PDA

View Full Version : New Avengers #8 (Spoilers)

Shwicaz
08-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Yes, this is a review of New Avengers #8.

There are spoilers here, but not that much. If you don't want to know anything, don't read it:

New Avengers #8
written by Brian Michael Bendis
penciled by Steve McNiven
Inked by Mark Morales
SPECIAL GUEST ARTIST: SAL BUSCEMA (pages 1-3)

Having been a fan of Paul Jenkins 'Sentry' mini a few years back, I was very excited to hear of The Sentry being featured in New Avengers.

After last issue's stunning cliff-hanger, I wasn't sure what to think. I knew I loved the issue, but I was totally clueless as to where it is/was going.

Enter issue 8, which starts out with the legendary Sal Buscema doing the art chores for a tale from The Sentry comic.

Confronted with evidence that he may only just be a fictional character, and that the wife that he thought murdered is actually alive, The Sentry eludes Cap and Co. and returns to his 'normal life' in Connecticut.

Meanwhile, there is still the battle with The Wrecker to contend with. Sadly, The Wrecker, has pretty much wiped his butt with the team, and the only thing in his way is Spider-Woman. What could she possibly do?

The answer is not obvious, but you know something is at work, there. And when you get the reveal, not only does it make sense, but the reaction from the rest of the team caused me to laugh out loud.

McNiven's art shines here, as there is something oddly alluring about his Spider-Woman--actually all his characters are beautifully depicted. The sadness of the wrecker, the anguish of Linda, and the confusion and terror of The Sentry/Robert Reynolds are all wonderfully conveyed.

The final page was a complete surprise, as I didn't expect to see who I saw there, and the menacing cliff-hanger is just done right.

Inter-mixed into the story is a nice conversation between Tony Stark and Logan, a neat bit of inter-title continuity (that people who read The Runaways may enjoy), and a nice 'silver age' moment at the beginning.

I know people who have been down on New Avengers miss their old team, etc. But, 8 issues in, Bendis is really doing something different with this book, and this tale is very enjoyable. Mostly because I am confused. Again, I don't know where this story is going, and for that, I am wicked glad.

Grade: A

nihilance
08-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Looking forward to it.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
08-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Aren't there rumours going round that...

... The Sentry is actually Thor?

Shwicaz
08-03-2005, 05:52 AM
I have heard that speculation, Technofear.

I really don't put much stock in that. Not because of anything in this issue (or this arc so far), but just because I think that it is just way too crazy.

ds9
08-03-2005, 06:03 AM
The line up is cool to me but would love to see a black woman on the team also but its not my book and its selling like crazy. I just wish the team would assemble already but it will take time i know. The spidey/cage interplay is funny too because they dont take all this as serious as cap and iron man do. The spidey jokes were a bit much to me. I like Finchs art and im going to miss it when he goes to Moon Knight. He has a bit of the flashy type of art that was popular in the 90's. Even though i know Bendis hates alot the the mainstream comics from that era.

08-03-2005, 06:04 AM
I have heard that speculation, Technofear.

I really don't put much stock in that. Not because of anything in this issue (or this arc so far), but just because I think that it is just way too crazy.

This whole arc is way too crazy.

:wink:

08-03-2005, 06:05 AM
I like Finchs art and im going to miss it when he goes to Moon Knight. He has a bit of the flashy type of art that was popular in the 90's. Even though i know Bendis hates alot the the mainstream comics from that era.

McNiven's got that kind of style, too.

ItsDLEVY
08-03-2005, 07:37 AM
One thing that bugged me about this issue. Why go to the lengths to make the flashback art look faded and period and then muck it up with word balloons as crisp and as clear as today? Why can't they also look period?

Also, a question:
Who were the folks standing under Dr. Strange?

ds9
08-03-2005, 07:53 AM
McNiven's got that kind of style, too.Im glad hes going to do UXM.

Shwicaz
08-03-2005, 07:56 AM
One thing that bugged me about this issue. Why go to the lengths to make the flashback art look faded and period and then muck it up with word balloons as crisp and as clear as today? Why can't they also look period?

Also, a question:
Who were the folks standing under Dr. Strange?

Those are the inhumans

nihilance
08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Not bad at all. Having Jenkins be the author of the Flashback issues we saw in the Sentry mini instead of the author of the mini was a good move. Tony and Logan's conversation was good too (although I think it might have worked better chronologically rather than inserting a flashback in the story randomly).

