PDA

View Full Version : A friend is being stalked by a reality television star.

MacQuarrie
02-06-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm going to phrase this carefully so it doesn't show up if the person does a "vanity google"...

So there's this person I work with at my new job. She's a nice lady, She teaches Sunday school at her church. Among her students until very recently were the children of somebody who gained fame on a reality show a long time ago. When this person was being violently abusive to his wife, this nice lady gave her phone number to the guy's wife and said to call if she needed anything. So now the wife has left her husband and moved back home with the kids, and the crazy reality guy blames the church for it. Specifically, he blames the only person in the church whose name he knows, the Sunday scool teacher his kids talked about, and whose phone number he's found. He's calling at all hours and leaving angry and abusive messages. Somehow he got her home number as well, and now she's getting calls there too.

If you know about the history of reality TV, you'll remember that one of the first such programs was one where a bunch of diverse people from all over move into a house together. It ran on the music channel, and the first season featured an aspiring comic book writer, another guy with AIDS (who later died and the writer did a comic about him), and a really obnoxious person who was such a creep he got thrown off the show. That's the guy.

K-DoG7p7
02-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Spanky Ham from Drawn Together is based on that guy.. hehehehehe

Matt Doc Martin
02-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Beat him with a hockey stick.

Little Scandal
02-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Beat him with a hockey stick. As much as I'd like to agree with that suggestion and if I were a Bertenelli that would be doable, the only (legal) suggestion I have is to call the cops. Tell your friend to call the cops.

MacQuarrie
02-06-2012, 08:36 AM
She is documenting everything and has done that.

MacQuarrie
02-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Beat him with a hockey stick.

That's the guy.

Jim Schnobrich
02-06-2012, 09:00 AM
On a somewhat related note, one of my old roommates hooked up with the ex-girlfriend of one of the cast members of that same show from a later season. This was in 2003

Thequeerjock
02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Well at least she's documented it. I'm not really sure what to say but I hope she's alright.

scout1279
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah, she needs to inform the police. I'm not sure they can do anything about it at this point, but they should know. He probably has a record, so that might factor into how they would deal with it as well.

FanboyStranger
02-06-2012, 09:18 AM
If you know about the history of reality TV, you'll remember that one of the first such programs was one where a bunch of diverse people from all over move into a house together. It ran on the music channel, and the first season featured an aspiring comic book writer, another guy with AIDS (who later died and the writer did a comic about him), and a really obnoxious person who was such a creep he got thrown off the show. That's the guy.

I think that was actually the third season, and the last time they tried to get a group of semi-interesting people with an odd array of talents together rather than some clowns with nice bodies and no shame. The guy in question was a tremendous dick then, so it doesn't surprise me that he's progressed into being a true piece of garbage.

Patrick Gerard
02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm going to phrase this carefully so it doesn't show up if the person does a "vanity google"...

So there's this person I work with at my new job. She's a nice lady, She teaches Sunday school at her church. Among her students until very recently were the children of somebody who gained fame on a reality show a long time ago. When this person was being violently abusive to his wife, this nice lady gave her phone number to the guy's wife and said to call if she needed anything. So now the wife has left her husband and moved back home with the kids, and the crazy reality guy blames the church for it. Specifically, he blames the only person in the church whose name he knows, the Sunday scool teacher his kids talked about, and whose phone number he's found. He's calling at all hours and leaving angry and abusive messages. Somehow he got her home number as well, and now she's getting calls there too.

That guy has been the subject of many a Chuck Klosterman essay on everything that's wrong with modern society, with other reality stars and even average people trying to be like this guy.

Spiffy
02-06-2012, 09:45 AM
That's the guy.
That guy got arrested related to the root cause of all of this last year, didn't he?

It seems to me that getting a restraining order, relating to your friend, would be fairly easy, given his history. Such an order can usually be easily written to include phone contact, email, pressure applied through third parties, etc.

A lot of people roll their eyes at restraining orders (and for good reason). But when its someone being harassed at one level removed, I doubt the slimy guy has the balls to stick to it when he knows it could get him into even more legal trouble.

Keith P.
02-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Ugh, he really is a repulsive human being. I cheered when he got the boot. From everything ive seen and read he is just disgusting.

Kal El
02-06-2012, 10:04 AM
I have no idea who you're talking about but it's good that she's documenting it. Though I wonder how much she has to have documented before the cops can act.

HamsterRage
02-06-2012, 10:10 AM
That guy is loathed by pretty much everyone he's ever been around from what I've read.

Keith P.
02-06-2012, 10:21 AM
That guy is loathed by pretty much everyone he's ever been around from what I've read.

If I saw someone pick their nose, and then stick their finger in my peanut butter and scoop out some, like he did, that would be instant throat punch time.

Tyr
02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty sure Mac mentioned that she has already informed the police.

Spiffy
02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure Mac mentioned that she has already informed the police.
Yeah but the police don't get a restraining order. People have to do that on their own. The police can ENFORCE it once its been filed, but before it is all they can do is stand by and wait for someone to break a law.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
If I saw someone pick their nose, and then stick their finger in my peanut butter and scoop out some, like he did, that would be instant throat punch time.

If it were me, they'd never find his body.

Little Scandal
02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Though I wonder how much she has to have documented before the cops can act. From personal experience, physical contact/confrontation is needed for the cops to step in. Documentation goes a long way in providing evidence that can help in granting restraining orders.

In my case (many moon's ago) the guy next door kept leaving 'gifts' on our door step. My mom called the cops, freakin out, but all the cops could do was warn the guy not to do it anymore. Then the cops explained to us that we needed to document everything and that if he approched any of us (me, sis and mom) and we told him to stop and he didn't, that's when the cops could step in.

