PDA

View Full Version : Trying to fit in by not fitting in??

rembret
08-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Do you care if your clothes are "name brand" or not?By this I mean just for the name or image,not for fit/comfort.I'm not saying i should make judgements on people just because they are wearing an abercrombie and fitch emblazened shirt,or tommy hilfigger jeans,but in a way i guess i do.I don't really want to be a billboard for a particular company,especially one that charges $25 for a t-shirt just because their logo is on it.It just seems like putting forth an effort to be classified with a certain group.I mean,I know some people who wouldn't be caught dead wearing a simple 4 or $5 t-shirt from wal-mart cause it is beneath them. :roll:
I have some comic character shirts,but even those i wear sparringly,I bought a Punisher one w/skull that i liked when the movie came out but i've only recently started wearing it out now that it's not so much everywhere.I've got a cool Cybernary by jim lee one that i've never seen before,and one of Pitt too.Not that they were great books or anything but the image is cool and its not like Wolverine or Spider-man.
Um....so reading this,I seem to think i'm kinda snotty or conceited or i care way too much about what other people think even though i'm trying to make a point not to.Or maybe everybody goes thru phases and i should shut the hell up. :surrend:

And as usual,I've made my post entirely too long. :blah:

Ryan Elliott
08-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Nope, no namebrand. Only for comfort.

sleep
08-14-2005, 07:13 PM
I tend to immediately despise wearers of Tommy Hilfigger and the like. If it's someone I already know, it doesn't make as much of a difference, but if that's all I have to go on for a first impression, I see nothing worthy of respect there.

I'm pretty fucking bilious, though.

xyzzy
08-14-2005, 07:22 PM
I refuse to wear anything with a prominent logo. I am not a billboard. But I do buy name brand stuff. Just not branded stuff.

MattJohnson
08-14-2005, 07:40 PM
I've actually considered getting some Black Dot shoes, but I don't want to be "that guy". Doing something for principle is one thing, but I don't like people who make a point of making a point; kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum of what we're talking about.

sumopanda
08-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Hmm, basically if it's really comfy, looks good on me, and I can afford it, i'll buy it!

I've got to go act like i'm extra bored, and don't care that i'm here now. See ya!

Ben Rosen
08-14-2005, 07:44 PM
i have a lot of nike shirts, stuff like that, "champion athletic". i don't see myself as a billboard, though...:?

moonspider
08-14-2005, 07:45 PM
i love my raph lauren flea market knock offs :twisted:

THWIP!
08-14-2005, 07:46 PM
I wear what feels comfy.

moonspider
08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
I wear what feels comfy.

the fabric of our lives

RyanP
08-14-2005, 07:56 PM
I could care less about "brands". I don't care about Hilfiger, Fitch anything "upscale". Mostly because that shit you can by at a mall ain't "upscale". My regular clothes are usually cheap, t-shirts, jeans, whatever I pick up on sale. My other clothes are a different story.

Amos Moses
08-14-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't pay 20+ bucks to advertise for Bud Light or something, I do pay 10-15$ to advertise for Daredevil or AC/DC though =)

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 07:58 PM
i have a lot of nike shirts, stuff like that, "champion athletic". i don't see myself as a billboard, though...:?

i didn't know ben was a baller.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 08:00 PM
i wear a lot of the same thing every day. right now my outfit is narrowed down to the same thing everyday.

-eddie bauer blue jeans
-white undershirt tucked into my jeans
-gap belt
-airwalk sneakers
-aviator mirror-tinted sunglasses

soon a suit jacket and snazzy tie will be thrown in. maybe i'll switch back to DMs on my feet too.

rembret
08-14-2005, 08:04 PM
I must say,In the shoe dept.,the most comfortable ones i've ever bought were Airwalks.They fit great first time on my feet and have held up great.Going on 7 years now and are still in decent shape:)I would advertise their product for that.Nikes i have owned only lasted 2 or 3 years and then they just disintigrated.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I must say,In the shoe dept.,the most comfortable ones i've ever bought were Airwalks.They fit great first time on my feet and have held up great.Going on 7 years now and are still in decent shape:)I would advertise their product for that.Nikes i have owned only lasted 2 or 3 years and then they just disintigrated.

i have been wearing these airwalks since june and the souls already broke through.

RyanP
08-14-2005, 08:09 PM
I bought a pair of hemp addidas and the area around the stripes started to wear through and make huge holes within a month. Fucking hemp

Movie Maker
08-14-2005, 08:09 PM
its called being goth.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 08:12 PM
its called being goth.

i was a fat goth kid in the 6th grade. what the fuck happened?