I felt bad for Wrecker. After being offered help and letting his guard down he actually seemed like he wanted to be help...only to have the shit kicked out of him.

Nice use of silver age comicbook art (although Y the last man trumps it this week), and nice little group shot at the end.

So the Sentry still is a big mystery...and it seems that the Jenkins story needs to be thrown out the window to some degree...but I guess we'll see what happens.

Cth
08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Well, that sucks if the flashback issues were wiped out.

Ah well, guess I'll wait until later this afternoon to read it.

nihilance
08-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Well, that sucks if the flashback issues were wiped out.

Ah well, guess I'll wait until later this afternoon to read it.
By including Jenkins in the story they kind of had to do this though...otherwise there is the question of how does 616 Paul Jenkins know that Spider-man is Peter Parker, etc. Now if Bendis had used the imaginary artist that Paul Jenkins came up with who created Sentry with Stan Lee, you could have left the original series in continuity. But including Paul Jenkins in the story kind of throws that possibility out the window...unless there is some other component we are unaware of thus far.

Cth
08-03-2005, 08:52 AM
By including Jenkins in the story they kind of had to do this though...otherwise there is the question of how does 616 Paul Jenkins know that Spider-man is Peter Parker, etc. Now if Bendis had used the imaginary artist that Paul Jenkins came up with who created Sentry with Stan Lee, you could have left the original series in continuity. But including Paul Jenkins in the story kind of throws that possibility out the window...unless there is some other component we are unaware of thus far.

True, but I'm talking about the missing issues of the Hulk, and how they were sidekicks. If this is the case, it's just another example of a writer not knowing how to handle the character and taking the easy way out. It was a great opportunity to shake up the status quo for the Hulk, and how he's perceived in the Marvel U.

I keep hearing Quesada saying there's big plans for the Hulk, but I never see it followed through, and it's disappointing is all. For a flagship character, he gets very little respect, considering he helped found the Avengers, etc..

nihilance
08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
True, but I'm talking about the missing issues of the Hulk, and how they were sidekicks. If this is the case, it's just another example of a writer not knowing how to handle the character and taking the easy way out. It was a great opportunity to shake up the status quo for the Hulk, and how he's perceived in the Marvel U.

I keep hearing Quesada saying there's big plans for the Hulk, but I never see it followed through, and it's disappointing is all. For a flagship character, he gets very little respect, considering he helped found the Avengers, etc..
Oh yeah...as soon as I saw Paul Jenkins at the end of #7 I was afraid this was going to turn into one big missed opportunity. All I hear now are the many doors of opportunity the Sentry had available as a character slamming shut one by one.

Cth
08-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Ah well, either way, I'm happy the Sentry is back.. a great opportunity to explore a new character and how he reacts to the Marvel U.. I just dread how he'll be handled by others, since Superman is a fairly weak concept from my point of view :) I'd hate to see him become a cypher character (and I hate to say it, I wasn't encouraged from what I saw with that SUPPORT OUR TROOPS comic)

ds9
08-03-2005, 09:08 AM
:mistrust:
Ah well, either way, I'm happy the Sentry is back.. a great opportunity to explore a new character and how he reacts to the Marvel U.. I just dread how he'll be handled by others, since Superman is a fairly weak concept from my point of view :) I'd hate to see him become a cypher character (and I hate to say it, I wasn't encouraged from what I saw with that SUPPORT OUR TROOPS comic) :mistrust:

nihilance
08-03-2005, 11:59 AM
bumping off the 3rd page for the eventual onslaught of replies this afternoon

Gavin
08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
I read issue seven, and the whole bit with the Sentry did not jve with me at all. Too weird. Reminds me of post-modernism, weird for weird's sake.

DrMachine
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I only flipped through it during lunch, but I felt the Spiderwoman thing was pretty obvious...HOWEVER that doesn't mean I didn't like it, I really thought it was a great way to handle the wrecker, and I really enjoyed the way the rest of the team all recovered and took him down

good stuff...I agree with your review

Kirblar
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
You guys need to read She-Hulk. Comics exist in the Marvel Universe, and are considered historical records. It's bizarre. But "Paul Jenkins" in the Marvel U is the guy who wrote the Sentry's comic while everyone knew who he was. Now the comics seem to be the only record of him ever existing.

