PDA

View Full Version : Lindsey Lohan / Jack White on SNL last night. Thoughts?

WesleyCraigGreen
03-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I didn't see much of it (the Weekend Update, Jack White's first song, the skit w/Lohan and Keenan as the two prisoners trying to "scare straight" Hader, Samburg, and the other guy, and the Rude Buddah skit) but based on what I saw, it doesn't appear that I missed too much.

I do have to say that I'm really looking forward to the Jack White album when it comes out.

And what is up with Lohan's face? Did she get some botox done cause she went from a cutie to a "What the..."

Wesley

Kedd
03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
She wasn't very good on it. Aside from the opening monologue she was a stinker. I liked Jack White more than most of the musical guests these past few months. The best bit, to me, was the weird guy sitting next to the fire place.

dasNdanger
03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Crap. Didn't know Jack was on the show. I would have watched it.

I have seen clips of Lindsay from the show, and - yeah - she's looking a bit rough. I want to think it's the hair, though - that color makes her look very harsh.

das

silverboy
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Lohan was horrendous and looked bad. Lots of people phoning it in. Hader was out of control.

Jack White was the only highlight.

chazbot
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I enjoyed the skit with all the girls and Fred being street girls and Fred kept getting hit by cars.

Seemed to be quite a few fake commercials and a forgettable digital short.

Kedd
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I enjoyed the skit with all the girls and Fred being street girls and Fred kept getting hit by cars.

Seemed to be quite a few fake commercials and a forgettable digital short.

I think all of those commercials were re-used. The digital short started out kind of funny and then quickly stopped being funny. I think the best part of Lohan's performance, honestly, was the very beginning of the Scared Straight skit when they introduce themselves. Just a flat: "And I'm Lindsay Lohan". She went on to really stick up that whole thing.

dougmac
03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
I think all of those commercials were re-used. The digital short started out kind of funny and then quickly stopped being funny. I think the best part of Lohan's performance, honestly, was the very beginning of the Scared Straight skit when they introduce themselves. Just a flat: "And I'm Lindsay Lohan". She went on to really stick up that whole thing.

The Verizon one definitely was

Kedd
03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
The Verizon one definitely was

I'm trying to remember which ones were on right now. Verizon was reused, the stop smoking one was reused. Blanking on what else was used.

Ryan F
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Disney Housewives commercial was pretty good, and I laughed at the Psychic Awards, the AM radio show, and the "calls are coming from inside the house" sketches...even though they were all kind of one-joke sketches (at least none were dragged out too long). Not a terrible episode considering that the host seemed totally unrehearsed and looked like a trainwreck.

Lohan was good in one of her earlier appearances. I was going to say "what the hell happened to her?" but I guess we know. Still, she was even worse than I thought she'd be.

BENDIS!
03-04-2012, 12:10 PM
it is clear that wiig, sudekis and samberg are done. this is their last season. only wiig is going out in style. her best season.

people being super rough on lola. she had one bad sketch. she had a superior monologue and a buzz worthy disney princesses which is more than tatum had. her cheeks freak me out though. she was so damn pretty. its a shame she didn't know it.

ratings were huge.

chazbot
03-04-2012, 12:25 PM
it is clear that wiig, sudekis and samberg are done. this is their last season. only wiig is going out in style. her best season.

people being super rough on lola. she had one bad sketch. she had a superior monologue and a buzz worthy disney princesses which is more than tatum had. her cheeks freak me out though. she was so damn pretty. its a shame she didn't know it.

ratings were huge.

I'd say Tatum had a better overall show. I don't think she ahould be getting as crushed as she is by Twitter and the like, Lohan was better by far than January Jones. That is the modern low bar hosting performance.

totalsellout
03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
She just did not seem to be in character the whole episode. She seemed to just be standing near comedians, not actually acting. But she didn't screw anything up really. She wasn't awful, she just wasn't as great as used to be.

Jack was awesome. When he played with an all girl backup band the first song I thought it might come across as weird since he just split from Meg, but then he just brought an all male band for the next. Both performances kicked ass.

silverboy
03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
She seemed to have a lot of trouble reading cue cards.

JJ Fresh
03-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Just caught up with it and the first two sketches were good, but the rest was forgetable.

Jack White was fun and as much as I miss The White Stripes I highly doubt Meg could keep up with the drumming done in that second tune. Can't wait for his album.

Stark Raving
03-04-2012, 01:31 PM

ratings were huge.
I think Wiig is definitely gone, but if Samberg leaves, I hope he can do better than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWkFkWiiTc

Brad N.
03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
With very few exceptions and some fun Hader moments that was a pretty shitty episode. Lohan looks mid-40's which is scary for someone half that age.

