well, i can't very well, but I have family members that are amazing.

Balthazar
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM

All of my sisters can draw and paint and are creative. I don't know for sure if it is genetic, but it certainly seems like it.

William Satterwhite
03-29-2005, 02:11 PM

My dad is into architectural design and was a topographical engineer (he drew maps) in the army, if that counts.

~Hernandez~
03-29-2005, 02:20 PM

My uncle, brother, and sister are all great artists. And my MOM could doodle womens faces beautifully.

When I was a kid, my MOM didnt slap me in front of the TV or give me acomputer. I got a box of crayons and a tablet. Or we would play scrabble. She had me reading novels when I was only 8 or 9 (Stephen King!). My Dad would buy me an occasional comic book, and when my brothe would come home from the service, he would have comics. I think part of the problem with kids today is that parents dont push for creativity, or teach spelling and reading.

Wastrel
03-29-2005, 04:46 PM
if you can put a pencil on paper and wiggle it around, you can draw. not everyone is able to draw well. most people wont be able to draw well no matter how much work they put into it.

Race
03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
No. Sorry.