PDA

View Full Version : What is the best and least annoying way too...

Dave0923
12-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Self-Promote. I'm about to endeavor on my first kickstarter campaign for a comic book project, and I'm trying to figure out how to promote it and myself without coming off incredibly annoying as I've seen plenty of people do time and time again. Any cool advice would be wonderful.

Roger
12-29-2011, 09:12 AM
i've seen people post their kickstater every single day....very annoying. it's like begging your friends for money. very classless.

and sometimes it's not that much money.....go get a part time job at target or walmart, and in like 2 months you'll have the money.

Spidey616
12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Don't be a "Kid Intense"....

dasNdanger
12-29-2011, 10:17 AM
And don't be Paul Christoforo.

das

dasNdanger
12-29-2011, 10:20 AM
i've seen people post their kickstater every single day....very annoying. it's like begging your friends for money. very classless.

and sometimes it's not that much money.....go get a part time job at target or walmart, and in like 2 months you'll have the money.

I dunno. I just went through Kickstarter to get the sequel to Alex Di Campi's Smoke. I loved that mini, and was fortunate enough to stumble upon info about her publishing only 1000 hardcover editions of the new book, called Ashes. It will be available digitally, but maybe never as a trade, so I jumped on the opportunity to get one of the HC copies. I have to wait a year, but by then I will have forgotten all about it and it'll be a nice 'gift' to me! :)

das

Ryan Elliott
12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Post a link and a very brief description of it on all your social media stuff once a week.

Twitter, Facebook, Google+, whatever.

That way it's not obnoxiously in everybody's face all the time, but there's always a reminder of it there.

EDIT: this is just what I'd do. It's not a proven promotion tactic or anything.

The Funketeer
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Email friends and family once at the begining and maybe again as a reminder near the end.

Post it to Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else you use now and then. Try making it more a comment on the status of the project and your excitement over it after the initial post ("My Kickstarter project just hit 50%!" or "Getting a great response on my Kickstarter project"). Keep in mind, your social networking audience doesn't really change. You're sharing this information with the same hundred or so people every time you do it...

... to that end, don't just ask your friends to contribute, ask them to share it with people they think might be interested or even to repost or retweet it themselves.

Add it to your sig wherever you maintain one. If you don't maintain a sig, start, especially with email.

NeverWanderer
12-29-2011, 11:27 PM
In addition to everything The Funketeer says above, I think it would be reasonable to just make one post on any message board you think might be frequented by people who would enjoy your comic. Even if it's not one where you've cultivated a reputation. Just one post, being very forthright about your intentions, "Hey, I'm making a comic. If you're interested, here's the link to the kick-starter campaign. If you're not interested, thanks for your time and have a good one." Maybe include whatever preview images you have available to hook in the skeptics.

You may get a few holier-than-thous who will take offense that you didn't sing and dance for them before "littering" their board with something that might actually interest them, but you'll also get those people who enjoy comics, are curious about new stuff, and want to support indy creators.

When you hit a milestone in the funding, or at crucial points in the timeline (the halfway mark, the last couple weeks), just bump the same thread. "Hey everybody, here's an update." Don't be put off by the occasional douchebag and don't be offended if you get no responses. You're still getting eyes, which is all you can really hope for, and you're doing nothing wrong or obnoxious.

I would recommend watching the boards so you choose the optimum time of day to post so you get the most people viewing it before it's rolled off the front page. Be calm and be confident and just have a kick-ass product to sell and you'll do great.

Good luck!

James Patrick
12-30-2011, 12:25 AM
"Best" and "least annoying" are two vastly different things. Online, the most annoying campaigns have probably been the most successful in some ways. Keep in mind, the people giving you advice in this thread are thinking about "least annoying" only, and thinking what's best for them. Nothing against them, but to really make it work, you have to be ruthless.

NeverWanderer
12-30-2011, 12:48 AM
"Best" and "least annoying" are two vastly different things. Online, the most annoying campaigns have probably been the most successful in some ways. Keep in mind, the people giving you advice in this thread are thinking about "least annoying" only, and thinking what's best for them. Nothing against them, but to really make it work, you have to be ruthless.

Darn, and here I thought I was being pretty even handed. :)

While I mostly agree with you, doesn't it also help not to antagonize the people you're trying to sell to, within reason?

James Patrick
12-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Darn, and here I thought I was being pretty even handed. :)

While I mostly agree with you, doesn't it also help not to antagonize the people you're trying to sell to, within reason?

You'd think so, but the three people you get by over advertising makes up for the person who gets annoyed. And if someone wants it, they'll buy it, and annoying them wont' stop them from buying it. Here's the thing, I don't want to be annoyed. I wish a more casual approach worked. But unfortunately, what I've witnessed is not in line with this. I suck at marketing myself, because I don't want to annoy people -- but the truth is that that marketing campaign for the Gift that everyone hated -- which people still point to as a way not to market a book -- was exactly how to market a book. By the way, I'm not cutting on Raven. It's just a clear cut example of what I'm talking about. I've seen people advise people not to market the book that way, but he did well with it, it started his carreer, it was a success in many ways. In more ways than many of the Image comics eveyone praises and only sells 2,000 copies. All I'm saying is there's how we want things done, and what works, and I've seen a lot of people on this board confuse the two.

NeverWanderer
12-30-2011, 01:02 AM
You'd think so, but the three people you get by over advertising makes up for the person who gets annoyed. And if someone wants it, they'll buy it, and annoying them wont' stop them from buying it. Here's the thing, I don't want to be annoyed. I wish a more casual approach worked. But unfortunately, what I've witnessed is not in line with this. I suck at marketing myself, because I don't want to annoy people -- but the truth is that that marketing campaign for the Gift that everyone hated -- which people still point to as a way not to market a book -- was exactly how to market a book. By the way, I'm not cutting on Raven. It's just a clear cut example of what I'm talking about. I've seen people advise people not to market the book that way, but he did well with it, it started his carreer, it was a success in many ways. In more ways than many of the Image comics eveyone praises and only sells 2,000 copies. All I'm saying is there's how we want things done, and what works, and I've seen a lot of people on this board confuse the two.

That actually makes a lot of sense. In a perfect world, moderation would win out, but that's obviously not where we live.

BriRedfern
12-30-2011, 06:09 AM

Is this Raven Gregory? IS his family still cooking meth in his basement or whatever?

Stark Raving
12-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Truth.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE

Ryan Elliott
12-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Truth.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE

I didn't.

Until just now. :mad:

Kedd
12-30-2011, 07:14 AM