James Patrick
03-04-2012, 02:02 PM
She stumbled through a lot of lines. She wasn't bad and it wasn't a bad show, but she's just not sharp for an actress who should be in her element. I like the show with some exceptions. Is Samberg trying or is he just out of ideas in that fromat? Sedekis is more a an actor, but he always holds skits together. He and wig will thrive when they leave.

Spidey616
03-04-2012, 03:05 PM
I chuckled when Kenan Thompson said "I've been high since Good Burger" during the opening monologue.

Had a feeling we were going to see Bobby Moynihan do something Snooki related this week :)

SidekicksRevenge
03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I thought it was a solid show in spite of LiLo stumbling through it a bit.

Agree with Bendis that this has been Wiig's best season. She knows she's about to be a superduperstar thanks to Bridesmaids.

I couldn't help but notice that the costume people were trying to send LiLo a message. They put her in a redhead wig at just about every opportunity.

Jack White was pretty incredible. It's nice to know that I don't hate everything.

MayorMitch100
03-04-2012, 03:30 PM

ratings were huge.

I can't stand Wiig for whatever reason. All of her characters end up being the same jokes to me. It is really annoying.

GrandeMaestro F√ľnke
03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know why the hulu playlist for the episode starts with the old cowbell sketch?

dasNdanger
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I just watched a bit of the show on SNL's site (entire eps for free).

Firstly, Jack White was - and is - awesome! Loved the songs.

Secondly, I agree - Lindsay looks sooo much better in the red wig. I hope she gets the hint.

Thirdly, I'm sure the girl was nervous as hell. Nervous, and - hopefully - without the substances that once shored her up.

Fourthly, I was a bit disappointed with 'James Carville'. I have a wicked mean crush on James :Oops: , and thought the guy (I don't know the actors on SNL by name) did his voice and all just fine, but he was just a tad too goofy. He also didn't play up some of Carville's quirks, like his little stutter and nervous laugh and those impatient noises he makes when someone else is talking. He really could have hit it out of the park, but instead it fell a bit flat with this Carville fan.

das

Roman Noodles
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I enjoyed this episode in spite of Lilo. But I still really want her to get that old spark of hers back. The old Lindsay would have killed this.

usagi20
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
It seemed to me that LiLo thought that all she had to do was show up sober and that would be enough. It wasn't.

BriRedfern
03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Is LiLo a thing now? Really? It is too hard to type Lohan? She needs a horrid nick name?

Dark Sasha
03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Lola?!

WesleyCraigGreen
03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
ratings were huge.

True but I think it's pretty obvious that was due to people wanting to see if she would f**k things up or something. From what I saw, it seemed like she was out of her element to a certain extent.

Wesley

Dark Sasha
03-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Sudekis breaking desk.

Mylazycat
03-04-2012, 07:04 PM

ratings were huge.

While I agree with the guy on Twitter who said the national media probably had their reviews of the show written before it even aired, there was something off about her and it was not a very good performance overall. Not January Jones level but still all over the map.

Jack White was just plain awesome.

dougmac
03-04-2012, 07:06 PM
It's weird because she was good on it before

SidekicksRevenge
03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
While I agree with the guy on Twitter who said the national media probably had their reviews of the show written before it even aired, there was something off about her and it was not a very good performance overall. Not January Jones level but still all over the map.

Yeah, she wasn't a straight up trainwreck. She was pretty bad (far from the worst) with these little flashes of brilliance like maybe the coke hasn't destroyed all of the fun in her life after all.

JJ Fresh
03-04-2012, 07:10 PM
It's weird because she was good on it before

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/3002331.jpg

Dark Sasha
03-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I think there was a lot of maneuvering behind the scenes to secure the show.

dougmac
03-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Yeah but she wasn't clean back then either

Brad N.
03-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah but she wasn't clean back then either

No, but she has done decades more damage in the last 6 years to herself. Her terrible botox and nasty skin and hair aside she had the worst time trying to read the cue cards. That prison sketch was embarassing for me to watch especially.

BENDIS!
03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I think Wiig is definitely gone, but if Samberg leaves, I hope he can do better than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWkFkWiiTc

that movie, which i will never see, will make 125 mill and samberg will get to make three movies of his own.

Dark Sasha
03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Michael Lohan would be a good host.

Brad N.
03-04-2012, 08:08 PM
that movie, which i will never see, will make 125 mill and samberg will get to make three movies of his own.

