PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] Breaking Bad - Final Season - August 11, 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Mwstattel
06-17-2011, 03:52 PM
It's about mother-fucking time!!! I can't be the only one that's pumped. For those of you that haven't seen it this article has some advice on how to catch up.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Breaking-Bad-Season-4-Poster-How-Get-Caught-Up-Season-Premiere-32723.html

My advice: take some time in the next month and watch all three of the previous seasons.

Nelson
06-17-2011, 05:20 PM
:rock:

LenNWallace
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Got season 3 on Blu-Ray this week. Looking forward after the long, long wait to see what happens next.

Mwstattel
06-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Season 4 trailer:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/get-ready-for-breaking-bad-season-4

Garth
06-17-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm going back and rewatching all the seasons. Great great stuff.

RickLM
06-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I can't wait. This show strings you along in the best way, to where you're desperate to see what happens next. Waiting between seasons is hard.

JJ Fresh
06-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I've purchased the third season and have been watching an episode a day to prep for the latest one. Now that Game of Thrones is ending, this'll be a nice replacement for my Sundays. What a great, great television show.

(akaRyanHoffman)
06-17-2011, 09:16 PM
How many seasons do think this will end up being?

I'm thinking five.

Kefky
06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I hope that this is still going to be the last season, like the creator of the show originally intended. This is the kind of show that would benefit from being short.

(akaRyanHoffman)
06-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I hope that this is still going to be the last season, like the creator of the show originally intended. This is the kind of show that would benefit from being short.

for sure. Though I have a feeling this won't be the last season...

Fourthman
06-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Love this show, one of the best. Season 2 finale still sucked though.

Sy-Klone
06-18-2011, 04:57 AM
I thought Season 1 was great, but short. Season 2 meandered a little bit. But Season 3 blew the damn doors off. Those last two episodes are among the best television that I watched last year.

:rock:

cmoney
06-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Not a show currently on television that I enjoy more. Can't wait for the new season.

LenNWallace
06-18-2011, 05:08 AM

I'm thinking five.

Five's a nice number for a show like this, although I wouldn't say no to a sixth, or even seventh season, if the writers could still stretch things a bit more.

Garth
06-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Like most shows, it should end sooner rather than later. I'd prefer it conclude without it starting to suck.

Mwstattel
06-18-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm thinking five.

Probably five or so. It will not end well.

Deej
06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm working my way through season 2 right now.

Mwstattel
06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Love this show, one of the best. Season 2 finale still sucked though.

I loved the end of season 2. Walter really turned the corner.

Mwstattel
06-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm working my way through season 2 right now.

I'd be weary of spoilers in the thread if I were you.

(akaRyanHoffman)
06-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Five's a nice number for a show like this, although I wouldn't say no to a sixth, or even seventh season, if the writers could still stretch things a bit more.

Man, I really hope we don't get any wheel-spinning from this show. It's been damn-near perfect so far.

LenNWallace
06-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Man, I really hope we don't get any wheel-spinning from this show. It's been damn-near perfect so far.

Agreed, but one thing I've come to appreciate about the writers on this show has been their ability to stretch the story without making it spin its wheels.

The Governor
06-19-2011, 03:57 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that season four was the last... I'll try and dig out a link...

Mwstattel
06-19-2011, 04:11 AM

I have a lot of faith the they will end it when it needs to end.

RickLM
06-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that season four was the last... I'll try and dig out a link...

Oh dear, I'm not sure I can handle that.

Ashwin Pande
06-19-2011, 08:42 AM
I've said it before. The only satisfactory ending for me is if the last scene is Walter White packing a suitcase full of chemicals and meth into a pick-up truck and driving down to Gotham City.

hamgravy
06-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I have a lot of faith the they will end it when it needs to end.

Exactly. I agree with the earlier sentiment that the end of Season 2 relied on happenstance in a way that didn't jibe with the rest of why I admire this show but otherwise, my favorite TV since The Wire by creators I trust and respect.

Outside of the standard laudable traits (acting, writing, shooting) I also think it's the best visual storytelling and use of visual metaphors on TV.

Fourthman
06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I loved the end of season 2. Walter really turned the corner.

Yeah, so did the show. From being a series grounded in realism to a near religious commentary. It's one thing to use season long foreshadowing to foster a sense of dread in your audience, it's another to deliberately confound their expectations (for simply the sake of doing so) with details that don't pay off (the bunny) and a cataclysm so unlikely that the reason no one had predicted it, is because it crossed the boundaries of established plausibility.

As of the season 3 finale, no decision has been made as to whether or not 4 is the final season. As the scripts for the season are probably complete, I'm guessing they'd know for sure by now.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/vince-gilligan,42064/

Mwstattel
06-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Exactly. I agree with the earlier sentiment that the end of Season 2 relied on happenstance in a way that didn't jibe with the rest of why I admire this show but otherwise, my favorite TV since The Wire by creators I trust and respect.

Outside of the standard laudable traits (acting, writing, shooting) I also think it's the best visual storytelling and use of visual metaphors on TV.

What helps me not worry is when they stopped production on the first season they just ended the season instead of trying to manufacture a series finale where it didn't belong (I.e. what Heroes did). I imagine when the time comes they can create a natural ending.

Mwstattel
06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, so did the show. From being a series grounded in realism to a near religious commentary. It's one thing to use season long foreshadowing to foster a sense of dread in your audience, it's another to deliberately confound their expectations (for simply the sake of doing so) with details that don't pay off (the bunny) and a cataclysm so unlikely that the reason no one had predicted it, is because it crossed the boundaries of established plausibility.

The foreshadowing and sense of dread is still there. What exactly happened that wasn't plausible?

hamgravy
06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
The foreshadowing and sense of dread is still there. What exactly happened that wasn't plausible?

The coincidence of meeting Jessie's girlfriend's dad and the net result of all of their actions resulting in that cataclysm.

Mwstattel
06-19-2011, 01:11 PM
The coincidence of meeting Jessie's girlfriend's dad and the net result of all of their actions resulting in that cataclysm.

Yeah. I can see that. But for me it wasn't so outlandish that it ruined anything for me.

Fourthman
06-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah. I can see that. But for me it wasn't so outlandish that it ruined anything for me.

That's fine (obviously), but for many, including hamgravy (I'm guessing) and myself, the foreshadowing to an event that's so circuitously and infinitesimally connected to the main events of the narrative is so moralistic and preposterous, it makes people feel that there was nothing to dread in the first place. If they're going to foreshadow an event for an entire season, one likes to think that the payoff is more than merely philosophical for the characters. But it's all good, it's one of the best shows ever, and as such, I feel it makes its one big misstep that much more obvious.

Mwstattel
06-19-2011, 02:02 PM
That's fine (obviously), but for many, including hamgravy (I'm guessing) and myself, the foreshadowing to an event that's so circuitously and infinitesimally connected to the main events of the narrative is so moralistic and preposterous, it makes people feel that there was nothing to dread in the first place. If they're going to foreshadow an event for an entire season, one likes to think that the payoff is more than merely philosophical for the characters. But it's all good, it's one of the best shows ever, and as such, I feel it makes its one big misstep that much more obvious.

I guess we just differ. I like the philosophical payoff. So much stuff nowadays beats you over the head with with it's point.

RickLM
06-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm rewatching Season 2 now. Tell me Tuco isn't one of the greatest TV characters ever.

One of the few things that bugs me slightly is Walt's inability to lie effectively to Skyler about his absences. It seems like, with cancer, he could have played up the "need to be alone/meditate in Santa Fe" thing and get away with being out. Or maybe invent some lie about taking up golf. He needed a better cover story for how much time he needed to be away.

Fourthman
06-20-2011, 02:38 AM
I guess we just differ. I like the philosophical payoff. So much stuff nowadays beats you over the head with with it's point.

Not to belabor this, but arguably, going for a philosophical payoff is the very definition of beating the audience over the head with the point. That's the very heart of the criticism.

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Not to belabor this, but arguably, going for a philosophical payoff is the very definition of beating the audience over the head with the point. That's the very heart of the criticism.

More than a direct payoff? I don't think so.

