PDA

View Full Version : Sweet! It Only Took 3 Days To Get The New Harry Potter Audio Book At NYC Library

Kensington
07-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Fellow Potter cheapskates take note: in my experience, you can get the audio book *much* more quickly only reserve, and the audio productions so far have all been terrific.

MIKE D
07-19-2005, 06:21 AM
Who reads it?

gwyllgi
07-19-2005, 06:21 AM
Never heard the audio books.

Hm. How much do they run?

Shane W
07-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Ugh, I was listening to the audio versionw while I was waiting on the book to arrive. The guy's "female" voice is the most irritating thing ever.

Harreee

Fourthman
07-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Who reads it?
I believe it's 70's Disney star Jim Dale. He was signing at the Union Square B&N on Saturday.

Kensington
07-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Ugh, I was listening to the audio versionw while I was waiting on the book to arrive. The guy's "female" voice is the most irritating thing ever.

Harreee
I *really* like his female voices. He puts a great deal of effort and creativity into distinguishing all of the characters. I find the audio books far more entertaining than the movies.

Shane W
07-19-2005, 07:09 AM
I *really* like his female voices. He puts a great deal of effort and creativity into distinguishing all of the characters. I find the audio books far more entertaining than the movies.

Really? I can't stand his Hermione voice. It's too "Frenchish"

Kensington
07-19-2005, 07:11 AM
I believe it's 70's Disney star Jim Dale. He was signing at the Union Square B&N on Saturday.
I honestly believe the guy deserves a grammy award for his performances. He's the Peter Jackson of J.K. Rowling's world.

Kensington
07-19-2005, 07:13 AM
Really? I can't stand his Hermione voice. It's too "Frenchish"
I think it really fits her character. It's bookish, bossy, a little shrill at times, but also vulnerable and endearing. I find his Dobby voice far more irritating, but I still give him marks for crafting such a distinctive array of voices. The guy puts his soul into these performances.

Kensington
07-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Never heard the audio books.

Hm. How much do they run?
They're free and unabridged, if you get them from the library, which is really easy to do.;)

I also see that most of them are available used from Amazon for really cheap prices. "Order of the Phoenix" can be had for $7!

If you mean how long are they, I think "Phoenix" was the longest at about twenty hours. They're unabridged, so it's as long as it has to be.

I love them. At this point I don't think I'd actually enjoy the books nearly as much without Jim Dale reading them.

DigiEmissary
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
I'd rather read the book in 6 hours than spend 19 listening to it...