Smokinblues
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Aren't there rumours going round that...

... The Sentry is actually Thor?

if you count haseloff ramblings as rumors, then yes.

Shwicaz
08-03-2005, 12:07 PM
if you count haseloff ramblings as rumors, then yes.

maybe its

mastermind?

;-)

nihilance
08-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Oh and the tips of the hat to Runaways and Wolverine's solo title were nice to see.

Taxman
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
For some reason, The Sentry in the early page looked a lot like Yellow Jacket to me.

Also, what happened to Karnak?

Shwicaz
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Oh and the tips of the hat to Runaways and Wolverine's solo title were nice to see.

yeah, I know a lot of people were wondering why the wrecker got taken down by 'kids' in runaways, but tackled the avengers quite easily.

The mention of that, as well as the Hydra mention w/ Stark and Logan was nice.

its a small thing, but it was a nice touch.

Taxman
08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
if you count haseloff ramblings as rumors, then yes.It's not just Haselhoff.

nihilance
08-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Also, what happened to Karnak?
I believe he's had that "look" since the Jenkins/Lee mini.

Smokinblues
08-03-2005, 12:12 PM
It's not just Haselhoff.

shhh. it's more fun that way.

Smokinblues
08-03-2005, 12:13 PM
maybe its

mastermind?

;-)

that would explain it all!

Taxman
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I believe he's had that "look" since the Jenkins/Lee mini.Oh . . .

I don't like it.

DrMachine
08-03-2005, 12:16 PM
yeah, I know a lot of people were wondering why the wrecker got taken down by 'kids' in runaways, but tackled the avengers quite easily.

The mention of that, as well as the Hydra mention w/ Stark and Logan was nice.

its a small thing, but it was a nice touch.

I was wondering that too, all I can figure is that since then Asgard as been toasted, maybe all the magic is now concentrated into fewer "gods", and their derivatives....

yeah I'm a geek :surrend:

Shwicaz
08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey BriRedFern and who cares

use the search function.

THWIP!
08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
As Much as I loved the character moments with the team after the battle and the stuff between Logan and Tony I can see why Bendis added another issue. This brings up the whole thing about padding and shit, but you know what, thats how Bendis writes and he get these great character moments and I think thats great.

BriRedfern
08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Hey BriRedFern and who cares

use the search function.

I did. Not putting a space between your # and your 8 messed me up though....

Who Cares didn't even need the search function, my post was sitting right there...

Taxman
08-03-2005, 04:20 PM
I did. Not putting a space between your # and your 8 messed me up though....

Who Cares didn't even need the search function, my post was sitting right there...Search titles only "New Avengers."

I've never seen any evidence that who cares? cares.

Shannon Chenoweth
08-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Ok, I wasn't going to get my books today, but I had to read NA. :)

Anyway, I really loved it. Fun issue all around. The end with everyone outside of Robert's house was great, I love that panel.

RC

Andrew j
08-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Thought it was a good inbetween issue, pretty much ended the same place the last one did only on a bigger scale. Was kinda hoping that HULK was hiding out in the caves and in my opinion he's the only one who can clear stuff up for everybody but we'll se what happens.
Bendis going for his old Powers gag of making old comicstyle was fantastic and I laughed even without the swearing! Go figure.

MK2000
08-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I enjoyed it and am interested to see where this is headed.

It just occured to me: The Sentry's real name in mentioned in the top header, but they never said what his wife's name was, did they?

As for the Sentry-is-Thor theory... could that be the reason why Thor appears in the "comic flashback?"

And off the subject a bit, the ad at the end of the book gave me the urge to post this again:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/BBMK2000/7d13d58a.jpg

Shwicaz
08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
I enjoyed it and am interested to see where this is headed.

It just occured to me: The Sentry's real name in mentioned in the top header, but they never said what his wife's name was, did they?

As for the Sentry-is-Thor theory... could that be the reason why Thor appears in the "comic flashback?"

The Setry's wife's name is Linda. They said that in the last two issues, and in the mini IIRC.

As for the Thor appearance, The Sentry fought alongside Thor in the mini, so I don't buy it. (at least in the flashback issues)

MK2000
08-03-2005, 06:44 PM
The Setry's wife's name is Linda. They said that in the last two issues, and in the mini IIRC.