Ashwin Pande
06-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Did anyone else think that the writing in Season 1 wasn't as good as Season 2? I mean in season 1 you had all these long drawn out scenes that sometimes went on for five minutes or even longer and were just talking heads. Some of that got very tedious for me.

And I agree with Fourthman that the climax of Season 2 was a cheat. I get what they were going for but doing it in the way they did it was a cheat.

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 03:20 AM
Did anyone else think that the writing in Season 1 wasn't as good as Season 2? I mean in season 1 you had all these long drawn out scenes that sometimes went on for five minutes or even longer and were just talking heads. Some of that got very tedious for me.

And I agree with Fourthman that the climax of Season 2 was a cheat. I get what they were going for but doing it in the way they did it was a cheat.

I can see that. With a short first season they probably had a lot to say with little time and were forced to be more efficient. Where in the second season, which is essentially just an extension of the first they probably had more time to meander.

Fourthman
06-20-2011, 03:51 AM
More than a direct payoff? I don't think so.

A more subtle direct payoff? Any subtlety whatsoever? Absolutely.

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 04:34 AM
A more subtle direct payoff? Any subtlety whatsoever? Absolutely.

Ok. How should it have played out in your opinion?

hamgravy
06-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Ok. How should it have played out in your opinion?

I would have preferred if they hadn't sought to construct that meta-arc at all. There's already room for believable collateral damage to the characters actions without overreaching for a spectacular body count that is earned largely by coincidence.

Look to The Wire for human failings (an undelivered message, uninvited aid) that set off believable season-changing chain reactions. The result in S2 of Bb ranged between poignant and cartoonish, leaning a little heavy on the cartoon doink hammer.

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 05:08 AM
I would have preferred if they hadn't sought to construct that meta-arc at all. There's already room for believable collateral damage to the characters actions without overreaching for a spectacular body count that is earned largely by coincidence.

Look to The Wire for human failings (an undelivered message, uninvited aid) that set off believable season-changing chain reactions. The result in S2 of Bb ranged between poignant and cartoonish, leaning a little heavy on the cartoon doink hammer.

Yeah. For some reason the coincidence didn't take me out of the story the way it might of with other shows or films. BB definitely did not have the subtlety of season 4 of the Wire but it wasn't overly cartoonish to me either.

hamgravy
06-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Yeah. For some reason the coincidence didn't take me out of the story the way it might of with other shows or films. BB definitely did not have the subtlety of season 4 of the Wire but it wasn't overly cartoonish to me either.

And I still love the show. This was just one aspect of it that paid off in a manner that I don't turn to this show for.

Is this the new de facto Breaking Bad thread? I haven't discussed the show here before...

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 05:25 AM
And I still love the show. This was just one aspect of it that paid off in a manner that I don't turn to this show for.

Is this the new de facto Breaking Bad thread? I haven't discussed the show here before...

I've been looking to talk about the show and the upcoming season. I didn't see a thread so I started one. Whether it's the new de facto or not remains to be seen.

Fourthman
06-20-2011, 05:29 AM
I've been looking to talk about the show and the upcoming season. I didn't see a thread so I started one. Whether it's the new de facto or not remains to be seen.

I'll continue to post here on season 4 if everyone else does.

hamgravy
06-20-2011, 05:30 AM

Sure enough.

Side note - did you see that the BB Facebook page spoiled the end of last season in a post that garnered over 2,000 replies?

Shout out to the character actors playing Gale and Mike for adding new layers to the show.

hamgravy
06-20-2011, 05:31 AM

Boom.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/hamgravy_photos/254419_10150217349892722_6798562721_6986452_616727 2_n.jpg

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Sure enough.

Side note - did you see that the BB Facebook page spoiled the end of last season in a post that garnered over 2,000 replies?

Shout out to the character actors playing Gale and Mike for adding new layers to the show.

Mike is a great character!

Walt: "I'm going to need some kind of assurance."

Mike: "I assure you I can kill you from this distance."

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 05:36 AM

Same here.

hamgravy
06-20-2011, 05:40 AM

Like I said earlier, I'm a sucker for strong visual devices. Mike and the balloons is high on that list.

Fourthman
06-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Sure enough.

Are you talking about the poll? I mean it spoils the final event, but the actual outcome is still up in the air (no matter how much I'd appreciate it being final, as in "laid to rest").

Fourthman
06-20-2011, 05:42 AM

Love that actor ever since Wiseguy. The dude has played a lead henchman since the early 80's.

hamgravy
06-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Are you talking about the poll? I mean it spoils the final event, but the actual outcome is still up in the air (no matter how much I'd appreciate it being final, as in "laid to rest").

True - but it's still a huge detail to have in the subject of a post, especially for new fans of the series. And, a good number of posters felt that way.

Mwstattel
06-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Vince Gilligan described what happened in an interview shortly after the season ended. I won't post the link for the people want the be surprised.

Fourthman
06-20-2011, 05:47 AM
True - but it's still a huge detail to have in the subject of a post, especially for new fans of the series. And, a good number of posters felt that way.

Agreed.

hamgravy
06-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Last post for now - I would definitely recommend the Breaking Bad Insider Podcast hosted by Vince and one of the editors (blanking on her name right now) for any fan of the show.

Nelson
06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Roof pizza!

:ecstatic:

Fourthman
06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
BAM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugqO3rrP50

JJ Fresh
06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Roof pizza!

:ecstatic:

They have an extra on the S3 set entitled "Pizza of Destiny" talking of only that scene. Hilarious, and it happened on the first take too!

800:cool:

hamgravy
06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
They have an extra on the S3 set entitled "Pizza of Destiny" talking of only that scene. Hilarious, and it happened on the first take too!

Awesome.

Michael Blacklist
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM

The scene where Mike asserted himself over Saul was pretty great, too.

Nelson
06-21-2011, 05:13 PM

I just watched that yesterday. :)

Mwstattel
06-21-2011, 05:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_GbFMtPF6I

That's pretty amazing

Prime
06-27-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

Garth
06-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Last post for now - I would definitely recommend the Breaking Bad Insider Podcast hosted by Vince and one of the editors (blanking on her name right now) for any fan of the show.

Thanks for posting this. I am watching in conjunction to listening to each podcast! Its pretty awesome. Though I have to admit that Vince's accent kind of annoys the hell out of me.

JJ Fresh
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_GbFMtPF6I

That's pretty amazing

That's one of like four videos of that particular scene, so I guess I'm not the only guy who enjoyed the pizza on the roof.

This is why Brian Cranston got his latest Emmy.

hamgravy
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for posting this. I am watching in conjunction to listening to each podcast! Its pretty awesome. Though I have to admit that Vince's accent kind of annoys the hell out of me.

Hah! I can see that. And some other listeners have complained about the incessant complimenting of each other but I totally dig it for what it is and some indication of their workplace, warts and all.

Schroedingers Cat
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I was looking for something to watch yesterday, since I was 'couch-ridden' all day.

I finished Season 1 of 'Archer' on Netflix and started looking for another Series to start watching. Decided that 'Breaking Bad' would be a good one to start, since I have never seen any of it and so many people are always praising it.

NOT AVAILABLE on Netflix for Instant Streaming. What the fuck ?

I was pretty pissed until I realized that 'Sons of Anarchy' WAS available and I started watching that instead. Great Show so far.

Anyone know what the deal is with 'Breaking Bad' on Netflix ? Seems like it would be a perfect addition to Instant Streaming.

Jim

Mwstattel
06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I was looking for something to watch yesterday, since I was 'couch-ridden' all day.

I finished Season 1 of 'Archer' on Netflix and started looking for another Series to start watching. Decided that 'Breaking Bad' would be a good one to start, since I have never seen any of it and so many people are always praising it.

NOT AVAILABLE on Netflix for Instant Streaming. What the fuck ?

I was pretty pissed until I realized that 'Sons of Anarchy' WAS available and I started watching that instead. Great Show so far.

Anyone know what the deal is with 'Breaking Bad' on Netflix ? Seems like it would be a perfect addition to Instant Streaming.

Jim

I think it has something to do with AMC not making a deal. Mad Med is not available either.

Schroedingers Cat
06-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I think it has something to do with AMC not making a deal. Mad Med is not available either.

