PDA

View Full Version : Why is Luke Cage an Avenger?

Amos Moses
08-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Cage is a pretty cool character, but in terms of abilities, wtf is he doing on the Avengers? All he has is unbreakable skin right? Maybe enhanced strength? Yeah, he was there at The Raft when all hell broke loose, but I still get the feeling that he'll be the Daphne of the Avengers. He'll be the one that gets captured, or mind controlled, or beat up. He just seems pretty low tier to be with Earth's Mightiest Heros. Just my opinion.

Jibberwashed
08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty sure he has hightened strength. Maybe spiderman level strength. I'm pretty sure, but I gotta check my marvel cards...

andrew french
08-09-2005, 12:33 PM
well if you want an answer pertaining to eh power, i'm pretty sure he's pretty fuggin' strong.

but i mean, he's luke cage? you can't question that.

Kefky
08-09-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm actually hoping he really keeps the Wrecker's crowbar. It should give him a pretty decent power-up.

EDIT: Oh, and he has super-strenght, but by no means Spidey-level. Spidey could whoop him pretty easily.

innocentboy
08-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Spider-Man level strength? really? always thought he had more of ... Rogue level

God bless,
innocentboy
http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/isaiah3.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc8.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc10.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc9.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc14.jpg
my visual art: http://www.innocentboyproductions.com (http://www.innocentboyproductions.com) last updated, August 7, 2005
Song of Songs the Comic Book: http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com (http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com) last updated August 7, 2005
"COMIC BOOK MASTER" - TorontoHipHop.com
nosebleed, nosebleed, rain, nosebleed, nosebleed, yawn

tjtolosa
Isn't it because Bendis has a man crush on him? ;)

DeleriumTremens
I think unbreakable skin and superhuman strength rates as Avengers worthy. If you just take powers into account all Captain America has is Super Stength/Agility and a Shield.

Olivier E.
08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
What was Hawkeye doing in the Aengers?
What was Hank Pym?
What was The Beast?
What was Wasp?
What was Scarlet Witch?
What was Iron Man?
and so on

Boris the Blade
He tore apart Osborns car in The Pulse with his bare hands. Methinks he has super-strength. He's also a different voice on the team. We have the government, big business, wise-cracker, killing machine... he's the street, he's got street smarts, he thinks differently and can better represent the little guy than Cap or Iron Man.

Keith P.
From what I recall of the old Marvel Handbooks Cage is in the 10 ton strength range. Like Spider-man.

Humphrey_Lee
08-09-2005, 12:36 PM
He's almost as durable as Hercules, and last I checked was pretty close to Spidey's strength, and that's just fine. There have been plenty of those "mid-range" guys on the Avengers before.

innocentboy
08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
damn .... Spidey's pretty fucking strong you know

God bless,
innocentboy
http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/isaiah3.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc8.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc10.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc9.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc14.jpg
my visual art: http://www.innocentboyproductions.com (http://www.innocentboyproductions.com) last updated, August 7, 2005
Song of Songs the Comic Book: http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com (http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com) last updated August 7, 2005
"COMIC BOOK MASTER" - TorontoHipHop.com
nosebleed, nosebleed, rain, nosebleed, nosebleed, yawn

Kefky
08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
What was Hank Pym?
What was The Beast?
What was Wasp?
What was Scarlet Witch?
What was Iron Man?
and so on

Your comparison makes sense except for Wanda who has magic, which is obviously useful in a lot of ways, and Iron Man is just a freaking powerhouse.

RebootedCorpse
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
dude, Cage replaced the Thing in FF for a while. He's got all kinds of superhero cred.

Generic Poster
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Mantis, Dr. Druid and Moondragon were all Avengers too. I think Cage is several tiers above those goobs.

Generic Poster
08-09-2005, 12:40 PM
dude, Cage replaced the Thing in FF for a while. He's got all kinds of superhero cred.

Eh? When was this?

Amos Moses
What was Hank Pym?
What was The Beast?
What was Wasp?
What was Scarlet Witch?
What was Iron Man?
and so on

Hawkeye was probably a bad choice. While the bow skill was pretty useful, he was probably more of a liability than an asset.

Hank Pym? The guy they call Goliath? Yeah, he's definatly a good team member.

Beast, again, probably wasn't Avenger material. Maybe not a "in the field" member, but he could be useful for that brain of his.

Wasp? Dunno, shrinking could be useful, and she was a natural leader.

Wanda uses magic. Magic = always useful

Iron Man? You're joking right? Thats like saying why is Thor an Avenger?

Jibberwashed
Also, maybe it was to make the team more diverse, in that you wouldn't expect Cage to be an Avenger, as he's more of a solo guy, and that's different from Wolverine...because he's black.

andrew french
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM

agreed!

Olivier E.
08-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Hawkeye was probably a bad choice. While the bow skill was pretty useful, he was probably more of a liability than an asset.

Hank Pym? The guy they call Goliath? Yeah, he's definatly a good team member.

Beast, again, probably wasn't Avenger material. Maybe not a "in the field" member, but he could be useful for that brain of his.

