PDA

View Full Version : Critics and Benbo Best TV of 2011

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 05:47 AM
With the OAV Club Putting out their list of the top 20 TV shows of the year, and E-Weekly having done the same over the weekend, I figured I'd just post the lists here and maybe suggest people come up with their own. I put my preliminary top 10 up in the Boardwalk Empire thread - I'll see if I can find it - found it!

Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes Bart; I know year end entertainment lists tends to be your thing.

E-Weekly's Top 10:
1. Breaking Bad
2. Parks and Recreation.
3. Fringe
4. Homeland
5. Louie
6. Justified
7. Louie
8. The Good Wife
9. Enlightened
10. The Colbert Report

The Onion A.V. Club's top 30 (http://www.avclub.com/articles/best-tv-of-2011,66838/1/):

30. Sons of Anarchy
29. Raising Hope
27. (tie) The Daily Show
27. (tie) Men of a Certain Age
26. Parenthood
25. Children's Hospital
24. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
23. 30 Rock
22. The Vampire Diaries
21. Cougar Town
20. Boardwalk Empire
19. Curb Your Enthusiasm
18. Misfits
17. Treme
16. Fringe
15. Bob's Burgers
14. Happy Endings
13. Masterpiece: Downton Abbey
12. Mildred Pierce
11. Archer
10. Enlightened
9. The Good Wife
8. Friday Night Lights
7. Homeland
6. Game of Thrones
5. Justified
4. Community
3. Breaking Bad
2. Parks & Rec
1. Louie

Mine:

Breaking Bad
Louie
Justified
The Hour
Game of Thrones
Enlightened
Community
Parks & Rec
BoardwalkEmpire
(Not sure what 10 should be. Homeland? I lost interest when the terrorist conspiracy included fencing jewelry connected to a murder that the conspiracists themselves committed. Walking Dead? Haters have a point. Boss? Nice tits, but no. Sons of Anarchy? Maybe, if Boardwalkand Sons switched finales, so no. Archer and South Park have acquitted themselves well, as has Fringe. I'm going to go with Fringe for 10, because the show effectively uses the alternate universe premise to have its cake and eat it too vis-a-vis a reset button.)

Others? Post 'em here!

Kevin T Brown
12-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Man, I only watch 2 of those shows on the lists.... :surrend:

My top ten is wildly different.

10. White Collar
9. Suits
8. Chuck
7. Blue Bloods
6. Top Chef
5. Castle
4. Alphas
3. Fringe
2. Hell on Wheels
1. Justified

Ashwin Pande
12-21-2011, 06:16 AM
1. Louie
2. Breaking Bad
3. Game Of Thrones
4. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
5. 30 Rock
6. Community
7. Beavis and Butthead
8. Batman - The Brave and The Bold
9. Parks and Recreation
10. Childrens Hospital

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 06:44 AM
1. Louie
2. Breaking Bad
3. Game Of Thrones
4. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
5. 30 Rock
6. Community
7. Beavis and Butthead
8. Batman - The Brave and The Bold
9. Parks and Recreation
10. Can't think of one right now. Will fill in later.
You don't watch Justified? Or you don't find it worthy?

Ashwin Pande
12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
You don't watch Justified? Or you don't find it worthy?

Ehh, you know, I actually liked Season 1 a lot and watched maybe six or seven episodes of season 2 but then just lost interest for some reason.

I'll get back to it eventually.

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Ehh, you know, I actually liked Season 1 a lot and watched maybe six or seven episodes of season 2 but then just lost interest for some reason.

I'll get back to it eventually.

I hear ya. That back end really made the difference, that and Margo who was an obvious emmy winner from her first scene.

Cactusakic
12-21-2011, 06:50 AM
No order:

Louie
Breaking Bad
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Homeland
Black Mirror
Life's Too Short
Sons Of Anarchy
Damages

I watch a couple of dozen more shows, but while I enjoy them, I don't feel they should really feature on a "best of" list.

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
No order:

Louie
Breaking Bad
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Homeland
Black Mirror
Life's Too Short
Sons Of Anarchy
Damages

I watch a couple of dozen more shows, but while I enjoy them, I don't feel they should really feature on a "best of" list.

What is Black Mirror? Also, is Life's Too Short the leaked pilot for the Gervais show?