Fuck ! Mad Men is another one that I want to start watching.

Damnit

Jim

Garth
06-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Damnit

Jim

Well you have plenty of time to catch up on that one before the next season start--in Spring of 2012.

hamgravy
07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey - started making some Breaking Bad fan art.

http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-loteria-cards-01.html

Pays off for those who really know the show and I would love to know what you guys think of them.

LenNWallace
07-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Pays off for those who really know the show and I would love to know what you guys think of them.That's the coolest damn thing I've ever seen. I'd love a poster once it's all said and done.

Mwstattel
07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Pays off for those who really know the show and I would love to know what you guys think of them.

I'd love a print or whatever you end up making out of those.

Garth
07-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Those are amazing!! Please keep us updated as you add more. And I would also buy a poster of these.

Garth
07-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Those are amazing!! Please keep us updated as you add more. And I would also buy a poster of these.

Henry!
07-05-2011, 07:45 PM

These are amazing. I have a few paintings of the Loteria pictures in my house.

I do have one question: I'm racking my brain, but can't place "La Puerta" with the lipstick and cigarette. What's that referring to?

hamgravy
07-06-2011, 05:16 AM
These are amazing. I have a few paintings of the Loteria pictures in my house.

I do have one question: I'm racking my brain, but can't place "La Puerta" with the lipstick and cigarette. What's that referring to?

Glad you asked, I'm actually really proud of that one. Last season, we see Jessie obsessing over Jane's outgoing message and then over a cigarette with lipstick left in his car ashtray. Later in the season, we actually get a show-opener where Jessie and Jane make it out to the Georgie O'Keefe museum and rather than the pictures of vaginas that he was promised, Jessie is flummoxed by an abstract painting of a door. Jane's response is that O'Keefe was not "obsessing" over it, painting the door in every imaginable light, she was loving it, trying to remember it exactly as it was. As Jane extinguishes her cigarette in the car ashtray, Jessie repeats incredulously "A door. A door?"

hamgravy
07-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Just felt there were too few cool representations of the show online.

I have a list going for the remaining 12 for this card but please hit me up if you have any recommendations or requests. I also don't want to hi-jack this thread so PM me if you prefer.

Fourthman
07-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Great work, HG!

Henry!
07-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Glad you asked, I'm actually really proud of that one. Last season, we see Jessie obsessing over Jane's outgoing message and then over a cigarette with lipstick left in his car ashtray. Later in the season, we actually get a show-opener where Jessie and Jane make it out to the Georgie O'Keefe museum and rather than the pictures of vaginas that he was promised, Jessie is flummoxed by an abstract painting of a door. Jane's response is that O'Keefe was not "obsessing" over it, painting the door in every imaginable light, she was loving it, trying to remember it exactly as it was. As Jane extinguishes her cigarette in the car ashtray, Jessie repeats incredulously "A door. A door?"

Gah! Yes, I remember now. Very sly, hamgravy. Love it.

hamgravy
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks Henry!.

BTW - new article about Vince and the show in the NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/magazine/the-dark-art-of-breaking-bad.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

dantheman
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Damnit

Jim

FYI: Netflix has purchased the rights to Mad Men for a long time.

"The first four 13-episode seasons of “Mad Men” will debut on Netflix Instant on July 27"
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/04/netflix-nabs-mad-men-re-run-rights.html

Garth
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Just felt there were too few cool representations of the show online.

I have a list going for the remaining 12 for this card but please hit me up if you have any recommendations or requests. I also don't want to hi-jack this thread so PM me if you prefer.

Just out of curiosity, is one of them the sandwich with the crust edges cut off? That's been a reoccurring image that we have seen, first with Crazy 8 and then in season three, Walt makes a number of sandwiches like this.

hamgravy
07-07-2011, 03:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, is one of them the sandwich with the crust edges cut off? That's been a reoccurring image that we have seen, first with Crazy 8 and then in season three, Walt makes a number of sandwiches like this.

Hell yah! Good call. I have it planned for my third round and I'm still trying to figure out what the caption should be.

Chunky Ink
07-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Nice work, hamgravy. You should do one with a fly. :)

hamgravy
07-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Nice work, hamgravy. You should do one with a fly. :)

You got it. Spoiler alert - I think it will be the only one that I give a direct Spanish translation to.

The next 4 are up on my blog, along with some STAR WARS-themed Loteria Cards I found online.
http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-loteria-cards-02.html

Queen of the Ban Age
07-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Boom.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/hamgravy_photos/254419_10150217349892722_6798562721_6986452_616727 2_n.jpg

All I see in that picture is Gordon Freeman.

Also, Adam Witt and I just started watching BB uh...last week? We're almost through season three. Five episodes in one sitting the other night.

Fourthman
07-08-2011, 05:51 AM
All I see in that picture is Gordon Freeman.

Also, Adam Witt and I just started watching BB uh...last week? We're almost through season three. Five episodes in one sitting the other night.

When you say "we" are you doing like a Netflix party? Or are you watching it in the same room?

Mwstattel
07-08-2011, 05:58 AM
You got it. Spoiler alert - I think it will be the only one that I give a direct Spanish translation to.

The next 4 are up on my blog, along with some STAR WARS-themed Loteria Cards I found online.
http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-loteria-cards-02.html

Love it. Are you going to do one of a Winnebago? Or maybe an busted ATM?

hamgravy
07-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Love it. Are you going to do one of a Winnebago? Or maybe an busted ATM?

THX! - For now trying to stay away from big symbols like the Winnebago and Bear but the ATM is a definite YES.

hamgravy
07-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Caught the Pilot again on AMC. So cool to see how far it's come but I forgot how much of a duplicitous schemer Walt was from the start, threatening Jessie into partnering up.

Also, pointing the gun at the oncoming sirens in the cold open. Ready to go out in a blaze of glory, and put lives on the line, rather than go to prison?

Queen of the Ban Age
07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
When you say "we" are you doing like a Netflix party? Or are you watching it in the same room?

We're watching it in the same room. He's been living in my house since January.

Fourthman
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
We're watching it in the same room. He's been living in my house since January.
Ah, cool cool.

Mwstattel
07-09-2011, 12:30 PM
THX! - For now trying to stay away from big symbols like the Winnebago and Bear but the ATM is a definite YES.

Yeah. So when you're done you need to make a print or something and sell me one. Cause those are pretty awesome.

Scaramouche
07-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Those are awesome. How about one of the eyeball from Walt's pool?

hamgravy
07-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Those are awesome. How about one of the eyeball from Walt's pool?

Yep! I decided to do the eyeball instead of the full bear.

hamgravy
07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Next 4 are up - including the eyeball.
http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-loteria-cards-03.html

LenNWallace
07-13-2011, 06:36 PM
next 4 are up - including the eyeball.
http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-loteria-cards-03.htmlblue footprint!

RickLM
07-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I just zipped through Season 3 the past week. That has to be one of the best single seasons of a show ever. Aaron Paul and Cranston are fantastic actors and the way their characters interact and crap on each other one minute, and show genuine compassion for each other the next minute, really pulls you in and makes you care about these people. And you also realize they are doing unspeakable things. I'm caught up and can't wait for Sunday. So many of the little things are done well; Skylar and Marie genuinely seem like real-life sisters. Hank is written as the ultra-macho type but they never make him into a parody; he's a three-dimensional, well-meaning guy and Walt and he have a good relationship even though they are on two opposite sides of this war. Skylar is the only character who annoys me but even with her I can empathize with her bitterness since Walt is so confounding and secretive and obviously lying to her. Such great writing.

hamgravy
07-13-2011, 07:02 PM
All true, Rick. For me, the only character that could use more development is Walt Jr.

hamgravy
07-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Last 4 cards are up with a sheet of all 16 posted tomorrow.
http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-loteria-cards-04.html

A preview for Season 4 came on last night and I had to look away and hum myself through it...

hamgravy
07-17-2011, 09:15 AM
And, here's the link to the full sheet if you're interested: http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-full-sheet.html

Can't wait for tonight and looking forward to talking during the season...

