PDA

View Full Version : The New History Thread

Angel of Distraction
07-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Trying something new. Post a picture having something to do with a historical topic NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO MODERN POP CULTURE and then yak about it for a few lines. I'm going to start with something from my hometown.
http://www.planetcavy.com/sitebuilder/images/McPike_antiqued-294x218.jpg
What we have here is the McPike Mansion in Alton, Illinois, listed in the National Registry of Historic Places. Alton is known as one of the most Haunted small towns in the country, and this building is the most storied of them all.
This is a look at the mansion as it appeared in 1869, built for Henry Guest McPike.
http://members.tripod.com/~mcpike/house1.jpg
And this is the Mansion as it looks today. It is on it's last legs. Makes me wonder where the ghosts of the family purported to haunt it will go once it falls down.
http://www.hauntedstudio.com/McPike2.jpg
A painting of the mansion. This painting, and the building itself, remind me strongly of Homecoming, a short story from Ray Bradbury's The October Country.
http://pages.prodigy.net/ghostfish/_uimages/mcporb.jpg
The basement of McPike Mansion. Many basements in Alton were stops on the underground railroad before and during the civil war, thanks to bordering on Missouri, a slave state. It was here that Elijah P. Lovejoy, an abolotionist newspaper publisher, became the first white man to die over slavery in the U.S., shot to death by an angry mob. The publicity over the subsequent aquittal of both Lovejoy's defenders and the members of the mob almost doomed Alton to becoming a ghost town.

To be continued...

icemanx62
07-25-2005, 10:06 PM
The basement looks like the last scene in the Blair Witch Project.

Angel of Distraction
07-25-2005, 10:07 PM
The basement looks like the last scene in the Blair Witch Project.

I wouldn't know.

See? When I start a joke thread, people go to it and participate. But when I start a serious thread, nothin' but crickets chirping. And yet people wonder why I usually stick to joking.

Patrick J
07-25-2005, 10:14 PM
This topic is not the sexy.

Talk about Tecumseh and the Prophet, such is infintely more sexy.

Angel of Distraction
07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
This topic is not the sexy.

Talk about Tecumseh and the Prophet, such is infintely more sexy.

I could talk about hypocrites Johnny Z and Mike Hasselhoff. I'm sure there's pages of ground to cover there.

Patrick J
07-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I could talk about hypocrites Johnny Z and Mike Hasselhoff. I'm sure there's pages of ground to cover there.

JonnyZ and Hasselhoff are not Tecumseh and The Prophet.

Angel of Distraction
07-25-2005, 10:18 PM
JonnyZ and Hasselhoff are not Tecumseh and The Prophet.

Who are they anyway?

Patrick J
07-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Who are they anyway?

Tecumseh was the leader of the Shawnee. Made the first real concerted effort to unify multiple Native American groups to rally against white invaders. Managed to form some alliances. Was defeated at the Battle of Tippecanoe by William Henry Harrison. Later allied with the British in The War of 1812.

His brother was a blind man, simply called "The Prophet."

William Tecumseh Sherman, the great General of the Civil War was named after him. Sherman was originally named Tecumseh Sherman, but the Minister would not baptize him for his was not a proper Christian name and his father randomly picked the name William so he could be baptized, but he was always called Tecumseh.

Angel of Distraction
07-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Tecumseh was the leader of the Shawnee. Made the first real concerted effort to unify multiple Native American groups to rally against white invaders. Managed to form some alliances. Was defeated at the Battle of Tippecanoe by William Henry Harrison. Later allied with the British in The War of 1812.

His brother was a blind man, simply called "The Prophet."

William Tecumseh Sherman, the great General of the Civil War was named after him. Sherman was originally named Tecumseh Sherman, but the Minister would not baptize him for his was not a proper Christian name and his father randomly picked the name William so he could be baptized, but he was always called Tecumseh.

I'd beat the hell out of the preacher.

Patrick J
07-25-2005, 10:32 PM
I'd beat the hell out of the preacher.

:roll:

It was 1820. What'd you expect?

Angel of Distraction
07-25-2005, 10:34 PM
:roll:

It was 1820. What'd you expect?

True. Doesn't make it right. You know, that sounds like pride to me. Did anyone ever tell the preacher you go to Hell for that?

Patrick J
07-25-2005, 10:44 PM
What would you say if I told you that Thomas Jefferson and George Washington regularly hired men to go into Indian held lands and beat up Indians, forcing them to actually fight back and then using the fact they actually fought back as a means to justify fighting with and taking the lands of the Indian people?

'Cause they did.

Angel of Distraction
07-25-2005, 10:45 PM
What would you say if I told you that Thomas Jefferson and George Washington regularly hired men to go into Indian held lands and beat up Indians, forcing them to actually fight back and then using the fact they actually fought back as a means to justify fighting with and taking the lands of the Indian people?

'Cause they did.

I'd say "What else is new?"

Travis M. Bierwagen
07-25-2005, 11:22 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/ghostfish/_uimages/mcporb.jpg

That looks like the basement of the creepy-ass house I grew up in.
Brrrrrr... *shudder* :scared:

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-25-2005, 11:40 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Ac.parthenon5.jpg

The Parthenon (Greek: Παρθενών ) is the most famous surviving building of Ancient Greece and one of the most famous buildings in the world. The building has stood atop the Acropolis of Athens for nearly 2,500 years and was built to give thanks to Athena, the city's patron goddess, for the salvation of Athens and Greece in the Persian Wars. The building was officially called the Temple of Athena the Virgin, and its popular name derives from the Greek word παρθένος (parthenos), a virgin.

The Parthenon replaced an older temple which had been destroyed by the Persians. As well as being a temple, the Parthenon was used as a treasury, and was the location of the treasury of the Delian League, which later became the Athenian Empire.