PDA

View Full Version : Marvel ReEvolution

Thequeerjock
03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/e/80/4f5c33d2d0caa/detail.jpg

The Marvel ReEvolution is here—and comics will never be the same! The future of comic book publishing was unveiled to the raucous crowd at SXSW Interactive’ s ScreenBurn Arcade courtesy of industry superstars Axel Alonso (Editor in Chief, Marvel Comics), Peter Phillips (SVP/GM, Marvel Digital Media) and Jeph Loeb (Head of Marvel Television) during the historic Marvel: House of Ideas panel

Marvel Infinite Comics
An industry first, the Marvel ReEvolution seamlessly brings the worlds of print and digital media together for a comics experience like no other. The first two elements of this exciting new initiative were revealed as Marvel Infinite Comics, a new comic book format, and Marvel AR, the first major augmented reality app from a comics company. And fans will not have to wait long to get in on the action as they will both be released with the hotly-anticipated AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1 on April 4, when the two biggest super heroe teams in the world go to war!
“Marvel’s always led graphic fiction industry in digital media innovation and the Marvel ReEvolution is a quantum leap into the future of publishing,” said Dan Buckley. Publisher & President of the Print, Animation & Digital Divisions, Marvel Worldwide, Inc. “We see print and digital product as complementary, not competitive—so we’ve made sure that not only do we have new digital content but also digital products that enhance the printed page. The release of AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1, the biggest story we’ve ever told, is the activation point for the re-evolution of comics as a whole.”
Marvel Infinite Comics represent a new form of comic book storytelling, using tablets and smartphones as a new canvas for storytelling, taking advantage of modern technology while staying true to medium’s greatest strengths. The first comic released in this format will be AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1 INFINITE, from acclaimed creators Mark Waid and Stuart Immonen and available on April 4 for purchase on the Marvel Comics app, free with the redemption of the code found in print copies of AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1 or included with the purchase of the digital version.

Marvel AR
“We call these Marvel Infinite Comics because the storytelling possibilities are, frankly, infinite. Writers and artists now have a whole host of new tools at their disposal to redefine the comic book medium,” said Alonso. “Current tablets and smartphones, along with comiXology’s Guided View technology, allow us to develop new, full length stories for a different medium that are very much truly comics—but experienced by readers in a way no other major company has ever executed.”
The Marvel AR app, powered by Aurasma, will be released in April for iOS and Android devices. By opening this app and scanning select Marvel products featuring the Marvel AR logo, you’ll unlock exclusive content starring the world’s most popular super heroes, including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk and many others! Go behind the scenes of your favorite comics, see new footage, hear from creators, catch yourself up on past events and more!
“Marvel AR is a perfect example of how digital innovation not only gives added value to print comics, but also brings a delivers an entirely new reading experience,” explained Phillips. “Now fans will have access to more behind-the-scenes material from their favorite Marvel products than ever before—and it’s all absolutely free.”

Interesting. I'm wondering how much original content they'll be producing for this format.

Slewo.O
03-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Mark Waid? Stuart Immonen? Nova?

This may just be worthwhile.

Shurato2099
03-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Marvel AR smells faintly of gimmick, but ReEvolution could be interesting depending on what they actually -do- with it (right now I'm thinking an extension of motion comics).

Danimal
03-11-2012, 01:42 PM
It's hard to gather much in the way of actual content from the press release in terms of exactly what this will be, but it seems like if nothing else there will be extra content via an app? One thing I do like is that they do seem to recognize how much the medium goes towards the actual story. I'll be curious to see what this is about.

Corrina
03-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I was hoping there would be something in the new app that would somehow involve bells & whistles in the comic itself beyond new content. Maybe they're talking about little images in the comic which you can touch and then you'll hear Mark Waid talk about it behind the scenes. Or you'll hear how it could've had an alternate ending and see that alternate ending.

Or maybe it'll allow you to mix up the comic and put, say, all the subplot pages together pulled out from the main story. Which would be interesting if they had all the subplot pages somehow mesh with all the subplot pages from the big event and then you could form your own full-length comic from them.

Er, maybe that's not technologically possible. I know little about programming.

Patrick Gerard
03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I've been playing with how I would produce comics differently for the tablet if I had the chance.

I think it can be a different experience. Not just scanned comics or comics with sound effects (like some of the old efforts at motion comics) but radically different.

One real potential for innovation aside from aspect ratios designed for tablet reading is what you do with lettering as well as supplying panel by panel audio commentary from the creators. The lettering in particular is a big opportunity.

Comics were reinvented in the 90s in some ways to create superstar colorists and many of them can demand fees on par with pencillers. What I have in mind would do that for letterers. If I had the money, I'd be looking at getting some of the established big letters like Richard Starkings to do a pilot project that plays with this. I think the tablet could be HUGE for letterers as well as audio engineers in a way that isn't just silly sound effects and gimmicks.