Ashwin Pande
12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
I can't believe Homeland is on there. I haven't seen it but from the trailers I saw I couldn't see how they would sustain that mystery for more than a few episodes. I mean, the guy's either brainwashed or he isn't - what else is there? Drag that on and I can't see people still caring. But I guess it is actually that good then?

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 06:55 AM
I can't believe Homeland is on there. I haven't seen it but from the trailers I saw I couldn't see how they would sustain that mystery for more than a few episodes. I mean, the guy's either brainwashed or he isn't - what else is there? Drag that on and I can't see people still caring. But I guess it is actually that good then?
While that's a major concern of the 4 or so episodes I've seen, it becomes a major factor when you realize that Danes is mentally ill and perhaps even less reliable. That, and plenty of other shit going on.

Cactusakic
12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
What is Black Mirror? Also, is Life's Too Short the leaked pilot for the Gervais show?

Charlie Brooker's latest show.
3 episodes, all stand-alone stories, satire with a Twilight Zone edge.
Episode 1 was good, 2 was a bit weak and 3 (which actually wasn't written by Brooker) blew me away.

I dunno what the state of Life's Too Short is in the US, but all 7 episodes have aired over here.
I fucking hate Gervais, but this show is balls-out hilarious.
I know it's...available to watch in the US at least, because I know other US board members have been enjoying it.

Marc Lombardi
12-21-2011, 07:02 AM
My Top 10 Shows

1) Community
2) Parks & Recreation
3) Justified
4) The Walking Dead
5) Archer
6) Hell on Wheels
7) American Horror Story
8.) It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
9) Futurama
10) Breakout Kings

The only other shows I watch are The Office, 30 Rock, True Blood (online), Once Upon a Time and various stuff on Food Network & The Travel Channel (Man vs. Food, No Reservations, etc.)

THWIP!
12-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Your going to torture me into making up a list. I love it.

Adrian B AWESOME
12-21-2011, 07:08 AM
No order:

Breaking Bad
Community
Parks & Rec
Archer
Sunny
Louie
Game of Thrones
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Eagleheart
30 Rock
Beavis and Butt-head
Superjail
The Heart, She Holler
Life's Too Short (it IS brilliant)
American Masters: Woody Allen: A Documentary
The pilot of The Killing (because as bad as it got, that pilot is still one of the best in a long time)

Honorable mention: The Walking Dead (yeah yeah, fuck off), Lights Out (had it got another season, it may have made the list)

I watch these shows but haven't seen: Season 5 of Friday Night Lights, Season 3-4 of Fringe, Season 3 of Children's Hospital, Season 2 of Justified, Boardwalk Empire and Treme. Currently watching Downton Abbey and Homeland right now so those might be added.

I tried getting into Person of Interest, but it was very lethargic and is way too CBS "Mystery of the Week" for me to enjoy, even though the cast is great and it looks fantastic. Enlightened is a bunch of pretentious garbage. I really don't understand what people see in it, but whatever. Can't get into Modern Family really. The Office is a POS compared to what it used to be. The Killing ended up being absolutely terrible with the season finale being intellectually reprehensible. How To Make It In America went from two guys hustling and trying to get their jeans company going with Luis Guzman being funny on the side in a pretty decent first season to Entourage: New York. Hell on Wheels is tremendously dull, even with Colm Meaney. And American Horror Story is one of the worst shows ever produced. How people enjoy it, let alone giving it a second season, is beyond me.

WNCE
12-21-2011, 07:12 AM
1) Southland
2) Luther
3) Misfits
4) The Walking Dead
5) Community
6) Louie
7) Top Boy
8 ) Boardwalk Empire
9) Game of Thrones
10) The Shadow Line

Cactusakic
12-21-2011, 07:13 AM
and Treme.

*Slaps forehead*

I totally forgot this because it aired so comparitively early in the year.
This would likely be the top of my list.

Ashwin Pande
12-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Ooh. 10 for me is Childrens Hospital.

WNCE
12-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Charlie Brooker's latest show.
3 episodes, all stand-alone stories, satire with a Twilight Zone edge.
Episode 1 was good, 2 was a bit weak and 3 (which actually wasn't written by Brooker) blew me away.

I actually thought episode 2 was the strongest of the the series, with 3 edging out 1. By the way Brooker's doing an end of year screenwipe, which is something to look forward to.