Angel
08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
i was goth for about a month, then i realized my new friends were condiscending assholes and i already dealed with fucks like that in school, i didn't need to be friends with them. besides, i actually had a reason for my depression and it wasn't to make a statement.

rembret
08-14-2005, 08:33 PM
its called being goth.
Yeah,i fell into that grove too,then it just got too damn hot.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 08:34 PM
i was goth for about a month, then i realized my new friends were condiscending assholes and i already dealed with fucks like that in school, i didn't need to be friends with them. besides, i actually had a reason for my depression and it wasn't to make a statement.

mind if i asked why you were depressed? my mom was sick, so i was just a dick goth who took it out on everyone.

kubiak
08-14-2005, 08:47 PM
I don't like logos in general on my clothes. Sometimes I'll even cut them off of my shirts and stuff if I can do it without ruining the shirt.

Patrick J
08-14-2005, 08:49 PM
I generally wear a same outfit every day.

In the winter its just green cargo pants or jeans with a black hooded sweater and usually an Oakland A's cap, and a pair of boots.

In the summer, blue shorts, some kinda plaid or hawiaan shirt and flip flops or sandals or whatever the fuck they call 'em.

Angel
08-14-2005, 08:59 PM
mind if i asked why you were depressed? my mom was sick, so i was just a dick goth who took it out on everyone.
my dad just had back surgery, so he wouldn't be able to work again. he was mad at the world and took it out on us verbally and emotionally. my grades started to drop which pissed him off even more. it was a pretty bad time.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 09:01 PM
my dad just had back surgery, so he wouldn't be able to work again. he was mad at the world and took it out on us verbally and emotionally. my grades started to drop which pissed him off even more. it was a pretty bad time.

i'm sorry to hear about that. i hope everything is better now.

Adrian B AWESOME
08-14-2005, 09:02 PM
I kinda wish there were more brandnames like "Assface" or "Cumsuckle"

I'd wear shirts with that on it.

Angel
08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
i'm sorry to hear about that. i hope everything is better now.
thanks. kind of better in the sence that when my parents got divorced, i moved in with my mom and haven't been to see my dad since. not a great way to deal with things, but it works for me. i'm a lot happier, so that's all that really matters.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 09:11 PM
I kinda wish there were more brandnames like "Assface" or "Cumsuckle"

I'd wear shirts with that on it.

i kinda wish hot topic mad black t-shirts that just say "i want attention" on them.

Adrian B AWESOME
08-14-2005, 09:15 PM
i kinda wish hot topic mad black t-shirts that just say "i want attention" on them.
yeah, then i could pass them out to half of the posters on this board.

ba-zing!

i want one that just says something that's obviously a fact like "I smell." or "I am fat." or "Only men find me attractive."

That'd rule. AND be ironic...but not really.

ImYrWoodbury
08-14-2005, 09:19 PM

I wouldn't buy that shirt, but that is a grand idea. Right up there with the pink shirts that say, "All my black shirts are dirty" and "Keep laughing, this is your girlfriend's shirt".

Angel
08-14-2005, 09:20 PM
yeah, then i could pass them out to half of the posters on this board.

ba-zing!

i want one that just says something that's obviously a fact like "I smell." or "I am fat." or "Only men find me attractive."

That'd rule. AND be ironic...but not really.
i saw a fat guy wearing a shirt that said,"i have reverse anorexia"

Patrick J
08-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Remember those "Co-Ed Naked" shirts every asshole on the face of the planet used to wear back in the day?

I thought about making my own ones, but make them as offensive as possible... like "Co-Ed Naked Boxing: Everyone Loves a Good Fisting" or something along those lines...

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't buy that shirt, but that is a grand idea. Right up there with the pink shirts that say, "All my black shirts are dirty" and "Keep laughing, this is your girlfriend's shirt".

i want a pink shirt that says "tough guys don't wear pink, homosexuals do", and just see what people think it is trying to say. with stuff like that people only read what they wanna read.

Justin.Strange
08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
i really dont care about name brand. long as they look good, they're comfortable, and i feel comfortable wearing them then its all good.

heres my usual outfit. slightly baggy jeans tshirt and a hat. some people say i have this Pharell-esque "dorky hip-hop/skateboarder" vibe going on.

i usually find myself gravitating towards tshirts with bands im into(Underoath ,Sage Francis) or goofy/ironic statments (example: dude with bear arms with text that says "Second Amendment") on them, baseball and trucker hats, baggy jeans, chains, patches, Chuck Taylors, shit like that...

gwyllgi
08-14-2005, 10:44 PM
I rarely wear anything with a brand on it. actually, I don't think I ever do. Maybe my Express jeans have Express on a little tage someone. but they do have X2 something on the ass patch cos that's the variety they are. I love those jeans...

