PDA

View Full Version : So, Why Don't YOU Like Wizard?

jordan michael
07-26-2005, 10:57 PM
personally, i dislike how it is so focused on superheroes. that isn't comics, that is superheroes. i dislike how they focus on certain people as "superstars" of comics. if you ask me, there is no single bigger superstar in comics than craig thompson. i read good-bye, chunky rice and blankets. jesus christ. it is so exciting to be living at a time where these comics are coming out, and not looking back on great comics that did come out, and wishing you were there when it first came out. wishing you were on the ground floor with it.

The Human Target
07-26-2005, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't say I dislike them. They focus us mainstream big 2 comicbook shop comics. I agree it gets old, but I know a lot of people who enjoy it. And it used to be really fucking funny, though it is much less so now. I havethe issue where they let Doctor Doom be in charge and it still makes me laugh like a little girl.

Angel of Distraction
07-26-2005, 11:02 PM
They are fanboy morons. It kills me that they are basically the voice and image of fanboys to outsiders.

Houdinimachine
07-26-2005, 11:03 PM
I hate their whoring of the CGC shit.

Christian Beranek
07-26-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't dislike them, but I'm hoping they bring back Wizard Edge on a regular basis--in the regular magazine, not in a random movie special.

I know a lot of guys over at Wizard and they are some great people. I also had the chance to tour their offices once and they have their act together.

One request: Please reschedule the dates for Wizard World Atlanta. You'll make a lot of new fans if you do and keep many of the people that are on the fence right now...

anthony the ghost
07-26-2005, 11:05 PM
open it, flip to a page, thats why i hate it.

CraigM
07-26-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't dislike them, but I'm hoping they bring back Wizard Edge on a regular basis--in the regular magazine, not in a random movie special.

I know a lot of guys over at Wizard and they are some great people. I also had the chance to tour their offices once and they have their act together.

One request: Please reschedule the dates for Wizard World Atlanta. You'll make a lot of new fans if you do and keep many of the people that are on the fence right now...

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Craig

BWC Boston
07-26-2005, 11:13 PM
The magazine is physically ugly. The humor hasn't been funny since I turned 16. Every few months there's an excuse found for a multipage spread of cartoon titties, and I find that creepy. The staff appear to have no interest in or knowledge of what makes comics work, or what makes comics an art form. It was created in the 90's speculation boom, and has never progressed from that mentality. Far more interested in creating "hype" "heat" and "buzz" for shit that will sell anyway than actually promoting anything of quality or diversity that might otherwise go overlooked. There's page after narcissistic page of inside jokes about, and photos of, WIZARD magazine. Heavily Marvel-biased. Questionable business practices include, but are not limited to: the current con fiasco; pushing comics from WIZARD-owned Black Bull press; labelling as "hot" back issues that happen to be overstocked in WIZARD-owned comic warehouses. There is no insight or information contained within. Hey, look another toy masturbating! It represents everything I am embarassed of in comic book fandom.

Chingòn
07-26-2005, 11:14 PM
i don't like their buisness tactics. they seem to have no regard as to how they are negatively affecting the comics industry as a whole. they make exclusive deals with marvel so that they will print their characters on more covers if marvel makes most of their big announcements at chicago. they care more about what sells than what helps.

The Human Target
07-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Hey, look another toy masturbating! It represents everything I am embarassed of in comic book fandom.

I was with you until this.

Jokes about the Hulk jerking it will always make me laugh.

Always.

BWC Boston
07-26-2005, 11:19 PM
If you won't listen to me...

And keep this in mind, if you lie down with dogs, you get fleas. If you lie down with tapeworms, you get [holds up a copy of Wizard] tapeworms [laughter]. I feel that’s over Hollywood. That’s the only reason publishers kow-tow over this rag, this bible written by Satan. Hollywood executives are notoriously poor readers. And they really are. Why do you think they hire people called "readers?" [Laughter]. Duh. Readers. Those are wanna be writers who provide coverage and that’s a term you’ve gotta love. Coverage. I mean we’re talking about scripts, not the damned Gulf War. These envious wanna-be writers provide coverage for executives who don’t read much. And get this, they’re proud of not reading. One TV guy I met, full of hyperactive disdain, he sniped at me, "I don’t read comic books. I read scripts." You’re lost pal.

