PDA

View Full Version : Brainscans to find pedophiles? [Warning for possibly triggering content]

zemo
04-17-2012, 08:19 AM
A quite interesting article came out recently, here's the summary: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/69/2/187

You can't read the full thing for free, and the only newspaper article I could find is in German. But the summary is basically: They show you pictures of naked people with a red dot on them. If the naked person sexually arouses you, you will take a little bit longer to find the red dot. If you try to cheat, it will actually take a lot longer. While you do this, they scan your brain, and sometimes you lust centre flares up.

Now, you may wonder why this is important, except for doing national mandatory brain scans to find the bad apples, which isn't feasible. But the article I read also pointed out, and this was complete news to me, that there is something called replacement pedophilia. Which is basically people that are so awkward around the adult sexual partners they are interested in, that they turn themselves on children out of frustration. Those people have to receive a therapy that is different from that of true pedophiles, which sometimes even can only be helped by medicamentation.

If you want to try English articles about these findings, try googling for Ponseti (the guy whose name is on that study) and pedophilia.

Soemthing else that got mentioned in the article is the amount of people that fall off the wagon, as to say, even after therapy. In a study conducted by a certain Klaus M. Beier in 1995, they found that it is actually important to what type of person you are predominantly attracted. They found that pedophiles that are male and attracted to female children will commit their crime again in about 25% of the cases, those that are attracted to boys in about 50%. That DOES not allow for any connection between pedophiles and real homosexuals whatsoever, I am adamant to point out. Those replacement "pedophiles" commit again in far less than 25% of all cases. So, again, it's important to find out how they tick.

This is a scientific/social discussion. I wouldn't bring this up in any other place than here, knowing that this will be discussed in an objective and rational manner. Don't siappoint me, please :3

ZimMan2
04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
A quite interesting article came out recently, here's the summary: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/69/2/187

You can't read the full thing for free, and the only newspaper article I could find is in German. But the summary is basically: They show you pictures of naked people with a red dot on them. If the naked person sexually arouses you, you will take a little bit longer to find the red dot. If you try to cheat, it will actually take a lot longer.

How exactly would you cheat something like this?

zemo
04-17-2012, 10:15 AM
How exactly would you cheat something like this?

Concentrate very hard on finding the dot, which will result in a longer time to actually find it, because you are constantly tripping over your actualy reflex trying to reign it in.

CutterMike
04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Boy, you're fucked if you're red colorblind, aren't you...?

zemo
04-17-2012, 10:39 AM

I assume there's a contingency for that :P

Chris Jones
04-17-2012, 10:50 AM

"Good God, this man is insatiable!"

Shurato2099
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Interesting test, but I'd think that it was ultimately infeasible for anything other than a pre-trial psych-exam to determine if the subject was a true pedophile who can't really be treated v. a replacement pedophile that theoretically could. That could have some notable impact in sentencing and future legislation.