Yes, the law usually works in favor of the aggressor. It happens.

Erica J Heflin
02-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Being that I cannot know exactly how she is documenting these events, if she hasn't yet she can also call the phone company and have it set up to have all her calls recorded. While there is a certain creepy element to knowing that the phone company records your calls, if there are direct threats made when she picks up it could be helpful. Many phone companies don't offer call blocking anymore, unfortunately, but there are devices that can be hooked into your phone that do the same thing.

It is very difficult to get a restraining order against someone who has not set foot on your property, even with vicious threats documented. Or at least that has been my personal experience.

Gail Simone
02-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Is she still okay, Mac?

MacQuarrie
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Is she still okay, Mac?

She's fine. Laughing about it, actually. The guy is a major tool and a minor annoyance, really. She's being careful but not really frightened by him.

I bet your colleague at DC (the writer who was on the show with him) would be completely unsurprised by this.

Shurato2099
02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I have no idea who this is, but he sounds thoroughly repugnant.

MacQuarrie
02-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I have no idea who this is, but he sounds thoroughly repugnant.

If you were to go to Wikipedia and search for the words "reality tv comic book writer AIDS", the first result would be the name of the comic book writer who was on the show. If you go to his page, you'll find the name of the show. Following that link will allow you to read a synopsis of the show and you will have no trouble at all figuring out what thoroughly repugnant specimen of shaved ape is the subject of this thread.

Shurato2099
02-06-2012, 01:01 PM
*wiki search*results search*carry the schwa ... *

Oh. Him. He managed to breed, I pity those kids.

Tybird
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
She should contact TMZ....sounds like a story that they would cover

Corrina
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Try to have her change her phone number but make sure the old one is active with a machine/voice mail to get his calls. If he never gets any response from her despite all that trying, he may move on.

OTOH, if he gets a response, he may keep poking at her.

So sorry your friend has to go through this, Mac.

Tyr
02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah but the police don't get a restraining order. People have to do that on their own. The police can ENFORCE it once its been filed, but before it is all they can do is stand by and wait for someone to break a law.

Please Spiffy, this is Mac were talking about, he probably told her to do these things or helped her out with them if she hasn't done them already.

Spiffy
02-06-2012, 04:55 PM
From personal experience, physical contact/confrontation is needed for the cops to step in. Documentation goes a long way in providing evidence that can help in granting restraining orders.
I believe, very often you can get a TRO with almost no "proof" or paper trail at all. You just fill out a form and a judge often rubber stamps it.

Its taking the "T" off the beginning that takes more. All the talk about what the cops can and can't do is more driven by what the court is first WILLING to do.

Ray G.
02-06-2012, 04:59 PM
It amazes me that he's not dead from an overdose or murder yet, really.

Spiffy
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Please Spiffy, this is Mac were talking about, he probably told her to do these things or helped her out with them if she hasn't done them already.
I know, but the "what can the cops do" talk can be counter-productive if you aren't careful. If you haven't first talked about getting a restraining order, then its just going in circles ruminating on what the cops can or will do.

For good or ill, the cops generally don't see themselves as in the business of crime prevention--they just don't have the manpower (and yes, often not the will). They can act if the law's been broken and it seems to be provable, and they can act if there's a court order. That's the starting point you have to work with as a PRACTICAL thing, and not simply "she needs to inform the police" (as someone stated). Yes, that still is a reasonable thing, so there's that paper trail, but there has to be enough proof to press charges for it to provide any level of action. The restraining order is far more proactive.

Infra-Man
02-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Know the guy you're talking about. He was a total asshole on the show, and apparently he's still a total asshole now.

MacQuarrie
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
The situation has now been handled. The pastor of the church called the guy, explained that the nice lady has nothing to do with anything and that he should leave her alone before the situation gets unpleasant. Amazingly, the asshat took his advice and went away.

I told her the TMZ idea. It will be remembered in case the problem returns.

SarahBeach
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
That's great, Mac. And hopefully it stays that way. But very creepy.

Tyr
02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Wait Sarah is here? Sarah! *Virtual Bear Hug!*

The situation has now been handled. The pastor of the church called the guy, explained that the nice lady has nothing to do with anything and that he should leave her alone before the situation gets unpleasant. Amazingly, the asshat took his advice and went away.

I told her the TMZ idea. It will be remembered in case the problem returns.

Did the pastor by any chance happen to be this guy?

http://www.moviemarket.com/library/photos/257/257169.jpg

saintsaucey
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
On the subject of annoying reality stars I was working in Terre Haute not this past new year but the one before that and went to a bar to avoid being alone that night. A guy came in that I sort of recognised but wasn't possitive it was him. Turns out it was. Who knew Johnny Fair Play had ties to Indiana? And I don't even watch survivor.

XXXenophile
02-08-2012, 01:02 AM
She's fine. Laughing about it, actually. The guy is a major tool and a minor annoyance, really. She's being careful but not really frightened by him.

I bet your colleague at DC (the writer who was on the show with him) would be completely unsurprised by this.

The colleague in question told me one year at SDCC just when he was becoming known in the industry (but those of us who watched the show knew who he was already) that other fans told him they'd go up to the guy in question and when they confirmed who he was, just punch him in the face and walk away.

J. Wilson
02-08-2012, 03:31 AM
It was the third season and yes, he was an asshole and I'm unsurprised that he remains an asshole.

ever_seeking
02-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Star seems a bit of a stretch, but his being a douchenozzle of the highest order isn't.

Glad the stiuation has worked out.