PDA

View Full Version : I'll ask it - Did you go shopping on Black Friday?

DungeonMasterJim
11-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I did but nothing serious. I went to my local Sears about 9:30am. I bought a Phillips Norelco Shaver that was normally by Sears standards $43 for $19.99. I then signed up for charge/rewards card that took $15 off your purchase. So the final cost will be $6 and change. So I was happy. That's all I wanted. My buying list for others has been cut in half the past few years and I ask for lists from people so they get what they want. Nobody got back to me with details so I had no reason to go out for other than myself. But if there's something somebody wants I will brave earlier times and greater crowds to try and get an item.

So my Black Friday shopping was pretty easy. There weren't that many people out and I think the traffic was lighter than a normal workday.

DM Jim

AndrewCrossett
11-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Nope. Went to the movies, which was almost as stressful.

Lester C.
11-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Oh hell no. :no:

Hugin
11-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I hit Wal-Mart and Target last night. The key is knowing what you want and where it is beforehand, and not going for any big items. $25 iTunes gift cards for 20 dollars are great gifts for people I don't know well, and there were cheap DVDs at both places. Getting to TVs or similar, though, would be insane.

dasNdanger
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Nope.

Hubby and I went a few years back, spent more money than we had, and there are still a few things we never used or gave away. So today I spent the day napping, and watching movies, and just relaxing. Saved a bundle, too. :)

das

Personamanx
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Went Grocery Shopping Today and stopped into HMV to buy Batman: Year One. Black Friday isn't much of a thing in Halifax despite that a lot of stores still have massive sales.

michealdark
11-25-2011, 06:32 PM
I did, briefly. I stopped in the used CD store and got "Myth and Middle Earth" and "The Selected Poems of Lord Byron" from the books section. If I go out tomorrow, I'll probably get "The Vampire Lestat" and "The Vampire Armand" as well, and maybe The Samurai Trilogy

J. Wilson
11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Technically yes.

However, I picked up a grocery store gift card that I'm giving as a gift (it was asked for) during the course of normal Friday food shopping.

And the other purchase was done online when I picked up tickets for two women's basketball games at the school's half price sale.

Jae Namkyoung
11-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Nope. Enjoyed a day of watching WWII Documentaries, and filling out much needed paperwork.

DungeonMasterJim
11-25-2011, 07:33 PM
One of my old store managers wrote on her Facebook tonight. She had her first Black Friday back in 1988 in Springfield, MA which is the third biggest city in Massachusetts. She's worked at Toys R Us from 1988 to current date. Here's her Facebook posting:

Ok just finished another Black Friday..My first one in 1988 I opened the store with 2 other people(yes Rita you were one of them) and we were open for 15 minutes before the customers started to trickle in...Last night there were 2 cops, sixty employees and a thousand people outside.. In the mist of all the chaos about an hour later someone actually questioned why something rang up for $25.00 inste...ad of $24.99. Honestly I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to say I was Punked..A friggin penny are you joking...No she was not..I had to take one off the floor and hand it to her!!!!! This sport if not for the weak of heart!!! Hope no one I know actually takes part in this madness!!! Today I am Thankful for Vodka

Oh, how times have changed.

For my part, I actually worked 10 consecutive Black Fridays from 1989 thru 1999 at the same Toys R Us. I actually found them kinda fun because I enjoyed the frenzied action. We had some people, the first in, run through the store in later years but for the most part there wasn't any crazy ass shit or trampling.

DM Jim

Flamebird
11-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I worked retail every Black Friday from 1988 till 2000; with one year off (sort of); as I worked in a warehouse.
Still worked, just didn't deal with (retail) customers.
No deal could ever be devised to make me go shopping on a Black Friday.
I have been tempted to go to a mall and just sit watching the chaos; but it didn't seem worth all the hassle.

Chris Jones
11-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Went on TFAW and bought the rest of Crying Freeman if that counts :)

Ryan Elliott
11-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Absolutely not.

