PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana and U2 re-rereleases this year

ConnorHawke
07-02-2011, 11:07 AM
20th Anniversary (holy fuck!) re-issues of Nevermind and Achtung Baby to be released this year. And it looks like both of them are going to be packed with
shitloads of cool extras.

http://www.soundcheckmusicblog.com/nirvana-reissues-nevermind-u2-reissues-achtung-baby/

I grew up listening to Nirvana and Achtung Baby is one of my favorite albums of all-time, so this is great news. I must be getting old since I'm more excited about this than I am by any original release scheduled for this year.

Then again, I think kids today even acknowledge that 90's music is infinitely better than all the new shit that passes for music. So maybe I'm not quite that old
"back in my day" bastard quite yet.

jhota
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
i've never bought a re-release of an album i already owned, and doubt i'll start with these.

not that i own Nevermind. i hated Nirvana then, and really haven't changed my opinion since.

FanboyStranger
07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I think there's just as much good music being made today as there was in the '90s. The difference is that you're never going to hear it on the radio.

10th anniversary of Ted Leo's Tyranny of Distance. That's a record that deserves a re-release.

ConnorHawke
07-02-2011, 12:31 PM
checking it out on youtube now. a song called biomusicology. it's pretty good but i think i might be too gay for this type of music.

Infra-Man
07-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I think there's just as much good music being made today as there was in the '90s. The difference is that you're never going to hear it on the radio.

10th anniversary of Ted Leo's Tyranny of Distance. That's a record that deserves a re-release.

At a free show next Saturday in NYC, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists will be playing that album in its entirety. It'll be the 8th time I've seen them.

bert
07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
"Achtung Baby" is my 3rd favorite U2 album, and I own multiple copies of it, and yes, I'll buy the re-release.

(3rd favorite you ask?. . what in the world could be #'s 1&2: "the Unforgettable Fire", "the Joshua Tree").

by the way, you *do* know there is a rare collectible first pressing of the Achtung vinyl, right? On that cover art, Adam Clayton is nude, instead of with the 4-leaf clover the recalled album cover has :)

ConnorHawke
07-02-2011, 09:55 PM
by the way, you *do* know there is a rare collectible first pressing of the Achtung vinyl, right? On that cover art, Adam Clayton is nude, instead of with the 4-leaf clover the recalled album cover has :)

Oh yeah, I searched the picture down online as soon as I heard about that.

If only it could have been The Edge. :twisted:

bert
07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I've had it since it first came out (bought it day of in Cactus records in Houston). . . never even got it open before I heard about the recall :)

I have a few collectibles like that. .

dmh3000
07-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Already have Nevermind, so I probably won't get it.

FanboyStranger
07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
checking it out on youtube now. a song called biomusicology. it's pretty good but i think i might be too gay for this type of music.

Ha! Check out the album Hearts of Oak.

FanboyStranger
07-02-2011, 11:59 PM
At a free show next Saturday in NYC, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists will be playing that album in its entirety. It'll be the 8th time I've seen them.

Yeah, I saw that on Ted's website. In a better world, he'd be playing stadiums, but still charging $10. He's got a free show in Grant Park in Chicago in three weeks, which will be the fouth time I've seen him.

Scott Mateo
07-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Rolling Stone reported a couple months ago that U2 will be re-releasing BOTH Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Personally ever since the Boy/October/War remasters I've been waiting for AB. Flood is a great mixer, but the sound quality on the original AB is really low, of all the albums I think this one deserves a remastering the most.

I'm curious to see what they will release as far as b-sides and something live for the deluxe version. I'm hoping it's the Zoo TV Washington D.C. show, because not many shows with Bono as the Mirror Ball Man have been captured (other than the Zoo TV Outside Transmission Thanksgiving television broadcast).

As far as B-sides, not only would I like to see Satellite of Love, Lady With the Spinning Head, Paint It Black, etc. but also the first Night and Day remix, and some of the other out takes from the working demos that have leaked out over the years, like Heaven and Hell and I Feel Free.

I think the band was even promoting it at Glastonbury when they opened with 5 songs from AB, and on the rest of their dates they're still opening with at least 4 songs.

I love the new version of EBTTRT:

Even Better Than The Real Thing (http://youtu.be/C1OclBINh-8)

Pop is my second favorite album, hopefully the wait won't feel that long. I imagine it'll probably be released with Passengers or something.

Scott Mateo
09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Achtung Baby report

Q magazine is collaborating with a handful of artists for an Achtung Baby covers disc. Joining Glasvegas will be Jack White doing "Love Is Blindness," Depeche Mode performing "So Cruel," Patti Smith singing "Until The End Of The World" and Damian Rice covering "One."

Bono said of the Q magazine commissioned disc, "it’s strange, because when I hear the album, when U2 do it, all I hear is what’s wrong with it. But when I heard all these artists doing it, I thought, 'It’s really good.'"

ACHTUNG BABY ANNIVERSARY EDITION: WHAT IT HAS AND WHAT IT'S MISSING (http://www.atu2.com/news/achtung-baby-anniversary-edition-what-it-has-and-what-its-missing.html)

I'm not surprised at the amount of dance mixes, but there's a few gems missing off this

Then there's a documentary on the making of Achtung Baby...

http://youtu.be/u0mGw7Aug7g

Bono on why the film was made: "We agreed to this beause we're at that moment again where we have dodged being irrelevant. U2's been on the verge of irrelevance over these 20 years. This moment now, where we're at, for me feels like really close to the edge of irrelevance and we can be successful and we can play the big music in the big places, but if we can play music for small music (clubs, radio, etc) will make or break the band. We have to go back to that place again if we are to survive."

It sounds like they have to "go away and dream it all up again" or not come back at all. Regardless, Bono pretty much said U2 won't be back for a while (http://www.atu2.com/news/bono-u2-wont-be-back-for-a-while.html).

RachelEvil
09-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Y'know what's much, much cooler than the Nevermind reissue?

Newermind (http://www.spin.com/articles/free-album-spin-tribute-nirvanas-nevermind): A bunch of different artists, each covering a different track from Nevermind.

It includes Amanda Fucking Palmer covering "Polly", EMA covering "Endless, Nameless", and two bands that Nirvana covered extensively, the Meat Puppets and the Vaselines, covering "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Lithium", respectively.

It's nifty and free.

Lester C.
09-13-2011, 10:26 PM
20th Anniversary (holy fuck!) re-issues of Nevermind and Achtung Baby to be released this year. And it looks like both of them are going to be packed with
shitloads of cool extras.

http://www.soundcheckmusicblog.com/nirvana-reissues-nevermind-u2-reissues-achtung-baby/

I grew up listening to Nirvana and Achtung Baby is one of my favorite albums of all-time, so this is great news. I must be getting old since I'm more excited about this than I am by any original release scheduled for this year.

Then again, I think kids today even acknowledge that 90's music is infinitely better than all the new shit that passes for music. So maybe I'm not quite that old
"back in my day" bastard quite yet.

Nah you are a "back in my day" bastard. Me too. I find myself missing the 90s quite a bit myself so I'm not judging but we and I'm assuming you as well, are in our 30s so it's to be expected.

Tyr
09-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Ah Achtung Baby, one of albums U2 released back when they were actually good.

Funny thing, any time I play Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas, I end up caving to the urge to play this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI6sBdA99c8

Why someone hasn't put a AMV together with the the two is beyond me.

Also, anytime I think Liam Neeson, I think U2 for some strange reason.

Scott Mateo
09-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Great video! I remember it was played on the radio as a single when I lived in Tampa all the time! MTV said they couldn't air it at the time because of the Edge's "suffocation scene", wtf?!