PDA

View Full Version : Has your mouth gotten you in trouble?

DungeonMasterJim
12-05-2011, 07:27 AM
My most recent incident is with a neighbor across from my family's house. Hearing I had gone to school for computers he gave me his daughter's computer. It's nothing great, an Emachine with Windows XP Home. The daughter did something to it and the keyboard just beeps so a user can't input anything. My mistake was in saying 'If I fix it, do you want it back?'. He said yes and that he would compensate me. I shouldn't have said anything because he originally said i could have it - outright have it. So I saw him this weekend and his daughter is asking when I'll return her computer. Fuck. And this guy is as cheap as they come. His daughter is a special needs child and he lives off her checks. He had an operation but has had doctor's clearance to work for months now but he refuses to go find a job. Even when we tell him about jobs such as carpenter stuff for which he worked in for years he just won't apply. He even had his sister pay for half of his heating bills for the winter even though she owns the house, doesn't live there,and she pays all the taxes.

So I invested 5 hours in getting the computer running again before he told me his daughter wants her computer back. He told me that he told her 'You'll get it back when you get it back.' I actually want the computer for a server but now feel totally guilty about this whole situation. I expect trouble when I go to solve it the next time I see him because this guy expects big favors in return for small favors that he does and is totally cheap. If I can get $20 out of him I'd be surprised.

So yeah, my mouth has gotten me in trouble even by the simplest of things around the wrong people.

Benel Germosen
12-05-2011, 07:38 AM
When does it not?

Ziggy Stardust
12-05-2011, 07:43 AM
daily

Gail Simone
12-05-2011, 07:47 AM
My most recent incident is with a neighbor across from my family's house. Hearing I had gone to school for computers he gave me his daughter's computer. It's nothing great, an Emachine with Windows XP Home. The daughter did something to it and the keyboard just beeps so a user can't input anything. My mistake was in saying 'If I fix it, do you want it back?'. He said yes and that he would compensate me. I shouldn't have said anything because he originally said i could have it - outright have it. So I saw him this weekend and his daughter is asking when I'll return her computer. Fuck. And this guy is as cheap as they come. His daughter is a special needs child and he lives off her checks. He had an operation but has had doctor's clearance to work for months now but he refuses to go find a job. Even when we tell him about jobs such as carpenter stuff for which he worked in for years he just won't apply. He even had his sister pay for half of his heating bills for the winter even though she owns the house, doesn't live there,and she pays all the taxes.

So I invested 5 hours in getting the computer running again before he told me his daughter wants her computer back. He told me that he told her 'You'll get it back when you get it back.' I actually want the computer for a server but now feel totally guilty about this whole situation. I expect trouble when I go to solve it the next time I see him because this guy expects big favors in return for small favors that he does and is totally cheap. If I can get $20 out of him I'd be surprised.

So yeah, my mouth has gotten me in trouble even by the simplest of things around the wrong people.

To be honest, in that situation, screw the guy.

Do it for the girl. She'll appreciate it and you're doing a good thing. Don't expect money, then if you get it, you'll be surprised. Do it for the kid, who sounds like she's got a tough hand in life already.

DungeonMasterJim
12-05-2011, 07:54 AM
To be honest, in that situation, screw the guy.

Do it for the girl. She'll appreciate it and you're doing a good thing. Don't expect money, then if you get it, you'll be surprised. Do it for the kid, who sounds like she's got a tough hand in life already.

Yeah, that's probably what will end up happening because despite a tough exterior I have a soft heart.

Another recent example may have very well cost me a job. I interviewed with a computer A Monday or so ago. The next day they sent me to interview with a potential sub-contractor. So I'd end up being paid by the first company but working at the location of the sub-contractor. During the 2nd interview the sub-contractor asked me how long I'd been working for the first company. I told them the sub-contractor the truth "They interviewed me yesterday and sent me here." Not surprisingly, the sub-contractor went with another candidate.

Shurato2099
12-05-2011, 08:47 AM
My mouth gets me into trouble periodically. Mouth at warp, brain on impulse as the Trekkie saying goes.