And yet we still can't get a Torso movie made. A travesty I tells ya. :(

Brad N.
03-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Michael Lohan would be a good host.

Isn't he in prison? He and Dina should be if not. Together, in the same cell, and filmed for Bravo.

XXXenophile
03-05-2012, 04:55 AM
I thought the writing overall on the episode was bad. The only bad thing about Lindsey was you don't like it when you can tell they're reading the cue cards.

majorjoe23
03-05-2012, 05:17 AM
And yet we still can't get a Torso movie made. A travesty I tells ya. :(

Problem solved: Adam Sandler IS Eliot Ness.

RickLM
03-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Just caught up with it and the first two sketches were good, but the rest was forgetable.

Jack White was fun and as much as I miss The White Stripes I highly doubt Meg could keep up with the drumming done in that second tune. Can't wait for his album.

Is White entire backing band female? I thought that was interesting.

silverboy
03-05-2012, 06:05 AM
I love that White has two different backing bands.

I hope he has a different band for every song on his tour.

JJ Fresh
03-05-2012, 07:23 AM
I love that White has two different backing bands.

I hope he has a different band for every song on his tour.

Jack White presents The White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather with special guests Wanda Jackson, Norah Jones, Danger Mouse, Loretta Lynn, Alicia Keys, and the Insane Clown Posse. He's worked with a lot of people, it can be done and I'd be all for it (minus the ICP stuff).

Stark Raving
03-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Worldwide, maybe. Domestic, no way.

And yes, Samberg will get his movies, because only people aren't tired of him yet.

PeterSparker
03-05-2012, 10:54 AM

ratings were huge.

Interesting. And I agree Wiig has had a great season. With Sudekis it's hard to tell, because no matter what sketch (or tv show, or movie for that matter) he's always Sudekis. And I don't even mean that in a bad way, I'm a fan, but it's almost always in the same register with him no matter what. I just hope Hader isn't leaving...

And yeah it was a bit of a downer sat night because Lohan looked strange and did not have the spark or humor of her last appearance. Wasn't a horrible show, but wasn't that great.

Dark Sasha
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I think Hader and Meyers will leave together when the time comes.

PeterSparker
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I think Hader and Meyers will leave together when the time comes.

I agree. I just hope that's a couple of seasons away still.

Dark Sasha
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
And John Mulaney I see taking over Update after Seth.

Dan-C
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Is it just me, or was Lindsay attacked by bees before coming on stage last night?

Jef UK
03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Lilo was pretty hot as the Girl Gang member. Her face barely moves though. She's 25 and she's already botoxing or worse?!?

Mylazycat
03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I thought the writing overall on the episode was bad. The only bad thing about Lindsey was you don't like it when you can tell they're reading the cue cards.

Thing is, there are people like Betty White and Dwayne Johnson who can make a sketch funny all on their own with comic timing, delivery and flair. When it's a serious actor, like Hugh Laurie, their real acting skill can lift a sketch and make in entertaining by how deep they can go into some crazy ass character and make you buy the character. Lohan, however, has none of those three traits.

I honestly thought she was moving in on 30. I was shocked to read that she's still only 25.

Dark Sasha
03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Thing is, there are people like Betty White and Dwayne Johnson who can make a sketch funny all on their own with comic timing, delivery and flair. When it's a serious actor, like Hugh Laurie, their real acting skill can lift a sketch and make in entertaining by how deep they can go into some crazy ass character and make you buy the character. Lohan, however, has none of those three traits.

I honestly thought she was moving in on 30. I was shocked to read that she's still only 25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQ2756cyD8

(I love you and get your point, but Hugh Laurie is a very very funny comedian)

Roman Noodles
03-05-2012, 05:16 PM
"very" funny depends on how much you appreciate British humor, but yes, he is quite accomplished in comedy.

dasNdanger
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
"very" funny depends on how much you appreciate British humor, but yes, he is quite accomplished in comedy.

As a rule, I find British humor far funnier than American. At least, when I see it on the screen. For some reason when I'm around my Brit friends I often miss the joke because they are just so dry about it. Not sure why that is (esp. since it's the dryness that I love), unless I can only grasp Brit humor when I'm expecting it.

das

kodave
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Her legs looked good in that one skit. Otherwise she was pretty forgettable.

Mylazycat
03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I had no idea of Hugh Laurie's comedy background. Interesting.

batroc the leaper
03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
And John Mulaney I see taking over Update after Seth.

I've been thinking this for a while.