Ashwin Pande
07-17-2011, 12:02 PM
And, here's the link to the full sheet if you're interested: http://mlapinski.blogspot.com/2011/07/breaking-bad-full-sheet.html

Dude, these are amazing! Fantastic work!

JJ Fresh
07-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Love the blue footprint card hamgravy! Nice work all around!

hamgravy
07-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys!

I think milady and I will be re-watching the final ep of last season to get this going.

Let the countdown commence...

Mwstattel
07-17-2011, 04:05 PM

I love the plate and ATM

Fourthman
07-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Loving it so far but the actress who plays Schuyler (sp?) is very obviously pregnant.

dougmac
07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Loved it

Also in the preview Epych from FNL

Fourthman
07-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Loved it

Also in the preview Epych from FNL

She was on last season, too. She's the sister of the kid that killed Jesse's friend.

Evan the Shaggy
07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Get back to work.

hamgravy
07-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Get back to work.

God, so good.

hamgravy
07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Loving it so far but the actress who plays Schuyler (sp?) is very obviously pregnant.

And a good liar. Even better than Walt and almost so good that I'd love to learn more about her backstory to give some context to her talent. Doesn't seem like it's enough that she is just a mama lion protecting her pride.

Some other things I enjoyed:
- Nice work turning some bits of business (Why would Gus hire Walt over Gale?) into great drama.
- The turn that occurs in Jessie upon watching Gus' act.
- The tea kettle. Watched FULL MEASURE before watching this and the bullet hole is in exactly the same point that Gayle had aimed a beam to measure the temperature.
- The sizing label on Walt's shirt.

JJ Fresh
07-17-2011, 08:26 PM
What's so great about this show is how they continually flesh out the story. For example, I would've just accepted Walt being chosen over Gale and not need any exposition, to me Gale was always brought in as a lab assistant only. Then in this premiere they deliver the opening segment in which Gale was supposed to run the lab and talks Gus into hiring Walt. Like the lipstick smudged cigarette, these vignettes of background info really expand the Breaking Bad world and make it a continuous joy to watch.

This episode delivered, as expected; next week looks to really kick off the pressure cooker of the chess game between Walt and Gus. Very excited to have this show back on.

Kurt Russell Crowe
07-17-2011, 08:31 PM
sooo good

dougmac
07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
She was on last season, too. She's the sister of the kid that killed Jesse's friend.

Oh yeah, you're right, but I didn't know her as Epych then so she didnt stand out.

Fourthman
07-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh yeah, you're right, but I didn't know her as Epych then so she didnt stand out.

Understood. I didn't recognize her on FNL from BB either.

(akaRyanHoffman)
07-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Understood. I didn't recognize her on FNL from BB either.

I recognized her from Men of A Certain Age.

JJ Fresh
07-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Didn't see this posted yet and I like to do some late-night reading, so here's Chuck Klosterman's excellent article on the four best shows on television in the past decade and specifically about Breaking Bad.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6763000/bad-decisions

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Watching FULL MEASURE again last night, it was pretty clear that Walt's pride had turned all shades of grey to black in his refusal to go to the DEA in favor of killing Gale.

What I should have, but didn't, expect was that Vince and co. still swing a believable pendulum. I appreciate how they can keep the characters believable by having them go from badass (Walt's gambit against Mike in the finale) or terrified (Jessie on the trigger end of a gun) to overwhelmed (Walt's revulsion to Gus' act) and steely (Jessie seems freed, seeing himself as a dead man walking).

Also loved how they bumbled about with disposing of the body but had a solution born of experience even Mike hadn't utilized in the past.

That's the thing, if Vince wants to show how "Mr. Chips becomes Scarface," the show is great at illustrating how all of these experiences inform that transformation. Side note - Another reason why I'm not fond of the plane crash is that it's SO big and spectacular AND built on coincidence that I don't also need that body count on Walt's conscience - the eye in the drawer - to transform him.

Dan
07-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Loved the Kenny Rogers T-shirts.

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 05:37 AM

And Skyler peeling off the sizing label.

Fourthman
07-18-2011, 05:44 AM

You have to know when to fold them.

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 05:45 AM
You have to know when to fold them.

:thumb:

Mwstattel
07-18-2011, 07:23 AM
What I should have, but didn't, expect was that Vince and co. still swing a believable pendulum. I appreciate how they can keep the characters believable by having them go from badass (Walt's gambit against Mike in the finale) or terrified (Jessie on the trigger end of a gun) to overwhelmed (Walt's revulsion to Gus' act) and steely (Jessie seems freed, seeing himself as a dead man walking).

I like it too. For instance, they went into detail with Skylar trying to get into the apartment. They really showed the process of the guy being professional to just getting her away from him. That was a scene they could've cut corners on but didn't. It really plays to the level of manipulation Skylar is capable of.

Mwstattel
07-18-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't have cable. So I had to go to my In-law's house to watch the premier. As I'm there a storm starts up. Fast forward to the scene where Gus gets to the lab and the scene builds just to where Gus is gonna do what he's gonna do and then BOOM satellite goes out. It comes back just in time for "get back to work". I was able to piece together what happened but man did it piss me off.

Fourthman
07-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I don't have cable. So I had to go to my In-law's house to watch the premier. As I'm there a storm starts up. Fast forward to the scene where Gus gets to the lab and the scene builds just to where Gus is gonna do what he's gonna do and then BOOM satellite goes out. It comes back just in time for "get back to work". I was able to piece together what happened but man did it piss me off.

Oh wow, that sucks! Same thing happened to me on Saturday afternoon in the new Harry Potter film (seriously). My daughter announced she had to 'go potty' right as evil seemed to have triumphed. We came back in just as things had gone our heroes' way. Luckily, we were there for my wife and I don't give half a shit about the movie.

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Gah - what tough breaks, viewing-wise. Would drive me up the wall.

Mwstattel
07-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Gah - what tough breaks, viewing-wise. Would drive me up the wall.

Yeah. I'll go back and watch it.

Any chance we'll see a mineral card? Or better yet a computer open to eBay with a mineral bid.

RickLM
07-18-2011, 08:21 AM
The scene with Hank was heartbreaking. Here's a "man's man" reduced to a bitter, defeated shell who has to learn to walk again.

One thing I wonder about: Hank is a DEA agent who was pretty much injured in the line of duty. Don't federal workers have really good health insurance that would pay for most of their medical costs when something like this happens? I'm certainly not naive about health insurance and how people get shafted, but I always assumed government workers, union members, etc. would be the least likely to end up with five and six-figure out of pocket expenses. Walt paying for Hank's care looks like its going to be a growing storyline.

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 08:28 AM
The scene with Hank was heartbreaking. Here's a "man's man" reduced to a bitter, defeated shell who has to learn to walk again.

One thing I wonder about: Hank is a DEA agent who was pretty much injured in the line of duty. Don't federal workers have really good health insurance that would pay for most of their medical costs when something like this happens? I'm certainly not naive about health insurance and how people get shafted, but I always assumed government workers, union members, etc. would be the least likely to end up with five and six-figure out of pocket expenses. Walt paying for Hank's care looks like its going to be a growing storyline.

But, hadn't he already quit/ was discharged when the incident occurred?

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah. I'll go back and watch it.

Any chance we'll see a mineral card? Or better yet a computer open to eBay with a mineral bid.

Already have my eye on a few images for a new sheet of cards (especially the teapot with the bullet hole).

Definitely PM me if any of you have any suggestions on ones I didn't include in the first 16.

RickLM
07-18-2011, 08:30 AM
But, hadn't he already quit/ was discharged when the incident occurred?

It's really fuzzy, because he was suspended without pay, which usually means you are still on the employment role and your benefits are still intact (I think).

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 08:31 AM
It's really fuzzy, because he was suspended without pay, which usually means you are still on the employment role and your benefits are still intact (I think).

Gotcha - thanks.

JJ Fresh
07-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I've already pimped Grantland once, but here's another article with an interview with Vince Gilligan over the episode last night. Another good read:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/30856/breaking-bad-creator-vince-gilligan-on-last-nights-season-premiere

hamgravy
07-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I've already pimped Grantland once, but here's another article with an interview with Vince Gilligan over the episode last night. Another good read:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/30856/breaking-bad-creator-vince-gilligan-on-last-nights-season-premiere

This made me consider Gus and how he seems to be at a place now (in terms of his power, savvy, and ruthlessness) that Walt may arrive at in the not-so-distant future.