As for the Thor appearance, The Sentry fought alongside Thor in the mini, so I don't buy it. (at least in the flashback issues)

Actually, I wasn't talking about the SENTRY comic that came out five years ago or NA #7, I was talking about the comic shown in NA. Because as pointed out, if Jenkins' SENTRY series from 2000 was published in the MU, it'd have all the info about Spider-Man's ID, etc.

But yeah, if the 2000 series DID happen then the Thor = Sentry thing might not make sense.

Ryan Elliott
08-03-2005, 07:20 PM
The Sentry's wife's name is Lindy.

Which, is a big fucking coincidence.

nihilance
08-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Actually, I wasn't talking about the SENTRY comic that came out five years ago or NA #7, I was talking about the comic shown in NA. Because as pointed out, if Jenkins' SENTRY series from 2000 was published in the MU, it'd have all the info about Spider-Man's ID, etc.

But yeah, if the 2000 series DID happen then the Thor = Sentry thing might not make sense.
I mentioned that earlier in the thread. And whether or not the 2000 mini is counted in continuity, the issue today showed the Sentry and Thor together and Sentry even commenting on Thor having no cares.

Of course...it could be argued that the reason The Sentry disappeared for so many years was because he became Thor for those years and it wasn't until Ragnarok that he was able to return as The Sentry. The Void could even be Loki transformed as well...or being Sentry could be an elaborate mindgame that Loki plays on Thor to fuck with his head.

Maybe it's not so cut and dry.

Dermie
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
You guys need to read She-Hulk. Comics exist in the Marvel Universe, and are considered historical records.

Actually, that concept was around LONG before the SHE-HULK comic. It started way back in early vol.1 of Fantastic Four--the Marvel Comics company within the Marvel Universe publishes the actual adventures of the heroes, as reported to them (but obviously the comics in the MU aren't the *exact* same as the ones we read, since the MU writers don't know everyone's secret identities).
There was even an issue of FF where the Impossible Man invades the Marvel offices and pesters Stan Lee to do a comic book about him.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this issue...and the scene where Jessica tells the guys about her pheromones, and they all react to it was really funny...but I wish that situation had been allowed to play out a bit more first. I think we should have seen other little scenes with Spidey, Luke, Cap, etc lusting after Spider-Woman, and not really understanding why they're so attracted to her---that way the reveal here would have had a bit more impact.
This scene was still really funny, but I think there was some extra comedic potential that was wasted.

As for the end of the issue....I can understand why the FF and the X-Men are there--Reed's scientific expertise and Emma's telepathic skills may be of use here. But why are the Inhumans involved? Why do they care about this, and what can they contribute?

MK2000
08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Actually, that concept was around LONG before the SHE-HULK comic. It started way back in early vol.1 of Fantastic Four--the Marvel Comics company within the Marvel Universe publishes the actual adventures of the heroes, as reported to them (but obviously the comics in the MU aren't the *exact* same as the ones we read, since the MU writers don't know everyone's secret identities).
There was even an issue of FF where the Impossible Man invades the Marvel offices and pesters Stan Lee to do a comic book about him.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this issue...and the scene where Jessica tells the guys about her pheromones, and they all react to it was really funny...but I wish that situation had been allowed to play out a bit more first. I think we should have seen other little scenes with Spidey, Luke, Cap, etc lusting after Spider-Woman, and not really understanding why they're so attracted to her---that way the reveal here would have had a bit more impact.
This scene was still really funny, but I think there was some extra comedic potential that was wasted.

As for the end of the issue....I can understand why the FF and the X-Men are there--Reed's scientific expertise and Emma's telepathic skills may be of use here. But why are the Inhumans involved? Why do they care about this, and what can they contribute?

I was wondering that too, but since last issue showed the little club that had Reed, Namor, Dr. Strange, Tony, and Black Bolt, I guess since Bolt is part of that club he'd have to bring his Inhumans along.

Ryan Elliott
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Well wouldn't YOU bring almost every superpowered being with you if YOU were dealing with the most powerful person on the planet?

I know I would.

Dermie
08-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Well wouldn't YOU bring almost every superpowered being with you if YOU were dealing with the most powerful person on the planet?

I know I would.

But the Inhumans aren't superheroes. They don't generally get involved with things like this--they don't generally get involved with anything unless it impacts Attilan.