Kingsmythe
11-25-2011, 10:30 PM
There is enough money in the world to convince me to try this, but it's unlikely anyone would offer it to me. ;)

So no, no way was I going out in that chaos to shop. Besides, I had to work tonight.

FanboyStranger
11-25-2011, 10:44 PM
My LCS had a special sale with 30% off everything in the store, so I went there and picked up a bunch of tpbs (and the Milk and Cheese HC). Then I went out to watch football all day.

XXXenophile
11-26-2011, 02:31 AM
I was out in it last night. Went to Walmart for a new office chair and the place was literally the 9th Circle of Hell with all the masses of people, the yelling, the crowding.

I was glad I was using one of their scooters as I didn't know how I'd get around otherwise. Got my chair, attempted to check the video game/DVD section but after looking down the aisle, thought better of it.

Then went to Best Buy for their midnight opening. No problems getting in being in my own scooter, got to just go in with the opening crowd without being on line (making sure to tell people I was not trying to get any of the door busters they already had their claim sheets for helped) and while it was crowded, it was very organized and definitely not as loud. People were very polite in letting me get where I needed to go while trying to not kick them out of their spot.

Got the two things I wanted there, and left. Most of my purchases have been through Amazon thanks to all their price matching.

jhota
11-26-2011, 03:40 AM
bought 400 lbs of concrete and 100 lbs of gravel.

Erica J Heflin
11-26-2011, 04:48 AM
Picked up some stuff online, then hit the LCS for their sales. Bought some action figures and helped fill out my Blackhawks back issues.

I have some friends who love to do it. I think it can be fun if you have the right kind of attitude for it.

Shurato2099
11-26-2011, 06:01 AM
After working Black Friday for 15 years, I slept the crap out of this one. :) Got up, played some video games, ate some leftovers, took a nap. :)

J. Wilson
11-26-2011, 06:27 AM

Must've been hell to carry out of the store. :D

CutterMike
11-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Aside from $1 for the bus ride to work, I didn't buy a damned thing.

Infra-Man
11-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Not this year. Money's tight and I already got good deals on some Criterion DVDs via Barnes & Noble earlier in the month. A few online sales have caught my eye and are tempting, but it's just not in the budget.

Hurricane
11-26-2011, 07:23 AM
I didn't go for black Friday necessarily, but I did go into Walmart to buy some caulk and ended up coming out with a new 37" HDTV and a copy of hot tub time machine on bluray. Had I had more cash, they had all three lord of the rings movies on bluray for $5 each. It was hard for me to put those down.

Artful Angie
11-26-2011, 07:43 AM
I bought a Kindle Fire for myself, and some stuff for the family. I figured the Fire is new, so the price shouldn't come down that much for Cyber Monday.

Spiffy
11-26-2011, 07:47 AM
I usually am in terror of going ANYWHERE near stores on Black Friday. Online is okay occasionally. If I go at all, I'll turn right the hell around if I see a huge crowd. People are poorer these days, so less inclined to shop at all, but if they do at ALL I think its B.F. So I think its still pretty insane to be around, lets say, the Walmart or Best Buy parking lots on those days.

One place I have visited the last few years though is Staples. So many locations there are no crowds. Last year I got a bunch of Logitech HD video cameras for $14.99 each, and this year I got Sandisk USB 16 GB memory sticks for $12.99. Other than a brief stop-in there, I kind of avoided BF. I did pull into a Target later in the day, but the crowds were negligible and no great deals. I also drove BY a Walmart though, and even at 6PM in the evening, the parking lot was so full I'd have had to walk from the very back of the lot, and even with them open for the past 12 hours at that point, people were still queued up outside of the door.

Allegedly Best Buy had some huge-sized HDTV for $199 (EDIT - Confirmed - here it is (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/332747)--a Sharp 42", so it was theoretically $300 off). I might have braved it... if I needed another HDTV (I didn't). Supposedly people were camped outside the stores in some locations from the night before (EDIT - that thread specifies the price from Midnight, so I guess that's not quite true--people just showed up after stuffing themselves full of Turkey).

