PDA

View Full Version : Jaime Reyes The Blue Beetle Comic Discussion

dEnny!
06-18-2011, 06:23 AM
So I'm reading through my issues. I really have a fondness for this character due to his inclusion in the Batman The Brave and the Bold series on Cartoon Network.

I just finished #7, a little embarrassed that I don't think I'd read past the first couple of issues yet own the first 24 (maybe I should be even more embarrassed I'm reading a 5 year old book), and really enjoyed reading how Jaime helped against Brother Eye and the OMAC's and seeing where he was the last year.

I really enjoy the Cully Hamner illustrated issues; a shame he couldn't consistently illustrate the book having fill in artists for #3, 5, and 6. Really looking forward to Albuquerque coming on board based on his American Vampire work.

The character will get a little tricky to keep up with once he is the co-feature in Booster Gold, did they ever collect that story?

Ego Lives!
06-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Yeah, they collected it here: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Beetle-Black-Will-Pfeifer/dp/1401228976/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1308408137&sr=8-1

I loved this series, can't wait for the relaunch. I jumped in right in the middle of the story with Metron, and hung on until I had to stop buying for a bit when it went into the backups (monetary issues). I remember being a little thrown by both Giffen and Hamner leaving the book soon after I jumped on, but Albuquerque does such a great job, you may want to take a little break when they switch out artists to adjust.

Matthew Brown
06-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah, they collected it here: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Beetle-Black-Will-Pfeifer/dp/1401228976/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1308408137&sr=8-1

I loved this series, can't wait for the relaunch. I jumped in right in the middle of the story with Metron, and hung on until I had to stop buying for a bit when it went into the backups (monetary issues). I remember being a little thrown by both Giffen and Hamner leaving the book soon after I jumped on, but Albuquerque does such a great job, you may want to take a little break when they switch out artists to adjust.

Someone buy me this! Jaime Reyes stories I've never read.

dEnny!
06-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Someone buy me this! Jaime Reyes stories I've never read.

My shop was running a sale, sadly this book wasn't available.

Benel Germosen
06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Oh man. I do remember bitching at people for failing to read this book.

artimoff
06-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Jaime is the best "new" DC character of the last 10 years. I wish they would do more with the crime boss aunt.

evilgenius
06-18-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm not a big DC fan. But this series was a great jump-on point and grand overall, and I was really sad to see it go.

dEnny!
06-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Jaime is the best "new" DC character of the last 10 years. I wish they would do more with the crime boss aunt.

I may just have to agree with this.

bradical
06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
never read any comics with him in them, but if he's anything like the character presented in the brave and the bold tv series, i'd check him out. he's a fun character in the show and would seem to have a lot of good stories to him.

Slewo.O
06-19-2011, 05:21 PM
never read any comics with him in them, but if he's anything like the character presented in the brave and the bold tv series, i'd check him out. he's a fun character in the show and would seem to have a lot of good stories to him.

He's pretty much the same as he is in the comics. The only difference is that his Scarab weapons are a bit more crazy in the cartoon.

RegularJoe
06-19-2011, 05:33 PM
issue #17 is fantastic. a great super-hero story and a great batman cameo, minor as it is.

dEnny!
06-19-2011, 06:36 PM

I've found that I use the characters voice from the cartoon for when I read the comics. It really helped bring the character to life for me. I think you'd enjoy the comics.

dEnny!
06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
issue #17 is fantastic. a great super-hero story and a great batman cameo, minor as it is.

Only 4 issues away.

Zack_Hunter
06-19-2011, 10:10 PM
The fact that the book lasted 36 issues, had Jon Rogers/Keith Giffen and Matt Sturgess all on it as writers and is asily a cult favorite should tell people they'd be foolish not to read it.

I easily think Tony Bedard is a perfect fit to be taking over the new incarnation of Jaime's life.

Slewo.O
06-19-2011, 10:54 PM
The fact that the book lasted 36 issues, had Jon Rogers/Keith Giffen and Matt Sturgess all on it as writers and is asily a cult favorite should tell people they'd be foolish not to read it.

I easily think Tony Bedard is a perfect fit to be taking over the new incarnation of Jaime's life.

I'm hoping he somehow incorporates Vril Dox and L.E.G.I.O.N into it. :)

capntightpants
06-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm trying to collect his books in TPB format, but stupid DC decided not to number them. It's difficult for me to figure out what happened when.

artimoff
06-20-2011, 10:35 AM
In the indica it tells you what issues the trades reprint.

capntightpants
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
In the indica it tells you what issues the trades reprint.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the word "Indica", but I assume you mean the back part of the book. I don't think it did say the issues, but I'll have to look at it when I get home. Amazon has the book orders, though.

dEnny!
06-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm trying to collect his books in TPB format, but stupid DC decided not to number them. It's difficult for me to figure out what happened when.

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/

THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 1: SHELLSHOCKED Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 2: ROAD TRIP Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 3: REACH FOR THE STARS Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 4: ENDGAME Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 5: BOUNDARIES Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE: BLACK AND BLUE Softcover

dEnny!
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
I just read the issue where he meets the Teen Titans and fights Lobo; fun comic.

capntightpants
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/

THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 1: SHELLSHOCKED Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 2: ROAD TRIP Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 3: REACH FOR THE STARS Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 4: ENDGAME Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE VOL. 5: BOUNDARIES Softcover
THE BLUE BEETLE: BLACK AND BLUE Softcover

Thanks!

I was referring more to when you're actually just out shopping, but with the wonders of the internet phone, I no longer have an excuse. :)

But seriously, before when I was digging through bargain bins at cons, I didn't know which ones to grab.

Zack_Hunter
06-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Knowing Tony...there's about a 50/50 chance that will happen.

Ray G.
06-27-2011, 10:31 AM

I'd bet they show up in GLC instead.

dEnny!
06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks!

I was referring more to when you're actually just out shopping, but with the wonders of the internet phone, I no longer have an excuse. :)

But seriously, before when I was digging through bargain bins at cons, I didn't know which ones to grab.

I completely agree. But if you number the volumes then people won't buy #2 or 4 unless they own the originals right?

capntightpants
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I completely agree. But if you number the volumes then people won't buy #2 or 4 unless they own the originals right?

Yeah, I get that reasoning. I had the same problem with Morrison's Batman books though, and I really wanted to read that thing in order. I only got a smartphone recently, so now I can look those up. But a year or two ago? If I wanted to know what to buy, I'd have to make a list before I went out. They lost out on my impulse buys!