PDA

View Full Version : Reflections #5

jccheung
08-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi David & Kabuki fans,

First off, I'm sorry I couldn't make it down to Wizard World Chicago this past weekend. It just didn't work out for me, hopefully next year though. I can see from the various pics posted on the board and DavidMackGuide.com that you and Mandy and everybody else had a great time. :)

But yes, I picked up "Reflections" #5 from my local store after work today and once again, I was blown away. The various sketches, paintings, and photos were beautiful as always but my favourite part is always reading your comments and getting to see your thought process into every piece. Hopefully, future issues of "Reflections" will come out on a more frequent basis. :)

My only beef though, and I know that you have no control over it but I have to vent anyway, is that the Canadian cover price is $9.50 CDN versus $5.99 US. The exchange has been pretty steady for the past year and has been less than 25%, making $5.99 US = $7.50 CDN. Heck, the book itself is even printed in Canada(!). You should tell your bosses at Marvel to be more kind to your Canadian brothers to the north. ;)

MACK!
08-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi David & Kabuki fans,

First off, I'm sorry I couldn't make it down to Wizard World Chicago this past weekend. It just didn't work out for me, hopefully next year though. I can see from the various pics posted on the board and DavidMackGuide.com that you and Mandy and everybody else had a great time. :)

But yes, I picked up "Reflections" #5 from my local store after work today and once again, I was blown away. The various sketches, paintings, and photos were beautiful as always but my favourite part is always reading your comments and getting to see your thought process into every piece. Hopefully, future issues of "Reflections" will come out on a more frequent basis. :)

My only beef though, and I know that you have no control over it but I have to vent anyway, is that the Canadian cover price is $9.50 CDN versus $5.99 US. The exchange has been pretty steady for the past year and has been less than 25%, making $5.99 US = $7.50 CDN. Heck, the book itself is even printed in Canada(!). You should tell your bosses at Marvel to be more kind to your Canadian brothers to the north. ;)

Hi Josh!
Too bad you couldn't make it to the show. Hopefully next year!
Great to see everyone else there!
And a thanks for all the comments here from everyone.

Really glad you liked the new Reflections.
It probably is the best one yet. I felt like it had a really good contrast of different kinds of work and the sequence and step by step parts of the art making.
I'm looking forward to see what everyone thought of it.

And all are welcome to include suggestions and requests for what to include in future issues.

About the Canadian price: You have a really good point. I have no idea why the price is so high in Canadian. That seems really strange and I will check into it. No one checks with me about that ahead of time, and I don't know who chooses the Canadianb price.

But next time I am in Canada at a convention, everyone who bought this issue of Reflections in Canadian dollars can mention it to me and show me your Reflections #5, and I'll be happy to throw in an extra issue of a signed Kabuki book that you are missing to try to make up for it.

Mike Storniolo
08-10-2005, 06:03 PM
I really enjoyed Reflections #5 a lot, I've got to track the other volumes down now!

It was great to see a little "step-by-step" behind your art David, the process is something that's interested me since I first started taking to your work. Aside from everything in it looking amazing, the "interactive" sketchbook feel to it was great. We need more of this stuff around today...keep 'em coming.

Any updates on Alchemy #5?

who cares?
08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
ah, fuck........... that's all i have to say, and i'm sorry it's profanity....

but i have exactly $4 left in my pocket, not even enough for Reflections.... and my parents dont have any money they can give me....

i just hope my store doesnt sell out of it... like the double-sized Spider-Woman.... still dont have that.....

Brandon191
08-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey jccheung, I noticed you were from Toronto. There are quite a few stores in downtown Toronto who sell there comics for US cover price and some even sell there trades as well. Silver Snail at 367 Queen St. W. sells comics for US cover and discount their trades, 1,000,000 comix sell comics and trades for US cover, Grey Region comics at 550 Yonge St, sell comics and new trades for US cover.

Hope this helps you.

MACK!
08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Hey jccheung, I noticed you were from Toronto. There are quite a few stores in downtown Toronto who sell there comics for US cover price and some even sell there trades as well. Silver Snail at 367 Queen St. W. sells comics for US cover and discount their trades, 1,000,000 comix sell comics and trades for US cover, Grey Region comics at 550 Yonge St, sell comics and new trades for US cover.

Hope this helps you.

