PDA

View Full Version : Has Bendis jumped the shark?

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Now that I know what this means, I'm curious if anyone thinks so. Has he gone significantly downhill in the past several years? What do you think?

Oh, and since i apparently only start threads for three reasons here is some

I did not start this thread

1. to piss people off
2. to attention whore
3. To raise my post count

thank you.

V-Man
07-12-2005, 09:05 PM
No, he did not. He's constantly raising the bar, being innovative, and doing definitive runs on every book he touches.

Taxman
07-12-2005, 09:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Shark.gif

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
07-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I like Bendis books alot. I dropped Ultimate Spidey because I jus didn't care any more, but I'm sure I'll catch up eventually.

DigiEmissary

:lol:

Adrian B AWESOME
Bendis! :jackoff:

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:09 PM

That doesn't seem like what he posted to me. Maybe I read it wrong.

*checks*

Nope, you must have made it up.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-12-2005, 09:10 PM

*checks*

I'm pretty sure that's how it came across to the other side, thanks.

But it doesn't matter, he's got BENDIS' face over Darth Vader! I mean, how cool is THAT?!?!11

xyzzy
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM

1. to piss people off
2. to attention whore

thank you.

Really? 'Cause it kind of seems like all three. Maybe not the last one.

DeleriumTremens
Anyone who could read New Avengers, Daredevil and Powers and think hes jumped the shark, must have completely different tastes than me. While I miss some of the straight crime stuff like Jinx, and Torso, he's knocking it out of the park every issue, and with his workload thats an accomplishment.

Angel of Distraction
Actually he does seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the man.

Busman
Now that I know what this means, I'm curious if anyone thinks so. Has he gone significantly downhill in the past several years? What do you think?

Oh, and since i apparently only start threads for three reasons here is some

1. to piss people off
2. to attention whore

thank you.

So, why did you start it? Could you have not found language that wasn't borderline insulting to the creator who's name is atop this board?

I believe you when you say you didn't do it for those 3 reasons. Maybe you just don't know how to pose questions in non-inflammatory ways.

Angel of Distraction
Anyone who could read New Avengers, Daredevil and Powers and think hes jumped the shark, must have completely different tastes than me. While I miss some of the straight crime stuff like Jinx, and Torso, he's knocking it out of the park every issue, and with his workload thats an accomplishment.

New Avengers does nothing for me. It got the axe.

Flonk
07-12-2005, 09:13 PM

*checks*

No, that's how it came across. I like Bendis' stuff (obviously) but that was a major JO post.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:13 PM
So, why did you start it? Could you have not found language that wasn't borderline insulting to the creator who's name is atop this board?

I believe you when you say you didn't do it for those 3 reasons. Maybe you just don't know how to pose questions in non-inflammatory ways.

Beleive it or not, I just learned what jump the shark meant and when I thought of this question I wanted to use it. I didn't know what it meant before today.

DeleriumTremens
07-12-2005, 09:14 PM
New Avengers does nothing for me. It got the axe.
Like I said different tastes

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Really? 'Cause it kind of seems like all three. Maybe not the last one.

Good for you. I'm not getting into a thing since I have a serious question. Think of me what you will.

Hypester23
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
The guy still has me buying his books, and right now House of M, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Daredevil are at the top of their game.

Persevering Guy
No. He's just stretching out into different types of books. Of course somethings he writes aren't going to suite everyone. For example, I love his work on DD. But I just can't get into Avengers. It's not Bendis fault. From day one, I was not into the concept of Avengers. I've never liked any Avengers (except seeing them get killed in Dissassembled, that's what you get for taking on the New Mutants, bitches!), so I don't think Bendis is writing a bad story, he's just using a theme and characters that don't interest me. I don't care for action and not much for plot (though the plot in DD is addictive). I like character, in this is what I love about USM.

Busman
Beleive it or not, I just learned what jump the shark meant and when I thought of this question I wanted to use it. I didn't know what it meant before today.

I gotcha. I can understand that: using a new phrase you learned.

It's got a pretty demeaning tone to it, though.

That's all I'm saying.

