PDA

View Full Version : Does the U.S. have any of the Worlds largest or best structures anymore?

Thudpucker
12-17-2011, 08:34 AM
I was just looking at pictures of the Metropol Parasol that was completed in Spain this year (the Worlds largest wooden structure):

http://www.leenks.com/link397261.html

Really cool, I'd love to see that some day. When was the last time we did something like that in the U.S.? We used to build the worlds largest and best structures but I think all of our records have been beaten, haven't they? Do we have anything left?

And no, a ball of twine doesn't count.

RickLM
12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
The only massive things we seem to build any more are sports stadiums.

Pia Guerra
12-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Probably because building for records is super tacky. Look at the Burj Dubai, it's super tasteless and stares out over a wasteland of desert.

Keith P.
12-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Probably because building for records is super tacky. Look at the Burj Dubai, it's super tasteless and stares out over a wasteland of desert.

The first time I saw pictures of it all I could think was "well, this is the kind of interior design you get when your country makes being gay illegal."

TIP
12-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Does obesity count?

Pia Guerra
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
The first time I saw pictures of it all I could think was "well, this is the kind of interior design you get when your country makes being gay illegal."

:thumb:

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJDZrw8TUm8

Andreas
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM
When was the last time we did something like that in the U.S.?

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial. http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Musik/smilie_musik_048.gif

I'm a bad person. :surrend:

stevapalooza
12-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Great, now I'm going to have that catchy shit stuck in my head all day.

"If you want traditional Arabi like Yaani and Habibi, you can go to Souq Madinat or the Souq al Bahar"

Thudpucker
12-17-2011, 02:16 PM

The U.S. no longer does tacky things?

Personally I don't think structures like the Empire State Building and the Golden Gate Bridge are super tacky but it's all subjective I guess.

Whip
12-17-2011, 02:52 PM
The U.S. no longer does tacky things?

Personally I don't think structures like the Empire State Building and the Golden Gate Bridge are super tacky but it's all subjective I guess.

I think she meant, building something for the sake of making a record or beating out someone else is tacky.

majorjoe23
12-17-2011, 02:53 PM
My dong?

Caley Tibbittz
12-17-2011, 03:04 PM
My dong?
That means penis! Teehee.

Kurt Russell Crowe
12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
people building things here are only concerned with the cheapest possible construction/labor/materials/etc/etc/, no rich person or conglomerate here would bother building something like that anymore.

Thudpucker
12-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I think she meant, building something for the sake of making a record or beating out someone else is tacky.

Yes. I don't understand why though.

It's one of the most worthwhile things I can think of doing. It's not simply a pissing contest, it's challenging mankind to continually do bigger and better things. It takes a tremendous amount of ingenuity to concieve and execute structures like the Empire State Building or the Golden Gate Bridge. Who knows how much we've benifited from the knowledge gained building structures like those?

RickLM
12-17-2011, 04:58 PM
The country's general resistance to attempting any large project is disturbing. High-speed rail would make a lot of sense in a country as large as ours, but it gets politicized to an insane degree. We probably don't need to have the world's largest building, but it would be nice to have an infrastructure worthy of the 21st century. Any ambitious proposal is met with a tidal wave of negativity from talk radio and the Republican Party, as though no one can lift a finger until the war debts are paid off. When a couple of bridges collapse, attitudes might change.

Pia Guerra
12-17-2011, 10:30 PM

It's one of the most worthwhile things I can think of doing. It's not simply a pissing contest, it's challenging mankind to continually do bigger and better things. It takes a tremendous amount of ingenuity to concieve and execute structures like the Empire State Building or the Golden Gate Bridge. Who knows how much we've benifited from the knowledge gained building structures like those?

What's going on in Dubai right now IS a pissing contest and the results are awful design-wise, seriously the most jaw dropping awful projects ever seen because they're not about aesthetic but ostentation designed to attract gawkers and distract from a dire economy. In the US you see that in Trump's projects, all touted as "classy" but anything but, solely meant to attract the rubes. Part of it is the lack of funding behind such projects (or the aesthetic that comes with what little money there, as in Trump's case), but the main of it is the current state of design I think. Progressive architecture now is directed more at experimentation with shape and challenging standards and unfortunately that aesthetic doesn't always fit in with surrounding, pre-existing structures, especially at larger scales (like the Guggenheim in Bilbao or the EMP in Seattle). And then you have basic for-profit architecture which is done on the cheap, usually condo projects designed to be uber modern and appeal to yuppies. Vancouver is a good example of this, where the entire skyline has changed within two decades, now dominated by glass towers all designed on the same CAD programs with very little decorative detail. Until the demand changes or someone comes up with a new design aesthetic, this is what we're stuck with.

Andreas
12-18-2011, 04:05 AM
Don't forget that the company that tried to built the Dubai Tower had to declare bankruptcy. Bankrupt, even though they had slaves working for them. It's like their moral bankruptcy manifested as financial bankruptcy. Makes you wonder how many pyramids were never built.

Thomas M. Disch wrote a story about this topic once called "Pyramids for Minnesota" (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?77752) ("Pyramids for Bavaria" in the German translation).

The Governor
12-18-2011, 04:53 AM

I agree, we don't seem to have the appetite for epic feats of engineering as much these days. Where did all the people like Isambard Kingdom Brunel go?

Foolish Mortal
12-18-2011, 06:11 AM
The US still owns a few engineering feats on the world scoreboard. Hoover Dam for example is still considered among the most complex modern engineering feats ever completed.

Oh, and we went to the fucking Moon. When Dubai puts a bigass tower on the Moon, get back to me.