SMACK!
07-18-2011, 06:36 PM
You have to know when to fold them.Awesome.

Strikeout
07-19-2011, 12:45 PM
This made me consider Gus and how he seems to be at a place now (in terms of his power, savvy, and ruthlessness) that Walt may arrive at in the not-so-distant future.

I said this exact same thing to my wife on my 2nd viewing.

There is no doubt that Heizenburg is a shadow of Walter, but will eventually become the new Gus.

RickLM
07-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Although I've watched Walt kill a handful of people, I still see him as more a dorky science teacher than a ruthless kingpin. For him to become a Gus is going to require more levels of transformation. A lot of the first couple of seasons showed off Walt's laughably bad knowledge of how drugs are distributed, purchased, used and how territory is carved up. For him to take over the territory seems like a plausible option for the show but we'll have to see Walt become something else entirely, and sell more pieces of himself to the devil, frankly.

Matt Jay
07-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah, Gus is going to have to die this season. If he lives, Jesse and Walt are dead.

Hank needs to nut the fuck up and stop feeling sorry for himself.

Fourthman
07-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Although I've watched Walt kill a handful of people, I still see him as more a dorky science teacher than a ruthless kingpin. For him to become a Gus is going to require more levels of transformation. A lot of the first couple of seasons showed off Walt's laughably bad knowledge of how drugs are distributed, purchased, used and how territory is carved up. For him to take over the territory seems like a plausible option for the show but we'll have to see Walt become something else entirely, and sell more pieces of himself to the devil, frankly.

They need Mike on their side at the very minimum, and this latest development might have the unexpected result of getting him on their side.

dantheman
07-19-2011, 01:47 PM

My understanding is that Walt is paying for the premium aspect of the care, Hank's coverage did not provide high quality physical therapy. Walt's money allows Marie & Hank to afford that physical therapy. He is not paying the regular hospital bills.

hamgravy
07-19-2011, 01:57 PM
My understanding is that Walt is paying for the premium aspect of the care, Hank's coverage did not provide high quality physical therapy. Walt's money allows Marie & Hank to afford that physical therapy. He is not paying the regular hospital bills.

That's right - and Marie insisted on "the best."

hamgravy
07-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Agreed - there's still a wide gulf between them but if Walt becoming a sort of Gus is the end game I think they can achieve it over this and one more season.

Plus, I'd like to start seeing what made Gus, Gus.

JJ Fresh
07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Agreed - there's still a wide gulf between them but if Walt becoming a sort of Gus is the end game I think they can achieve it over this and one more season.

KFC and the Colonel moving in on his territory. Keep that popcorn chicken the hell out of the ABQ!

hamgravy
07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
KFC and the Colonel moving in on his territory. Keep that popcorn chicken the hell out of the ABQ!

Double down.

Shwicaz
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Ok, last season someone had a HILARIOUS name for gus.

can anyone refresh my memory of what it was .

something along the lines of 'chicken jesus' or something, but i don't think that was it.

It's driving me crazy.

Shwicaz
07-19-2011, 03:23 PM
I found it using the search function.

gus was referred to as 'chicken obama'

:lol:

Strikeout
07-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Oh, hell yes.

RickLM
07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I found it using the search function.

gus was referred to as 'chicken obama'

:lol:

That was awesome.

And now I want Obama to take a box cutter when meeting with Congressional leaders.

Deej
07-21-2011, 04:07 PM
I've just watched the 3rd episode of Season 3...I.F.T. - and man that was just a shot to the gut. I'm not sure if I like anyone on this show anymore* but DAMN this show is great! I really hope they hit rock bottom soon because this show gets more depressing with each episode. I need something good to happen to someone!!

*I guess there's still Hank. I still like him.

Teal_Lantern
07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I've just watched the 3rd episode of Season 3...I.F.T. - and man that was just a shot to the gut. I'm not sure if I like anyone on this show anymore* but DAMN this show is great! I really hope they hit rock bottom soon because this show gets more depressing with each episode. I need something good to happen to someone!!

*I guess there's still Hank. I still like him.

No Spoiler,s but by the end, I loved all of the characters after hting them.

LenNWallace
07-21-2011, 04:24 PM

*I guess there's still Hank. I still like him.There's no room for optimism on Breaking Bad. I think you're just going to need to get past that one before you proceed, because, spoiler alert...

It gets worse.

Teal_Lantern
07-21-2011, 04:36 PM
[SPOIL]Walter does redeem himself by the end, same with Jessy. [/SPOIL,]

Garth
07-21-2011, 04:38 PM
There's no room for optimism on Breaking Bad. I think you're just going to need to get past that one before you proceed, because, spoiler alert...

It gets worse.

Whats funny is, I remember listening to Vince Gilligan mentioning how he knew the show was dark, but never really thought of it as too dark. He went on to mention how he thought they balanced it well with some humor and levity Now I love dark, gritty stuff, and Breaking Bad is pretty fucking grim. The moments that are funny, aren't all THAT funny that they balance anything out. It is a rough show to watch.

Garth
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Walter does redeem himself by the end, same with Jessy.

That ship sailed long ago. In fact it probably sailed immediately when Walt refused the help of his former partner. Instead choosing his ego and continuing to cook.

LenNWallace
07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Whats funny is, I remember listening to Vince Gilligan mentioning how he knew the show was dark, but never really thought of it as too dark. He went on to mention how he thought they balanced it well with some humor and levity Now I love dark, gritty stuff, and Breaking Bad is pretty fucking grim. The moments that are funny, aren't all THAT funny that they balance anything out. It is a rough show to watch.They don't lighten the mood up or anything, but the little bits of humor make things a lot more bearable.

Garth
07-21-2011, 04:54 PM
They don't lighten the mood up or anything, but the little bits of humor make things a lot more bearable.

Thats very true. Whats interesting is the comparison between this and the Sopranos. With Sopranos, fans kept waiting for Tony to get his life together and turn it all around. For Walt, we are watching a (seemingly) average, middle-aged man self-destruct, and also bring down everyone who happens to be within a close proximity.

Mwstattel
07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
They don't lighten the mood up or anything, but the little bits of humor make things a lot more bearable.

I like how the show has a sense of humor despite the grim setting. The humor presents pretty naturally. When shows or movies are all out serious they just seem absurd.

Stark Raving
07-21-2011, 05:03 PM
That ship sailed long ago. In fact it probably sailed immediately when Walt refused the help of his former partner. Instead choosing his ego and continuing to cook.
Not only did that ship sail, it fucking exploded when Walter stood by and watched Jane choke to death, just so his life would be a little easier.

RickLM
07-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I like how the show has a sense of humor despite the grim setting. The humor presents pretty naturally. When shows or movies are all out serious they just seem absurd.

There's a great deal of humor in the show and yes it comes out organically (in the character's quirks and the eerie coincidences). Jesse's phrases are hilarious, Hank is over-the-top filthy, Walt often comes off as a dorky Ward Cleaver type, Marie is very funny. Tuco was funny and horrifying at the same time. A pizza ended up on the roof. Saul is amazing.

When shows have no humor they become drudgery. I forced myself to get through most of The Sara Conner Chronicles TV show and just found it trying too hard to be grim, like a bad metal album. They needed more bright spots. Breaking Bad has plenty of them.

Mwstattel
07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
There's a great deal of humor in the show and yes it comes out organically (in the character's quirks and the eerie coincidences). Jesse's phrases are hilarious, Hank is over-the-top filthy, Walt often comes off as a dorky Ward Cleaver type, Marie is very funny. Tuco was funny and horrifying at the same time. A pizza ended up on the roof. Saul is amazing.

When shows have no humor they become drudgery. I forced myself to get through most of The Sara Conner Chronicles TV show and just found it trying too hard to be grim, like a bad metal album. They needed more bright spots. Breaking Bad has plenty of them.

Yeah. SCC is a good example of a show with no sense of humor.

Deej
07-21-2011, 06:06 PM
There's no room for optimism on Breaking Bad. I think you're just going to need to get past that one before you proceed, because, spoiler alert...