Angel of Distraction
Like I said different tastes

I wanted to pick up Lullaby and Strange Girl and needed money. You should try a couple of those out. I'm not big on the team concept but I gave NA one story to wow me, which is lenient considering what comics cost, and it didn't.

I also am not digging Powers. Maybe it was better before Marvel.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:17 PM
I gotcha. I can understand that: using a new phrase you learned.

It's got a pretty demeaning tone to it, though.

That's all I'm saying.

"Has Bendis started sucking?" sounded worse. ;)

Taxman
I loved that "Bednis has jumped the shark" thread that we had back on Image. That was great fun.

Flonk

If you think that New Avengers is as good as Powers of Daredevil, I want whatever drugs you have.

Again, not that New Avengers is bad, but....

Busman
07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Good for you. I'm not getting into a thing since I have a serious question. Think of me what you will.

I'm not trying to harp here, really...

This is what I mean.

If you really had a serious question your thread title would have been something more along the lines of:

Bendis: Is his quality suffering as of late?

And then posted YOUR opinion in the first post.

As it is now, it just seems like a dig at a public figure, one who posts here, which seems pretty lame.

Does that make sense?

xyzzy

Just saying, if you don't want to be perceived that way, you should take more care with the threads that you start.

Angel of Distraction
No. He's just stretching out into different types of books. Of course somethings he writes aren't going to suite everyone. For example, I love his work on DD. But I just can't get into Avengers. It's not Bendis fault. From day one, I was not into the concept of Avengers. I've never liked any Avengers (except seeing them get killed in Dissassembled, that's what you get for taking on the New Mutants, bitches!), so I don't think Bendis is writing a bad story, he's just using a theme and characters that don't interest me. I don't care for action and not much for plot (though the plot in DD is addictive). I like character, in this is what I love about USM.

I will be humping Bendis's leg for USM and DD even if all his other stuff falls out of favor with me.

Have I said too much?

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Just saying, if you don't want to be perceived that way, you should take more care with the threads that you start.

I don't take the board too seriously. Plenty of other people do that in very similar ways and haven't gotten that reputation. It seemed unfair that people singled me out to tear a new one into.

End of story.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm not trying to harp here, really...

This is what I mean.

If you really had a serious question your thread title would have been something more along the lines of:

Bendis: Is his quality suffering as of late?

And then posted YOUR opinion in the first post.

As it is now, it just seems like a dig at a public figure, one who posts here, which seems pretty lame.

Does that make sense?

Makes sense but it wasn't my intention.

07-12-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't take the board too seriously. Plenty of other people do that in very similar ways and haven't gotten that reputation. It seemed unfair that people singled me out to tear a new one into.

End of story.

You shouldn't end sentences with prepositions.

Mike Haseloff
07-12-2005, 09:21 PM
No, but David Mack definitely will the first chance he gets.

And I think he'll succeed.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I loved that "Bednis has jumped the shark" thread that we had back on Image. That was great fun.

I didn't know about this but I am now justified. *sneers in your general direction*

:)

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:22 PM
You shouldn't end sentences with prepositions.

You shouldn't end names with single letters. :mistrust:

07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
You shouldn't end names with single letters. :mistrust:

Says who?

xyzzy
07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I didn't know about this but I am now justified. *sneers in your general direction*

:)

I wouldn't brag, since that thread was started by some random troll, as I recall.

Taxman
07-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Someone could start a "Has The Lemming Jumped the Shark?" thread, but that would be pointless. Everybody already know the answer to that one.

DeleriumTremens
07-12-2005, 09:24 PM
If you think that New Avengers is as good as Powers of Daredevil, I want whatever drugs you have.

Again, not that New Avengers is bad, but....
Yhere's no accounting for taste, but I think all of those deserve mention because of how they each excel in their own genre, NA has the big budget blockbuster feel down pat. It comes out on top of all the big group books, for my $3.00. [or 2.25 in the case of NA]

King of Mars
07-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Nope.

http://www.mediasharx.net/images/reviews/comics/marvel/Daredevil/Daredevil_71.jpg

Mike Haseloff
07-12-2005, 09:26 PM

Again, not that New Avengers is bad, but....I attribute the weight of New Avengers practically being Marvel's 'heavy home run hitter' book to being a big part of Marvel's decline when compared to the powerhouse of DC.

