PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on the new run of Captain America.

X arseface X
08-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I keep hearing good things about the book since it relaunched, but I was pretty luke warm on the last few issues of the last volume. What's so good about it now, and why should I start picking it up again?

I dug through the other Cap thread, and it's full of praise, but no specifics on what really is pushing this run above and beyond the last.

greg donovan
08-13-2005, 02:04 PM
awesome art.

awesome writing.

good chance to see brubaker in the MU before he tackles DD.

greg donovan
08-13-2005, 02:06 PM
plus the cosmic cube is back. and it appears bucky may have returned. and philedelphia was nailed w/a big AIM developed bomb.

The Human Target
08-13-2005, 02:27 PM
It has beatiful dynamic art and intelligent grown up writing. Brubaker's Cap is as much soldier as super hero.

Other than the head wings and pirate boots, its fucking good.

Xander Boune
08-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Everybody on this board has been raving about it. Just try the first issue and see if it's for you.

greg donovan
08-13-2005, 02:45 PM
It has beatiful dynamic art and intelligent grown up writing. Brubaker's Cap is as much soldier as super hero.

i dont want to live in a world w/out a captain america that doesnt have pirate boots or head wings.

granted the ultimate cap is pretty cool. i just love the classic cap so much.

Lab-Rat
08-13-2005, 02:49 PM
It's an awesome book with great writing and great art. Really there isn't anything that can be said about it.

Joe Henderson
08-13-2005, 02:51 PM

My girlfriend was reading Runaways and was like "Why does Captain America have wings on his head??" She laughed for a good minute about it. And, the more I think about it, I much prefer Ultimate Cap's winglessness.

The Human Target
08-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I have no respect for anyone who likes head wingies.

greg donovan
08-13-2005, 03:23 PM
I have no respect for anyone who likes head wingies.

i wont loose any sleep.

Mike Haseloff
08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Not real keen on the art (Epting), and have to admit, as the story's gone on, it's not as spectacular as I thought it was going to be after the first few issues.

Still some of the best Captain America in the last few volumes, based on what I've read. Maybe just not quite as fabulous as the hype makes y'think though... :?

Definitely worth picking up to make your own judgment though!

NickT
08-13-2005, 03:30 PM
I'd respect them if they flapped.

Mike Haseloff
08-13-2005, 03:31 PM
I'd respect them if they flapped.I have no credibility in this argument, do I? :lol:

Dusty
08-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Everybody on this board has been raving about it. Just try the first issue and see if it's for you.

I think it's the most raved about book on the internet, actually. Every board I have visted seems to absolutely love it, and I'm not surprised.

Brubaker has one hell of a storyline going on, with bang on characterizations that feel like the characters, not the writer. His dialogue is the best in the biz, too.

Steve Epting, for my money, is the best artist working in comics today. His storytelling is dynamic, from the emotion to the action, and his line work is without peer.

Ed visits this board, so I'd like to hear his reasons for why people should be reading. I personally feel Captain America should be on everybody's "Must Read" list. Forget about any preconceived notions you have with the character or previous runs on his book. I seem to even recall Quesada, Brevoort, and Bendis all naming Brubaker and Epting's Cap as their favorite book, or at least one of them.

NickT
08-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I have no credibility in this argument, do I? :lol:
Ah come on, how funny would it be if Cap could fly because of tiny head wings? :D

Mike Haseloff
08-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Ah come on, how funny would it be if Cap could fly because of tiny head wings? :D:lol:

All I know is, in this freakish alternate future my objections would probably warrant, "you brought it on yourself" PMs. :p

NickT
08-13-2005, 03:55 PM
:lol:

All I know is, in this freakish alternate future my objections would probably warrant, "you brought it on yourself" PMs. :p
I hope to get this PM :D

I love Brubaker's writing, but two Captain America scenarios would ensue I never drop the book while he is on it out of eternal gratitude:

1 - Captain America and modern Union Jack teamup.

2 - Cap is thrown off a building and saved by his tiny headwings.

Mike Haseloff
08-13-2005, 03:59 PM

I love Brubaker's writing, but two Captain America scenarios would ensue I never drop the book while he is on it out of eternal gratitude:

2 - Cap is thrown off a building and saved by his tiny headwings.Cap/Union Jack would be pretty awesome! Union Jack's just back to floating in limbo now, isn't he? :?

... I couldn't swallow that, even if it meant one of the wings got snagged on a flag pole. :p

The Human Target
08-13-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd respect them if they flapped.

Heh. At least then they would do something more than make him look like a nancy boy.

Mike Haseloff
08-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Heh. At least then they would do something more than make him look like a nancy boy.That's unAmerican, son! :no:

The Human Target
08-13-2005, 04:15 PM
That's unAmerican, son! :no:

I stand by the nancy boy comment! :-x

Mike Haseloff
08-13-2005, 04:20 PM
I stand by the nancy boy comment! :-xQuick, someone wrap him in those conveniently nearby American flags.

