PDA

View Full Version : Gilliam's Rage at Weinstein Takeover

BENDIS!
08-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Gilliam's Rage at Weinstein Takeover

Twelve Monkeys director Terry Gilliam is furious with movie moguls Harvey Weinstein and Bob Weinstein for scrapping his ideas and undermining his authority during filming of his new Matt Damon movie The Brothers Grimm. The powerful pair first ditched Gilliam's plans to cast Samantha Morton in the lead role in favor of lesser known actress Lena Headey, and then further enraged the former Monty Python star by sacking his cinematographer Nicola Pecorini for working too slowly. Tensions escalated to the extent that Gilliam refused to shoot for two weeks as he was so staggered by what he viewed as the Weinsteins' constant interference. He fumes, "I'm used to riding roughshod over executives, but the Weinsteins rode roughshod over me." But Bob Weinstein insists, "Any film involves the making of 10,000 decisions. If you only concentrate on the few we had issues with, you ignore the 9,997 we left to totally to Terry."

greg donovan
08-10-2005, 09:07 PM
this does not inspire confidence in this movie.

artimoff
08-10-2005, 09:08 PM
If you are making a movie about a property someone else owns, I can see interferance, but for this generic idea, why did they bother?

I do want to see this.

Fourthman
08-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I actually this very evening met Mr. Gilliam (signed Criterion Brazil, bitches!) and I was in the room when he made these comments. It was at the Joel Siegel Learning Annex Q&A after a screening of The Brothers Grimm (which I wasn't crazy about).

Nick_Ardill
08-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Can't Gilliam ever make a movie where he doesn't have his movie almost fall apart on him? I mean look at Man of La Mancha.

Fourthman
08-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Can't Gilliam ever make a movie where he doesn't have his movie almost fall apart on him? I mean look at Man of La Mancha.
I think you mean "The Man Who Killed Don Quijote"

Nick_Ardill
08-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I think you mean "The Man Who Killed Don Quijote"
Yeah thats it. It just left me and I couldn't think of what else to type. But he's always troubled by producers and studios that want him attached to the picture but don't want his vision of what it should be.

Bill?
08-10-2005, 09:18 PM
that guy has too much trouble making movies for someone who can make them as good as he does.

DeleriumTremens
08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
I actually this very evening met Mr. Gilliam (signed Criterion Brazil, bitches!) and I was in the room when he made these comments. It was at the Joel Siegel Learning Annex Q&A after a screening of The Brothers Grimm (which I wasn't crazy about).
Wow you get to do all the cool stuff.

Flonk
08-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Terry Gilliam is a genius who will never have a succesful movie.

Jamie Howdeshell
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
ooooh... this doesn't bode well.

here's hoping brothers grimm is still worth seeing.

:?