New Avengers is such a light and fluffy read.

Angel of Distraction
Someone could start a "Has The Lemming Jumped the Shark?" thread, but that would be pointless. Everybody already know the answer to that one.

The best part was learning that acting goofy earns you hatred from people you were always nice to. I love the internet.

BENDIS!
as i said the first time a thread like this started, which was when i started sam and twitch btw, no joke...

i informed the board i jumped the shark way before any of you knew my name. around 1986. so, this is all a moot point.

stop padding your post count and get a better board name... yours truly sucks denny's balls.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Nope.

http://www.mediasharx.net/images/reviews/comics/marvel/Daredevil/Daredevil_71.jpg

:heart:

But Powers=:burned:

Taxman
07-12-2005, 09:28 PM
stop padding your post count and get a better board name... yours truly sucks denny's balls.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mike Haseloff
07-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Has Bendis humped the shark?

Shannon Chenoweth
07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
as i said the first time a thread like this started, which was when i started sam and twitch btw, no joke...

i informed the board i jumped the shark way before any of you knew my name. around 1986. so, this is all a moot point.

RC

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:30 PM

I hate to challenge you, boss man, but I am doing nothing of the sort. I like my Scroogian name.

Denny's balls...ugh.

If people wanna take this as me being a jerk, I don't think I've ever been a jerk here without apologizing and I have a legit question. I hear a lot of people on here slam all your books and I wonder why they stick around if they don't even like one thing you write.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dude...that guy's board name is bendis, look who's talkin'. ;)

I'm going to have a different name in the morning, aren't I?

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey how is BMB's online indicator always blue? Just curious.

Taxman
07-12-2005, 09:32 PM
If people wanna take this as me being a jerk, I don't think I've ever been a jerk here without apologizing and I have a legit question. I hear a lot of people on here slam all your books and I wonder why they stick around if they don't even like one thing you write.

Yeah, and you posed the question with such tact and finesse too.

xyzzy
07-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I hate to challenge you, boss man, but I am doing nothing of the sort. I like my Scroogian name.

Denny's balls...ugh.

Look at this thread:

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=4963&page=1&pp=20 (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=4963&page=1&pp=20)

to see how this topic is brought up in a manner to encourage discussion.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-12-2005, 09:37 PM
i usually place it around 1999

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Look at this thread:

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=4963&page=1&pp=20 (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=4963&page=1&pp=20)

to see how this topic is brought up in a manner to encourage discussion.

I coulda done that and you still woulda been on my ass. It's a joke. Notice I don't think the answer is yes.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i usually place it around 1999

See, this is how I COULD have been about it. :-x

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-12-2005, 09:40 PM
See, this is how I COULD have been about it. :-x
which was around when he was writting Sam & Twitch

Movie Maker
07-12-2005, 09:41 PM
just because i tell you what jump the shark means, doesnt mean you can just go using it like this :mad:

CraigM
07-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey how is BMB's online indicator always blue? Just curious.

Because he's invisible.

Craig

xyzzy
07-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I coulda done that and you still woulda been on my ass. It's a joke. Notice I don't think the answer is yes.

See, that's where you're wrong. But if you don't understand the difference between those two posts, then you're a lost cause.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:43 PM
just because i tell you what jump the shark means, doesnt mean you can just go using it like this :mad:

I love how my question is being ignored because of the use of a phrase most people use as a joke. Somehow I'm the only one here who has it taken as a serious insult.

07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Dude, drop the martyr act. It's why you annoy alot of people.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
See, that's where you're wrong. But if you don't understand the difference between those two posts, then you're a lost cause.

Please tell me...within the body of my post, what is there that could lead you to beleive I am trying to cause trouble?

Mike Haseloff
07-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Please tell me...within the body of my post, what is there that could lead you to beleive I am trying to cause trouble?Guitly by reason of spazzicity.

Angel of Distraction
07-12-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm leaving the thread to die. I didn't mean anything by it. Really. And I've never meant to insult anyone on here. Your choice whether you all want to beleive that.

xyzzy
07-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Please tell me...within the body of my post, what is there that could lead you to beleive I am trying to cause trouble?

