PDA

View Full Version : THANKS A LOT, BMB!!!!! Spider-Woman news from WWCHICAGO!!!!

Tom Burgos
08-05-2005, 02:03 PM
REJOYCE!!!!!! (great interview)
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=5711 (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=5711)

Brian is my hero!!!!!!
Senor Bendis, please, please, don't forget about the bizarre, supernatural tone that many of Spider-Woman's best early stories had.
I am soooo psyched about the whole spy/intrigue.SHIELD angle that your new book will have, but could you sprinkle some Morgan le fay, some Chthon and some Nekra too? They are all excellent foils for Jessica!!!!!

In any case, I am soo there regardless!!!!
THANKS AGAIN, BMB!!!!!

DrMachine
08-05-2005, 02:03 PM
thanks for posting this!

Boris the Blade
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Search function.

Ben Rosen
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
man, i did the original thread and even I don't care about someone else posting it. not a big deal.

lovewillkill
08-05-2005, 02:52 PM
could you sprinkle some Morgan le fay, some Chthon and some Nekra too?

You're kidding, right? I would like to go on record requesting that these characters never show up in anything again. If you're going to deal with Arthurian legend in a Marvel comic, use Captain Britain. Chthon? User Dr. Strange. And Nekra? Freaking NEKRA? Lame. Lame, lame LAME!

I just read the Giant Size Spider-Woman and I have to say I was shocked that Claremont wrote those last couple stories around the same time he was writing the X-Men. His X-Men stories were light-years ahead of what he did on SW.

lwk

Taxman
08-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Is that the same Brian Reed from Regarding Kubiak?

Dreg
08-05-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm bordering on apathetic. Which is a step up from last week, when I truly hated the character. Who knows, if things continue in this direction, I just might truly and honestly not give a shit.

And Werewolf By Night's not a villain. Silly Bendis.

Brian Reed
08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Is that the same Brian Reed from Regarding Kubiak?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe.

Tom Burgos
08-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Yes, Nekra...please...She is one of the coolest, most underrated villains ever.

I can't wait to read the SW books!!!!

lovewillkill
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Yes, Nekra...please...She is one of the coolest, most underrated villains ever.

(stolet off of http://www.norse-man.net/Marvel/Char-N/Nekra.htm)

Legal Status: U.S. citizen with criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Los Alamos, New Mexico
Marital Status: Single
Known Relatives: Gemma and Buck (parents, deceased)
Base of Operations: Mobile
Past Group Affiliations: Lethal Legion, former priestess of Black Spectre and Kali
Known Powers:
Strength Increase: Once every eight hours Nekra can boost her Strength to Incredible for up to one hour. She can trigger this power by extremely violent hatred or a Psyche FEAT.
Armor Skin: As a side effect of her increased strength, she gains Amazing protection from both physical and energy attacks.
Tracking: Nekra has the Excellent ability to follow trails left by others.
Zombie Creation: Nekra has the Remarkable ability to create zombies, an act requiring only 8 minutes. She can control up to 30 zombies at one time. As a Power Stunt, she can transform a corpse into a lifelike zombie with the original person’s personality and Abilities.
Weakness:
Nekra is at -2cs when trying to resist any form of scent-based attack.
Talents:
Nekra is familiar with Occult Lore and Martial Arts A, B, and E.
Contacts:
Nekra has worked with both the Mandrill and Black Talon.
Role-Playing Notes:
Nekra is a bitter woman seeking revenge against America for its rejection of her. She has expanded her sights to world conquest and is a canny strategist who makes extensive preparations before striking. She will gladly use others as pawns and sacrifices in her schemes.
History:
Nekra was the daughter of Gemma Sinclair, a black cleaning woman at the Los Alamos Atomic Proving Grounds in New Mexico. A year before Nekra was born, her mother and Frederick Beechman, a Caucasian scientist, were exposed to a massive dose of radiation. Beechman’s wife gave birth to a son named Jerome at about the same time Nekra was born, and somehow the racial patterns displayed by the children were reversed: the girl born of the black parents had chalk-white skin, and the boy born of white par ents was a deep brown.
The young Nekra grew up despised by her parents and hated by other children. When she was ten years old, she ran away from home, and met her male counterpart Jerome Beechman (who had been similarly mistreated) in the New Mexico desert. Sensing the kinship between them, the two began to wander together. For the next six years, they lived on the edge of civilization, surviving by stealth and cunning, and educating themselves by reading stolen books. But one night, angry New Mexican townspeople, believing the two children to be “monsters,” attacked them with pitchforks and guns. Nekra responded to their fear and hatred in kind, and as her rage grew within her, her latent mutant powers surfaced. She and young Beechman slew some of their attackers and drove off the rest.