They don’t read comic books, they read Wizard Magazine! Or at least the publishers think they do. Either way the result is the same. For all the disgust you’ll hear about Wizard and its shoddy practices when you talk to publishers and marketing folks—and I have yet to hear a single good word from anybody about this thing that ought to come on a roll—for all of that, the publishers kow-tow. Even though this tree killer here regularly cheapens and poisons our field. Aesthetically and ethically, they grovel.

Even though this monthly vulgarity [rips off front cover] reinforces all the prejudice people hold about comics [rips out pages] they cry to all the world that we’re as cheap and stupid and trashy as they think we are, we sponsor this assault. We pay for the goddamn privilege. But really, when will we finally get around to flushing this thing, this load of crap, once and for all [tosses torn magazine into a trash can onstage. Applause].

Houdinimachine
07-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Wizard is so fucking crooked. Some legit magazine needs to take them down.

The Human Target
07-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Eh. I read the new Batman. Miller may just be full of shit.

Angel of Distraction
07-26-2005, 11:23 PM
If you won't listen to me...

:shock:

:heart:

*bows*

Angel of Distraction
07-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Eh. I read the new Batman. Miller may just be full of shit.

You're dead to me.:nonono2:

anthony the ghost
07-26-2005, 11:24 PM
:shock:

:heart:

*bows*

oh man, for a second i thought that said *blows* . i had my finger on the change sig button hahaha.

The Human Target
07-26-2005, 11:25 PM
You're dead to me.:nonono2:

:)

Come on, I agree with a lot of what the man said in his little speech. But then he goes and whores out with that ..... "comic."

Fat Randy
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Who needs a Magazine about comic news when the internet has so many websites with up to the minute updates on the comic biz

Angel of Distraction
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
:)

Come on, I agree with a lot of what the man said in his little speech. But then he goes and whores out with that ..... "comic."

Nonsense. It wasn't great but I'm willing to give the man responsible for Sin City, Batman: year one and the most classic run of Daredevil ever a little more than one issue.

Angel of Distraction
07-26-2005, 11:28 PM
oh man, for a second i thought that said *blows* . i had my finger on the change sig button hahaha.

That too.

The Human Target
07-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Nonsense. It wasn't great but I'm willing to give the man responsible for Sin City, Batman: year one and the most classic run of Daredevil ever a little more than one issue.

I never said he was a bad writer.

I said he was totally full of shit for judging Wizard and then writing that giant 90s fanboy stereotype of a comic.

Haborym
07-26-2005, 11:34 PM
It is what it is and they know their audience. I don't understand why it gets so much hate. If you don't like the superhero shit buy the fucking Comics Journal and stop your bellyaching. It isn't as if Wizard is the ONLY comics mag out there. The Comic Buyers Guide is a pretty decent publication too.

Wizard is a bathroom mag for people who like capes.

jordan michael
07-26-2005, 11:45 PM
It is what it is and they know their audience. I don't understand why it gets so much hate. If you don't like the superhero shit buy the fucking Comics Journal and stop your bellyaching. It isn't as if Wizard is the ONLY comics mag out there. The Comic Buyers Guide is a pretty decent publication too.

yes, but whether you or they like it or not they are the leading mainstream newsource for comics, and they should fucking present themselves like it. i dislike how it is run, but not he actually magazine. they have some good articles, but they need to get their shit together.

The Human Target
07-26-2005, 11:47 PM
yes, but whether you or they like it or not they are the leading mainstream newsource for comics, and they should fucking present themselves like it. i dislike how it is run, but not he actually magazine. they have some good articles, but they need to get their shit together.

But.... its not like anyone who doesn't read comics ever look at it.

They are allowed to run their business as they want.

Angel of Distraction
07-26-2005, 11:50 PM

No, it is a bathroom mag for stupid people who like scapes. I like capes. But I am nothing like the tools at Wizard.

DigiEmissary
07-26-2005, 11:51 PM
I think if this board got together, we could put out a better comic book magazine than Wizard.

and that's saying something, because we are some crazy mofos.

Angel of Distraction
07-26-2005, 11:53 PM
I think if this board got together, we could put out a better comic book magazine than Wizard.

The problem with Wizard is they aren't crazy enough. They are shills to the big two. I'd say they lost their souls, but they never really had them.