It would have made more sense to me if they had called in some of the old Avengers rather than calling in the Inhumans. :-?

BWC Boston
08-03-2005, 11:36 PM
But the Inhumans aren't superheroes. They don't generally get involved with things like this--they don't generally get involved with anything unless it impacts Attilan.

It would have made more sense to me if they had called in some of the old Avengers rather than calling in the Inhumans. :-?
They're buddies with the FF, and often babysit Franklin and Val. Reed's got a li'l portal in the Baxter Building that goes right to'em. He probably just had them run through it for some additional back-up.

Ryan Elliott
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM

Anything that directly threatens Earth is sooner or later bound to threaten the moon.

But Boston's makes more sense. Just backup.

dougmac
08-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Plus it was nice to see Tony address Thor being gone, something a lot of people complained about from Disassembled (the lack of mention, not the actual being gone)

ds9
08-04-2005, 04:10 AM
As Much as I loved the character moments with the team after the battle and the stuff between Logan and Tony I can see why Bendis added another issue. This brings up the whole thing about padding and shit, but you know what, thats how Bendis writes and he get these great character moments and I think thats great.In this case it worked but not always.

nihilance
08-04-2005, 04:32 AM
Anyway, I really enjoyed this issue...and the scene where Jessica tells the guys about her pheromones, and they all react to it was really funny...but I wish that situation had been allowed to play out a bit more first. I think we should have seen other little scenes with Spidey, Luke, Cap, etc lusting after Spider-Woman, and not really understanding why they're so attracted to her---that way the reveal here would have had a bit more impact. This scene was still really funny, but I think there was some extra comedic potential that was wasted.
This has been done before and a bit more realistically if you ask me. Starfox has a similar trait (not pheromones) where he can charm others into going his way or even falling for him. In an old Avengers run Wasp had been on his jock for several issues, and when she found out he had this power she got really pissed at him and wouldn't have anything to do with him anymore. Even though Starfox wasn't using his power on her (her attraction was natural) she was still pissed because she couldn't trust that her feelings were genuine, especially since he hadn't divulged the extent of his talents to her.

Logan gets close with his "You should have told us" thing...and I suppose guys might react differently than gals would in a situation like this.

ds9
08-04-2005, 05:00 AM
This has been done before and a bit more realistically if you ask me. Starfox has a similar trait (not pheromones) where he can charm others into going his way or even falling for him. In an old Avengers run Wasp had been on his jock for several issues, and when she found out he had this power she got really pissed at him and wouldn't have anything to do with him anymore. Even though Starfox wasn't using his power on her (her attraction was natural) she was still pissed because she couldn't trust that her feelings were genuine, especially since he hadn't divulged the extent of his talents to her.

Logan gets close with his "You should have told us" thing...and I suppose guys might react differently than gals would in a situation like this.Oh yeah I forgot about that story. The good old avenger days. I miss them.

anThONY_s
08-04-2005, 05:15 AM

Here's my take with the information we have right now:

There are comics that detail 616 heroes in the 616. These can be seen in She Hulk. These are written by writers in the 616. Hot damn do I hate that number. But anyway, they're not the comics that we read, per se. The ones in She Hulk are almost exact to the ones we've read because She Hulk signed off on them. They're "official" historical records of her, um, exploits.

But anyway, I believe that the comics that "Jenkins" wrote were from before the whole 2000 mini series incident, right? And if you read the mini, it only takes a couple of days to happen, and then everyone forgets again. SO it's not like there was time for "Jenkins" to write the 2000 mini-series comic in the 616 before it ended.

ALSO all the little flashbacks in the mini-series aren't glimpses into the 616 comic versions of the Sentry, they're just flashbacks with the art style of that time in comics.

So yeah, doesn't destroy the mini-series.

nihilance
08-04-2005, 05:18 AM
Here's my take with the information we have right now:

There are comics that detail 616 heroes in the 616. These can be seen in She Hulk. These are written by writers in the 616. Hot damn do I hate that number. But anyway, they're not the comics that we read, per se. The ones in She Hulk are almost exact to the ones we've read because She Hulk signed off on them. They're "official" historical records of her, um, exploits.