I've met the people from Silver Snail.
Say hello to them and the other stores for me.
I'm glad they make the books available to you with a good price.

Brandon191
08-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Will do David.

who cares?
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM

Silver Snail is an aweome store.... very well stocked for the most part...

too bad they're so far away from my house though...

SteveZegers
08-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Yeah, it was a great book. I love seeing this stuff.

ElectricMuse
08-11-2005, 04:47 AM
Got Reflections #5 last night, can't wait to dive in! I have a particular ritual when reading Kabuki - close myself in a room in complete silence and devour the whole thing, very slowly, in one sitting. :p

For those in the north end of Toronto, try Cyber City Comix at 1025 Steeles Avenue West. I think they charge Canadian pricing, but if you're a regular there they offer discounts.

-Talya

GelfXIII
08-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Hey Dave. Just wanted to add my admiration for reflections #5. Beautiful stuff man. The "Mandy in Kimono" paintings are drop dead gorgeous, and the alt covers from Alias were also eye-popping good. I love the "social" sketches too. The ones of Andy Lee playing guitar seemed to jump off the page to me. You could almost hear what he was playing (In my mind's ear it's classical spanish style. What does he actually play?)
I don't usually buy sketch books and such, but this was too beatiful not to own. Good job Dave, and keep 'em coming!

Gelf
(BTW, My David Mack Gallery should be all up soon. I'll post pictures after we hang the last batch and clean up the living room. lol.)

Los
08-11-2005, 08:56 AM
I just gotta say that your book continues to blow me away. I always read it last, because it's one of the only books that actually makes me reflect. I gotta now track down the trades to see how it all began.

jccheung
08-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi David,

About the Canadian price: You have a really good point. I have no idea why the price is so high in Canadian. That seems really strange and I will check into it. No one checks with me about that ahead of time, and I don't know who chooses the Canadianb price.

But next time I am in Canada at a convention, everyone who bought this issue of Reflections in Canadian dollars can mention it to me and show me your Reflections #5, and I'll be happy to throw in an extra issue of a signed Kabuki book that you are missing to try to make up for it.

It doesn't make any sense at all but I still gotta buy the books I love. :)

Wow, once again this reaffirms David as the nicest guy in comics (to go along with his title of '"Best Breakdancer In Comics"). ;)

jccheung
08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Hello fellow Torontonian!

Hope this helps you.

I live in Scarborough and have a free membership at AK Sports Cards & Comics (Agincourt Mall) where I get 20% off of the Canadian cover so that helps but that doesn't justify why the comic book publishers are gouging us here in Canada as the two are mutually exclusive. Sorry, still ranting. :P

Go Leafs Go! :)

Izebhel
08-12-2005, 10:30 AM
picked this up in Chicago (thanks so much for signing it, and everything else i bought, Mack). love to see the quick sketches. brilliant work! can't wait for the "Art of" book to come out!

TomBlinker
08-15-2005, 05:46 AM
great issue.
the cover of alias with purple man in puppet master and your self portrait in "symbolic" shapes were my favorite

copypastepuke
08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
i thought the book was awesome.
i love the unused piece from the echo arc.
it is beautiful.

as well as everything else in the book.!

T-Dro
08-16-2005, 05:18 AM
David - Thanks for putting my lil ole tattoo in the book! That made me SO HAPPY!!!

ElectricMuse
08-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Some thoughts on Reflections #5

I really enjoyed seeing the step by step sequence of the painting of the cover for The Ghost Play. Your work is so fluid yet quite intentional so it's neat to see the "behind the scenes" process. Like I love that you decided that the hands were distracting so you covered them up, but still left a bit of one peeking through the paint - never noticed that before on the comic cover!

Can't wait to see The Art of David Mack book.

I'm a fan of Klimt too, The Three Stages of Woman is one of my faves, so I think you really captured his style but found a way to make it your own.

The life drawing sketches are awesome! I should do that more often! Do you still sketch?

-Talya

MACK!
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Some thoughts on Reflections #5

I really enjoyed seeing the step by step sequence of the painting of the cover for The Ghost Play. Your work is so fluid yet quite intentional so it's neat to see the "behind the scenes" process. Like I love that you decided that the hands were distracting so you covered them up, but still left a bit of one peeking through the paint - never noticed that before on the comic cover!