It gets worse.

Maybe not optimism...but at least some humor...regardless of how dark it is. They seemed to mix it a lot more with the drama...but it just doesn't seem to be there anymore. And keep in mind i'm only on episode 3 of season 3...

(akaRyanHoffman)
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
It seems like Walt and Jessie are trying really hard to transform themselves into harder people because of their trade and failing something miserably at it. I love it.

Shwicaz
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I felt like last episode was completely boring. I went through the hour, and I wanted to fast forward through everything.

Maybe I'm missing the 'subtle nuances' of the episode, but it just felt like nothing we hadn't seen before...

..jesse's still fucked up

..walt's still trying to be bad-ass and defend himself

...hank's still being a bitch.. (get up off your fucking rocks, man. YOu were my favorite part of the show!)

it's sad when skyler's conversation at a car wash was the most exciting thing for me....

Strikeout
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I felt like last episode was completely boring. I went through the hour, and I wanted to fast forward through everything.

Maybe I'm missing the 'subtle nuances' of the episode, but it just felt like nothing we hadn't seen before...

...hank's still being a bitch.. (get up off your fucking rocks, man. YOu were my favorite part of the show!)

it's sad when skyler's conversation at a car wash was the most exciting thing for me....

Although it wasn't my favorite episode, I did see the subtle nuances and I loved every one of them.

Consider the name of the episode "38 Snub" not as a gun but as a verb. There was a lot of snubbing going on in the show, be it Hank telling Marie to get out, to Mike kicking the snub out of Walt. Even Gus' absence is a snub itself.

These are characters who needed some alone time to think of what's coming next, and fearing what's coming next with good reason. I think what's coming next is a massive inevitable shitstorm.

Dan
07-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Skyler getting snubbed by the King of Eyebrows.

dougmac
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I usually hate people complaining about filler episodes because they usually miss something subtle, but in the case it is hard to argue.
It is nice getting things fleshed out, and letting actors really work, but with such a short season it was tough to get an episode that didn't go anywhere new.

RickLM
07-26-2011, 06:01 PM

I kind of agree. It also seemed odd to me that Nerdy Old Walt is seriously thinking (the very day or days after receiving an unmistakable and bloody message from Gus) that he can actually respond with the same force. And even if he did, he would have no clue or skill for managing the fall out. A few times while watching the show I'm thinking, "Come on."

But hey, I thought The Fly episode from last year was just a filler, too.

Deej
07-31-2011, 08:10 AM
I just finished the 3rd season. This show keeps getting better and better. And you were right about liking the characters once again. Will probably wait another week to start watching the 4th season...can't wait though!

Ashwin Pande
07-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Yeah. Walt's move seemed uncharacteristic to me too. He's smarter than this.

Alexander Hamilton
07-31-2011, 09:03 AM

To a degree. All of his actions have been fear and ego based though. This didn't seem out of line with that.

(akaRyanHoffman)
07-31-2011, 09:26 AM

I think it makes logical sense to him. Also, being threatend like that, being backed into a corner, in such a violent and extreme way, I'd think make a person pretty angry. People don't always think straight when they're angry. I don't care how smart you are.

Like I said in my last post:

It seems like Walt and Jessie are trying really hard to transform themselves into harder people because of their trade and failing something miserably at it.

hamgravy
07-31-2011, 10:17 AM
I think it makes logical sense to him. Also, being threatend like that, being backed into a corner, in such a violent and extreme way, I'd think make a person pretty angry. People don't always think straight when they're angry. I don't care how smart you are.

Like I said in my last post:

It seems like Walt and Jessie are trying really hard to transform themselves into harder people because of their trade and failing something miserably at it.

Hmmm - my post seems to have disappeared.

In short, I agree and although not a great episode a good look at different responses to emasculation and trauma. Necessary wound licking.

Ashwin Pande
07-31-2011, 10:21 AM
That scene at the end with Jesse shivering was worth the entire episode being slow and dull.

MIKE D
07-31-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm surprised. I didn't think it was dull at all. Walt's scenes with the gun dealer and Mike were perectly written and acted.

RickLM
07-31-2011, 11:10 AM
That scene at the end with Jesse shivering was worth the entire episode being slow and dull.

I agree with that. My reaction to the final scene was even more admiration for Aaron Paul.

Ashwin Pande
07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I thought it was perfectly acted but I don't really believe Walt would be dumb enough to believe that guy would turn on Gus. That was just plain dumb on Walt's part. And maybe Walt would be dumb about that because he's desperate but after the thing with the phone call stopping him from doing what he was about to do, I think he'd be extra cautious rather than being up-front about what he plans to do.

Fourthman
07-31-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised. I didn't think it was dull at all. Walt's scenes with the gun dealer and Mike were perectly written and acted.

Agreed. A friend of mine who lurks here went off on the opposing opinion in an e-mail.

Mwstattel
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM

I loved it. What happened in the first episode was a big deal. I liked seeing the fallout. Plus it seemed that Hank is poised to have a huge arc this season.

Fourthman
07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Plus it seemed that Hank is poised to have a huge arc this season.

Not to mention Mike.

Ashwin Pande
07-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I am interested in seeing what Hank's arc is going to be this season. And how much of his shit Marie is going to put up with.

Ashwin Pande
07-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Not to mention Mike.

Yeah. With what they revealed in the last episode you know Mike is going to be big this season.

hamgravy
07-31-2011, 04:34 PM
I agree with that. My reaction to the final scene was even more admiration for Aaron Paul.

Yep, same here.

hamgravy
07-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah. With what they revealed in the last episode you know Mike is going to be big this season.

What are you thinking of in terms of a reveal?

Great acting and he looks like he aged 10 years in one episode.

hamgravy
07-31-2011, 07:39 PM
My question from last week remains, how did Skyler (and Marie) get to be such adept liars? Makes me curious about their backstory...

Fourthman
07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Jesse is the only character for whom some scenes are scored this season. Is that a subtextual queue for his conspicuousness? Or is it just because he has the least dialogue outside of the lab?

Garth
07-31-2011, 07:59 PM

He is seriously great. Its strange to watch him on Big Love, because his character on Breaking Bad is so well fleshed out. I can't imagine anyone playing that character as amazingly as he does. On one of the podcasts Vince Gilligan mentions that the first season originally ended with Jessie being killed, and that hardens Walt to his chosen new life. But it is easy to see why they didn't do that when they saw what acting chops Aaron Paul has. He took would could easily be a moronic, one dimensional slacker character and created something else entirely. I am convinced the writers didn't even consider Jessie to be as deep until they saw Aaron play him and realized they had a gold mine.

Arion
07-31-2011, 08:01 PM
What are you thinking of in terms of a reveal?

Great acting and he looks like he aged 10 years in one episode.

Indeed.

THWIP!
07-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Aaron Paul is one of my favorite parts of the show, his downward spiral is so well acted that I am fucking scared for him.

Fourthman
07-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Small detail (that no one here brought up) that Alan Sepinwall just settled by talking to Gilligan. The guy that called Walt as he approached Gus' house last week? Tyrus, the new guy.

dougmac
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
I am interested in seeing what Hank's arc is going to be this season. And how much of his shit Marie is going to put up with.

You got some part of your answer in tonight's episode.

THWIP!
07-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Small detail (that no one here brought up) that Alan Sepinwall just settled by talking to Gilligan. The guy that called Walt as he approached Gus' house last week? Tyrus, the new guy.

I don't know if it was mentioned but remember the pizza that was on Walt's house? Now we know why it wasn't cut.

dougmac
07-31-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned but remember the pizza that was on Walt's house? Now we know why it wasn't cut.

I dont think it was mentioned here, but it was in Sepinwall's piece too (it might have been in the comments though and not the actual article)

hamgravy
08-01-2011, 03:06 AM

So funny that they'd bother to address a detail like that. It's like Vince answered his own "No-Prize."

hamgravy
08-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Also, re: Jessie's musical score, a cue to the sound constantly playing in his head and (in some cases) in scene music that he carries with him from the house.

Dan
08-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Go-karts?