Agent Desmond
07-26-2005, 11:56 PM
First I'm going to start off that A: Wizard has pimped Blankets a few times in the past. And that B: Craig Thompson is not a superstar. I love him, and he's a great guy, and I like his works. BUT talent doesn't make someone a "Superstar". It just makes him talented and underrated. Calling Craig Thompson a superstar is like saying Crispin Glover is a superstar. And Wizard focuses on the same people over and over because they are who readers like. Just look at the comics that are in the top 20 and then look at who Wizard focuses on.

As for why I don't like Wizard?
I have the internet, all the news and reports are outdated by the time the magazine hits the stands.
They used to be a priceguide, now they have about twenty pages of priceguide with sidebars over them.
The jokes are recycled and tiresome.
The price is outrageous. Playboy costs the same amount as Wizard.
The interviews are not that great. It's stuff we already know or the questions are just silly. They should take a page out of Playboy's book for how to give a good interview.
They do need to focus more on indy stuff. Even the "Trendy" and popular indy stuff like Goodbye Chunky Rice, Hate, and Eightball doesn't get more than a few pages.
Dump all their merchandise snipits in Toyfare.

That's just for starters.

innocentboy
07-27-2005, 12:19 AM
can't say i don't like it, but i can say i'm broke as fuck and don't wanna risk $5+ on something that's polybagged and can't be flipped thorugh before purchase

God bless,
innocentboy
http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/isaiah3.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc1.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc2.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc3.jpghttp://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery//songofsongs/misc4.jpg
my visual art: http://www.innocentboyproductions.com (http://www.innocentboyproductions.com) last updated, July 23, 2005
Song of Songs the Comic Book: http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com (http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com) last updated July 23, 2005
"COMIC BOOK MASTER" - TorontoHipHop.com
nosebleed, nosebleed, rain, nosebleed, nosebleed, yawn

goatfog
07-27-2005, 03:22 AM
I've been reading Wizard for some years now, but I recently dropped it. The comic shop I go to just stopped ordering copies of it, since some subscribers didn't pick it up. As a result, I was out of my monthly Wizard fix, which didn't bother me at all. The magazine has some enjoyable articles from time to time, but that's about it. I always skipped the immature columns by Gareb Shamus, and the toyfare shit near the end of the mag made me embarrased. That, and the things mentioned by the other posters here, made me realise I didn't need to spend my hard earned cash on this mag.

Read Comics Journal instead! :)

Mr. E!
07-27-2005, 03:58 AM

And don't forget Robocop 2& 3, Sin City Hell and Back, Martha Washington Saves the Universe, and DK2 :evil:

Shwicaz
07-27-2005, 04:03 AM
They are fanboy morons. It kills me that they are basically the voice and image of fanboys to outsiders.

I am assuming that you mean 'outsiders' as in 'non comic readers'.

So, why would an 'outsider' bother to pick up such a magazine?

Mike Storniolo
07-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Because it's $6 more that I can spend on actual comics each month...

Angel of Distraction
07-27-2005, 07:06 AM
And don't forget Robocop 2& 3, Sin City Hell and Back, Martha Washington Saves the Universe, and DK2 :evil:

DK2 sucked ass. Sorry, but it's true. I know you don't want to hear it like this.

Angel of Distraction
07-27-2005, 07:08 AM
I am assuming that you mean 'outsiders' as in 'non comic readers'.

So, why would an 'outsider' bother to pick up such a magazine?

In case they were thinking of becoming an insider. Then they'd drop it in the trash and never think twice.

GabeLogan
07-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Love the publication, hate their customer service.

Angel of Distraction
07-27-2005, 07:12 AM
Hate the publication, hate their customer service.

QT

Angel of Distraction
07-27-2005, 07:13 AM
I can't beleive no one has mentioned that they gave best comic movie to X2 over Spider-Man 2 because X2 had more action. Sign of a destructive twelve-year-old who never grew up.

Shwicaz
07-27-2005, 07:25 AM
In case they were thinking of becoming an insider. Then they'd drop it in the trash and never think twice.

I find Wizard no more offensive than Entertainment Weekly.

Both magazines try to tell you what is good. Within days of an issue of either magazine coming out, everyone is talking about it.

I look at EW now in disgust, because I can't believe how far off the mark it is, in regards to my tastes 89% of the time.

My tastes have changed over the years, and these mags havent'. They still publish the same articles. Only the names change every few months or so.

GabeLogan
07-27-2005, 07:31 AM
QT
I didn't say that :no:

alexlannin
07-27-2005, 07:32 AM
I find the internet makes Wizard redundant for the most part. I don't really get much out of reading it.