Hurricane
11-26-2011, 07:55 AM
The problem with black Friday sales is most of those TVs they had on special were 720p which is the lowest end of the HDTV spectrum. To be honest, I'm not even sure how they can be considered HD with the picture quality some of them have.

Spiffy
11-26-2011, 08:01 AM
The problem with black Friday sales is most of those TVs they had on special were 720p which is the lowest end of the HDTV spectrum. To be honest, I'm not even sure how they can be considered HD with the picture quality some of them have.
No, the $199 Sharp was 1080p. The big problem was apparently that they only had 10 per store. In other words its a lure to get people to show up and settle for another item.

Matt Doc Martin
11-26-2011, 08:02 AM
I did...and did some things I am not proud of.

I will also never shop the Danbury Best Buy again.

Hurricane
11-26-2011, 08:40 AM
No, the $199 Sharp was 1080p. The big problem was apparently that they only had 10 per store. In other words its a lure to get people to show up and settle for another item.

Ah. This is probably true. The TV I bought wasn't a black Friday special, but we saw a pretty decent price for a 37" vizio 1080p and put it on a Walmart card.

DungeonMasterJim
11-26-2011, 08:47 AM
I did...and did some things I am not proud of.

I will also never shop the Danbury Best Buy again.

Thinks of the Seinfeld episode where George yells "FIRE!' at a birthday party and proceeds to shove little kids and old ladies out of his way to escape.

Matt Doc Martin
11-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Thinks of the Seinfeld episode where George yells "FIRE!' at a birthday party and proceeds to shove little kids and old ladies out of his way to escape.

The "nicer" thing I did was tell this 24(?) year old who kept randomly and repeatedly singing (in falsetto) the line "baby I like it" that "That is not at ALL fucking annoying."

He stopped. Apparently I looked mad. Who knew?

Morrison_Lad
11-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Well, I had lunch at Panera, and saw a couple of movies with friends. So, no.

I'm not interested in that sort of crowd. I've seen how these can devolve in the past, and I want no part of it.

RobStaeger
11-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Not a chance. My time is worth more than whatever I can save by wasting it in line.

jhota
11-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Must've been hell to carry out of the store. :D

i used a cart.

coveredinbees
11-26-2011, 12:39 PM
I got myself an XBox 360 and a Batman Arkham City. B)
I never wake up early enough for the big rush, but I love the crows at the mall and the deals are sweet. I love shopping normally, too. The only problem was slow walking people and a fucking HEAVY XBox and I couldn't remember where I parked.

ConnorHawke
11-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Is Black Friday a new thing in Canada? I've only noticed it the last couple of years.

Not that any of the stores go all out like they do in the States.

Mylazycat
11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Is Black Friday a new thing in Canada? I've only noticed it the last couple of years.

Not that any of the stores go all out like they do in the States.

I noticed more of it this year with supposedly big specials and such on Friday. No one I know got any of these specials, I think the supplies were quite limited to just draw attention.

EmarAndZeb
11-26-2011, 06:49 PM
No. I hate crowds, I hate shopping in large stores, and I do all my Christmas shopping at some point in December and feel no guilt about this (because why should I?). Plus, Black Friday is all bullshit (http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/shopping.asp) marketing hype (http://www.cracked.com/article_19572_5-black-friday-myths-media-wants-you-to-believe.html) to boot.

Screw Black Friday and screw the culture that tries to make me care about it.

EDIT: I did celebrate in my traditional manner by listening to Megadeth's "Good Mourning/Black Friday," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm175LWTka0) though.

bert
11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
didn't go to any stores (we went to Six Flags for the "Holiday in the Park" with some friends, and had a WONDERFUL time, despite how crowded that was -- they converted the Bumper Cars into "Frostee's Skating Rink" by laying down white plexiglass and spraying it with some kind of oil. . . slippery, and not really "ice" skating, but was fun!).