I used to wear ALL black all the time, cos I was pretty goth, but my friends and I were the cool goth kids, we talked to everyone else, loved music and reading, movies, etc, and some of us could skate board, most of us got decent grades, a few of us were depressed, but mostly we just liked all black and thought it was better to be ourselves and look different than wear Abercrombie like everyone else.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 10:50 PM
I rarely wear anything with a brand on it. actually, I don't think I ever do. Maybe my Express jeans have Express on a little tage someone. but they do have X2 something on the ass patch cos that's the variety they are. I love those jeans...

I used to wear ALL black all the time, cos I was pretty goth, but my friends and I were the cool goth kids, we talked to everyone else, loved music and reading, movies, etc, and some of us could skate board, most of us got decent grades, a few of us were depressed, but mostly we just liked all black and thought it was better to be ourselves and look different than wear Abercrombie like everyone else.

see, that is the only goth left in me from my middle school days. i really don't want people to make an opinion on me by my clothes, so that is why i am going to narrow it down to narrow it down to one outfit multiple times. like in doug. he'd open up his closet and it'd be the same thing over and over again. just find one thing that looks really suave, and wear it over and over again. that way most of my variety and personality comes from what i say rather than what i look like.

The Roman Candle
08-14-2005, 10:52 PM
I tend to buy my clothes at thrift stores and cheapo po-folks stores. So... no.

Donal DeLay
08-14-2005, 11:01 PM
I wear comfort and affordability.

If you ever see me in some 80.00 shoes, take those shoes off my feet and promptly use them to kick my ass.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 11:05 PM
I wear comfort and affordability.

If you ever see me in some 80.00 shoes, take those shoes off my feet and promptly use them to kick my ass.

the only shoes worth that much are doc martens, because they are comfortable as all hell and last forever. but $40+ for sneakers? fuck that.

Angel of Distraction
08-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I, on the other hand, will feel free to make judgements. People who absolutely must have their clothing slapped with a certain label are faux-rebel kids-in-adult-disguise who need to get their own identities. I will be issuing a city wide slapdown, wherein I go around and pound the bejeezus out of these people. I will have a little hat that says "clothing whore slapdown" and they will actually come up to me, because they are too stupid to get the hint, and I will beat them in the manner previously described.

There oughta be a law.

Ben
08-14-2005, 11:12 PM
I, on the other hand, will feel free to make judgements. People who absolutely must have their clothing slapped with a certain label are faux-rebel kids-in-adult-disguise who need to get their own identities. I will be issuing a city wide slapdown, wherein I go around and pound the bejeezus out of these people. I will have a little hat that says "clothing whore slapdown" and they will actually come up to me, because they are too stupid to get the hint, and I will beat them in the manner previously described.

There oughta be a law.
So you feel that wearing certain shirts (which may or may not be due to the reason that you describe) justifies inflicting physical violence on them. Interesting.

Angel of Distraction
08-14-2005, 11:14 PM
So you feel that wearing certain shirts (which may or may not be due to the reason that you describe) justifies inflicting physical violence on them. Interesting.

I also feel that having three letters in your name and taking everything seriously merits violence.

Ben
08-14-2005, 11:18 PM
I also feel that having three letters in your name and taking everything seriously merits violence.
Don't point fingers at me. You're the one who gets angry over someone's T-shirt choice.

Justin.Strange
08-14-2005, 11:20 PM

yup.

people that wear those polo shirts with the fucking alligator on the front with the collar popped up so it covers thier neck and think they're pimpin need to be punched in the forehead with the steering wheel from a Chevy...

they make me soo angry!!! grr! ftt! rage!

Donal DeLay
You're trying to hard if:

You wear a shirt with pot leafs.
Your pants have enough chains and zippers to set off a metal detector before passing through it.
You live in Florida and wear all black with a trenchcoat in summer.
Your hair needs one bottle of gel per day to stand up.
You wear a brand new trucker hat, cocked to the side.
You wear a pimp hat.
Pay more than you need to for celebrity endorse clothing.
You have to make wide steps and literally hold onto your pants so they don't fall.
You have a cell phone without a service.
You polish your sneakers.

Wanna have some fun? Go into a trendy clothing store that sells pre-ripped jeans for 50.00 and ask ask for a manager. "Can I get a discount? These have holes."

jordan michael
Don't point fingers at me. You're the one who gets angry over someone's T-shirt choice.

hey, let's not get angry and argue. can't we all just agree on one thing: we all hate ben affleck. stop the hate.

