PDA

View Full Version : Job applications: to lie or not to lie

HoneyDippinDan
03-28-2005, 03:56 PM
So I'm supposed to be looking for a job but I am worried about one thing. I got fired from a DirecTV call center for for what I thought (and some members of mangement) were bullshit reasons. Basically I was just barely below acceptable on my job evaluations, so close that by their metrics, one more passed call made the difference between being a good employee and getting fired. According to their procedures, if I passed one more call, I would have had a clean slate and could of totally fucked around for 9 more months without the threat of being fired hainging over my head. Also, normally in my situation, I would of been retrained and moved to a different department but because this was when the economy was seriously in the shitter, and DTV was looking was looking for excuses to fire people, as there were massive amounts of firings just after I left.

So my problem is, even though I know my firing was bullshit, I'm afraid that all potential employers are going to see is somebody that got fired from a job, which is especailly shitty since I've been thinking of getting a job at a call center again.

Now some people have suggested that I should just tell potential employers that I just quit since there is no way to proving that I was fired for bullshit reasons, plus I'd just be telling the HR people what they want to hear and they probably aren't going to check anyways, since it's next to impossible to contact DTV outside off their help line for customers. Plus I'm probably competing for jobs with other people that are lying their asses off anyways.

So anybody got any opinions on what I should do?

Bill?
03-28-2005, 03:59 PM
lie.
but only if you're pretty sure they're too lazy to check into it.

BriRedfern
03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, just lie.

Jim.
03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
I have an interview on Wed and I told the lady that I just "got let go".

AAlgar
03-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I keep thinking I should just say I have a degree, because so many jobs I want require one and I am otherwise completely qualified.

HoneyDippinDan
03-28-2005, 04:04 PM
I keep thinking I should just say I have a degree, because so many jobs I want require one and I am otherwise completely qualified.

My mom has tried to convince me to go in to an interview and fake 3 years of webmaster experience. That's taking a lie a little bit too far in my opinion.

AAlgar
03-28-2005, 04:06 PM
My mom has tried to convince me to go in to an interview and fake 3 years of webmaster experience. That's taking a lie a little bit too far in my opinion.

Well, in my situation, I know my work experience qualifies me for jobs. A degree is just a piece of paper in my field.

I wouldn't lie about something I would actually be expected to know.

LordKinbote
03-28-2005, 04:14 PM
So because they thought you were on one side of mediocre and you thought you were on the other, you think the firing was bullshit?

Don't lie. If you have to, use euphemisms.

Dr Leon
03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I lied once, and did speed before an interview, I was talking so much I forgot I lied and blew my own cover.

Yeah, I'm not that bright.

HoneyDippinDan
03-28-2005, 04:30 PM
So because they thought you were on one side of mediocre and you thought you were on the other, you think the firing was bullshit?

Don't lie. If you have to, use euphemisms.

I did my job function, customer retention, exceedingly well, but I didn't kick the customers off the phone quick enough for DirecTV's liking. All my previous supervisors thought I was a great employee and had no problem with the way I did things, my last supervisor was a by the book bitch that thought I should give out huge credits just to get customers off the phone, which I thought was both stupid and unethical. I found out months after I got fired that if I had so much as file a grievance to dispute my firing, I would have had my job back immediately, but I didn't want it back by the time I found this out.

HoneyDippinDan
03-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, in my situation, I know my work experience qualifies me for jobs. A degree is just a piece of paper in my field.

I wouldn't lie about something I would actually be expected to know.

My mom thinks that having a degree in Computer Information Systems means I'm an expert in all things computers. It's more like I have a good understanding in all things computers and have yet to use a program that I couldn't figure out quickly, but I wouldn't dare fake three years of experience.

Genius J
03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Just say you got laid off. If they ever call for verification, the law only allows the ex-employer to say "yes, he worked here" and not why you were let go. They're also not allowed to bad-mouth you in any way.

However... if the potential employer asks the ex-employer "would you re-hire this person?" all they have to say is "NO" and you're kinda screwed.