Can't wait to see The Art of David Mack book.

I'm a fan of Klimt too, The Three Stages of Woman is one of my faves, so I think you really captured his style but found a way to make it your own.

The life drawing sketches are awesome! I should do that more often! Do you still sketch?

-Talya

Thanks for the kind feed back on this book so far.

I do still sketch. I do it quite regularly. That is the kind of art I do for simple enjoyment. Usually in social situations. I like drawing the people that I tend to spend time with. I find it very enjoyable and relaxing.

gwyllgi
08-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Reflections #5 was awesome, Mr. Mack! I'm all inspired AGAIN to get that tattoo, cept I have no funds for it. I think I should get a quote and see how much it'd run me, give me something to strive for. :)

MACK!
08-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Reflections #5 was awesome, Mr. Mack! I'm all inspired AGAIN to get that tattoo, cept I have no funds for it. I think I should get a quote and see how much it'd run me, give me something to strive for. :)

Thanks!

I'm really glad you liked it!
Keep me updated on the tattoo :)

See you in Atlanta!

Who else is going to Dragon Con next week?

Trent Affair
09-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Damn. Reflections #5. Yes. What range this Mack fellow has. Impressionist watercolors, pen and ink, collage, pencil sketch, and so on. All very strong, none that you can point to and say, well this style is weaker than that style. An impressive collection of work to say the least. I love the ballpoint pen sushi bar. And the kimono watercolors. This fellow has some good-looking friends, nearly but not quite as good looking as he, like the event horizon of a black hole you can approach but never reach. The Art of book will be something special, one can tell.

My life -
There is a big celebration on campus today for my school's anniversary. Live bands, cake, etc. Also all the student clubs are set up on the mall. Rows of booths. Like a comic-con!!! I found my holy grail, Arak Sun of Thunder #34 NM in the quarter bin!!!! I'm getting John Byrne to sign it (limit 2 when on-duty). I feel right at home. So here are the student organizations I signed up for:

-ITO Intern'l Teachers Organization
-GSO Graduate Student Org
-SSA Swedish Student Assn (They throw parties and have Swedish women) (David, I talked to one about Bergman and she said 'he's pretty good'. Pretty good???)

Most of these are social and networking clubs. They have picnics on the beach and other whatnot. There's a live mariachi band playing right now. Sodas, water, candy, food, and a little rain. I got three oranges for a dollar.

AvidFan
09-16-2005, 03:47 PM
er,,, does anybody know when R#5 is out in the UK?

I contacted my store saturday, and they said they had no news as to when it would be in!

just a concerned reader lol!

AF.

MACK!
09-16-2005, 04:54 PM
er,,, does anybody know when R#5 is out in the UK?

I contacted my store saturday, and they said they had no news as to when it would be in!

just a concerned reader lol!

AF.

It seems like it would be in the UK by now. It was released here in early August.

So I'm sure they can re-order it if they missed it the first time and get it asap.

Best,
DM

MACK!
09-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Damn. Reflections #5. Yes. What range this Mack fellow has. Impressionist watercolors, pen and ink, collage, pencil sketch, and so on. All very strong, none that you can point to and say, well this style is weaker than that style. An impressive collection of work to say the least. I love the ballpoint pen sushi bar. And the kimono watercolors. This fellow has some good-looking friends, nearly but not quite as good looking as he, like the event horizon of a black hole you can approach but never reach. The Art of book will be something special, one can tell.

My life -
There is a big celebration on campus today for my school's anniversary. Live bands, cake, etc. Also all the student clubs are set up on the mall. Rows of booths. Like a comic-con!!! I found my holy grail, Arak Sun of Thunder #34 NM in the quarter bin!!!! I'm getting John Byrne to sign it (limit 2 when on-duty). I feel right at home. So here are the student organizations I signed up for:

-ITO Intern'l Teachers Organization
-GSO Graduate Student Org
-SSA Swedish Student Assn (They throw parties and have Swedish women) (David, I talked to one about Bergman and she said 'he's pretty good'. Pretty good???)

Most of these are social and networking clubs. They have picnics on the beach and other whatnot. There's a live mariachi band playing right now. Sodas, water, candy, food, and a little rain. I got three oranges for a dollar.

I'm glad things are going great in Hawaii!
Thanks for the update.
Really glad you are doing it.

