PDA

View Full Version : Generation X made fot tv movie...

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
from 1996.

I've started watching the unedited version for the first time since I was 12.

About halfway through so far.

In some ways, cheap and silly and very 90s.

In others, better than the 4 X-Men team movies we got.

I'm still pissed we didn't get Chamber.:gambit_sm

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Goddammit, someone fix my title.

DENNY!

Howlett
01-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I have fond memories of that movie. I think it could've been a fun (not good, but fun) series if it had been picked up. I do seem to recall it, like the Nick Fury tv movie, were to be pilots for possible future series.

Jeremy Ratchford was great as Banshee, and I liked Heather McComb as Jubilee well enough.

I've Got the Monkeys
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Frewer!

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah Banshee is a lot of fun.

And while its weird she's a cracker, I do still have a crush on Jubilee in this.

And yes, it was a possible backdoor pilot for a show.

Which makes me think how odd it is they still haven't tried to make another X-Men live action show in this vein.

Xavier's Creek.

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Frewer!

Even he can't save his horrible character and plot though.

He does however get to say "wetback" which is pretty fucked up and cool.

Howlett
01-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah Banshee is a lot of fun.

And while its weird she's a cracker, I do still have a crush on Jubilee in this.

And yes, it was a possible backdoor pilot for a show.

Which makes me think how odd it is they still haven't tried to make another X-Men live action show in this vein.

Xavier's Creek.

Well, they're probably still a bit tv shy after the totally not in any way related to the X-Men or cashing in on the X-Men movies fame, Mutant X. Despite it being a Marvel show, and featuring mutants.

Which was a stellar piece of tv right there.

Yep.

Spidey616
01-04-2012, 06:17 PM
A Caucasian actress playing Jubilee.....:mistrust:

I've Got the Monkeys
01-04-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty sure this aired close to the time of the Hoff's Nick Fury telefilm.

DaveCummings
01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I liked Banshee in it, it's about the only good thing about the movie.

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, they're probably still a bit tv shy after the totally not in any way related to the X-Men or cashing in on the X-Men movies fame, Mutant X. Despite it being a Marvel show, and featuring mutants.

Which was a stellar piece of tv right there.

Yep.

That was so weird.

Something I also like about this. They don't set it up so that the Gen X kids are like the first mutants or in their own world. They acknowledge that there are already superheroes in the world. The acknowledge that they're just one part of the X-Family. Emma Frost name drops the Hellions.

It actually feels like a part of a bigger world, unlike say pretty much every other superhero movie.

artimoff
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Xavier's Creek.

TV Jubes was married to Dawson for quite a few years. She was also on the Event.

artimoff
01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Fiona Hughes was aon ok Emma Frost.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/cbb/2008/04/11/293hughesfinola091107.jpg

Howlett
01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
That was so weird.

Something I also like about this. They don't set it up so that the Gen X kids are like the first mutants or in their own world. They acknowledge that there are already superheroes in the world. The acknowledge that they're just one part of the X-Family. Emma Frost name drops the Hellions.

It actually feels like a part of a bigger world, unlike say pretty much every other superhero movie.

It was such a god damn clusterfuck. And a total fucking waste. They could've done so much more with that show, but they fucked themselves with shitty writing, a fairly crappy cast and cutting themselves off from the rest of the x-verse. They didn't NEED the rest of the x-verse, but even a tiny name character once a season could've saved it from being utter garbage to being slightly watchable.

I did love that about Generation X too though. That was a great touch. They were probably hoping to guest star some bigger name characters if the series got picked up. Granted, we'd probably have gotten Maggott, but still!

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
TV Jubes was married to Dawson for quite a few years. She was also on the Event.

I know.

My love for the X-Men and my love for the D-Creek are close.

Especially in Junior High.

Never saw any of the Event.

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 06:42 PM

She was a ten times better Emma than we got in First Class.

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I fucking love Maggott!

Howlett
01-04-2012, 06:48 PM

She was definitely a better actress.