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 07:16 AM
And American Horror Story is one of the worst shows ever produced. How people enjoy it, let alone giving it a second season, is beyond me.

AHS had a pretty stellar episode last week. I'll give you that it's mostly dreck, but if you're going to cite The Killing pilot as a standout in light of what followed, then I have to include last week's AHS for the perspective shift it put on the entirety of what preceded. And thanks for putting the Woddy Allen doc on there, even though it's only been like 2 weeks since I saw it I neglected to note it.

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 07:18 AM
*Slaps forehead*

I totally forgot this because it aired so comparitively early in the year.
This would likely be the top of my list.
Seriously. Fuck all that noise in the last paragraph of my list. Treme was amazing this year.

Cactusakic
12-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I actually thought episode 2 was the strongest of the the series, with 3 edging out 1. By the way Brooker's doing an end of year screenwipe, which is something to look forward to.

Never miss Screenwipe, or any of his other shows, for that matter.
Thanks for the heads-up though.

Seriously. Fuck all that noise in the last paragraph of my list. Treme was amazing this year.

:thumb:

Adrian B AWESOME
12-21-2011, 07:23 AM
AHS had a pretty stellar episode last week. I'll give you that it's mostly dreck, but if you're going to cite The Killing pilot as a standout in light of what followed, then I have to include last week's AHS for the perspective shift it put on the entirety of what preceded. And thanks for putting the Woddy Allen doc on there, even though it's only been like 2 weeks since I saw it I neglected to note it.

WHY ARE YOU STILL WATCHING IT?! :lol: If a good episode is the exception, why watch? And I put The Killing's pilot because a pilot is much different than the penultimate episode of a season.

Adrian B AWESOME
12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Oh, forgot to throw Shameless (US) on there. Really enjoyed it. Probably Honorable Mention worthy.

silverboy
12-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I don't have time keep up with a lot of TV, but my favorite show is a tie between Community and P&R, and my favorite new show is New Girl.

Fourthman
12-21-2011, 07:30 AM
WHY ARE YOU STILL WATCHING IT?! :lol: If a good episode is the exception, why watch? And I put The Killing's pilot because a pilot is much different than the penultimate episode of a season.
I think it's at least more entertaining than True Blood - and I cite that show because it's the kind of show that I'd give up if I didn't think it would be seen as some sort of referendum on my marriage, or at least on spending those two particular hours a week with my wife. The obligation of sitting in front of the set for an hour and having something to talk about afterwards with her goes a long way. And it's not that a good episode is the exception, it's that a great episode is the exception. Also, young Moira.

HoldFastNow
12-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Friday Night Lights
Community
Doctor Who
Parks and recreation
Adventure Time
Regular Show
Breaking Bad
Louie
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The League

Ashwin Pande
12-21-2011, 07:35 AM
I don't know about you guys but I didn't think Curb was all that great this year. It was good but not as good as last year.

Adrian B AWESOME
12-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I don't know about you guys but I didn't think Curb was all that great this year. It was good but not as good as last year.

Palestinian Chicken, Pinkberry and Gervais say otherwise!

THWIP!
12-21-2011, 07:39 AM
I did this list more as a favorite and what I liked the best over what I think is the best.

1. Community
2. Stargate: Universe
3. Louie
4. Breaking Bad
5. Justified
6. Skins (U.K. Version)
7. Parks and Recreation
8. Doctor Who
9. Bob's Burgers
10. Fringe

Other shows I enjoyed this year:
Games of Thrones
Sons Of Anarchy
Futurama
Boardwalk Empire
Raising Hope
Modern Family

Adrian B AWESOME
12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Fourth: If you want more critic lists: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-critic-top-10-best-shows-of-2011?tag=supplementary-nav;article;2

Also AFI's top 10 from this year:

Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Homeland
Justified
Louie
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation

Humphrey_Lee
12-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Cancelled my cable back in May so I can barely comment on anything anymore. I'd assume Breaking Bad would be at the top of that list if I could have seen it. Justified Season 2 was really good. I've been keeping up on Modern Family via Hulu+ and it's been great as ever. Game of Thrones was really, really good. That's about it there though. Couldn't watch Sons of Anarchy or Walking Dead, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, etc. this season. Haven't tried Homeland or American Horror Story either. I'm pretty much at the mercy of Hulu for whatever they put on the App side of things.