Feel welcome to keep us updated here!
:)

And I saw your blog of our police adventure and bicycles.
:)

AvidFan
09-17-2005, 02:50 PM
thanks David I will send them an email with the relevant info and see what happens!

AF.

AvidFan
09-24-2005, 02:33 PM
it's a weird one I'll grant ya!

it wasnt on my delivery list
it wasnt on the bill

but when my comics arrived this morning there it was!!!!!

excellent stuff Mr M!
and there's 4 more like this???

can I ask who the woman with the dragon on her shoulder is?
cos I want that on mine!!!!
the one with the bones for wings???

cant wait to read it!
more money well spent!

andy.

MACK!
09-24-2005, 04:03 PM
it's a weird one I'll grant ya!

it wasnt on my delivery list
it wasnt on the bill

but when my comics arrived this morning there it was!!!!!

excellent stuff Mr M!
and there's 4 more like this???

can I ask who the woman with the dragon on her shoulder is?
cos I want that on mine!!!!
the one with the bones for wings???

cant wait to read it!
more money well spent!

andy.

Hi!
Glad you have it.

Yes, 4 previous Reflections books. All the same format. 48 pages and squarebound.

All kinds of stuff in them.
You can order them from any of my sites or from the back of the Kabuki book on the checklist if your store can't find them.

Most of them are sold out. Maybe all of them at this point. So mostly only availble through me directly.

Check out davidmackguide.com for a complete collection of all the Kabuki tattoos with info. I think it is under the fan works section.

Are you in Ecosse Scotland?

AvidFan
09-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Hey David!

thanks for the reply... you may be interested, or may not :) but I will be taking it in to college as you work is the best example of mixed media art I know!
I tell everyone about it there includidng the staff and they all want to see it, this Reflections series is perfect!

was also thinking of doing my communications report on your art and process as well.
ok to title it the Art of David Mack? ... 12 page report with pictures.

thanks
andy
ps - just of to order that one as well lol!

AvidFan
09-26-2005, 01:01 AM
does anyone have the order details for The Art of David Mack?
d-dates/order #'s etc?

tried doing a search here and @ theguide.com but no luck yet!
even tried the link to newsarama.com as well

thanks in adavance
AF.

MACK!
09-26-2005, 01:57 AM
Hey David!

thanks for the reply... you may be interested, or may not :) but I will be taking it in to college as you work is the best example of mixed media art I know!
I tell everyone about it there includidng the staff and they all want to see it, this Reflections series is perfect!

was also thinking of doing my communications report on your art and process as well.
ok to title it the Art of David Mack? ... 12 page report with pictures.

thanks
andy
ps - just of to order that one as well lol!

Thanks!

The Art of book hasn't been offered yet. It will be from Marvel in 2006.
Davidmackguide.com will post the ship dates etc when it is in the Marvel catalogue.

You are Andy Dale, right?
You have a letter in the Kabuki #5.
From one of your posts about #4.

Just giving you a warning!

I posted a list on the Bendis board of people on these boards that have letters in #5.

Is Ecosse your city?

AvidFan
09-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Hey David

thanks for the heads on the AoDM! was getting worried I'd missed it!

and for my sisns it is me yes! again?
twice!?! cool that's an extra one on the sold list!
maybe more after tuesday's lesson!

mind you when I first mentioned David Mack the staff got you confused with a scottish artist called David Mac... until I started talking about your writings and I got funny looks... I let your work point out the differences... the tori amos stuff was a big hit with them.

thanks for the info, cant wait to get it ordered.

andy dale

MACK!
10-31-2005, 12:49 AM
For those that missed it, Reflections #5 is still available for your comic shop to re-order from Marvel.
But it won't be forever.
So just giving you the heads up to order while it is still in stock.

It looks like 1-4 are out of stock at Image.

MACK!
11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
It looks like Image may have a few of #1 & 2 that just resurfaced in an inventory warehouse. Just fyi.

And I still offer 1,2 & 4 from the back of the books.

MACK!
01-14-2006, 02:37 AM
I just learned from Marvel that Retailers can order Reflections #5 this week for a sale price just for the week. it is some kind of limited time sale Marvel offers retailers from time to time, and this week Reflections #5 is included.
Just mention to your retailer, and they may pass some savings on to you before it is over or before the book sells out of stock.