Jerome Gibbons
07-27-2005, 07:52 AM
I enjoy it.

NickT
07-27-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't dislike them. I don't buy the magazine, but when I did I find it a light decent read. Few good interviews, few decent articles, that's good toilet reading IMO.

As for the only talking of the big two, IMO that's because they're giving the readers what they want. If the book became more about Indie titles, sales would drop.

Ben
07-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Dollar-for-dollar, CBG is a better buy.

St.-
07-27-2005, 08:04 AM
personally, i dislike how it is so focused on superheroes. that isn't comics, that is superheroes. i dislike how they focus on certain people as "superstars" of comics. if you ask me, there is no single bigger superstar in comics than craig thompson. i read good-bye, chunky rice and blankets. jesus christ. it is so exciting to be living at a time where these comics are coming out, and not looking back on great comics that did come out, and wishing you were there when it first came out. wishing you were on the ground floor with it.

:roll:

I like a lot of what wizard does and i dislike a lot stuff. One of things i like alot are the sketches or pencils of upcoming books like alex rosses stuff. Dislikes interviews are always so soon in projects development they can never really talk about anything so it's usally just a waste of space. Still I dislike the comics jouurnal and wizard about the same.

Patton
07-27-2005, 08:07 AM
I've been reading Wizard for some years now, but I recently dropped it. The comic shop I go to just stopped ordering copies of it, since some subscribers didn't pick it up. As a result, I was out of my monthly Wizard fix, which didn't bother me at all. The magazine has some enjoyable articles from time to time, but that's about it. I always skipped the immature columns by Gareb Shamus, and the toyfare shit near the end of the mag made me embarrased. That, and the things mentioned by the other posters here, made me realise I didn't need to spend my hard earned cash on this mag.

Read Comics Journal instead! :)
what Gereb Shamus columns?

The letter from the editor?

Patton
07-27-2005, 08:09 AM
I can't beleive no one has mentioned that they gave best comic movie to X2 over Spider-Man 2 because X2 had more action. Sign of a destructive twelve-year-old who never grew up.
X2 is better than Spider-man 2 in my (and a lot of other people's) opinion.

Maybe not because of action though.

Jerome Gibbons
07-27-2005, 08:20 AM
X2 IS better than Spider-Man 2. Maybe not by much, but I do believe it's the better movie of the two.

sleep
07-27-2005, 08:55 AM
I have the internet, all the news and reports are outdated by the time the magazine hits the stands.
They used to be a priceguide, now they have about twenty pages of priceguide with sidebars over them.
The interviews are not that great. It's stuff we already know or the questions are just silly. They should take a page out of Playboy's book for how to give a good interview.
They do need to focus more on indy stuff. Even the "Trendy" and popular indy stuff like Goodbye Chunky Rice, Hate, and Eightball doesn't get more than a few pages.

Well put.

I wish that Wizard were less about hype and more about comic books. Conversely, The Comics Journal strikes me as too pretentious. I'd love something in between, maybe in the same mold as The Believer.

jordan michael
07-27-2005, 09:36 AM
But.... its not like anyone who doesn't read comics ever look at it.

They are allowed to run their business as they want.

and i'm allowed to complain.

jordan michael
07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
First I'm going to start off that A: Wizard has pimped Blankets a few times in the past. And that B: Craig Thompson is not a superstar. I love him, and he's a great guy, and I like his works. BUT talent doesn't make someone a "Superstar". It just makes him talented and underrated. Calling Craig Thompson a superstar is like saying Crispin Glover is a superstar. And Wizard focuses on the same people over and over because they are who readers like. Just look at the comics that are in the top 20 and then look at who Wizard focuses on.

As for why I don't like Wizard?

no, craig thompson is a superstar because people wait feverously for his next project.

RebootedCorpse
07-27-2005, 09:43 AM
For me, Wizard will always be linked with the great bubble and purge of the 1990s when half the comic stores in the country closed after people realized that no one will pay $50 for Wildcats #1 no matter what the Wizard "price guide" lists it at.

RøcketFrøg
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
I dont like any of them. I don't like Dumbledore or Harry. I don't like Merlin.

I guess the Pinball Wizard was okay though.

Dreg
07-27-2005, 10:13 AM
I'd like them more if they actually reviewed comics instead of creating a section that explains why absolutely every comic on the shelves is cool. It's like the Special Olympics for superhero books.