That it's a poll and that you don't include your own opinion.

Flonk
07-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I attribute the weight of New Avengers practically being Marvel's 'heavy home run hitter' book to being a big part of Marvel's decline when compared to the powerhouse of DC.

New Avengers is such a light and fluffy read.

Yeah. If Bendis did a character based book with Spidey, Wolverine, Cap, ect, I's probably be all over it. But then it wouldn't be an Avengers book, I guess. Goddamn comic book Kobiashi Maru.

Flonk
07-12-2005, 09:53 PM

Denny's Balls might be the greatest Board Name ever.

07-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Kobiashi Maru.

I hate that I know that I means, and simultaneously love it.

Mike Haseloff
07-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Yeah. If Bendis did a character based book with Spidey, Wolverine, Cap, ect, I's probably be all over it. But then it wouldn't be an Avengers book, I guess. Goddamn comic book Kobiashi Maru.Eh... maybe as Bendis settles in, things might pick up.

Love DD and Powers, but I was pretty shocked by how disappointing I found New Avengers. Like... really shocked. :?

Flonk
07-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I hate that I know that I means, and simultaneously love it.

:mrgreen:

Flonk
07-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Eh... maybe as Bendis settles in, things might pick up.

Love DD and Powers, but I was pretty shocked by how disappointing I found New Avengers. Like... really shocked. :?

Nah. I like New Avengers. I just don't think it's THAT good.

It's simmilar to how I feel about Family Guy or Napoleon Dynamite. I'd probably like it more if people were not constantly telling me how awesome it is.

King of Mars
07-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm going to have a different name in the morning, aren't I?I hope it's "The Lemmy with the Large Moles". :)

http://media.fi.jippii.com/mesta/musakuvat/lemmy%20kilimister%20ruisrock.jpg

Your Pal, Carl
07-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Nope.

I want to paint the front of my house with that cover.

Mike Haseloff
07-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Nah. I like New Avengers. I just don't think it's THAT good.

It's simmilar to how I feel about Family Guy or Napoleon Dynamite. I'd probably like it more if people were not constantly telling me how awesome it is.Heh... well, I feel similarly about Family Guy as to how I feel about New Avengers.

Only, I think New Avengers has merit and potential.
I think Family Guy is just plain pathetic. Light and fluffy Simpsons, without any real high points...

Don't know about Napoleon Dynamite.
Haven't given it a shot.

UltimateQuintessa
07-12-2005, 10:43 PM
1. This thread is so last summer.

2. I think Bendis "answered" his critics with the now classic USM storyline "Jump the Shark"

3. This is just a complete rude thing to post on da man's own message board.

V-Man
07-13-2005, 06:23 AM
I'm an ass who cant have fun and wants to shoot himself.

Thats too bad.

Shepherd
07-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Not at all. I mean, he's had the bad issue or two here and there, but overall, I think he's better now than he's ever been.

R

Boris the Blade
07-13-2005, 07:06 AM
No, but David Mack definitely will the first chance he gets.

And I think he'll succeed.
Not only will he jump the shark, but he'll be holding Mandy Amano up while he does it, and he'll do two backflips.

PoWerSurge
07-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Gail Simone brought up a great point one time, in discussing comics "jumping the shark".

Mainstream comics primarily live within a complete fantasy realm. In a fantasy concept, there really isn't a shark to jump. There is just pushing the concepts and considerations of the characters at hand.

But it's all relative, right? With HoM and New Avengers, Bendis is taking old characters and exploring new aspects of them, which helps to refine and sometimes redefine the character.

Now, redefining a character is a dangerous place to tread (see Sins Past), but for the most part it leads to good stuff.

DaGetHighKnight
07-13-2005, 07:43 AM
I take this dude off my ignore list for one day and this is what i get? Im glad I did though, Bendis's post was worth the hurt it took to read the thread...

back to ingnore! cheers.

Boris the Blade
07-13-2005, 07:52 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ebenmergui/bendissed.jpg

Taxman
07-13-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm leaving the thread to die.

This may have been bad for you, but I don't think this is really worth killing yourself over.