Justin.Strange
08-14-2005, 11:21 PM
and those goddamned Avaitor sunglasses!!! punch! right in the forehead!!!!

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 11:23 PM
and those goddamned Avaitor sunglasses!!! punch! right in the forehead!!!!

hey... :sad:

gwyllgi
08-14-2005, 11:23 PM
the only shoes worth that much are doc martens, because they are comfortable as all hell and last forever. but $40+ for sneakers? fuck that.

I wouldn't pay that for sneakers...
Boots though. I fucking live in boots once the temperatures get below 85 degrees. Ass kickin' boots.

Donal DeLay
08-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Aviantor sunglasses can be awesome .... as long as you're chewing on a bit of wheat, talk with a serious drawl, talk in the third person and call everyone "boy!"

Man! I wish I had some cool mirror aviators. I'd walk around all day saying "WHAT we got HERE, is a FAILURE to comMUNIcate!"

Ben
08-14-2005, 11:26 PM
hey, let's not get angry and argue. can't we all just agree on one thing: we all hate ben affleck. stop the hate.
I don't hate him.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't pay that for sneakers...
Boots though. I fucking live in boots once the temperatures get below 85 degrees. Ass kickin' boots.

BOOTS IN ORDER
1. doc martens
2. demonias
3. carolinas

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't hate him.

i didn't mean you did. i'm just saying, let's not get hostile.

The Roman Candle
08-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Aviantor sunglasses can be awesome .... as long as you're chewing on a bit of wheat, talk with a serious drawl, talk in the third person and call everyone "boy!"

Man! I wish I had some cool mirror aviators. I'd walk around all day saying "WHAT we got HERE, is a FAILURE to comMUNIcate!"

I got a pair of those at a dollar store in California. Me and my friends all got matching aviators and then drove around playing the theme to Dangeresque off the Strong Bad CD.

Donal DeLay
08-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Were you chewing on wheat? It's not cool if wheat isn't involved.

The Roman Candle
08-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Were you chewing on wheat? It's not cool if wheat isn't involved.

We did that later. Woulda been better if the other guys had moustaches, though.

gwyllgi
08-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Demonias are really cool...
I need some.

docs don't fit my feet right.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Demonias are really cool...
I need some.

docs don't fit my feet right.

they are kinda shapeless, so i can't see how they couldn't fit right. they are the only thing that do fit my feet right. it is hard to find them in my size. i got tiny girl feet.

Justin.Strange
08-14-2005, 11:38 PM

you forgot the Supertroopers moustache and the Rodney King nightstick beatdown while screaming RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!!!!

gwyllgi
they are kinda shapeless, so i can't see how they couldn't fit right. they are the only thing that do fit my feet right. it is hard to find them in my size. i got tiny girl feet.

I wear a size 10 in womens... I got big girl feet.

Angel of Distraction
I would also like to do violence on pro-gun people.

Donal DeLay
08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
I wear a size 10 in womens... I got big girl feet. That's like, a 4 in mens.

gwyllgi
08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
That's like, a 4 in mens.

an 8.

Wiseass.

gwyllgi
08-14-2005, 11:44 PM
I would also like to do violence on pro-gun people.

Well, I'd shoot you before you could.

Donal DeLay
08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
an 8.

Wiseass. :rolleye: Whatever you say, sasquatch.

jordan michael
08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
an 8.

Wiseass.

i could probably just fit into your shoes.

Angel of Distraction
08-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Well, I'd shoot you before you could.

I'll cut you with my samurai sword

gwyllgi
08-15-2005, 12:00 AM
I'll cut you with my samurai sword

You'd be dead first.

Obviously.

and this is the last I'll say, because I don't have bitchfights with anti-gun nuts anymore. It's a waste of my typing skills.

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:03 AM
You'd be dead first.

Obviously.

and this is the last I'll say, because I don't have bitchfights with anti-gun nuts anymore. It's a waste of my typing skills.

I thought it was fairly obvious I was kidding, what with that first line... :mistrust:

gwyllgi
08-15-2005, 12:12 AM
I thought it was fairly obvious I was kidding, what with that first line... :mistrust:

You're usually not. You're usually a real dick about the anti-gun BS. and it usually pisses me off.

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:15 AM
You're usually not. You're usually a real dick about the anti-gun BS. and it usually pisses me off.

I'm usually a real dick about everything, unless it's serious.

