PDA

View Full Version : The Powers Scriptbook! (spoiler, I guess)

RunawayMichael
03-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Since I was having my little writing crisis, I pulled out my Powers scriptbook, see if it gave me any ideas.

I just want to do a little plug real quick. This thing is amazing. I got it at a con a few years back and Oeming signed it for me (even drew a Walker head on it :) ). I have been working on comics a lot lately. So I pulled out the book to give it a looksee. This book is A. A great reference tool. B. A really fun read. C. A great little part in the back with Oeming sketches and D. Inspiring. In the introduction Bendis tells you, the reader, to write. Everytime I read it, I'm super inspired.

God, I love that bald man.

The Roman Candle
03-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Why is it that everytime a writer reads a book that tells them to "write," they act as if Jesus and Buddha got him on a conference call and told him the meaning of life? Don't get me wrong, I love the powers scriptbook... but you never hear artists saying "I picked up (so-and-so)'s (drawing book) and it said I should 'draw'! BRILLIANT!"

Patton
03-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Why is it that everytime a writer reads a book that tells them to "write," they act as if Jesus and Buddha got him on a conference call and told him the meaning of life? Don't get me wrong, I love the powers scriptbook... but you never hear artists saying "I picked up (so-and-so)'s (drawing book) and it said I should 'draw'! BRILLIANT!" :p

AAlgar
03-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Why is it that everytime a writer reads a book that tells them to "write," they act as if Jesus and Buddha got him on a conference call and told him the meaning of life? Don't get me wrong, I love the powers scriptbook... but you never hear artists saying "I picked up (so-and-so)'s (drawing book) and it said I should 'draw'! BRILLIANT!"

It seems like such obvious advice, but I know A LOT of people who claim to be writers and haven't written one damn thing. Or they've written ONE damn thing and coast on that.

A lot of people don't realize that being a writer generally means writing every day, like you're going to a day job and clocking hours.

RunawayMichael
03-27-2005, 01:26 PM

Was I acting like that? I'm sorry, I didn't THINK I was.

I'm a silly person, so you never know...

I just thought it was cool how he was encouraging.

Patton
03-27-2005, 01:30 PM

I just thought it was cool how he was encouraging.Not really--but a lot of people do think that advice hich Bendis gives a lot--is genius. A LOT of people.

The Roman Candle
03-27-2005, 01:39 PM

I just thought it was cool how he was encouraging.

I know, it was a very small part of your post, and it would not have mattered if others had not said such things before you. You were just the (un)lucky recipient of my misplaced wrath. Congratulations.

RunawayMichael
03-27-2005, 01:42 PM
I know, it was a very small part of your post, and it would not have mattered if others had not said such things before you. You were just the (un)lucky recipient of my misplaced wrath. Congratulations.

I feel like I won a contest. I never win anything! :)

exray
03-27-2005, 10:24 PM

I'm not really an artist, but I'll say it anyway: I got J. Scott Campbell's sketchbook and it inspired me to draw.

There you go. Someone said it.

:D

JPKakinuma
03-27-2005, 10:45 PM
There's a Sandman trade with Gaiman's script in the back that I found very useful.

Also, the 'Nuff Said issues from a couple years back have scripts in the back.

I love comic scripts, just like I love movie commentary.