TIP
07-13-2005, 07:56 AM
(muffled laughter)

Denny's Balls

(muffled laughter)

T

joeAR
07-13-2005, 07:58 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ebenmergui/bendissed.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Gail Simone brought up a great point one time, in discussing comics "jumping the shark".

Mainstream comics primarily live within a complete fantasy realm. In a fantasy concept, there really isn't a shark to jump. There is just pushing the concepts and considerations of the characters at hand.

But it's all relative, right? With HoM and New Avengers, Bendis is taking old characters and exploring new aspects of them, which helps to refine and sometimes redefine the character.

Now, redefining a character is a dangerous place to tread (see Sins Past), but for the most part it leads to good stuff.

Okay, I'm back since this won't die but I'll just ignore the people who've decided I'm a villain for making jokes.

These are all good points. A writer going sour doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. I liked Avengers Disassembled (and considering the board reaction to that story, that oughta be enough to convince that the title is a joke) but obviously most people didn't. New Avengers has been better but group books just aren't my cup of tea. It has nothing to do with the writing, I just need something really different, like YA or Runaways, or something that takes old concepts for a completely new spin, like Astonishing, before I get hooked. NA felt like the stars of the Marvel U put on a pretty typical team. It was well done, it just wasn't for me.

And Powers...I don't know why I'm not digging Powers. It's hard to put my finger on. I can say right off the bat that Deena is annoying as all get-out. But that's only a small part of the reason.

I guess that part of liking a book is just chemistry between the reader and the creators, and Powers doesn't have it with me for some reason.

joeAR
07-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Okay, I'm back since this won't die but I'll just ignore the people who've decided I'm a villain for making jokes.

These are all good points. A writer going sour doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. I liked Avengers Disassembled (and considering the board reaction to that story, that oughta be enough to convince that the title is a joke) but obviously most people didn't. New Avengers has been better but group books just aren't my cup of tea. It has nothing to do with the writing, I just need something really different, like YA or Runaways, or something that takes old concepts for a completely new spin, like Astonishing, before I get hooked. NA felt like the stars of the Marvel U put on a pretty typical team. It was well done, it just wasn't for me.

And Powers...I don't know why I'm not digging Powers. It's hard to put my finger on. I can say right off the bat that Deena is annoying as all get-out. But that's only a small part of the reason.

I guess that part of liking a book is just chemistry between the reader and the creators, and Powers doesn't have it with me for some reason.

I loved Avengers Dissasembled as well(you and I are alone on this board when it comes to that story). Powers is my favorite Bendis book largely due to Deena and Walker. I love both of those characters.

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 08:10 AM
I loved Avengers Dissasembled as well(you and I are alone on this board when it comes to that story). Powers is my favorite Bendis book largely due to Deena and Walker. I love both of those characters.

I have never read the Image or previous stuff. Should I?

I will note again that you will have to murder me to make me stop buying USM and DD while he is writing them.

Boris the Blade
07-13-2005, 08:11 AM

I will note again that you will have to murder me to make me stop buying USM and DD while he is writing them.
You only started reading Powers with Volume 2?

You haven't read issues 1-37 of the Image stuff?

Taxman
07-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I have never read the Image or previous stuff.

You haven't read Powers?

joeAR

You get a better understanding of both Walker and Deena and you get to see everything that they've been through so you'll have a better appreciation for the Icon volume.

Taxman

A surprising reaction.

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 08:14 AM

No. I didn't know where to jump in and I didn't have the $$$ to catch up.

Boris the Blade
07-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Egads! GET THEE TO A COMIC STORE!

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Egads! GET THEE TO A COMIC STORE!

:no:

I have a lot of other things to spend money on before I buy Powers trades.

Taxman
07-13-2005, 08:17 AM

It's true then, they don't have libraries in Iowa.

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 08:19 AM
It's true then, they don't have libraries in Iowa.

Not ones with Powers trades.

Boris the Blade
07-13-2005, 08:19 AM
:no:

I have a lot of other things to spend money on before I buy Powers trades.
What's pretty cool about my life is I can spend 20 bucks on a trade every now and then and still have money to do other stuff. :)

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 08:22 AM
What's pretty cool about my life is I can spend 20 bucks on a trade every now and then and still have money to do other stuff. :)

I can't anymore. :sad:

You make me cry.