They'll reduce bruising, and make it easier to carry him to the river once we've finished showing him what it means to be American! :mad:

If we find five more, we can make a pyraimid.
An AMERICAN pyramid! :mad:

Andrew j
08-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Talked about it a little in another thread yesterday and I like it but I hope it lightens up a little. Don't mind heavy handed stories filled with pessimistic outcomes but throw a fucking joke in their once in awhile!

One of the best letter columns in comics. Writers need to take control of them more often.

It's a well crafted book that is thought out but you never get lost. A lot of writers have it so it doesn't make sense until issues later and some have it that after reading it you can throw it aside and completely forget what just happened. This book finds a middle ground where you can read an issue and enjoy it and then have something explained later down the line so if you go reread and find stuff you didn't notice before.

The villain is a nice step up. Cap's bad guys seem to always be behind by a few decades but at least now the guy is Cold war behind and not WWII behind.

It uses familiar characters well and it does a great job of bringing something new to the character while at the same time preserving what has gone on before.

But it still needs a fucking chuckle once in awhile.

Simps
08-13-2005, 05:08 PM

2 - Cap is thrown off a building and saved by his tiny headwings.

Waitaminute, what the hell ARE those headwings for? I mean at least Flash's looks cool when he runs fast, but Cap's are just lame. Those things look like they'd get torn off 5 times every fight. Ar ethey supposed to symbolize eagle's wings? Lame (unless they fly).

Simps
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Brubaker mentioned this himself, but I like that issue 8 doesn't feel like the start of a new arc, but the continuation of a, so far, fantastic run, much like Bendis' Daredevil.

Ryan Elliott
08-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Sell you on Captain America?

Read it, or I fucking kill you.

How's that?

The Roman Candle
08-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Read it. It's good.

Patton
08-13-2005, 05:35 PM
good.

NickT
08-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Talked about it a little in another thread yesterday and I like it but I hope it lightens up a little. Don't mind heavy handed stories filled with pessimistic outcomes but throw a fucking joke in their once in awhile!

I smiled at some of Cap's lines with the MODOCs :)

Allen Y
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Firstly, anyone can read CAPTAIN AMERICA #3 for free in its entirety here. (http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/capamerica3/) Be warned however, there are spoilers by doing so.

Secondly, I will be mailing for free CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 (28 pages of story!) and CAPTAIN AMERICA #5 (Michael Lark!) to the first two posters who send me a PM with their mailing address. Note, only those posters who haven't tried the book apply.

(I'd send more, but that's all I have of the Brubaker/Epting/Lark run in pamphlets. Luckily, I just won myself a free copy of the VOL. 1 HC.)

Allen

Mike Haseloff
08-13-2005, 06:46 PM
Secondly, I will be mailing for free CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 (28 pages of story!) and CAPTAIN AMERICA #5 (Michael Lark!) to the first two posters who send me a PM with their mailing address. Note, only those posters who haven't tried the book apply.Issue five was great. Lark's art is awesome.

It probably highlights what I don't like about Epting's stuff too, and that's the colouring. The colouring in the contemporary scenes really puts me off. The flashbacks are probably a bit flat, but I prefer them a lot more.

modungo
08-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Action. This book has great action. Not 22 fucking pages of some damned hero bitchin' about how sad he is. Cap is bummed about shit but he doesn't talk about all the damn time. Every issue somebody get's hit in the fucking face with a thrown shield.

X arseface X
08-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Alright, I'm doing it. After four pages of praise and one death threat, I'm gonna pick up the first couple of issues today. If it actually sucks and this has all been a well orchestrated ploy to make me poorer, you'll all be getting PMed poo on sticks....

Gavin
08-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Alright, I'm doing it. After four pages of praise and one death threat, I'm gonna pick up the first couple of issues today. If it actually sucks and this has all been a well orchestrated ploy to make me poorer, you'll all be getting PMed poo on sticks....

You won't regret it. It's fantastic.

justjeffery
08-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Would you believe that I havent had the chance to read it yet? It had two things on the cover that made me buy every issue thus far... Ed Burbaker. Throw in some Michael Lark and I was sold...

X arseface X
08-16-2005, 11:04 PM
You guys were ever so right. This run has all been money and time well spent. I thank you.

Ryan Elliott
08-16-2005, 11:07 PM
You guys were ever so right. This run has all been money and time well spent. I thank you.

See? My death threat wasn't wasted. ;)

By the way, I hate you're avatar, but your sig makes me feel happy in my pants. :D

COTE
08-16-2005, 11:10 PM
wings of the eagle :-x

Brewtown Andy
08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
Someone here called it "24 with Cap instead of Jack Bauer" the other day, and that's a great summary to me.

NickT
08-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Someone here called it "24 with Cap instead of Jack Bauer" the other day, and that's a great summary to me.
Sharon Carter gets trapped in a bear trap and then attacked by a Cougar? ;)

alexlannin
08-17-2005, 08:52 AM
I could never stand reading Captain America before Brubaker took over.
That's all I can do to sell you on it.