PDA

View Full Version : Name your top 5 Batman Beyond episodes

Slewo.O
01-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Title explains it all. Here are mine, no order in mind.

1. Meltdown- features the return of Mr. Freeze and the 1st appearance of Blight.
2. Inque- the first Inque episode and some pretty sweet TAS references
3. Out of the Past- Terry and Bruce vs House Al Ghul
4. Shriek- the first appearance of Shriek, which has a very special sequence at the end.
5. Ascension- Blight's final appearance

How about you guys?

Hugin
01-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Dead Man's Hand - Introduction of the Royal Flush Gang, including Melanie
King's Ransom - Return of the Royal Flush Gang, including Melanie
Ace in The Hole - Ace's backstory
Last Resort - Terry infiltrating a corrupt juvenile detention facility
Out of the Past - House of Al'Ghul working against the bats

10 and Ace were the best things that show did, IMO.

ConnorHawke
01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm just curious, did Ra's Al Ghul ever make it onto this show? And if so, does anybody know which episode/s?

Hugin
01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Out of the Past has him show up in the last place you'd look. Other than that, I don't think so. They generally avoided using DCU villains.

Slewo.O
01-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Out of the Past has him show up in the last place you'd look. Other than that, I don't think so. They generally avoided using DCU villains.

That was one of the best things about the show. Most of their villains were pretty cool. My favorites are pretty obvious from my choices. If I had made it a top 10 I would have included the episodes featuring 10, the second Inque episode, and the Golem.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
01-24-2012, 09:46 AM
1. Out Of The Past
2. Last Resort
3. Lost Soul
4. Golem
5. April Moon (the music was great on this one)

Slewo.O
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
When they did use any connections to the previous series, they made it count. Thankfully it was mostly pretty natural. The Mr. Freeze one in particular was pretty brutal and heart-breaking.

The fact this show was intended to be more kid-friendly than B:TAS is ironic, even as a kid this show was waaaaay more darker edged than the previous series.

And re-watching some of the episodes makes me think Morrison ought to thank the BB team, since it seems a nice chunk of Batman 666 and Batman and Robin drew from this.

EmarAndZeb
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Meltdown - features the return of Mr. Freeze and the 1st appearance of Blight.
Shriek - the first appearance of Shriek, which has a very special sequence at the end.

Those two are definitely on there. Also

The Last Resort

...which a couple other people have mentioned, as well as...

Inqueling - This episode actually works best in concert with the other Inque eps, just 'cause Inque's whole arc has a very noir kind of feel, with themes about being used and betrayal. This is a pretty good capstone to that.
TIE A.K.A CHEATING: Payback & Where's Terry? - "Double-billing" these, because I think they're both good showcases of Old Bruce's relationship to his allies; a good man overall, but one who is both demanding and manipulative to a degree that makes him nigh-impossible to get along with.

Slewo.O
01-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Inque does have an awesome character arc, I have to agree. Inquelings is great, and the prior episode in the chain as well. I can't remember it's name. It's the one where Terry is captured by Inque, and Bruce suits up again in that badass exo-skeleton.

jhota
01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
my favourite Batman Beyond episode is actually a JLU episode... Epilogue.

saintsaucey
01-25-2012, 05:25 AM
They've pretty much all been mentioned here. I really loved the first episode with Shreak where Bruce tells Terry he doesn't call him self Bruce when he is talking to himself and Terry says yeah but that's my name now. really great moment.

JBK405
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't think there was a single real dud in the entire series, and most of the best were already mentioned, so I'll see if I can get what hasn't already been said:

Rebirth (The pilot): I think it does better than almost any other pilot of really setting up the series. We see what made Bruce retire, we saw what Neo Gotham was like, etc. It built a world and gave us conflict.

A Touch of Curare: The first episode where he really "proved" himself as Batman to somebody besides Bruce, even as it also highlights that he's not quite perfect just yet.

Joyride: Just the way the Jokerz were, in the end, so pathetic. When all's said and done they're just a gang of stupid punks who will never amount to anything in the grand scheme, and the initiate realizes and walks away at the end when he sees that he doesn't want to be that. "Hidden Agender" for the same reason.

Sentries of the Last Cosmos: It's one of the few "Let's poke fun at the fans" entries I've seen in any series that didn't come across as condescending and insulting. It made fun of them, but recognized that they meant well and, in the end, did understand the difference between fiction and reality. So many others really insult the "basement dwellers" that are their main source of income.

Bigtime & Betrayal (Yeah, it's two, but they're one story): We finally learn what Terry went to jail for, and we finally get a chance to see how much he's grown. He spent a lot of time talking about how he used to be a troublemaker, but here we got to see that he really has grown up.

Like I said, there's so many other great ones in the series, and I'm sure in five minutes I'll go "Oh, right that one should have been on my list." The entire DCAU was a fantastic production.

Danimal
01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
my favourite Batman Beyond episode is actually a JLU episode... Epilogue.

My only problem with that episode is it didn't have Max.