Humphrey_Lee
12-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Fourth: If you want more critic lists: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-critic-top-10-best-shows-of-2011?tag=supplementary-nav;article;2

Also AFI's top 10 from this year:

Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Homeland
Justified
Louie
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation

That's probably what mine would look like, if I got to watch half those shows and were up to date on the ones I do watch. Well, substitute Community for Curb, Fringe for Good Wife, and... something for Parks because I haven't caught up on it.

Doug
12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
No order:
Louie
Justified
Game of Thrones
Treme
Doctor Who
The Mentalist (Season 4 premiere sucked though, it ruined the excellant Season 3 finale, still a fun show though)
Boardwalk Empire (need to finish watching season 2)
Bored to Death

Shows I discovered this year thanks to Netflix:
Breaking Bad (haven't seen season 4 so I won't put it on the list even though the show is great)
Coupling (UK version)
Black Books

Mark4myself
12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
In no particular order my 10 Favorite Shows this past year....

Community
The Hour
Doctor Who
Modern Family
White Collar
Suits
The Walking Dead
The Mentalist
Justified
Psych

Honorable Mention: Once Upon A Time

Just realized I barely watch anything live on TV. There are others that would be on the list if I watched them such as Boardwalk Empire (Don't get HBO but dying to see this), Homeland (friends keep raving about it to me), Shameless (supposed to be good), Breaking Bad (never got on board and need to start at the beginning). Also could not with good conscience put on Kitchen Nightmares or Top Gear which I watch repeats of all the time courtesy of BBC America nor could I put up NCIS or Bones as last year was up and down for both. I also have not seen any of the new It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episodes to include it.

Twelvecents
12-21-2011, 01:46 PM
My personal 10, in no order -

1. Breaking Bad
2. Fringe
3. The Mentalist
4. Frontline
5. Once Upon a Time
6. The Middle (100% Guilty Pleasure)
7. House (It's slipped, no question, but still can't miss for me.)
8. Project Runway (I've got a mancrush on Tim Gunn. Don't judge me.)
9. Walking Dead (Haven't read the comics.)
10. Dr. Who

Stuff that's hard to classify or just deserves a mention -
A lot of Masterpiece and Mystery stuff; the new Sherlock Holmes series, "Page 8" that was just on was fantastic. "Rubicon" on AMC about intelligence analysts at the American Policy Institute was one of the best shows I watched all year. I'm sure Mad Men would have made the list easily if they hadn't taken an effing years break. Nova continues to be steady as a rock. "Crave" on the Food Network; the host might be the funniest food geek since Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain.

Patton
12-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Breaking Bad
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
Parks and Rec
How I Met Your Mother
Treme
The Daily Show
Children's Hospital
Portlandia
Modern Family

Caley Tibbittz
12-21-2011, 04:24 PM
1. Doctor Who - (It's surpassed Buffy and Angel now, might be best show ever.)
2. The Office - (Best season yet, lots more depth and drama and still as funny as ever, perhaps more so.)
3. The Simpsons - (Best episodes in a decade, and I liked the last decade.)
4. Community - (Still hilarious and brilliant, perhaps too complicated and exploratory for its own good.)
5. The Big Bang Theory - (Ages like wine, and the women have balanced it nicely.)
6. Two And A Half Men - (Didn't think it would work now, but it's hit a fantastic stride.)
7. Parks & Recreation - (This has gotten much better than it was.)
8. iCarly - (Strong finale and premiere, not the strongest season so far.)
9. Kitchen Nightmares/The F Word/Great Escape - (Ramsay is appointment TV.)
10. Family Guy - (Doing some of their best, darkest, most dramatic work yet.)

Honorable mentions:
Bones is still really solid and had a GREAT finale.
After Lately is always funny.
Victorious has been a lot of fun this year.
American Dad has gotten a little uneven lately, but is still largely good.
New Girl is charming and has a great cast; I'm hoping the writing gets more even soon.

Oh, and Conan is still a lot of fun, but the thrill has gone away a little since the crazy middle days (I wasn't there for the even crazier old days).

Now, I don't have premium cable, so I'm not seeing the lauded dramas. Or Torchwood, which makes me so sad.