PDA

View Full Version : TRICKED by Alex Robinson - Who's reading it?

dEnny!
08-19-2005, 12:31 PM
I remember a handful of guys being really excited about Alex Robinson's newest book Tricked from Top Shelf.

I'm a little over halfway completed and have really enjoyed this tale of 6 people who's lives seem to be on a collision course. Even the supporting cast are interesting and almost wish they'd get more screen time. I like how Alex is telling the story, with short little bursts for each character, moving the story along the entire time.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/covers/tricked.jpg

From the Eisner award-winning creator of Box Office Poison (voted by Wizard magazine as the best indy graphic novel of all time), comes the highly anticipated original graphic novel, Tricked. Four years in development and clocking in at 352-pages, Alex Robinson, "the master of true-to-life relationship drama" (Library Journal), has created another tour de force. Tricked follows the lives of six people -- a reclusive rock legend, a heartbroken waitress, a counterfeiter, an obsessive crank, a lost daughter, and a backstabbing lover -- whose lives are unconnected until an act of violence brings them spiraling in on each other. Combining intriguing characters with a story structure that is both complex and innovative, Tricked is not to be missed! -- 352 pages

Boris the Blade
08-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Read it.

Really liked it.

Wished it was as long as Box Office Poison. The last fifty pages fleeeeeeeew by.

dEnny!
08-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Read it.

Really liked it.

Wished it was as long as Box Office Poison. The last fifty pages fleeeeeeeew by.

I just finished page 192.

Michael John Wheeler
08-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Hurry up and finish it, Denny, so we can talk about the ending!

Boris the Blade
08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Whew. Trust me, the last ten chapters of the 50 chapter countdown... you won't be able to put it down.

Mike Storniolo
08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm getting ready to start reading it in the next day or two. I can't wait, it looks amazing.

Ben Rosen
08-19-2005, 12:38 PM
LOOOOOOOVED IT.
I don't know how you are able to read it in more than one sitting. Last weekend I read it all in one night because I couldn't put it down. Amazing stuff.

JamesV
08-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm going to be starting it in the next week or so. I loved Box Office Poison, so I have high expectations.

Michael John Wheeler
08-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm going to be starting it in the next week or so. I loved Box Office Poison, so I have high expectations.

I liked it better than BOP. While BOP was good, Tricked reads better as a complete work.

JamesV
08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
I liked it better than BOP. While BOP was good, Tricked reads better as a complete work.

Better works for me. :)

JABSEN
08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm about to start

Mike Storniolo
08-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Well I started reading it earlier, I'm about 150 pages into it and loving every page. Robinson really knows how to craft a story, and a well reading one at that. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow night...awesome so far. Crazy genuis...

TonyFleecs
08-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Read the first 20 pages really late one night last week. Went to sleep. have been super busy ever since.

Really want to read it soon. I met Alex at chicago. He was really cool to me.

Saul Colt
08-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I picked it up but wont have time to read it for a few weeks at least.

glad to hear you guys are really digging it!

saul

Brewtown Andy
08-19-2005, 07:20 PM
It's been sitting in my work bag. I haven't gotten a chance to crack it yet.

dEnny!
08-19-2005, 08:27 PM
LOOOOOOOVED IT.
I don't know how you are able to read it in more than one sitting. Last weekend I read it all in one night because I couldn't put it down. Amazing stuff.

Necessity, fortunately he's got it nicely broken up in these small chapters so I can set it aside when I have to.

dEnny!
08-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Page 230 and WOW! I really don't want to put the book down, but I need to go to bed. Some interesting things coming out right now, it seems to all be coming to a head. A little sabotage, a little self destruction, and a little insanity.

Great read!

Persevering Guy
08-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I love BOP and picked this up, but I haven't had the time to read it yet.

I have flipped throught it several times looking for sex scenes, though.

Blake Sims
08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
it was AWESOME
loved every page

Mike Storniolo
08-20-2005, 05:12 AM
So I stayed up until 2:00 in the morning last night to finish reading it...man it was worth it. So tired though, work in 10 minutes, but hell with it, it was a PHENOMINAL book. Just the way he progressed the story and made it all connect towards the end, great stuff!

Blandy vs Terrorism
08-20-2005, 06:05 AM
I bought it last weekend, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Fourthman
09-07-2005, 07:30 AM
This is great stuff. It's good intro to comics material as well as seasoned vet stuff. Not all ages, but all tastes kinda stuff, get me? When Robinson signed my copy in Chicago, (after finding out I was from NYC) he drew this
http://homepage.mac.com/fourthman/.Pictures/tricked.jpg
on my index page.

For those who haven't read it; he's making fun of me here.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
09-07-2005, 07:31 AM
This is on my "Get" list when I'm back out in the States this Christmas.

kelemanga
09-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Bring me one back :D

Cth
09-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I remember a handful of guys being really excited about Alex Robinson's newest book Tricked from Top Shelf.

I'm a little over halfway completed and have really enjoyed this tale of 6 people who's lives seem to be on a collision course. Even the supporting cast are interesting and almost wish they'd get more screen time. I like how Alex is telling the story, with short little bursts for each character, moving the story along the entire time.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/covers/tricked.jpg

From the Eisner award-winning creator of Box Office Poison (voted by Wizard magazine as the best indy graphic novel of all time), comes the highly anticipated original graphic novel, Tricked. Four years in development and clocking in at 352-pages, Alex Robinson, "the master of true-to-life relationship drama" (Library Journal), has created another tour de force. Tricked follows the lives of six people -- a reclusive rock legend, a heartbroken waitress, a counterfeiter, an obsessive crank, a lost daughter, and a backstabbing lover -- whose lives are unconnected until an act of violence brings them spiraling in on each other. Combining intriguing characters with a story structure that is both complex and innovative, Tricked is not to be missed! -- 352 pages

Next week.. next week!

I just read Box Office Poison for the first time last week.. amazing :)

PeterSparker
09-07-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm on it from this thread, and Fourthman's specific recommendation in another thread. Really looking forward to it!

KBash
09-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm waiting to get it at SPX. =)

KingMob
09-07-2005, 08:43 AM
I started it after Chicago and got side-tracked (got down to around 46). I hope that is going in a different direction than I think it is, otherwise I'm going to be a little disappointed.