PDA

View Full Version : Gene Colan - RIP

Supreme Convoy
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about Gene Colan (http://thecliffordmethod.blogspot.com/2011/06/gene-colan-1926-2011.html). :(

Even in recent years with Captain America #601, he was a strong storyteller. The pencil variant is fantastic.

Still need to read Tomb of Dracula.

Humphrey_Lee
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Awww, fuck =(

Matthew Brown
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Damn...

michealdark
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Awwww

Ashwin Pande
06-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Terrible news. RIP.

Andrew
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Rest in peace. :(

Ashwin Pande
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Mark Evanier's eulogy. (http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2011_06_23.html#020849)

el_abuelo
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
very sad news. RIP :(

Slewo.O
06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Gene Colan is dead? This really sucks, RIP for what that's worth.

michealdark
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Gene-Colan-art-banner.jpg
http://www.heroinitiative.org/images/pool/Gene_Colan_Litho.jpg
http://funnybookfanatic.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/widowaa3.jpg?w=500&h=371

RIP Mr. Colan

TIP
06-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Dammit.

Adrian B AWESOME
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
:( Tomb of Dracula is the shit. I really wish I was able to get the omnibuses that were out a few years ago. My essentials rock but there's just something seeing Colan's work in color.

Brad N.
06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Well this sucks. RIP to a true legend.

Phantom Eagle
06-23-2011, 10:29 PM
He was my favorite Daredevil artist. I simply loved his work. His legacy lives on.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uuV6zd7TbT4/TRVl4ixzCBI/AAAAAAAAKSY/1HwqHqQr_Hs/s1600/CAFdd-stilt11.3.05.jpg

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/scans2/DD110_Radar.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GVUpFsG-_aA/SOi37ysM3mI/AAAAAAAAFu8/5VVD8WFl-XY/s400/Gene+Colan+4.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IpV86ZyXqlA/S822pC3iYoI/AAAAAAAABjc/I-N1eEUqq14/s1600/gene+colan+Doc+Strange+Thing+527094372_bb612d4064_ o.png

The Hodag
06-23-2011, 10:30 PM
One of the first artists I truly loved. :cry:

My older brother collected Tomb of Dracula in the 70s, so I grew up reading it and falling for Gene Colan's beautiful mixture of photorealism and Kirby dynamism. My brother's got two commissions from him: one of Blade and another of Dracula (in which both my brother's likeness and his wife's likeness appear, being menaced by Drac).

He also drew one of the first comics I ever brought from a store: an Avengers written by Jim Shooter that featured the villains, The Weathermen. Picked it up as one of those three-packs supermarkets used to sell.

He was pretty much instrumental in my love of comics.

Rest in Peace, Gene.

David Aspmo
06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
So sad to hear this.

These last several months, as part of efforts to raise money to pay for Gene's hospital bills, Clifford Meth was overseeing a deal where people could send in things for Gene to sign. Since it looked like there wasn't going to be any other opportunity (and, of course, since the money would be going to a good cause), I sent my Captain America Lives Omnibus and Daredevil Vol. 3 OHC (which contained the big Kingpin fight to which he contributed a panel) to be signed.

I just got them back and was going to send a thank you email tonight (via Clifford), but apparently even a week ago he wouldn't have been able to receive it. Guess I can be glad to have gotten the signatures, though.

JJ Fresh
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
RIP

Coupled with Phantom Eagle's post he's one of the only artists to actually make Stilt Man look menacing:

http://www.comicmix.com/media/2008/05/14/daredevil48.jpg

A legendary Marvel artist right there along with Kirby, Ditko, Romita, and Buscema. I hope Marvel gives him his due in their publications.

panco
06-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Sad news. RIP.

The Doctor
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
This really sucks, such a fantastic talent even up to recently

RIP

Greygor
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Shit, Colan's Iron Man, Cap, Dracula, Daredevil and Howard the Duck are my earliest memories of buying comics for the artist rather than the character.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IpV86ZyXqlA/S822ombyM-I/AAAAAAAABjU/kNOyGxU4WAo/s1600/gene+colan+BLADE.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IpV86ZyXqlA/S822p3f-9dI/AAAAAAAABjk/e8rwcic5h9I/s1600/gene+colan+w:daredevil_and_me_colan.jpg

Cactusakic
06-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Dammit.

Tomb of Dracula is the shit.

He was my favorite Daredevil artist. I simply loved his work.

This, this and this.
RIP.

Kurt Russell Crowe
06-24-2011, 12:55 AM
aw, no. :(

costello
06-24-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm glad he's now at peace.

Brother Power the Gong
06-24-2011, 02:46 AM
One of the best to ever take up the pencil. Tomb of Dracula remains one of my favorite runs by any artist. His Daredevil and Cap weren't bad, either.

RIP.

TIP
06-24-2011, 02:54 AM
My earliest memories of his art were from Howard the Duck. Sooo good.

Artie Pink
06-24-2011, 03:29 AM
:( Tomb of Dracula is the shit. I really wish I was able to get the omnibuses that were out a few years ago. My essentials rock but there's just something seeing Colan's work in color.

These are coming out in full color trades! Three volumes are out so far, here's volume 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Tomb-Dracula-1-Gerry-Conway/dp/0785143866/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1308914889&sr=8-6)!

Artie Pink
06-24-2011, 03:32 AM
I could never "get" Gene's art as a kid. But just in the last couple years, I've really grown to love him. I'm really enjoying his work in various Marvel Masterworks and the 80's and 90's back issues I've been tracking down. I'm glad Marvel did right by Gene these last few years. Gene's recent Captain America issue (mentioned above) was also published in black & white, no extra price.

Artie Pink
06-24-2011, 03:33 AM
RIP

Coupled with Phantom Eagle's post he's one of the only artists to actually make Stilt Man look menacing:

http://www.comicmix.com/media/2008/05/14/daredevil48.jpg

A legendary Marvel artist right there along with Kirby, Ditko, Romita, and Buscema. I hope Marvel gives him his due in their publications.

Er, does the neon sign at the bottom of that cover seem to say "ASSPAIN"?! :lol:

TIP
06-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Er, does the neon sign at the bottom of that cover seem to say "ASSPAIN"?! :lol:

It sure does!
:lol:

Fourthman
06-24-2011, 03:39 AM
RiP

Trey Krimsin
06-24-2011, 03:42 AM
I was not exposed to Gene Colan's Marvel work until I was an adult. What I knew him for was his Batman and Detective Comics work back in the '80's. Even as a eight or nine year old kid, I recognized the tone and the fluidity of Colan's pencils. Colan's work did have that dynamic that Jack Kirby's work had, but there was a gracefulness to that work. Every pose Batman, the first Jason Todd as Robin, Nocturna, The Night Slayer and other characters were placed in seemed to be very graceful and natural to the character. Gene Colan was one of the first artists that I recognized immediately and would pick up an issue because he was the penciller.

His death is a tremendous loss to the comics medium and I know he will be truly missed. In his honor, I'm pulling out a few Batman and Detectives and will read a few of them tonight or as many as I can before I fall asleep with an open comic book in my hands.

Marc Lombardi
06-24-2011, 03:57 AM
When you talk about Legends in Comics, you're talking about Gene Colan. He will certainly be missed.

Andrew j
06-24-2011, 04:05 AM
He leaves a lot of great work behind.

dEnny!
06-24-2011, 04:20 AM
I truly loved seeing his work and was excited when he came back to work on DD#100 and Cap #601.

I proudly own a copy of Iron Man #1 and a Dracula Sketch Card...his art is beautiful.

Rick America
06-24-2011, 04:42 AM
So very sad...he was always the "base" artist whose style I found myself returning to over and over again...I would get attracted to new/different styles, but as I got more accustomed to those newer styles, I found myself coming back to and appreciating aspects of Gene's work I never noticed before...go back to his original Dr. Strange work (first with Roy Thomas and later with Steve Engelhart where he followed Frank Brunner) and you will see real genius at work...the fact that this same style that worked so well in horror (Dracula) and mystic/magic (Dr. Strange) worked just as well in pure superhero genre (Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Man, Avengers) is a pure testament to his talent.

By the way, do not read the above as a slight to any of today's (or yesterday's) artists. To the contrary, it is more a testament to Mr. Colan's talent.

Thank you, Gene. You brought much enjoyment and delight to my life.

Dan
06-24-2011, 04:43 AM
That sucks.

I bought all those ToD and Howard the Duck essentials specifically because Colan's art looks so great in black and white.

dEnny!
06-24-2011, 05:00 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/dEnny_233/GeneColan_Dracula0001.jpg

Girlfriend In A Coma
06-24-2011, 05:09 AM
His is one of those few names that just means comics to me. That's so very sad. He'll be missed and admired. RIP

The Clone Ranger
06-24-2011, 05:27 AM
I just read the novel Dracula a couple of weeks ago, and despite Stoker's descriptions of the Count, all I could picture mentally was Colan's Dracula. RIP.

Benel Germosen
06-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Gene Colan was awesome.

JHester
06-24-2011, 06:12 AM
R.I.P. Gene, your talent will be sorely missed. Thank you for the years of entertainment you provided. Thoughts and prayers to his Family and Friends.

RickLM
06-24-2011, 06:23 AM
I started reading Marvel in the mid-70s and bought a lot of books he worked on. His work was just beautiful, page after page. And from the interviews I've heard he seemed like a great human being.

Jef UK
06-24-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm so glad we got that recent, wonderful Captain America issue.

Thank you, Gene Colan.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-24-2011, 07:11 AM
I think my first intro to Gene Colan's work was his Black Panther story in Marvel Comics Presents. It blew my mind. Then my Dad showed me his Tomb of Dracula stuff and it scared the hell out of me. I remember asking - "Dad, How does he paint with a pencil?!?" I spent many months doing bad pencil drawings and smearing/smudging to imitate Gene's work. Whenever he did an issue of Wolverine or Daredevil it was a treat. I loved the older work, but NEW Colan work always excited me. And I won't get that anymore. This pales in comparaison to the loss experienced by his family and friends. They have my sympathies and prayers. Thank you Gene.

bstie1198
06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
And the industry looses another giant. RIP, Gene.

Howlett
06-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Gene was never one of my favourite "older artist" when I was growing up, but as I got older, I really started to appreciate just how good he was back then, and still was in the present. I remember seeing him working on a Daredevil picture during the interviews with various DD creators on the Daredevil movie special features disc and I was amazed at how detailed he was still. I kept thinking "Christ, there are a good few artists today that get away with murder when it comes to delays and just barely match that level of detail, and here he is STILL drawing as detailed as he used to, and he could still get issues out on a fairly timely basis!". He was definitely one of the few creators I genuinely believe deserves to be called a legend in the industry, and he will be missed.

R.I.P. Mr. Colan!

Spidey616
06-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Another legend passes away

:surrend:

The Zevad
06-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Damn it. His art was/is gorgeous! I loved it from the 1st moment I got a reprint of an old Daredevil comic my friend Chad gave me in 1987. Damn it.

You sir are a legend. Rest in Peace Mr. Eugene "Gene" Colon. Rest In Peace.

artimoff
06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I was not exposed to Gene Colan's Marvel work until I was an adult. What I knew him for was his Batman and Detective Comics work back in the '80's. Even as a eight or nine year old kid, I recognized the tone and the fluidity of Colan's pencils. Colan's work did have that dynamic that Jack Kirby's work had, but there was a gracefulness to that work. Every pose Batman, the first Jason Todd as Robin, Nocturna, The Night Slayer and other characters were placed in seemed to be very graceful and natural to the character. Gene Colan was one of the first artists that I recognized immediately and would pick up an issue because he was the penciller.

His death is a tremendous loss to the comics medium and I know he will be truly missed. In his honor, I'm pulling out a few Batman and Detectives and will read a few of them tonight or as many as I can before I fall asleep with an open comic book in my hands.

I love those comics.

RIP, Gene.

Generic Poster
06-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Shit, Colan's Iron Man, Cap, Dracula, Daredevil and Howard the Duck are my earliest memories of buying comics for the artist rather than the character.

Same here, Greygor. Very sad news indeed.

Gryphon
06-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Fuck. This is a great loss for comics.

HomerGator
06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Terrible news.

I was fortunate enough to not only meet, but have a reasonably lengthy conversation with him at Megacon a few years back. My buddy Andy commissioned a Ghost Rider drawing, and gave him a reprint of Johnny Blaze's first appearance for reference, since Mr. Colan said he had never drawn Ghost Rider, that he could remember.

Like six weeks later there was a huge, fully penciled, highly detailed Ghost Rider on his wall. As far as we know, it's the only Gene Colan drawing of Ghost Rider in existence.

Mark4myself
06-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm saddened to hear this. Just recently read his issue of Captain American in the latest Brubaker Omnibus and Gene still had it.

He was a pioneer in comics and a name many within the industry cite. As this news hit me I'm actually waiting for the first two "Tomb of Dracula" Omnibii to reach me, one via trade and one via purchase. When I have then in my hands I'll treasure the work all that much more. You'll be missed Gene and thank you for all your contributions over your lifetime.

Cth
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I posted about the garage sale a few months back, sad to hear the news.

Anyways, an update:

In Lieu of Flowers, Please...

Following earlier discussions with Gene, and this morning with his daughter Nanci, I am setting up the Gene Colan Scholarship at the Joe Kubert School.

In lieu of flowers and such, if you would like to contribute to this scholarship in Gene’s memory, please make your check payable to “Joe Kubert School” and mail it to my attention:

Gene Colan Scholarship c/o Clifford Meth
179-9 Rt. 46 West
Rockaway, NJ 07866.

All checks will be delivered to Mike Chen, the school’s coordinator.

hamgravy
06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Cheers to one of the greats.

dEnny!
06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm so glad we got that recent, wonderful Captain America issue.

Thank you, Gene Colan.

Eisner Award Winning issue!

Caley Tibbittz
06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Absolutely one of my favorites ever, and I haven't even seen much of his stuff.

He drew some German spy slayer for some Buffy book and the backup in Stan Lee's Wonder Woman. I think this is all I have of his, and I was SHOCKED to find out how old he was when he drew these -- they have the creative verve and vibrant energy of a man many, many years younger. So absolutely sharp and in his prime even in very late work, and it just looked like he loved to draw.

To never have another page of his ever produced is a great loss.

Trey Krimsin
06-24-2011, 06:39 PM
We all have heard about his renditions on Batman, Daredevil, Blade, Dracula, Iron Man and a few others. However, from all the comic media outlets I've seen, I haven't heard much about Gene Colan's brief run on Wonder Woman. Any opinions on that run from the early to mid eighties?

And what about his earlier issues of Captain America? I know I have one issue with Colan art with Cap in a castle. It was a creepy issue and was fantastic from what I remember of it.

Patch
06-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Just a heartache to hear of this. I love his work so much.

MACK!
06-24-2011, 11:56 PM
I loved his work since I was a kid. He was very kind to me at a convention in Chicago, coming by my table with his wife and talking art with me for a while. We even talked Daredevil. He was very kind and thoughtful and a real gem of a person as well as a wonderful creator.

Here is a photo someone took of us in Chicago:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/David-Mack/21231086294

Just heard a mention of Gene Colan on the mainstream radio news byte. Saying his career spanning 7 decades & discussing his career. I liked hearing that. That he made the mainstream radio news.

Do you remember that book Nathaniel Dusk where the book is printed with just his pencils, no inks? I marveled over that as a kid. He had such a unique approach with pencils. A legend that gave so much.

Artie Pink
06-25-2011, 03:26 AM
We all have heard about his renditions on Batman, Daredevil, Blade, Dracula, Iron Man and a few others. However, from all the comic media outlets I've seen, I haven't heard much about Gene Colan's brief run on Wonder Woman. Any opinions on that run from the early to mid eighties?

And what about his earlier issues of Captain America? I know I have one issue with Colan art with Cap in a castle. It was a creepy issue and was fantastic from what I remember of it.

I for one quite enjoyed his WW run! I thought it started off very strong. It has a very soft quality to the art, the inker did a good job of keeping the pencilled quality. There's a three-issue story featuring many of DC's female heroes - that's pretty fun to look at, and a good place to check out his work on the title. I also liked the first two issues - the preview in DC Comics Presents, and his first issue in the Wonder Woman title proper. First appearance of WW's new costume, too!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HGHxpUhDKRs/TO_cDbOquYI/AAAAAAAAFNc/oTLpXrtk-Lw/s1600/ASZDASD.jpg

Andreas
06-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Do you remember that book Nathaniel Dusk where the book is printed with just his pencils, no inks? I marveled over that as a kid. He had such a unique approach with pencils. A legend that gave so much.

Harlan Ellison's Dream Corridor Vol. 2 (http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=87988) has the 14-page story "Moonlighting" by him that is printed in pencils on one side and in a colored and lettered version on the opposing side.

Gene Colan's classic The Tomb of Dracula #10 (http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=22530) (1973), the issue that introduced Blade, is among my earliest comic memories.

Gene Colan will be remembered as a true master of the field. My heartfelt condolensces to his family, relatives and friends.

Kelly Tindall
06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I hated Colan's work as a child, and now I intensely regret how obviously stupid I was. He could do moody and dreamlike better than almost anyone else in the business. Sorry, Mr. Colan, you deserved more than you got from me.

Trey Krimsin
06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Kelly, a lot of comic fans respond that way initially to Jack Kirby, Gene Colan and a few of contemporaries. That style for some reason did not respond to a lot of young comic readers. I guess I was one of the few exceptions that was drawn to Kirby's and Colan's artwork as soon as I saw their work. Appreciation of their work later is your life is much greater than no appreciation whatsoever.

Sometime, I will have to check out the Nathaniel Dusk comic and his run on Wonder Woman. DC is putting out a hardcover of some of his work on Batman. I may have to make some room on my bookshelf for it.

Caley Tibbittz
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I hated Colan's work as a child, and now I intensely regret how obviously stupid I was. He could do moody and dreamlike better than almost anyone else in the business. Sorry, Mr. Colan, you deserved more than you got from me.

I hated Kirby, once upon a time. It's okay.

Patch
06-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Just heard a mention of Gene Colan on the mainstream radio news byte. Saying his career spanning 7 decades & discussing his career. I liked hearing that. That he made the mainstream radio news.

Gene Colan would have been about 12 when Superman and Batman debuted. He certainly must have seen and experienced American comics like few others ever have.
I remember Nathaniel Dusk, around that time he was also drawing a very moody book, reminiscent of Tomb of Dracula, called Night Force. Great looking book. In one of the issues they ran copies of his penciled pages in the back. A rare sight-- and the images were awe-inspiring.

Foolish Mortal
06-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Comic Book Industry Remembers Legend GENE COLAN (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/comic-industry-remembers-gene-colan-110624.html)

It's a nicely put together piece where various pros talk about their favorite Colan work and how it influenced them.