PDA

View Full Version : My Freaking Nightmare Happened.

Gail Simone
01-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Okay, so I was getting ready for something a couple days ago. I had the sink in my bathroom full of water (it's a lovely, green glass bowl sink, so it's perfectly round inside).

I had my iphone, ipad, and brand new Kindle Fire stacked next to the bowl. There was water on the floor, and I slipped, and suddenly all three went into the bathroom sink.

All THREE.

I panicked and grabbed out the ipad and Kindle Fire, and got them dry as fast as I could. I was freaking out, obviously. Then I noticed that the Iphone had fallen in as well,
which I hadn't realized, and it had been soaking in the water the whole time I was drying off the other stuff.

I freaked out, grabbed it out, and dried it the best I could. None of those three devices had insurance, the iphone is actually my husband's. We just bought me a new iphone,
that one WAS insured, but of course, that's not the one I left to soak.

I did something you're not supposed to do, I turned them all on. The Ipad and Kindle Fire seemed to be working perfectly, thank god.

The iphone would not play sound. No music, no ringtone, nothing.

A phone with no sound is not too wonderful a proposition.

So I was freaking out a little. Replacing iphones is crazy expensive and we still had a contract on it.

I looked up online, it said to immerse the phone in a bowl of dry rice. I posted on Twitter, and a Verizon employee who was also a reader
said that that wasn't enough, I should put the bowl of rice in the oven and leave it there with just the oven light on for at least two days.

That was a worrisome two days!

The end of the story is, I took it out, it works beautifully, no water damage at all that we can see.

So I dropped almost two grand worth of stuff in the water, and it all is working fine.

THAT, sirs and madams, is a fortunate day!

Slewo.O
01-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Well I'm glad to hear it all works. That sort of thing has almost happened to me more than once, I know the feeling. :?

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Damn, I bet the 'phew' that would have come after something like that could've been felt in Japan.

RobStaeger
01-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Whew! I'm so glad it worked out for you.

sunbird
01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
I was worried it was going to be the nightmare where the Frog Zombies of Hell came and took you and threw you to the rabid wolverines. But that sounds bad too. I'm glad it worked out okay!

HamsterRage
01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Wait you out you phone in a bowl of dry rice for 2 days and that cured it?

Wow! That's pretty nuts...

Weeto
01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
I remember dropping my then top of the range iPod Touch on to the floor and noticed that the screen was smashed.

Thankfully, I had taken out accidental damage cover on it and I got a repair done quite quickly.

Chris Jones
01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Keep it in a bowl of hot rice for two days? That sounds like a magical Old Country ritual :-P Still, I'll have to remember that!

Treacle
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Yay!

bert
01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
and that's why I'm a technophobe.

the worst that can happen is I can drop a book in the toilet :)

(tho Nick's been hinting I'm getting a kindle for my birthday in April).

Artful Angie
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
No, Chris it's good sense. The rice absorbs the water and the low heat tries to get to the water the rice can't reach. I've heard that advice for a couple of years now when it came to electronics.

Chris Jones
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
No, Chris it's good sense. The rice absorbs the water and the low heat tries to get to the water the rice can't reach. I've heard that advice for a couple of years now when it came to electronics.

That's wild. I'm not saying it isn't a valid method at all, because clearly it works, it just sounds more like a way to ward off spirits than to fix electronics.

Little Scandal
01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Gail, I swear you sound like my mom.

She had this beautiful phone (after we had just replaced one she lost not to long before). She loved it, took it everywhere. So one afternoon she was doing the laundry. Guess what she forgot in the pocket of her jeans? Yup, she left the phone in the washer in her pocket through the whole cycle. What's worse is that she didn't realize that she left it in there and she put the jeans in the dryer as well...with the phone still in the pocket.

When the laundry was done, she took out the jeans, and guess what fell out? Right again! She freaked! Try explaining that to the phone company. Now she has to live with the crapiest flip phone on the face of the planet. That's what you get mom...

Keith P.
01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I have a similliar fear about dropping my glasses in the toilet. Because no matter how much I cleaned them, I would always think about how they were on my face and had once been in poo water.

Morrison_Lad
01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Gail, I swear you sound like my mom.

She had this beautiful phone (after we had just replaced one she lost not to long before). She loved it, took it everywhere. So one afternoon she was doing the laundry. Guess what she forgot in the pocket of her jeans? Yup, she left the phone in the washer in her pocket through the whole cycle. What's worse is that she didn't realize that she left it in there and she put the jeans in the dryer as well...with the phone still in the pocket.

When the laundry was done, she took out the jeans, and guess what fell out? Right again! She freaked! Try explaining that to the phone company. Now she has to live with the crapiest flip phone on the face of the planet. That's what you get mom...

I went to get dressed the other day and noticed some lump in the pocket of my khakis. I was like, "What the hell is this?" Turns out I had taken $200 out from the ATM but forgot to get it from my pants before doing the laundry. Of course, the money was fine, if a bit crunched up into a ball-like shape.

Corrina
01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
But now I want to hear the story about what Gail was doing in the bathroom with an iPad, a Kindle Fire & an iPhone.

:)

bert
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
But now I want to hear the story about what Gail was doing in the bathroom with an iPad, a Kindle Fire & an iPhone.

:)

Playing angry birds on the toilet, of course!

what.. it's not just a GUY thing!

Shurato2099
01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
And I can but imagine that it was this version ...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/04/angry-birds-of-prey-1.jpg

Major Comma
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Glad it all worked out Gail .
That was an interesting"cure" for your iphone.
I will have to remember that.
I guess you really DO learn something new every day !

Cam63
01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
...and that's why Gail lost her gig as the nuclear " fail safe " sheila.

DungeonMasterJim
01-31-2012, 02:19 AM
The rice trick is something my computer mentor told me as well for such occassions. Rice just sucks the moisture out of everything.

Guapo Mendez
01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Yep. Dry rice: not just for salt shakers anymore.

bert
01-31-2012, 04:48 PM
GUAPO!

Tacklehugs!