Justin.Strange
08-15-2005, 12:15 AM
im talking to my friend on the phone and this seems like a good place to bring this up...

is being a nerd the new being cool?

jordan michael
08-15-2005, 12:16 AM
im talking to my friend on the phone and this seems like a good place to bring this up...

is being a nerd the new being cool?

i dunno. why don't you ask all those girls who are not having sex with me.

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:18 AM
i dunno. why don't you ask all those girls who are not having sex with me.

Well, it's cool until that.

gwyllgi
08-15-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm usually a real dick about everything, unless it's serious.

That's a good way to get laid, right there. Esp. if you're looking for something even half meaningful.

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
That's a good way to get laid, right there. Esp. if you're looking for something even half meaningful.

That's one of those things I'm a serious non-dick about.

edit: not that it does me any good, the dicks win anyway... :surrend:

jordan michael
08-15-2005, 12:35 AM

i can't believe i am saying this, but i both agree and relate to lemming. when it comes to somebody i feel for, i am not a dick at all. i get really serious and non offensive and quite. very unlike me.

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:36 AM
i can't believe i am saying this, but i both agree and relate to lemming. when it comes to somebody i feel for, i am not a dick at all. i get really serious and non offensive and quite. very unlike me.

hat's pretty well me. I don't melt easily, so when I do I don't dick around.

gwyllgi
08-15-2005, 12:36 AM

edit: not that it does me any good, the dicks win anyway... :surrend:

being too non dickish makes you a pussy. most women don't want pussies.
even lesbians don't like that sort of pussy.

Justin.Strange
08-15-2005, 12:38 AM
its common knowledge females are into confident guys. my friend Amanda on the phone confirms this...

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:40 AM
being too non dickish makes you a pussy. most women don't want pussies.
even lesbians don't like that sort of pussy.

I can't turn the bastard on and off, but I can curb it when I need to.

gwyllgi
08-15-2005, 12:40 AM
its common knowledge females are into confident guys. my friend Amanda on the phone confirms this...

Yeup.

I don't like macho men tho. your amanda friend will most likely agree to that too. Those guys are jerkoffs.

Justin.Strange
08-15-2005, 12:44 AM
most guys that need to constantly prove how badass they are are really pussies in disguise

the trick is to be have that confidence to take charge and go up to her but not overdo it..

jordan michael
08-15-2005, 12:46 AM
most guys that need to constantly prove how badass they are are really pussies in disguise

the trick is to be have that confidence to take charge and go up to her but not overdo it..

i'd rather just be myself and be bad with girls. i refuse to have some sort of game to trick girls into liking me.

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:46 AM

*keeps wondering how those guys always win* :mad:

Angel of Distraction
08-15-2005, 12:47 AM
i'd rather just be myself and be bad with girls. i refuse to have some sort of game to trick girls into liking me.

That sounds like me right before they run off withthe day's Mr. Flashy.

jordan michael
08-15-2005, 12:48 AM
That sounds like me right before they run off withthe day's Mr. Flashy.

yeah, i get down a lot, but it'd still rather be a nice guy who ends up being EVERYONE's friend than an arrogant dick.

Angel
08-15-2005, 01:06 AM
i like a guy with confidence, but not arrogance. big difference to me.

gwyllgi
08-15-2005, 01:07 AM
I like a guy that can kiss my ferret's toes and call him a fluffy little woo.

And also, a guy that chases me with dead bugs.

BUT has also broken a man's arm with the door of his car.

That's my guy. :)

Donal DeLay
08-15-2005, 11:33 AM

That's my guy. :) Do that to my cats.
Nothing funnier than chasing a girl with a bug.
Well, I once broke a kids arm in middle school by putting my knee on his elbow and ganking his arm back real hard.

Too bad I'm married, or I'd get shot down.

:D

McAfee
08-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I'll be honest: I don't know the brands of anything I'm currently wearing without looking.

gwyllgi
08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Do that to my cats.
Nothing funnier than chasing a girl with a bug.
Well, I once broke a kids arm in middle school by putting my knee on his elbow and ganking his arm back real hard.

Too bad I'm married, or I'd get shot down.

:D

Heh. that would hurt your ego wouldn't it.

Donal DeLay
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Heh. that would hurt your ego wouldn't it.Not really. If it wasn't for my wife I'd be pretty emotionless, hence the "troubled youth" and LOTS of things I regret now.

Besides, you get used to shrugging off rejection after a while.

Justin.Strange
08-15-2005, 12:34 PM

That's my guy. :)

back in high school for biology class we disected a frog. i cut off its head and stuck it in this girl's locker i was into. does that count?

i was about to beat the shit out of somebody an hour ago for almost hitting my car while pulling out of a parking lot at campus.