Mike_Johnson
08-01-2011, 11:19 AM
What a great episode. I love the slow build of this season so far and can't wait until everything eventually explodes.

JJ Fresh
08-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I absolutely loved the opening to last night's episode. It was simple, but told so much about Walt's mindset concerning his partnership with Gus. The show keeps getting better every week.

Dr. Chaos
08-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Walt and Jesse will hopefully eventually kidnap Mike's granddaughter and hold her hostage at some point to get him to take out Gus or help Walter do it himself.

Mike fucked with the wrong nerd. As badass as Mike is, Walt wants to survive that much more.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
08-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Did you guys see that Sony and the creator aren't resigning with AMC and they are shopping it to other networks.

I can't post the link from my phone, but I read it on ain't it cool.

Fourthman
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Did you guys see that Sony and the creator aren't resigning with AMC and they are shopping it to other networks.

I can't post the link from my phone, but I read it on ain't it cool.

Yeah, but things calmed down this afternoon:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/talks-for-the-future-of-breaking-bad-could-break-either-way/

Talks for the Future of ‘Breaking Bad’ Could Break Either Way
By DAVE ITZKOFF
(http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/author/dave-itzkoff/)
1:59 p.m. | Updated
The television drama “Breaking Bad,” (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/magazine/the-dark-art-of-breaking-bad.html) about a high-school chemistry teacher’s dark forays into the world of illegal drugs, appears to be the latest AMC series experiencing volatility behind the scenes. A report in The Los Angeles Times said (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/08/breaking-bad-amc-sony.html) that the cable channel was locked in heated negotiations with Sony Television, the studio that produces “Breaking Bad,” on a deal to broadcast its fifth season and was at risk of losing the show.
But three people familiar with the negotiations between AMC and Sony said that the tone of the talks had improved and that they were more optimistic that a deal would be reached.
The Los Angeles Times said the negotiations had become tense when AMC suggested that the next season of “Breaking Bad” run 6 to 8 episodes instead of 13, as a possible cost-cutting measure. At that point, the report said, the studio and the show’s creative team began to approach other cable channels about possibly picking up “Breaking Bad” if the talks with AMC fell through.
The people familiar with the discussions did not want to speak for attribution because they were not authorized to talk about a continuing negotiation. They said that while the possibility of a shortened season might have been suggested at one point, it was no longer on the table and that all negotiations are a give-and-take process.
One said: “Had things gotten tense 10 days ago? Yes, but things seem to have evened out.”
A second person said that AMC had since made an offer to Sony for a “Breaking Bad” season that would be more than 6 to 8 episodes.
“Breaking Bad,” which is created by Vince Gilligan (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/arts/television/breaking-bad-returns-and-walter-whites-descent-continues.html) and stars Bryan Cranston as the teacher-turned-meth cooker Walter White, has become increasingly crucial to AMC’s original programming brand. Now in its fourth season, the series has received Emmy Award nominations for best dramatic series and Mr. Cranston has won the trophy for leading dramatic actor in all three of its previous seasons.
In the spring AMC concluded a very public negotiation (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/arts/television/mad-men-pact-reached-by-matthew-weiner-amc-and-lionsgate.html) with Matthew Weiner, the creator and show runner of its hit drama “Mad Men,” after Mr. Weiner resisted proposed cuts to the cast budget and the length of the episodes. Last week the network announced that Frank Darabont, the show runner of its popular horror series “The Walking Dead,” was stepping down from that position (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/28/new-blood-for-the-walking-dead-amc-replaces-producer/).
Press representatives for AMC said its president, Charlie Collier, was unavailable for comment. Press representatives for Sony did not immediately comment.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah, but things calmed down this afternoon:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/talks-for-the-future-of-breaking-bad-could-break-either-way/

Talks for the Future of ‘Breaking Bad’ Could Break Either Way
By DAVE ITZKOFF
(http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/author/dave-itzkoff/)
1:59 p.m. | Updated
The television drama “Breaking Bad,” (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/magazine/the-dark-art-of-breaking-bad.html) about a high-school chemistry teacher’s dark forays into the world of illegal drugs, appears to be the latest AMC series experiencing volatility behind the scenes. A report in The Los Angeles Times said (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/08/breaking-bad-amc-sony.html) that the cable channel was locked in heated negotiations with Sony Television, the studio that produces “Breaking Bad,” on a deal to broadcast its fifth season and was at risk of losing the show.
But three people familiar with the negotiations between AMC and Sony said that the tone of the talks had improved and that they were more optimistic that a deal would be reached.
The Los Angeles Times said the negotiations had become tense when AMC suggested that the next season of “Breaking Bad” run 6 to 8 episodes instead of 13, as a possible cost-cutting measure. At that point, the report said, the studio and the show’s creative team began to approach other cable channels about possibly picking up “Breaking Bad” if the talks with AMC fell through.
The people familiar with the discussions did not want to speak for attribution because they were not authorized to talk about a continuing negotiation. They said that while the possibility of a shortened season might have been suggested at one point, it was no longer on the table and that all negotiations are a give-and-take process.
One said: “Had things gotten tense 10 days ago? Yes, but things seem to have evened out.”
A second person said that AMC had since made an offer to Sony for a “Breaking Bad” season that would be more than 6 to 8 episodes.
“Breaking Bad,” which is created by Vince Gilligan (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/arts/television/breaking-bad-returns-and-walter-whites-descent-continues.html) and stars Bryan Cranston as the teacher-turned-meth cooker Walter White, has become increasingly crucial to AMC’s original programming brand. Now in its fourth season, the series has received Emmy Award nominations for best dramatic series and Mr. Cranston has won the trophy for leading dramatic actor in all three of its previous seasons.
In the spring AMC concluded a very public negotiation (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/arts/television/mad-men-pact-reached-by-matthew-weiner-amc-and-lionsgate.html) with Matthew Weiner, the creator and show runner of its hit drama “Mad Men,” after Mr. Weiner resisted proposed cuts to the cast budget and the length of the episodes. Last week the network announced that Frank Darabont, the show runner of its popular horror series “The Walking Dead,” was stepping down from that position (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/28/new-blood-for-the-walking-dead-amc-replaces-producer/).
Press representatives for AMC said its president, Charlie Collier, was unavailable for comment. Press representatives for Sony did not immediately comment.

Thanks for the update!

Mwstattel
08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Wait. Who was the guy shot by the machine gun on the "previously on" part?

LeggoMyEggolas
08-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Wait. Who was the guy shot by the machine gun on the "previously on" part?

The head of the cartel that Gus made a move against.

RickLM
08-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Walt is fine with berating Jessie for being a moron, then immediately rushes to protect him as soon as something happens.

Also, I don't understand how Jessie can still be stealing product with all the cameras around.

And is it assumed that Walt is still getting paid the $3 or $12 million from Gus despite their fractured relationship?

Mwstattel
08-07-2011, 07:22 PM
The head of the cartel that Gus made a move against.

When was that? I don't remember it at all.

hamgravy
08-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Walt is fine with berating Jessie for being a moron, then immediately rushes to protect him as soon as something happens.

Also, I don't understand how Jessie can still be stealing product with all the cameras around.

And is it assumed that Walt is still getting paid the $3 or $12 million from Gus despite their fractured relationship?

I assumed Walt and Jess were no longer getting paid. Paying off a life debt and that Hank's bills would catch up w them.

LeggoMyEggolas
08-07-2011, 07:33 PM
When was that? I don't remember it at all.

It's a little blurry for me as I blazed through the first three seasons. If it wasn't last season it was toward the end of season two. I remember it being one of the season finales. I'm pretty sure three as I remember it being just after the incident with the twin assassins. Not long after the one that lost his legs was killed by Gus' right hand man.

JJ Fresh
08-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Season 3 was when the cartel boss was killed, but it seems like there were some ramifications to that hit (this episode's opening).

Three thoughts on this episode:

There are some BB episodes that immediately make me want to watch the next one, and this episode qualified with Jesse going for that car ride. Of course I doubt Mike is going to kill him, but you have to wonder just exactly where they're heading. My guess is to Mexico to meet with some cartel people and really scare Jesse straight.