Howlett
01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
It was such a god damn clusterfuck. And a total fucking waste. They could've done so much more with that show, but they fucked themselves with shitty writing, a fairly crappy cast and cutting themselves off from the rest of the x-verse. They didn't NEED the rest of the x-verse, but even a tiny name character once a season could've saved it from being utter garbage to being slightly watchable.

Actually, just after posting that I remembered something about a lawsuit involving Fox. Seems it WAS supposed to be connected to the x-verse, but couldn't in the end because of Fox suing Marvel because Fox had the rights to the X-Men characters and blah blah fuckity blah, Mutant X is what we were left with.

The Human Target
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah that is right.

It was just such a misstep all around.

Dreaded Anomaly
01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't think I ever knew that the Mutant X show was made by Marvel.

DAVE
01-04-2012, 08:24 PM
y 90s.

I remember looking really forward to this. Saw it, thought it was bad and yet still loved it (I was in 8th grade I think, maybe 9th). If you think this is better in any way than the 1st two Singer X-Men movies, c'mon- you're being absurd.

artimoff
01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Fuck yeah!

C.B. Nerdlinger
01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
In the unedited version Jubilee says she virtually "shit my fucking pants," which was pretty surprising to hear.

dougmac
01-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I remember it being fun, but I havent seen it since it aired on Fox originally

Zac Goyette
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I actually have it on VHS. I remember watching on TV and then being a little surprised by the language in it after watching it on tape. Jubilee drops an F-bomb and the villain calls Skin an interdimensional wetback. I don't recall that being in the TV version.

Kedd
01-04-2012, 10:16 PM
from 1996.

I've started watching the unedited version for the first time since I was 12.

About halfway through so far.

In some ways, cheap and silly and very 90s.

I'm still pissed we didn't get Chamber.:gambit_sm
I watched it again about a week or two ago. Even X-Men 3 was better this horrid tv movie. Acting. Accents. Costumes. Special effects. The story it self. All horrible. I do like that in middle of the flick Jubilee says "My shit got cosmically fucked up" or something along those lines in the unedited version.

Marcdachamp
01-05-2012, 06:30 AM

Steven Tyler was a poor casting choice for Emma.

Cactusakic
01-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Steven Tyler was a poor casting choice for Emma.

Don't be so quick to judge:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff211/Cactusakic/0102-steven-tyler-pcn-1.jpg

He's got the tit-TAYS for it.

Marcdachamp
01-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

silverboy
01-05-2012, 06:52 AM
I remember seeing Jubilee and "Buff" changing was pretty scandalous for 11-year-old me.

Exactly why did Jubilee have to be topless for that scan thingee?

I've Got the Monkeys
01-05-2012, 06:59 AM
so, Buff was their replacement for Husk... and if I remember correctly, they replaced Chamber with a jackass named Refrax, right? or was that with two xs? After all, it was the 90s.

Josh!
01-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I loved this movie. Then again, I haven't watched it since it aired and I was 11 or 12. I'm sure it won't hold up very well. I think I have a VHS taped off of TV at my parents' house somewhere, but I'd rather leave my fond memories alone.

The Human Target
01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I remember looking really forward to this. Saw it, thought it was bad and yet still loved it (I was in 8th grade I think, maybe 9th). If you think this is better in any way than the 1st two Singer X-Men movies, c'mon- you're being absurd.

As I said before, I really like that its set in a world thats bigger than itself.

Also- it gives every charter moments and some degree of storyline. Even though Jubilee and Skin are the point of view characters starting out, they don't dominate literally every second like saw Wolverine and Rogue.

Basically, I like the feel of it and the setup more than the X-men movies.

I'M ABSURD!

HeroBoy
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
http://www.nowplayingpodcast.com/archives/nppxmen01.php

A good podcast discussing this (the first in the X-Men series, they discuss them all if you want to continue)

And you are high if you think Gen X was better than X1 X2 or XFC.

HeroBoy
01-05-2012, 12:08 PM
But It probably had better effects than X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

The Human Target
01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.nowplayingpodcast.com/archives/nppxmen01.php

A good podcast discussing this (the first in the X-Men series, they discuss them all if you want to continue)

And you are high if you think Gen X was better than X1 X2 or XFC.

Better, no.

Had some thing I did like better?

Yes.

And thanks for the link.