Wasp? Dunno, shrinking could be useful, and she was a natural leader.

Wanda uses magic. Magic = always useful

Iron Man? You're joking right? Thats like saying why is Thor an Avenger?

Iron man was sick like an old dude in the early Avengers

Pym one gunshot dead, Wanda one gunshot dead, Hawkeye gunshot dies

Cage gunshot survives

RebootedCorpse
08-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Eh? When was this?
Around issue 170.

Jibberwashed
08-09-2005, 12:45 PM

Cage gunshot survives

Do supervillains ever use guns? Maybe the trio from Buffy...

Amos Moses
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Cage gunshot survives

I think Pym could take a slug if he was in Goliath mode. I really doubt any bullet could hit Wanda. Hawkeye, like I said, is probably a liability. It's not really about their vulnerabilities, but more about they're powers. Cage is basically a "strong guy" on a team full of lite-hulks.

andrew french
08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
i think we can all agree on one thing.
how ass that 90's era avengers team was. that's the one i saw when i was growing up. with brown leather jackets, and the black knight as the leader, and hank pym with millions of pouches, and a SHAVED hercules wearing a sleeveless t-shirt.

i have a a poster in my rooom of them.

Amos Moses
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
how ass that 90's era avengers team was. that's the one i saw when i was growing up. with brown leather jackets, and the black knight as the leader, and hank pym with millions of pouches, and a SHAVED hercules wearing a sleeveless t-shirt.

i have a a poster in my rooom of them.

Hank Pym with pouches, that made me giggle.

GelfXIII
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Do supervillains ever use guns? Maybe the trio from Buffy...

Are you kidding? Supes gets shot at ALL the time! How else can you see the bullets bouncing off and like that?

The trick is that villains ONLY shoot at heroes who are bullet proof. Or have uncanny dodge at +10

Kefky
08-09-2005, 12:50 PM
High-pouches?

andrew french
08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Hank Pym with pouches, that made me giggle.

yes they lined his entire body. fields of yellow pouches.

Olivier E.
08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Are you kidding? Supes gets shot at ALL the time! How else can you see the bullets bouncing off and like that?

The trick is that villains ONLY shoot at heroes who are bullet proof. Or have uncanny dodge at +10

or they use laserguns :lol:

Boris the Blade
08-09-2005, 12:59 PM
There's more reasons to be on a team than strength. I mean, not if all you care about is who beats up who, but if you like some story too, it makes good sense to have someone of a bit more diverse origins to adequately represent different people.

The Nature Roy
08-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Quite a while back his strength level was in the 3 ton range, although I'm pretty sure he's stronger than that now.

Justin.Strange
08-09-2005, 01:05 PM
goddamn i wanna see Jim Mahfood do a Luke Cage solo book...

andrew french
08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
goddamn i wanna see Jim Mahfood do a Luke Cage solo book...
that would be AMAZING.

Balthazar
08-09-2005, 01:17 PM
According to the Marvel website, both he and spidey have a level 4 strength. Whatever that means.

TheTravis!
08-09-2005, 02:10 PM
The real answer is that if Bendis tries to do a Marvel book and not have Cage in it, he gets the nervous shakes and passes right out.

Bendis is gay for Luke Cage.

Amos Moses
08-09-2005, 02:35 PM
The real answer is that if Bendis tries to do a Marvel book and not have Cage in it, he gets the nervous shakes and passes right out.

Bendis is gay for Luke Cage.

That's probably true. I was kinda confused whenl Cage showed up in Secret War.

TheTravis!
08-09-2005, 08:08 PM
That's probably true. I was kinda confused whenl Cage showed up in Secret War.

Wish fulfillment. Every Jewish dude wishes he was a big black man. And that he could have anal sex with some girl he picks up at a bar.

It's true.

Amos Moses
08-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Wish fulfillment. Every Jewish dude wishes he was a big black man. And that he could have anal sex with some girl he picks up at a bar.

It's true.

Sigh, now I have to go find the "Unban" Travis banner.

TheTravis!
08-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Sigh, now I have to go find the "Unban" Travis banner.

That is SO not the worst thing I have ever posted.

Patrick J
08-09-2005, 08:13 PM
You outta your mind?

Luke Cage is going to be important and integral to many operations undertaken by the New Avengers.

Women love him, he'll be able to seduce Madame Hydra and then steal all kinds of information from her bedroom while she's still recovering, bleeding from her asshole, under the satin sheets after dancing the anal horizontal mambo with Luke Cage.

Amos Moses
08-09-2005, 08:14 PM
That is SO not the worst thing I have ever posted.

Probably not, but I have a feeling you stepped on holy ground. Whats with the anal sex jokes though?

Hypester23
08-09-2005, 08:16 PM
I think Cage is great until you bring in Sentry. Then he seems kind of obscured and redundant.

TheTravis!
08-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Probably not, but I have a feeling you stepped on holy ground. Whats with the anal sex jokes though?