I have, however, bought WAY too much from Amazon all week.

their every 1/2 hour lightning deals are addictive, and if you're paying attention, there are some really good buys to get.

my biggest score was a gift for Nick, so I can't say what it is (he peeps here occasionally). . but it retailed for $599, typically on Amazon is $249, and I got it for ~$125.

so I'm happy :)

DonC
11-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I went to Best Buy at around 8:45am. Walked in, got a couple DVDs and only had one person in front of me in line. I was out by 9. Then I went to the Wal-Mart next door. Walked in, said hell no and left. It looked like a bomb had gone off in the store.

After that I went to the Target across the street. Same as Best Buy. In and out, no problem.

The big thing though was getting 40 graphic novels from tfaw.com. At 80% off, I'll buy damn near anything that looks interesting to me.

Infra-Man
11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
The big thing though was getting 40 graphic novels from tfaw.com. At 80% off, I'll buy damn near anything that looks interesting to me.

The Mister X Archives hardcover for only $16, and not a nick/dent?!?!?!

They just got my business.

XXXenophile
11-27-2011, 12:35 AM

When's the OR going to be finished at the 4077?

Weeto
11-27-2011, 05:29 AM
Black Friday isn't a tradition here in the UK (because we don't have Thanksgiving of course) but many stores have been hyping it up as a major shopping day and Glasgow was really busy as several stores held one day sales.

Shurato2099
11-27-2011, 05:55 AM
When's the OR going to be finished at the 4077?

Well, it's pretty cold in that neck of the woods right about now ... it could take a couple of days for the new OR pad to dry down and cure ...

J. Wilson
11-27-2011, 06:59 AM

So I'm getting something really good from you? LOL!

Kingsmythe
11-27-2011, 09:31 PM

I, and all other Amazon stock holders, thank you. ;)

BClayMoore
11-27-2011, 11:45 PM
My sister and I stood in line for a couple of hourse outside Target in Wichita, Kansas for their midnight opening. I was dispatched to snag some headphones and a gift card, and my sister thought it sounded like fun (God bless her) to tag along. She scored an inflatable mattress (for which there was no rush from the crowd).

We did hit a bar as soon as we got out of there.

-BCM

MacQuarrie
11-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Good lord no. Even if I were doing any Christmas shopping at all this year, I have never set foot in a store between Thanksgiving and the following Monday and I never will. I do not need to participate in a greed-fueled media farce intended only to further enrich our corporate overlords.

No "Cyber Monday" either. What a load of horseshit.

AndrewCrossett
11-28-2011, 07:57 AM
The temperature here is currently about 20 degrees above normal, and I refuse to even think about Christmas until it starts feeling more like it. Global warming is going to be the death of Christmas... for me, at least.

I never go shopping on the day after Thanksgiving, and never will until someone invents a distintegration gun, and I can hit the malls that day and give the world the gift of an improved gene pool. Ho Ho Ho!

Seriously, I do about 80% of my Christmas shopping online. Most of the physical shopping I do is at smaller specialty stores. I might go to the mall once during December to get some odds and ends, but not for any heavy-duty shopping.

And my new least-favorite phrase this year: "door-buster." I'm even seeing it crop up in what passes for the news these days.

Gail Simone
11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
My hubby did, but it's different here. Our town is small and only a couple hundred people were there for the early opening of the only large store in town. My hubby got our son a tablet computer for a really good price (we broke down and gave it to him early!).

DungeonMasterJim
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
No "Cyber Monday" either. What a load of horseshit.

I went browsing Amazon just because. I ended up renewing a magazine subscription for my young nephew there as a Christmas gift. It's a mag called Muse - sort of a science magazine I had never heard of before. Anyways, found a 12 issue magazine subscription for $5 for Extreme PC. So I bought myself one. Now I just have to make sure to cancel it after a year because it automatically renews and I'm sure the subscription would be more in line of $20+ a year.

Overall I don't go shopping on cyber Monday or Black Friday unless I have a reason to. Luckily, most of the stuff I'm interested in for myself at least are not hot items. I ended up getting an electric shaver and then a magazine subscription.

DM Jim

EmarAndZeb
11-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I celebrated Cyberpunk Monday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2fZU5USus).

...in accordance with the customs of my people.