Patrick Gerard
03-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I was hoping there would be something in the new app that would somehow involve bells & whistles in the comic itself beyond new content. Maybe they're talking about little images in the comic which you can touch and then you'll hear Mark Waid talk about it behind the scenes. Or you'll hear how it could've had an alternate ending and see that alternate ending.

Or maybe it'll allow you to mix up the comic and put, say, all the subplot pages together pulled out from the main story. Which would be interesting if they had all the subplot pages somehow mesh with all the subplot pages from the big event and then you could form your own full-length comic from them.

Er, maybe that's not technologically possible. I know little about programming.

All great ideas.

One thing I'd love to play with as a pilot project is a time travel story that actually changes the comic.

spollock
03-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Working demo. For the time being it works as neat DVD extras.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57394694-1/marvel-augments-your-comics-reality/

Cassandra
03-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Same here. If anyone has read Alex De Campi's 'Valentine' on a tablet (if you haven't you should, it's free on Comixology) she makes perfect use of the digital tablet technology.

I'm not so sure if I want behind-the-scenes stuff while I'm reading a comic, it may pull me out of the book a little too much.

Corrina
03-11-2012, 04:02 PM
The behind the scenes stuff would be optional. I was envisioning doing it on second read.

This kind of app takes a lot of time and work right, yes? So now I'm wondering if DC's new 52 was an attempt to get ahead in the digital race after hearing about Marvel's upcoming digital app.

Slewo.O
03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
The behind the scenes stuff would be optional. I was envisioning doing it on second read.

This kind of app takes a lot of time and work right, yes? So now I'm wondering if DC's new 52 was an attempt to get ahead in the digital race after hearing about Marvel's upcoming digital app.

Day and date digital wouldn't need a relaunch. DC was already doing that with certain books prior to the relaunch IIRC.

Slewo.O
03-11-2012, 04:07 PM
In all honesty I'm a book guy through and through. While I understand digital comics are a format all their own, they're not my major interest. I'd rather see Marvel do away with the double shipping and 3.99 stuff rather than this.

Thequeerjock
03-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Probably not. I'm not sure what the sales for digital have been like, but their transition to digital certainly wasn't highlighted to the extent that it looks like the Marvel thing here is. Though they did do some good work pushing some digital-first series for Arkham City and Batman Beyond.

Personamanx
03-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Eh, could be cool. I'm not really into the whole digital comics thing though. Still might mean that some cool stuff might come from it, maybe Marvel will use this format as a chance to relaucnh fan favourite books that have trouble staying afloat.

VenomMelendez
03-11-2012, 07:11 PM
In all honesty I'm a book guy through and through. While I understand digital comics are a format all their own, they're not my major interest. I'd rather see Marvel do away with the double shipping and 3.99 stuff rather than this.

But this is a step in a new direction and now when you buy a 3.99 comic, you also get a digital copy.

Danimal
03-11-2012, 08:16 PM
But this is a step in a new direction and now when you buy a 3.99 comic, you also get a digital copy.

Which for me is much easier to justify than $3.99 for just a digital comic.

RobStaeger
03-11-2012, 09:38 PM
I've still got a rotary cellphone, so y'all enjoy these bells and whistles for me, 'kay?

Tom Stillwell
03-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Has anyone with a tablet taken a look at the Double Feature app from my friends at Four Star Studios? For 99 cents you get two original themed 8 page tales that include special features like commentary and a look at the creative process. This is how digital should be done.

http://doublefeaturecomics.com/

They actually licensed the technology Graphicly. Both Invincible and Walking Dead are available using the same tech.

Thequeerjock
03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I saw a site note that the new digital Nova story drops three days after the premier of the new Spider-Man cartoon, where the new Nova is a main character. I'm guessing that with the digital initiative Marvel is hoping to get some of those viewers to check him out in his own book, which sounds like a nice move.

Shurato2099
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
New Nova? What happened to Richard Ryder? Do I even want to know?

Thequeerjock
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
New Nova? What happened to Richard Ryder? Do I even want to know?

They killed him off a few years ago during that big Thanos Imperative story Abnett and Lanning did. Or at least supposedly. No body.

VenomMelendez
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
They killed him off a few years ago during that big Thanos Imperative story Abnett and Lanning did. Or at least supposedly. No body.

Yeah, he, Starlord and Thanos were traped in the Cancerverse as it was being destroyed.

Good read too. Anyway, Sam and Richard can coexist, the Nova Corps is big enough for both.

Slewo.O
03-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, he, Starlord and Thanos were traped in the Cancerverse as it was being destroyed.

Good read too. Anyway, Sam and Richard can coexist, the Nova Corps is big enough for both.

The Nova Corps certainly, but not in the Marvel Universe. They don't like two guys having the same name. If Richard comes back, which if they went to to the trouble of introducing a new guy in tv, it won't be for awhile. But if he does, he's dead meat.

I'm actually interested in who this new guy is, but I hope they explain how the Nova Corps is back even though Rich took the entire Nova Force with hints