In the years that followed, Nekra developed fangs and grew more vampiric in appearance while Beechman grew to resemble a mandrill. Beechman conceived the ambitious scheme of overthrowing three small West African governments and consolidating the nations under his rule. He took the name Mandrill, and made Nekra the priestess of his personality cult. But that plan was thwarted by the jungle adventurer Shanna O’Hara. In the aftermath of their African fiasco, Mandrill and Nekra regrouped and formed Black Spectre, an organization of black women dedicated to the overthrow of the United States government. Their plot, which culminated with a brief takeover of the White House, was thwarted by Daredevil, with the help of Shanna O’Hara and the Black Widow. While the Mandrill escaped, Nekra was taken into custody by SHIELD.

Nekra spent several months confined in a SHIELD holding facility, drugged so that she would be unable to use her powers. But during her incarceration, she saw the television broadcast of a rally held by the Hate-Monger, and responded to subliminal frequencies designed to stimulate hatred in the viewing audience. This overwhelmed the effects of the drugs given her, and Nekra escaped, vowing vengeance on the Mandrill, who had abandoned her.

Nekra soon happened upon a den of fanatics in an abandoned subway tunnel in New York City and, sensing opportunity, offered herself as a sacrifice to their death-goddess, Kali, knowing that her power would make it impossible for them to kill her. When she “miraculously” survived the sacrifice, she told the cultists that she was their goddess incarnate, and demanded that the current priestesses of the cult, Shaya and Ushas, submit themselves to sacrifice as she had done. Those priestesses failed to survive, and with their deaths Nekra became the High Priestess of the Cult of Kali.

Later, Nekra established a base of operations on the West Coast by murdering Adrienne Hatos, the reclusive widow of the founder of a clinic for emotional research, and taking her place. Nekra hoped to use the clinic’s resources to learn why her powers depended on violent emotion, and why softer emotions made her vulnerable. Nekra’s connection to the clinic was discovered by Jessica Drew, the original Spider-Woman, and in the ensuing battle, weakened as she was by the Spider-Woman’s pheromone emissions, Nekra sustained severe injuries. Nekra was once again taken into SHIELD custody, and kept in a research hospital until she was well enough to be moved to prison.

But Nekra recovered more quickly than her doctors had anticipated, and escaped from the hospital before she could be moved. Abandoning the Cult of Kali, she made contact with the voodoo-master known as the Black Talon, and through him met the Grim Reaper. In him, Nekra found a man whose passion for hatred matched her own, and they became lovers in spite of their very different backgrounds. Nekra joined the Grim Reaper’s Lethal Legion, and assisted the Black Talon in capturing the Grim Reaper’s enemy the Vision, and in creating a zombie that resembles the Grim Reaper’s brother Simon Williams, alias Wonder Man. The Grim Reaper planned to give the zombie those brain patterns which the Vision and Wonder Man had in common in order to create a Simon Williams closer to what he remembered his brother to be than were either Wonder Man or the Vision. The plan failed, however, and while fleeing the two in a cave, the Grim Reaper fell off a ledge and was impaled on a stalagmite. Nekra found his lifeless body and brought it back to life as a zombie in order to exact revenge on the Vision. Her subsequent activities are as yet unknown.

the girl born of the black parents had chalk-white skin, and the boy born of white parents was a deep brown.

Okay, I'll admit that bit is kind of interesting. But there is a LOT of cheese in there. The scary thing is that Bendis probably could make her interesting and relevant, rather than just a lame '70s attempt at racial commentary.

lwk

Tom Burgos
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I love how those bios from role-playing games always get their info wrong.
:roll:
Have you ever read her appearances in Spider-Woman, West Coast Avengers and Druid?

She is an absolute diamond in the rough, particularly in regards to the talented Bendis...he could absolutely make her relevant again and oh-so-cool.

In fact, any writer with imagination and talent can make any character great, no matter how "lame" or "cheesy"...
Who would have thought that after 20 years of obscurity, Spider-Woman would be getting an ORIGIN mini and an ongoing, two Wizard covers, plus both a bust and a FS Statue by Bowen, minimates, an Essential TPB and a Giant Size Collection?
Not ot mention a prominent role in MARVEL's # 1 selling book?

Thanks, Bendis!!!
(and don't forget to at least check out Nekra in Spider-Woman # 13-16)

Mr. E!
08-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Good luck making this look cool.
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/images/nekra/nekra1.jpg

Alex K.
08-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I like how they got her real name wrong in the opening sentence of the article. :thumb:

J. Wilson
08-05-2005, 05:37 PM
I'd definitely be interested in picking this up with it's spy angle, and just think, there's gotta be an opening for Bendis to do a Spider-Woman/Black Widow team up down the line.

Dreg
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Has Bendis officially retconned away Drew's time as a PI in the early issues of Wolverine?

Tom Burgos
08-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Good luck making this look cool.
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/images/nekra/nekra1.jpg

LOL!!!!
Of course, to try to prove your point, you chose to show her in the silly costume she wore in the Vision/Sscarlet Witch miniseries...
(read Spider-Woman # 14-15 and the DRUID mini by Warren Ellis so you can see how badass and cool Nekra can be in the right hands)
;-)