Alias #1. Bendis introduces a new character into the Marvel Univrese who will become integral to several key comics in the coming years. And then he lets Luke Cage fuck her in the ass.

Amos Moses
08-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Alias #1. Bendis introduces a new character into the Marvel Univrese who will become integral to several key comics in the coming years. And then he lets Luke Cage fuck her in the ass.

I can see why Alias was a MAX title.

TheTravis!
08-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I can see why Alias was a MAX title.

MAX = ANAL

It's a code.

Joe Henderson
08-09-2005, 08:20 PM

That's the best summary of Alias #1 I've ever read.

TheTravis!
08-09-2005, 08:22 PM
That's the best summary of Alias #1 I've ever read.

Thanks. :)

Somebody should give me a job reviewing comics. I'd be fucking awesome at it.

DeleriumTremens
08-09-2005, 08:25 PM
That review was disturbingly accurate. I hate to say one of my alltime favorite books revolved around a character and anal sex.

Justin.Strange
08-09-2005, 08:44 PM
that would be AMAZING.

word. i think it'd be fantastic.

Cage doing the big time Avengers saving the world thing is cool, but i'd really love to see him go back to the hood, to his roots ya know?

Let Mahood handle the script ad let him do his Grrl Scouts hip-hop/pop culture commentary thing and try to get Eduaro Risso do his 100 Bullets thing on art and you have a winner i think.

hes kinda like the Jay-Z of superheroes! sorta kinda...

andrew french
08-09-2005, 08:49 PM
word. i think it'd be fantastic.

Cage doing the big time Avengers saving the world thing is cool, but i'd really love to see him go back to the hood, to his roots ya know?

Let Mahood handle the script ad let him do his Grrl Scouts hip-hop/pop culture commentary thing and try to get Eduaro Risso do his 100 Bullets thing on art and you have a winner i think.

hes kinda like the Jay-Z of superheroes! sorta kinda...
seriously i really really hope this happens now. seriously. it HAS to.

Justin.Strange
08-09-2005, 08:58 PM
it'd be so rad if it did.

he's gonna probably get his own book eventually. maybe somebody Marvel sees this thread and makes Mahfood/Risso the creative team on the Luke Cage book. its a longshot but it could happen....

andrew french
08-09-2005, 09:02 PM

he's gonna probably get his own book eventually. maybe somebody Marvel sees this thread and makes Mahfood/Risso the creative team on the Luke Cage book. its a longshot but it could happen....
definitely. there has to be some marvel guy who would think this is a great idea.

DeleriumTremens
08-09-2005, 09:05 PM

I'd definately buy it.

the last ronin
08-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Token.

ds9
08-10-2005, 05:04 AM

i have a a poster in my rooom of them.No we dont all agree ifyou look at each arc of stories there were hits and misses. I know its the cool thing to say that old avengers were garbage until Bendis took over but it wasnt all bad. The Steve Epting era of books were a fun and enjoyable arc of books.

J.D. Lombardi
08-10-2005, 05:15 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think Cage is a pretty cool character, but in terms of abilities, wtf is he doing on the Avengers? All he has is unbreakable skin right? Maybe enhanced strength? Yeah, he was there at The Raft when all hell broke loose, but I still get the feeling that he'll be the Daphne of the Avengers. He'll be the one that gets captured, or mind controlled, or beat up. He just seems pretty low tier to be with Earth's Mightiest Heros. Just my opinion.

If you're gonna give me the Black Knight, Hercules, Triathalon, or a host of other characters in the Avengers, lol do me a favor and give me CAGE first. It is about time that he got his due as a character in the MU.

His situation is not unlike the current DC situation with say a Booster Gold...

The characters were written as jokes for so long, people started forgetting that they were ever popular or viable to begin with. Under a talented writer like Bendis, Cage will be a MU star. I think the Avengers is a perfect place to "rehab" him.

Dreg
08-10-2005, 05:18 AM
When I was collecting them old Marvel trading cards, it said he could only lift a ton. So he's like 1/10 Spiderman strength.

Gavin
08-10-2005, 10:28 AM
There always needs to be a crappy Avenger so the other ones will look better and feel better about themselves. That's why they had Giant Man and Hawkeye.

Shwicaz
08-10-2005, 10:30 AM

I just read the Essential Luke Cage, Power Man vol 1.

I don't think someone who borrows a rocket ship from the FF to go after Dr. Doom in Latveria because he owes him a few bucks is going to be 'the weakest link' in the chain belt.

;)

Justin.Strange
08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
The characters were written as jokes for so long, people started forgetting that they were ever popular or viable to begin with. Under a talented writer like Bendis, Cage will be a MU star. I think the Avengers is a perfect place to "rehab" him.

word. Cage is the Nightwing of Marvel i think. he has so much potentional and could be one of the greats, but hes kinda been used kinda wrongly in the past..

Keith P.
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I like Bendis version of Cage for one of the main reasons I liked Jessica Jones.

Its nice to have a character in the Marvel U who doesn't take things for granted. Who actually looks at some of the situations they encounter and would say things like "What.The.Fuck? You have guns that shoot...paste?"