Impulse
12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Could we re-title this thread "When has your mouth NOT gotten you into trouble?" in my honour?

I think that's your answer.

michealdark
12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
All the fucking time. It's a bit tiresome, but I'm just impulsive as hell, and just say (or even type) things without being fully aware of what I'm doing, until I end up with a black eye or a temp banning/suspension

Keith P.
12-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Occasionally.

But It gets me out of it more often.

My mouth is talented.

AthenAltena
12-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Loads of times. If I didn't have such a good mouth/brain separation (i.e. I can think something without saying it out loud) I would have gotten in so much more trouble when I was younger. Same with my dad, since we both piss people off by virtue of asking questions, or as my dad asked his dad in the 1950s "Why is your hair square when your head's round" to which the standard response was "Shut up" or variations thereof.

Phantom Eagle
12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
My entire life.

Weeto
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah.

I ended up nearly going to court for arguing with six boys who were shouting sectarian songs and offensive language at people in the town centre and I ended up hitting four or five of them and I bust the leader of the group's face wide open after he followed me across town to continue the fight.

They were teenagers not little kids and their behaviour was disgusting as they were chanting anti-protestant slogans and swearing at old people.

I just argued with them initially after having went into a store to avoid them and they went in the store after I did.

I then ended up lashing out at their leader and then moat of the others.

I was actually suffering badly from depression at the time because of idiot neighbours who were behaving the same way at home.

michealdark
12-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Sectarian here means...racist, I assume?

Treacle
12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
All the time.

Keith P.
12-05-2011, 05:29 PM

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/125/345/951/kAJV.jpg

Lester C.
12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes, but only because I answer questons honestly and am a horrible liar as even my four year old nephew can tell I'm lying when I said I wasn't going to take him for ice cream if he kept on causing trouble.

Kevin T Brown
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Has your mouth gotten you in trouble?

Rarely.

Thankfully only on days that end in "Y".

jhota
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM

in this case, it seems to refer to division along religious and class lines. something that's plagued both Ireland and Scotland for centuries.

Weeto
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Sectarianism is descrimination along religious lines, although it does have some ethnic issues attached as Protestants in Scotland tend to be either indiginous Scots or have Northern Irish or English background while Catholics tend to be mainly of Irish background.

Our football is split down the middle with Glasgow and Edinburgh both having two major teams which are split along religious lines in terms of support. Rangers and Heart of Midlothian are generally followed by Protestants while Celtic and Hibernian have mainly Catholic fans. The songs sung by fans tend to echo historic battles and have connections to terrorism in cases. Rangers and Celtic (the Glasgow teams) were described by Time Magazine as having the most controversial event in world sports in the form of the 'Old Firm' derby match. Many teams in Scotland struggle to get 10,000 fans on a regular basis while Rangers and Celtic can get close to capacity crowds at their 50 and 60 thousand seated stadiums almost every league fixture.

Just wearing the wrong colours in the wrong place can cause huge trouble. This isn't Yankees - Red Sox rivalry, this is more like wearing the uniforms of warring armies in the home territory of the enemy.

I'm a Rangers fan but I don't wear club colours often and watch games at home. I hate arguing or fighting about football and I get angry with bigotry and sectarianism. I've got angry with people shouting stuff from both sides. I don't care which side is shouting at which, I just hate that stuff, period.

Matt Doc Martin
12-06-2011, 05:57 PM
My mouth...my fingers... my brain...my heart....

Kingsmythe
12-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Many, many times. Its part of why my personnel file at work is so thick. recent go around:

LT: We're having too many people call in, it effects the team. We need you to not call in sick. Or dead.

Me: If I'm dead, I promise you, I'm not going to care about staffing numbers.

LT: If you die when you're supposed to be on duty, I'm going to write you up.

Me: If you're going to do that again, would you at least spell my name right this time?

Loud silence. Team (this was in roll call) looking everywhere but at either or us.

LT: Ok, you can all go to work.

Little Scandal
12-07-2011, 05:36 AM
I have 'foot in mouth' Disease. No known cure :sad: