PDA

View Full Version : Hitchens vs Mamet

Shane W
06-20-2011, 04:12 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/books/review/book-review-the-secret-knowledge-by-david-mamet.html?_r=3

This is an extraordinarily irritating book, written by one of those people who smugly believe that, having lost their faith, they must ipso facto have found their reason. In order to be persuaded by it, you would have to be open to propositions like this:
Enlarge This Image

“Part of the left’s savage animus against Sarah Palin is attributable to her status not as a woman, neither as a Conservative, but as a Worker.”

Prime
06-20-2011, 04:24 AM
if only someone had posted this in the Mamet book thread... (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?144429-David-Mamet-Essay-Why-I-Am-No-Longer-a-Brain-Dead-Liberal/page7)

(PS it was me :D)

cmoney
06-20-2011, 05:12 AM
Mamet was clearly batting out of his league here, and someone from the majors called him on it.

stevapalooza
06-20-2011, 05:13 AM
It's interesting how we will overlook a person's flaws if they happen to be on the same page as us politically. For conservatives Mamet used to be a moron, but now is suddenly a born again genius because he agrees with them. And for liberals he used to be smart, but now he's a raving idiot because he no longer agrees with them. In reality he's just always been an idiot, at least as far as politics goes. He was an idiot liberal, and now he's an idiot conservative. All he did was change uniforms.

RickLM
06-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Hitchens defended the Bush Doctrine, and now it appears Mamet would probably do so as well. I think we should lock both their egos in a room and see which one survives.

cmoney
06-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Hitchens defended the Bush Doctrine, and now it appears Mamet would probably do so as well. I think we should lock both their egos in a room and see which one survives.

Not quite that simple. Try giving his memoir, Hitch-22, a read. Hitchens has consistently been on the side of oppressed peoples. He does not give Bush a pass, but having been to Iraq and seen firsthand what Sadaam's rule there did to the people, Hitchens definitely thought he had to go. It's one of the longest chapters in the book, and definitely worth the read.

Matt Jay
06-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Mamet was clearly batting out of his league here, and someone from the majors called him on it.

Well put.

stevapalooza
06-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Not quite that simple. Try giving his memoir, Hitch-22, a read. Hitchens has consistently been on the side of oppressed peoples. He does not give Bush a pass, but having been to Iraq and seen firsthand what Sadaam's rule there did to the people, Hitchens definitely thought he had to go. It's one of the longest chapters in the book, and definitely worth the read.

Yeah, Hitchens is definitely his own man. He follows his mind and his conscience, not party lines. If he agrees with you he'll say so, but if he disagrees he'll bash you just as quickly. That takes a lot of guts, to speak your mind even when it might alienate people who are on your side. Most pundits will just play it safe by pandering to their base.