But anyway, I believe that the comics that "Jenkins" wrote were from before the whole 2000 mini series incident, right? And if you read the mini, it only takes a couple of days to happen, and then everyone forgets again. SO it's not like there was time for "Jenkins" to write the 2000 mini-series comic in the 616 before it ended.

ALSO all the little flashbacks in the mini-series aren't glimpses into the 616 comic versions of the Sentry, they're just flashbacks with the art style of that time in comics.

So yeah, doesn't destroy the mini-series.
Yeah...it's looking like Jenkins is supposed to be responsible for the "lost" issues that Stan Lee wrote and forgot or whatever and the 2000 mini doesn't exist within the 616.

Gene Reginato
08-04-2005, 05:43 AM

However, Black Bolt is probably the only hero who could beat the Sentry.

Ivan In Da Crypt
08-04-2005, 06:01 AM
anyone notice the coloring mistake on page 7 of Wolverines arm?

nihilance
08-04-2005, 06:02 AM
However, Black Bolt is probably the only hero who could beat the Sentry.
I don't know...seems like a telepath wouldn't have much problem...especially given his mental confusion.

Dusto
08-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Good issue. I like McNiven's pencils. I hope he stays with the title, as I'm not a Finch fan. But one criticism: the final splash page was a little silly. Especially Kitty's pose. And Beast sitting on top of Colossus.

Question about the Wrecker: doesn't he have some degree of mental control over his crowbar, or am I making that up? I thought he could will it to fly back to him.

I hope the Sentry is not Thor. I doubt it is, since Jenkins has another Sentry mini coming up. Also, if the original mini is not written by 616-Jenkins AND it didn't really happen, then what would it be? I think it had to have really happened within the 616. But I'm excited to see how this plays out.

PatrickA
08-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Good issue.

I though the Spider-Woman's phermones bit was both funny and the reason the team was having so many problems with the Wrecker. Wolverine mentioned we couldn't figure out why he was dizzy and the rest of them had similar reactions.

Balthazar
08-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Another really good issue. I loved the Spider-Woman reveal. That last scene was priceless. The Logan/ Stark stuff was very well done, actually giving motivation for thier allegience to the Avengers. I love the respect that Cap gets from everyone. He IS The Avengers. I would love to see Cage swinging that crowbar in the future too. Can't wait for the next issue to see where this all goes.

Oh and "The writer fainted" was classic.

08-04-2005, 07:00 AM
I wonder how Jenkins feels about being written fainting like some damsel in distress.

:grin:

Dusto
08-04-2005, 07:16 AM
I would love to see Cage swinging that crowbar in the future too.

Problem with that:

The Wrecker has established a mental link with his enchanted crowbar, enabling him to utilize it for a variety of effects, including storage of the mystic enchantment from which he gains his powers, mental domination of anyone who holds it, projection of an aura which can repel bullets

nihilance
08-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Problem with that:
Good thing he was caught off guard since Jessica and Cage both used it on him.

Dusto
08-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Good thing he was caught off guard since Jessica and Cage both used it on him.

true dat.

Brandon191
08-04-2005, 08:19 AM
I'm loving this arc. Steve McNiven is now my favourite artist in the business.

Did anyone else see Bendis' cameo in the book? :lol:

Opus Croakus
08-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Steve McNiven is now my favourite artist in the business.
I'm close to agreeing with you. His art is pretty darn fabulous. Heck, it was the ONLY thing I loved about Ultimate Secret.

Errk!
08-04-2005, 08:28 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet - I was just about to post it. :D

Brandon191
08-04-2005, 08:30 AM

I thought it was hilarious. I laughed out loud when I saw it. Good job McNiven. :D

Xander Boune
08-04-2005, 08:43 AM
I have a question regarding the end. Did Tony send over a new Quinjet? I remember last issue that the Wrecker tossed Cage into a wing and basically tore it in two, so I don't know how they're supposed to reach the Sentry's location in that thing.

Brandon191
08-04-2005, 08:50 AM
I have a question regarding the end. Did Tony send over a new Quinjet? I remember last issue that the Wrecker tossed Cage into a wing and basically tore it in two, so I don't know how they're supposed to reach the Sentry's location in that thing.

It looks like Shield's helicarrier.

nihilance
08-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I thought it was overkill to have it on the milk carton AND on the kid's shirt on the same page though.

Taxman
08-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Did anyone else see Bendis' cameo in the book? :lol:Gawd . . .