"Good hustle, Wolverine: Enemy of the State! You tried your best and that's all that matters. Ooh, you're a fan of ninjas, aren't you? Which turtle is your favorite? You get a ninja medal for best ninjas! How do you like that?"

MIKE D
07-27-2005, 10:21 AM

It would be funnier, that's for sure.

BGPu
07-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I'd like them more if they actually reviewed comics instead of creating a section that explains why absolutely every comic on the shelves is cool. It's like the Special Olympics for superhero books.

That's one of my problems with the magazine. Every month they do their picks, and every comic they preview it preceeded by "Why It's Cool." They could preview more comics, or have more space for features if they would cut that, since it's usually nothing more than "Geoff Johns makes the Flash cool," or "Bendis make Spider-Man cool."

I generally like the magazine. I recognize that it's fluffy super hero hyping. I liked it much better when the features were longer than 4 pages, when they had long interviews with creators and actually asked them tough questions.

I don't like how they've turned into the "Set reports from comic book movies" magazine over the past few years.

Too many in-jokes, but I think you get that with any sort of hobby magazine.

And personally, I haven't been too fonf of anything Frank Miller says since the last time he was a guest of honor at WizardWorld Chicago. The last time, I was 1 of the lucky 100 Frank Miller panel attendees who got to go to a special meet & greet signing session with him. A session he effectively blew off by showing up late and taking extended smoking breaks. Not that I had my heart set on meeting Frank Miller and getting his autograph or anything. I just remember the experience as a big metaphorical middle finger.

Shannon Chenoweth
07-27-2005, 11:22 AM
You know what's cool? How much people bitch about Wizard magazine. Yeah, that's great. Go out and make something better if you think you can. Sure, the magazine isn't perfect, not by any means. And, if you don't like it, go out and pick up Comic Book Buyers Guide or the Comics Journal or LoFi. Each mag has its great points and bad. But, complaining about something really doesn't do anything, does it? Your wallet is what is going to make a difference. Don't buy Wizard if you don't dig it. It's the same line of thinking that goes with a comic book series if you don't like it. Let your wallet do the talking.

RC

Bill?
07-27-2005, 11:22 AM
no, craig thompson is a superstar because people wait feverously for his next project.

not nearly enough people.
I mean, any way you cut, the audience for 592 page epics about fundamentalist Christians in rural america isnt bound to be that huge or fervent.
I think it's sold like 20,000- 30,000 copies. most of those to mainstream bookstores. not where your average Wizard reader is shopping for comics.

Shannon Chenoweth
07-27-2005, 11:25 AM

Go for it. Really. I know I sound sarcastic, but if you guys want something better, go out and do it. Millarworld is doing something awesome, the Bendis Board could too, if enough people really wanted to. I would definitely check it out if it actually happened.

RC

RebootedCorpse
07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
You know what's cool? How much people bitch about Wizard magazine. Yeah, that's great. Go out and make something better if you think you can. Sure, the magazine isn't perfect, not by any means. And, if you don't like it, go out and pick up Comic Book Buyers Guide or the Comics Journal or LoFi. Each mag has its great points and bad. But, complaining about something really doesn't do anything, does it? Your wallet is what is going to make a difference. Don't buy Wizard if you don't dig it. It's the same line of thinking that goes with a comic book series if you don't like it. Let your wallet do the talking.

RC
Without complaining the Internet would dry up and disappear.

jordan michael
07-27-2005, 11:46 AM
don't you mena crack in half?

Shannon Chenoweth
07-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Without complaining the Internet would dry up and disappear.

Nah, I've got some chapstick that will help with that. You'd be amazed at what a stick of that stuff can do. :)

RC

Ben Rosen
07-27-2005, 12:07 PM
its good for what it does--covering marvel and dc. i have very little hatred for the magazine, surprisingly.

BWC Boston
07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
I haven't bought that turd of a magazine since I was 17. My wallet and I can speak in unison.

And just so everyone knows; I have to reeveluate my opinion of people who buy Wizard. Since all the news and interviews contained within are readily available on the internets (and normally in a better written, more informative form), I can only assume you're buying it for the price guide, the pooping toys, or the cartoon titties. And all three of those get my snob juice a-flowing.

Ben Rosen
07-27-2005, 12:14 PM
i actually don't know why I buy it. the occasional preview? that's not a good reason. i should stop.

