PDA

View Full Version : getting autographs

primoos
03-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm hitting the Toronto Con this year and was wonderinghow many comics are artists usually willing to sign? I know Bendis said he would sign anything you bring. But what about Warren Ellis, David Mack, Kaare Andrews and such. Just curious it'll be my first con.

Shane W
03-28-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm hitting the Toronto Con this year and was wonderinghow many comics are artists usually willing to sign? I know Bendis said he would sign anything you bring. But what about Warren Ellis, David Mack, Kaare Andrews and such. Just curious it'll be my first con.

Mack is as cool as the other side of the pillow, sorry, I can't help with the others.

Genius J
03-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Depends on the line. If there's lots of people waiting, the con nazis usually limit you to 2-4 items.

primoos
03-28-2005, 10:59 AM
I'd be happy with 4 books signed.

Shane W
03-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I'd be happy with 4 books signed.

You should be okay. I'm going to test bendis the next time and bring some off-the-wall things to sign.. Like a Ladies Home Journal

JABSEN
03-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Depends on the line.But last con I went to people had stacks of books per artist

JayPee
03-28-2005, 11:04 AM
if you're an artist and you're going to a con it's to sell your comics and sign shit for people. expect to get signatures from anyone on the guest list.

Corey A.
03-28-2005, 11:04 AM

Bendis & Mack are very cool. I would assume the others are cool too because their at the con to meet with the fans right? I wouldn't go up to them out in the hotel lobby or at dinner, they might get a little pissy.

RebootedCorpse
03-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Attention whores all.
They will sign anything for you. ;)

J.D. Lombardi
03-28-2005, 11:49 AM
most people will sign anything. Bendis is great about LITERALLY signing whatever you put in front of him...but for me, there are two negatives to it:

--people literally will unload short boxes of comics for him while you're stuck behind them with like 2 books (the nature of Marvel's snake-like lines don't let anyone slip ahead)

--Bendis does sign his name on books, but after a while he'll go to "B!" mode.

Like I said, it is great that he signs all the books...and I can't blame him for only signing the "B!" on so many...but for myself, I wanted the longhand.

Just one dork's observation. :rolleyes:

KevinB
03-28-2005, 08:21 PM
I don't think you'll have any problems getting your books signed at our convention. Since Saturday will be the busiest (and craziest) day, if you have a lot of books to get signed I recommend you try to get them done on the days when things aren't going to be as hectic, like Friday night and/or Sunday.

If you can't find a specific guest let us know and one of our volunteers or staff will help you out.

Unlike some conventions, most of the guests of the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon have their own space that they can use for the entire duration of the event - that is their "home base" and, as a result, they are usually around that space during the show hours (unless they are in a panel, or on a washroom, drink or smoke break). Check the map in the program booklet for the seating plan.

Some of the artists you mentioned - Phil and Kaare specifically, take great pride in the free con sketches they do for their fans and love to talk with their fans while they are working on them. If you are in a line and only have a couple of comics to get signed (and you don't want a sketch), let one of the Comicon volunteers know and they will see if the artist will sign your books for you so you don't have to wait in line forever.

Thanks,
Kevin Boyd
Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon
www.torontocomicon.com

gaspar
03-28-2005, 08:33 PM

I've met Kaare twice and he seemed willing to sign as much as people put in front of him. Bendis and Mack are the same. Never met Ellis, so can't say with him, but most creators are pretty cool about signing however much stuff you want.

Brandon