Brandon191
08-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Gawd . . .

What? :-?

Dreg
08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Probably my favorite issue of the entire series so far, if only because it actually has this group of Avengers acting as a team for once.

The pheremone reveal was a nice touch and probably explained why Wolverine and Spiderman suddenly had the approximate fighting expertise of jelly doughnuts in the series so far, and probably will continue to do so in the future.

Loved the Stark/Wolverine conversation because it also explained why Wolverine was such an uncharacteristically kill-happy asshole when it came to Wanda. Apparently, he knows that the Wanda situation was the whole reason he was brought on board, and probably had to justify his membership. I think they could have used the Stark/Wolverine in lieu of the far less intriguing Tony/Cap conversation in issue #6, though. It'll be interesting to see exactly what Wolverine was bribed with.

The Sentry part at the end just had me confused. It could have done with a dateline type of caption, like "later that day, in such and such a place..." because the NA went from beating up on Wrecker to appearing with the FF, X-Men, and company in the blink of an eye. I didn't know if it were reality bending or just the Sentry in a change of clothes a week later.

Also, the beginning of the comic had such an awesome retro feel, especially the 70's slang. And I don't think Thor appeared in that issue by accident. Either it was Bendis flipping off the people who speculated that Thor and the Sentry were one and the same, or perhaps a forshadowing of things to come.

Dermie
08-04-2005, 01:02 PM

Wasp wasn't actually pissed at him--she was just uncomfortable since she didn't know about it and, as you said, wasn't sure if she could trust her feelings. Once he explained that he wouldn't use his power on her that way--unless she asked--she got over it.

BriRedfern
08-04-2005, 01:07 PM

People thought it was Ultimate Nick Fury. Even though the guy was clearly white.

nihilance
08-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Wasp wasn't actually pissed at him--she was just uncomfortable since she didn't know about it and, as you said, wasn't sure if she could trust her feelings. Once he explained that he wouldn't use his power on her that way--unless she asked--she got over it.
She stopped pursueing any sort of romance with him though because she couldn't trust that what she was feeling wasn't his powers though. It's not like they reconciled over it...she got pissed and told him off and then it was never addressed again. At least that's how I remember it from when I read it in grade school.

greg donovan
08-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm loving this arc. Steve McNiven is now my favourite artist in the business.

bendis is missing, along w/patch the cat.

Shwicaz
08-04-2005, 02:10 PM
People thought it was Ultimate Nick Fury. Even though the guy was clearly white.

I thought it was Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin.

:Oops:

Wha Huh?

Dermie
08-04-2005, 10:23 PM
She stopped pursueing any sort of romance with him though because she couldn't trust that what she was feeling wasn't his powers though. It's not like they reconciled over it...she got pissed and told him off and then it was never addressed again. At least that's how I remember it from when I read it in grade school.

I was actually just re-reading these issues the other day.
Wasp was never pursuing a romance with him--she flirted with him, but Wasp flirts with everyone; she wasn't actually looking to pursue something (Starfox and She-Hulk, on the other hand, did have a fling). Wasp started an affair with Paladin around this same time.

Starfox and Wasp did resolve the situation in #256. She mentioned her concerns (was wasn't pissed off; just a bit uneasy), and he explained how his powers work, and that he would never use it against a friend...unless they wanted him to. Jan seemed to accept this, and there were no further problems between them after that.

Hypester23
08-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it felt like I was missing a page--was it explained what Tony "gave" Logan to join the Avengers, or was that left unsaid for now in this issue?

Taxman
08-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it felt like I was missing a page--was it explained what Tony "gave" Logan to join the Avengers, or was that left unsaid for now in this issue?My impression was that we would probably never learn this.

nny
08-13-2005, 12:17 AM

I just got around to reading this and I didn't even notice that, but it did bother me that the art went to the edge of the page. Also, how old is Jenkins supposed to be that he wrote a comic that old looking?

Chingòn
08-13-2005, 12:24 AM
The line up is cool to me but would love to see a black woman on the team
how perfectly racist of you.
in fact, i want a latino captain america. WE ARE TAKING OVER GODDAMNIT.

Mike Haseloff
08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
It's not just Haselhoff.The Sentry was obviously never Thor, and I have never seriously suggested as much. Rather, I mocked and parodied it.

Yes, I did just search for my name. :D