Eddy Newell
07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
The magazine is physically ugly. The humor hasn't been funny since I turned 16. Every few months there's an excuse found for a multipage spread of cartoon titties, and I find that creepy. The staff appear to have no interest in or knowledge of what makes comics work, or what makes comics an art form. It was created in the 90's speculation boom, and has never progressed from that mentality. Far more interested in creating "hype" "heat" and "buzz" for shit that will sell anyway than actually promoting anything of quality or diversity that might otherwise go overlooked. There's page after narcissistic page of inside jokes about, and photos of, WIZARD magazine. Heavily Marvel-biased. Questionable business practices include, but are not limited to: the current con fiasco; pushing comics from WIZARD-owned Black Bull press; labelling as "hot" back issues that happen to be overstocked in WIZARD-owned comic warehouses. There is no insight or information contained within. Hey, look another toy masturbating! It represents everything I am embarassed of in comic book fandom.

You are a fucking genius!

Hear, hear!

jordan michael
07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
i actually don't know why I buy it. the occasional preview? that's not a good reason. i should stop.

they do have good articles, like the director's commentary, but it is just the way it is run that bothers me.

Agent Desmond
07-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Like I said before, the internet is one of the reasons I don't like Wizard. Every news bit is outdated. And everything that is revealed in interviews, you can find in other interviews with newsarama or comicbook resources.

If they are going to charge me $6 for a magazine there should be things worth buying it for. Such as go back to having a priceguide. Or having ten page interviews with the superstars. Or profile up and coming people (and showing just the art does not count). More sneak peaks, and as slacker said more Director's Commentary.

NickT
07-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Like I said before, the internet is one of the reasons I don't like Wizard. Every news bit is outdated.
What's ironic though is so often Wizard is outdated because people pinch their news from....Wizard :)

batmanbooyah
07-27-2005, 05:31 PM

RC

people did do that. they didn't like it, and showed their distain with their wallet by dropping their subscription. now someone brings it up, and they're saying why.

kinda like someone going into...i don't know...wal-mart and getting agitated, leaving, then going to the board and complaining about it? ;-)

Patton
07-27-2005, 06:15 PM
What's ironic though is so often Wizard is outdated because people pinch their news from....Wizard :)
it's like Newsarama is obsolete because you can get your info here.

It has to come from somewhere people.

DrMachine
07-27-2005, 07:09 PM
fuck wizard

BlueNote27
07-28-2005, 07:23 AM
A few months before X-2 came out, I kind of "fell" back into comics, which I hadn't read since I was 9 or so.

I picked up an issue of Wizard, the double sized summer preview ish, and I devoured it, read it tons of times. I was introduced to the current state of the industry through Wizard, and learned the big players, such as Bendis, Millar, Oeming and Vaughan. For this, I guess I owe them a "Thank You."

However, I picked up the next couple of issues, and then it struck me... Every single issue is the same. Exactly. Nothing changes. Anything "big," I had already learned months ago on the Bendis Board, or Newsarama or something, and they never actually "said" anything. They'd talk about how "Great" something was or how "Hot," but they never had the balls to say, "This sucks, don't buy it." When I felt like I had six of the same issue, I dropped it, and I hate myself because it took me that long.

I hate Wizard because it's more repetitive than "Hulk Smash!"

batmanbooyah
07-28-2005, 05:14 PM
because of this thread i'm tempted to go buy a subscription to wizard. weird ain't it?

BriRedfern
07-28-2005, 05:19 PM

I think it is fairly amazing that you think that? How do they represent fanboys to "Outsiders" You think "Outsiders" read Wizard?

BriRedfern
07-28-2005, 05:22 PM

RC

Hows the view from up there?

Saul Colt
07-28-2005, 05:42 PM
i dont like them cause they never mention me :(

saul

Christian Beranek
07-28-2005, 05:43 PM
i dont like them cause they never mention me :(

saul

They did in Wizard Edge...

sleep
07-28-2005, 05:56 PM
I think it is fairly amazing that you think that? How do they represent fanboys to "Outsiders" You think "Outsiders" read Wizard?
I can't speak for the original poster who said this, but at bookstores Wizard is often the only comic book magazine in the newsstand/magazine section. I think the garishness of its covers alone speaks volumes to "outsiders" about the target audience, but if someone browsing the magazine section spots Wizard and wants to see what's going on in the world of comics, what they see will definitely be filtered through an A.D.D. fanboy lens.