Balthazar
07-13-2005, 08:26 AM
http://www.digitaldesperado.com/BendisBoard/BendisShark.gif

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 08:28 AM
http://www.digitaldesperado.com/BendisBoard/BendisShark.gif

ds9
07-13-2005, 09:03 AM

End of story.Fuck em post what you want. You did give three choices and noone had to read your thread and participate. If Bendis doesnt like the thread he will post a reply to it. The man is not a punk in anyway.

ds9
07-13-2005, 09:04 AM
I coulda done that and you still woulda been on my ass. It's a joke. Notice I don't think the answer is yes.Oh your suppose to kiss his ass first than post so that they wont get mad at you. :mistrust:

artimoff
07-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Oh your suppose to kiss his ass first than post so that they wont get mad at you. :mistrust:

Bendis is a firm hand shake kinda guy for me. Ass kissing goes to Moore, J. Hernandez & Morrison.

ds9
07-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Bendis is a firm hand shake kinda guy for me. Ass kissing goes to Moore, J. Hernandez & Morrison.No I know Bendis doesnt like the ass kissing but some on here think that to be a true comic lover you need to like everything he does and you dont. There are stories he writes that you can love or hate and theres no crime comitted for doing either.

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 04:55 PM
No I know Bendis doesnt like the ass kissing but some on here think that to be a true comic lover you need to like everything he does and you dont. There are stories he writes that you can love or hate and theres no crime comitted for doing either.

I read three pages of NA 7 and I'll wait for the trade if anything. #12 will be my last Powers. Everything else is still good though I question what impact House of M will have. But that doesn't seem like something that is entirely up to Bendis.

moonspider
07-13-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.lucasmthomas.com/graphics/icons/uploaded/fixes/games_16bit_mariojumping.gif

Taxman
07-13-2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.lucasmthomas.com/graphics/icons/uploaded/fixes/games_16bit_mariojumping.gif

moonspider
07-13-2005, 05:00 PM

and with that....this thread has become cool!

PoWerSurge
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I liked Avengers Disassembled (and considering the board reaction to that story, that oughta be enough to convince that the title is a joke) but obviously most people didn't.

Most people? Or most people on message boards?? Cause there's a big difference, and I don't even think most people on message boards hated it. I think he caught a lot of flack for killing Hawkeye, but the overall story got mixed reviews on the boards.

The fact that NA sales are still strong after Disassembled tells me that there are a LOT of people that approve of the way Bendis is going, or at least willing to continue giving him the benefit of the doubt. Money talks louder than Message Board fan boys

PS: I had a lot of trouble with Powers too, then I picked up Who Killed Retro Girl, read it, went on to the next trade, etc. Now I'm hooked.

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Most people? Or most people on message boards?? Cause there's a big difference, and I don't even think most people on message boards hated it. I think he caught a lot of flack for killing Hawkeye, but the overall story got mixed reviews on the boards.

The fact that NA sales are still strong after Disassembled tells me that there are a LOT of people that approve of the way Bendis is going, or at least willing to continue giving him the benefit of the doubt. Money talks louder than Message Board fan boys

PS: I had a lot of trouble with Powers too, then I picked up Who Killed Retro Girl, read it, went on to the next trade, etc. Now I'm hooked.

Powers is just low on my list for Image trades. I'm sure I'll read it eventually, but I've got Hellboy and Stray Bullets to play catch up with first.

07-13-2005, 05:22 PM

It's (imho) Bendis' best work since 2001 or so. Great great stuff. The first Marvel arc will probably work better for you if you read the Image stuff. Like any Bendis book, it reads infinitely better in trades.

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 05:23 PM
It's (imho) Bendis' best work since 2001 or so. Great great stuff. The first Marvel arc will probably work better for you if you read the Image stuff. Like any Bendis book, it reads infinitely better in trades.

Except for USM, I think.

Caley Tibbittz
07-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I thought the Powers: Little Deaths trade was great. And I really mean that.

Angel of Distraction
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I thought the Powers: Little Deaths trade was great. And I really mean that.

Best title I've ever heard, maybe.