PDA

View Full Version : Milligan's X-Men

Dusto
07-27-2005, 12:33 PM
A while ago I found myself in a drug store with no reading material and I knew I was going to be sitting around for a while, so I browsed the comic section. There was an issue of X-Men written by Peter Milligan of X-Force/X-Statix fame. The issue was the first in a story arch about "Golgotha." I bought the issue and read it, and it was horrible. I loved X-Force/X-Statix, but this issue of X-Men was one of the most poorly written comics I've read since the early 90's. Does it get any better? What was the story here? Is he still writing the title? What's up?

X arseface X
07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
He's still writing it, and it hasn't gotten any better. Pick up just about ANYTHING else he's written and you'll probably be very pleased. Some people just weren't meant to write the X-men, I guess.

Dusto
07-27-2005, 12:48 PM
That's too bad. It would be nice to have a kick-ass X-title, and I thought he would be the man to do it. Whedon's okay, but... Oh well.

Shwicaz
07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Actually, I have read the last three issues of the latest arc.

I was appalled, because I thought something was not right and it made no sense. Issue 3 showed why, and I might have to come back next month to see how this plays out.

I am referring to the FOXX storyline.

Dusto
07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Actually, I have read the last three issues of the latest arc.

I was appalled, because I thought something was not right and it made no sense. Issue 3 showed why, and I might have to come back next month to see how this plays out.

I am referring to the FOXX storyline.
Are those the only three issues you've read? Are you saying you thought the first two issues were bad until you read the third and now you think all three were good now that you've read it again knowing what you know about Wanda?

Bervda
07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
I thought that the Foxx storyline may go somewhere, but I'm already doubting it. I love X-Force/Statix, but Milligan on regular X-Men just ain't doing it for me. Hell, I've been enjoying Claremont more than Milligan, and that's just sad.

Ben
07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I think it's been great so far. I love how he writes Emma Frost. And the Iceman-Polaris-Havok triangle is so amusingly childish.

Shwicaz
07-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Are those the only three issues you've read? Are you saying you thought the first two issues were bad until you read the third and now you think all three were good now that you've read it again knowing what you know about Wanda?

I dropped all X-books during reload. Only recently read the 11 issues of Astonishing, and the first three issues of the latest arc.

SPOILERS ABOUT THE ARC, INCLUDING TODAY'S ISSUE DEVELOPMENTS

I thought it was weird that a 'lolita'-like student of the school was throwing herself at Gambit. It didn't seem right, and I thought 'has this title sunk so low?'. But then, it turned out that 'this teen girl' was actually Mystique!! She was trying to pull her daughter, Rogue, away from Gambit, because she doesn't like or trust him. She figured if she could get Gambit to sleep with her, it would prove Gambit a cad.

If it sounds like something right out of Dallas or Dynasty, then you may be right, but it totally was fun and refreshing. And to add insult to injury, after she is exposed and pretty much admits she would have slept with her daughter's boyfriend just to prove him a jerk, she asks to join the X-Men!!!!

This may prove tough to do, especially how she ended her ongoing series. I hope those issues are addressed. As long as Mystique is on board, I will keep my eye on this title.

james michael
07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
you read astonishing ron?

and yes, milligan is good, just not here...

Joe Henderson
07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
I dropped all X-books during reload. Only recently read the 11 issues of Astonishing, and the first three issues of the latest arc.

SPOILERS ABOUT THE ARC, INCLUDING TODAY'S ISSUE DEVELOPMENTS

I thought it was weird that a 'lolita'-like student of the school was throwing herself at Gambit. It didn't seem right, and I thought 'has this title sunk so low?'. But then, it turned out that 'this teen girl' was actually Mystique!! She was trying to pull her daughter, Rogue, away from Gambit, because she doesn't like or trust him. She figured if she could get Gambit to sleep with her, it would prove Gambit a cad.

If it sounds like something right out of Dallas or Dynasty, then you may be right, but it totally was fun and refreshing. And to add insult to injury, after she is exposed and pretty much admits she would have slept with her daughter's boyfriend just to prove him a jerk, she asks to join the X-Men!!!!

This may prove tough to do, especially how she ended her ongoing series. I hope those issues are addressed. As long as Mystique is on board, I will keep my eye on this title.

Milligan, to me, is doing the exact same thing that Austen did: great ideas, bad execution. The whole Foxx reveal I found to be stupid, and the inter-character drama does not feel natural at all.

bburrill
07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Have you read his run on Elektra from ~1996? She becomes a ballet dancer. It was shit.

Love his X-Statix though. Supposed Shade the Changing Man was good.

anthony the ghost
07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
A while ago I found myself in a drug store with no reading material and I knew I was going to be sitting around for a while, so I browsed the comic section. There was an issue of X-Men written by Peter Milligan of X-Force/X-Statix fame. The issue was the first in a story arch about "Golgotha." I bought the issue and read it, and it was horrible. I loved X-Force/X-Statix, but this issue of X-Men was one of the most poorly written comics I've read since the early 90's. Does it get any better? What was the story here? Is he still writing the title? What's up?

yea, its a stonehenge-esque mystery.

Shwicaz
07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Have you read his run on Elektra from ~1996? She becomes a ballet dancer. It was shit.

OMG! I was just talking about that run with a customer the other day.
I still have the single issues.

:Oops: