PDA

View Full Version : Roger Ebert the Idiot

Hil
07-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Having spent three years as a videogame critic, I know damn well that no matter what your opinion or how well it may be presented, there will always be people who think you're an idiot. So I always try and give critics a lot of slack, because I know they are idiots. But Roger Ebert said one of the dumbest things I think I've ever heard him utter.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of the new Fantastic Four movie, I thought it was fun but not particularly great. I don't care that Ebert hated it, I can certainly understand that. But his reasoning was shockingly moronic. On his weekend show he complained multiple times that the FF were too similar to other superheroes. The Thing is too much like the Hulk, Dr. Doom is like Silver Surfer (he said this...wtf?), Invisible Woman is like Storm (????). But the one that forced me to write this was (to paraphrase):

"Mr. Fantastic, who stretches, is just like from the Incredibles."

Even my girlfriend, who knows little to nothing about comics, knows that the Increrdibles powers were a total homage/wrip-off (depending on your POV) of the Fantastic Four.

Way to be not just an idiot Roger Ebert but a Fantastic Idiot.

joeAR
07-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Sometimes I love Elbert then there are times when I want to Pimp Slap him. This definitley deserves a Pimp Slap.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-09-2005, 07:03 PM
but did the Incredibles movie come out before the Fantastic Four movie?
my little sister told me FF looked too much like the Incredibles, and what was the point

i doubt she's the only one who feels that way

CraigM
07-09-2005, 07:05 PM
my little sister told me FF looked too much like the Incredibles, and what was the point

It did.

But, the Fantastic Four existed 40 years before the Incredibles :P

Craig

Angel of Distraction
07-09-2005, 07:06 PM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=20534&highlight=storm (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=20534&highlight=storm)

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-09-2005, 07:07 PM
It did.

But, the Fantastic Four existed 40 years before the Incredibles :P

Craig
but the target teen and tweens won't know that, they'd never seen the cartoon from the 60s

joeAR
07-09-2005, 07:08 PM
but the target teen and tweens won't know that, they'd never seen the cartoon from the 60s

Yeah but Elbert being the comic book nerd that he pretends to be should know that the FF have been around longer then the Incredibles.

CraigM
07-09-2005, 07:10 PM

Yeah, and if Ebert did any kind of research, he'd know different.

This isn't about what the teen and tweens know. This is about what Roger Ebert knows. I don't expect the teens and tweens to know. I do expect Roger Ebert to know.

Craig

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah but Elbert being the comic book nerd that he pretends to be should know that the FF have been around longer then the Incredibles.
but i doubt he was writing the review for a few hundred thousand comic fans, he was probably writing it for the few hundred million movie fans

DrMachine
07-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I don't pay attention to his reviews...HOWEVER

I have spoken to people who do, and claim that they are racially biased with an obvious slant towards african americans in movies...anyone seen this bias in effect?

Angel of Distraction
07-09-2005, 07:12 PM
but i doubt he was writing the review for a few hundred thousand comic fans, he was probably writing it for the few hundred million movie fans

Which means that if he knew he was intentionally bullshitting and thus giving comics a worse reputation..."That's all comics do is rip off movies?"

I think we can generally agree that Ebert's FF review was poorly written all around.

joeAR

Not if you read his reviews of comic book movies. He always compares them to the comics. Especially his Batman: Begins review.

Angel of Distraction

I have spoken to people who do, and claim that they are racially biased with an obvious slant towards african americans in movies...anyone seen this bias in effect?

I used to read him a lot, and those peopleare full of it. I see nothing of the sort.

Hil
07-09-2005, 07:15 PM

Shame on Marvel for not making a movie that ripped off their own comic book sooner.

DrMachine
07-09-2005, 07:16 PM
I used to read him a lot, and those peopleare full of it. I see nothing of the sort.

could be...
I've never actually watched/read anything he's done

Hil
07-09-2005, 07:20 PM

Those people are idiots. Look at Ebert's track record.
He liked Boyz in the Hood, Barbershop, Malcolm X (has called it one of the best movies every made multiple times), Do the Right Thing, School Daze. Dude, he even liked Poetic Fucking Justice - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/poetic_justice/ I mean, 'Pac got himself killed just so he wouldn't have to see that movie again, but Ebert liked it.

Myth BUSTED!

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-09-2005, 07:22 PM

And many of those have still at least seen a comic or two over the years sitting on a stand at a gas station at least. As I've said before, just because a lot of people seeing the movie don't read it right now, doesn't mean they never have before.

Mister Mets
07-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Sometimes I love Elbert then there are times when I want to Pimp Slap him. This definitley deserves a Pimp Slap.

I agree completely.

Just sayin.

DrMachine
07-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Those people are idiots. Look at Ebert's track record.
He liked Boyz in the Hood, Barbershop, Malcolm X (has called it one of the best movies every made multiple times), Do the Right Thing, School Daze. Dude, he even liked Poetic Fucking Justice - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/poetic_justice/ I me, 'Pac got himself killed just so he wouldn't have to see that movie again, but Ebert liked it.

Myth BUSTED!

TOWARDS not against

it looks like the myth is supported

:lol:

Hil
07-09-2005, 07:25 PM
So then why he hating on FF? Tim Story stop returning his phone calls?

DrMachine
07-09-2005, 07:26 PM
So then why he hating on FF? Tim Story stop returning his phone calls?

I don't know anything about that, I was just asking a question of people who pay attention to the man

Who's Tim Story?

Angel of Distraction
07-09-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't know anything about that, I was just asking a question of people who pay attention to the man

Who's Tim Story?

The director.

sonnylarue
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Tim Story, who made his name on Barabershop, also directed FF.

So let me get this straight, Ebert is suspicious for liking too many black films, but Tarantino is a genius, because of HIS love of black films ?

Luke Cage
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
TOWARDS not against

it looks like the myth is supported

Well you do know that Ebert's wife is black don't you? And he's always been a strong supporter of Spike Lee's movies. Maybe 'Jungle Fever' was a nod to Ebert?

CONSPIRACY!!!!!

Seriously though, Fantastic Four was good but not much more than that in my opinion. And Ebert said 'Dark City' was one of the best movies of 1998, so that redeems him in my eyes.

DrMachine
07-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Well you do know that Ebert's wife is black don't you? And he's always been a strong supporter of Spike Lee's movies. Maybe 'Jungle Fever' was a nod to Ebert?

CONSPIRACY!!!!!

I bet it's the JEWS behind it all!!!!!

Jesus christ people chill the fuck out...I asked one question with no implications one way or another, all of you freaks read into it what you wanted

Hil
07-09-2005, 07:49 PM
So a black jew would be really fucking powerful. Sammy Davis Jr., the Jedi Knight of Hollywood.

DrMachine
07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
So a black jew would be really fucking powerful. Sammy Davis Jr., the Jedi Knight of Hollywood.

yes...except he'd have to have two eyes

LordKinbote
07-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Ebert has been a comic book fan all his life. When he said that Mr. Fantastic was just like the dad from The Incredibles, he was making a joke. One that obviously went over many heads.

I've been reading his reviews for years. That line was exactly the kind of wry, subtle humor he uses all the time (and has gotten confused letters about all the time as well).

Mark
07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Ebert has been a comic book fan all his life. When he said that Mr. Fantastic was just like the dad from The Incredibles, he was making a joke. One that obviously went over many heads.

I've been reading his reviews for years. That line was exactly the kind of wry, subtle humor he uses all the time (and has gotten confused letters about all the time as well).
Either that, or he's making a point about the fact that most of the moviegoing public will think this. Man, way to play exactly into the stereotype of the whiny fanboy, folks.

alexlannin
07-09-2005, 08:45 PM

Yes, and he enjoys movies that deal with Catholicism.

Bill?
07-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Not to go all Goddard on you guys, but its worth pointing out that Ebert is first and foremost a Movie geek. Not a comicís geek. He does try to judge movies just as movies, without going back to look at the source material. I would assume once he saw FF and decided he didnít like it, he lost any interest he might have had in going back and learning about the comic.

As far as the liking Black movies thing goes. Maybe he does. Thatís no crime. Maybe what he sees as African-American culture just appeals to him. He married a black woman too, you know. But I do remember how much shit he got for not liking Dairy of Mad Black Woman. To the point that he was called racist. I seem to remember he handled that pretty well, though.

Iím not trying to suck Ebertís dick here or anything I often donít even agree with his movie reviews. But cut him some slack. I bet if he wrote a positive review of the film, and still got details like that wrong, people wouldnít be bitching as much. Heís just a critic giving his opinion and its just a fucking movie. Get over it.

cmoney
07-09-2005, 09:33 PM

Read his one-star review of "Diary of a Mad Black Woman."

cmoney
07-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Just for a little perspective here too: Ebert's job is to review movies. My guess is the guy sees upwards of 400 movies a year. He talks about this in his "Bewitched" review. He does not have a lot of time for other things. In fact, when he reviewed "Bewitched", he admitted that he had never seen an episode of the TV show. If he's a bit muddled on specific comic character powers, you'll have to forgive him. He's got a job/hobby that requires a lot of his time. It doesn't necessarily negate his review. It's really not that great a flick. :)

Amos Moses
07-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Having spent three years as a videogame critic.

you lucky bastard.

cmoney
07-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Either that, or he's making a point about the fact that most of the moviegoing public will think this. Man, way to play exactly into the stereotype of the whiny fanboy, folks.

My sentiments exactly.

Angel of Distraction
07-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Just for a little perspective here too: Ebert's job is to review movies. My guess is the guy sees upwards of 400 movies a year. He talks about this in his "Bewitched" review. He does not have a lot of time for other things. In fact, when he reviewed "Bewitched", he admitted that he had never seen an episode of the TV show. If he's a bit muddled on specific comic character powers, you'll have to forgive him. He's got a job/hobby that requires a lot of his time. It doesn't necessarily negate his review. It's really not that great a flick. :)

You were right until the last sentence.

cmoney
07-09-2005, 09:45 PM
You were right until the last sentence.

Well, hey, that's a pretty good batting average then.

I've written briefly on it in other threads, but the main gist is I was completely underhwhelmed and am holding out hope for a better director for the sequel.

Angel of Distraction
07-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Well, hey, that's a pretty good batting average then.

I've written briefly on it in other threads, but the main gist is I was completely underhwhelmed and am holding out hope for a better director for the sequel.

Pshaw

FedEx Fanboy
07-10-2005, 04:02 AM
Yea, Ebert sucks...

Fantastic Four deserved a fucking 1/2 *, not an entire *.

What drugs are you people taking to make you think this film is actually humane to watch? 97.8% of all lab rats subjected to the FF movie died within hours of viewing it.