Great scene between Walt and Hank talking about WW. Notice the inflection of Walt's voice as he has to steer the conversation to his favor. Awesome.

I really hope Saul didn't hint at the ending to this series or even season by mentioning the "guy who can make people disappear" better than witness protection. I'd expect a little more to Vince Gilligan than Walt starting a new identity.

Fourthman
08-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I assumed Walt and Jess were no longer getting paid. Paying off a life debt and that Hank's bills would catch up w them.

Really? Over Gail? I thought the point, and Gus' anger, was about continuing to be obligated pay Walt for the job. Otherwise, why the need for a continuing source to launder money? Where's the indignity in Walt at his no longer being paid? What keeps Walt from going to the police? What keeps him from actually leaving as Saul suggests. Where's the complete change in episode viewpoint to show that Walt is no longer doing this for any reason but at the behest of Gus. If that were the case, it wouldn't have made any sense for him to flip off the camera - he'd have way bigger things to be angry about. I just don't see that as something that wouldn't have come up between Walt and Jessie or Mike.

Shwicaz
08-07-2011, 08:37 PM
The women stole the show with last week's episode.

I have now realized that I fucking hate Jesse. I've never really liked him at all.

I don't necessarily like Walt anymore, either.

So why do I still watch the show, you ask...?

My answer is this: When I watched "The Shield", I really liked Vic Mackey (I was a fan of Chiklis before)..even though he did horrible things, I watched to see him get out of every situation. I wanted him to get away scott free, and i watched to see how he would do it.

With Breaking Bad, I realized that I never really liked Walt or Jesse...and I watch every week, waiting for them to be taken down--HARD!

hamgravy
08-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Really? Over Gail? I thought the point, and Gus' anger, was about continuing to be obligated pay Walt for the job. Otherwise, why the need for a continuing source to launder money? Where's the indignity in Walt at his no longer being paid? What keeps Walt from going to the police? What keeps him from actually leaving as Saul suggests. Where's the complete change in episode viewpoint to show that Walt is no longer doing this for any reason but at the behest of Gus. If that were the case, it wouldn't have made any sense for him to flip off the camera - he'd have way bigger things to be angry about. I just don't see that as something that wouldn't have come up between Walt and Jessie or Mike.

All good points and I should have said that I don't have hard evidence except for: Gus' pride (Gale was an investment, Jessie is a liability), the emphasis on the mounting bills, and the fact that Jessie seems to be dipping from the same bag of cash from the original arrangement (unless ALL of that money went into buying the house). It also makes for more dramatic tension but you're right that Walt would have been explicit about the point while talking with Saul if he was no longer getting paid.

Shwicaz
08-08-2011, 03:09 AM
this week starts off with a bang, and really held my interest.

I still think Jesse is a putz, and the more i see of his 'home life' just makes me not like him even more.

I'd love to see Mike plug him, but I guess that isn't going to happen. Perhaps he's going to take him to a shallow grave of that kid who stole Jesse's money...especially after Jesse challenged him. It would be a good way to show Jesse that he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

dougmac
08-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Walt is still getting paid, for all the reasons Fourthman mentioned plus the fact that Walt keeps hammering home that it is a business.
Jessie didn't spend all the money on the house, he got a really good deal on it, they showed that last season. He screwed his parent on the price by knowing things they tried to not disclose through the third party Saul set up for him. He's probably just using that same bag of cash out of apathy or laziness. I loved the scenes with him and Mike last night, Mike realizing that Jesse is smarter than he thought but even more reckless than he thought and not scared anymore too was great. I cannot wait for next week's episode

hamgravy
08-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Walt is still getting paid, for all the reasons Fourthman mentioned plus the fact that Walt keeps hammering home that it is a business.
Jessie didn't spend all the money on the house, he got a really good deal on it, they showed that last season. He screwed his parent on the price by knowing things they tried to not disclose through the third party Saul set up for him. He's probably just using that same bag of cash out of apathy or laziness. I loved the scenes with him and Mike last night, Mike realizing that Jesse is smarter than he thought but even more reckless than he thought and not scared anymore too was great. I cannot wait for next week's episode

Cool - and agreed about Jess and Mike. Looking forward to the "scared straight" pairing of them in the next episode.

ashland10
08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Where on Earth are there Meth addicts that were as hot as that chick that played Sonic Karts with Jessie?

Garth
08-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Was it just me, or did that conversation with Walk and Skyler at the beginning of the episode drag beyond belief. It seemed to be complete filler material which could have been covered in 4 minutes, not the 15 that they spent on it. But maybe that is just my disdain for Skyler rearing up.

RickLM
08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Was it just me, or did that conversation with Walk and Skyler at the beginning of the episode drag beyond belief. It seemed to be complete filler material which could have been covered in 4 minutes, not the 15 that they spent on it. But maybe that is just my disdain for Skyler rearing up.

I felt the same way. This show has no problem making Skylar look insufferable. I kind of wish cocky Walt would snap and show her the door.

Shwicaz
08-09-2011, 12:22 AM

I felt the same way. This show has no problem making Skylar look insufferable. I kind of wish cocky Walt would snap and show her the door.

I like her much more now that she is 'involved' than when she was on the outside, having no clue what was going on.

And Walt can't show her the door...as you can see, she is pretty helpful. Yeah, her 'bullet points' speech was batshit insane, but it served a purpose. It shows her getting more deeply involved in the business.

Although walt has a very good point...she needs to think that everything is 'clean' and that what she is doing and her part in it isn't as deep as it really is.

She is deluding herself, and I think it won't be long before she realizes just how deep she is into this plot, and what, exactly, that means.

Garth
08-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Although walt has a very good point...she needs to think that everything is 'clean' and that what she is doing and her part in it isn't as deep as it really is.

She is deluding herself, and I think it won't be long before she realizes just how deep she is into this plot, and what, exactly, that means.

That was a great moment. And I think you are right. That will be a major turning point for this season.

tooms
08-09-2011, 05:25 AM
I like her much more now that she is 'involved' than when she was on the outside, having no clue what was going on.

And Walt can't show her the door...as you can see, she is pretty helpful. Yeah, her 'bullet points' speech was batshit insane, but it served a purpose. It shows her getting more deeply involved in the business.

I would love to see them taking Gus' business (with Mike's help). And as Walter is too volatile to be the boss (his pride was always a problem), Skylar would be the new Gus. She's been very meticulous about a few things lately, like the car-wash takeover, the champagne discussion with Walter and the bullet points from last episode. Very Gus-like.

hamgravy
08-09-2011, 05:43 AM
I mentioned earlier that Skyler's proficiency at lying in the first two episodes seemed almost far-fetched to me so I actually appreciated the scene for the way it showed that she is studied and meticulous (to a fault) in her preparation.

Still hoping we get some more glimpses into their early relationship to flesh out the age difference and her stake in life prior to settling into a middle class lifestyle and the current mess.

Garth
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Did I completely miss something with the shoot-out at the beginning of the episode (where Mike's ear got clipped). Are we just supposed to understand that the Gus/Cartel feud is escalating, and that is why we saw the assassination of the cartel leader at the "previously on" lead-in? That is the way I took it, but perhaps I missed something.

Garth
08-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Still hoping we get some more glimpses into their early relationship to flesh out the age difference and her stake in life prior to settling into a middle class lifestyle and the current mess.

I am curious about this also. Breaking Bad is pretty great at showing past events and fitting them into making the current episode's actions have more weight. But I don't know how they would show Skyler's story without making it seemed forced and too much of a distraction from the main plot and momentum.

Fourthman
08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Did I completely miss something with the shoot-out at the beginning of the episode (where Mike's ear got clipped). Are we just supposed to understand that the Gus/Cartel feud is escalating, and that is why we saw the assassination of the cartel leader at the "previously on" lead-in? That is the way I took it, but perhaps I missed something.

I don't think it was necessarily an escalation. I think it was important for the audience to be reminded that the threat to the organization still exists. If it were escalating, you wouldn't get the sense that this is one of the few times that Mike actually has to use his gun while escorting a truck. The fact that he leaves at the end (for whatever amount of time) suggests that he (or Tyrus) goes out occasionally to escort trucks for this very reason. Maybe this was the beginning of an escalation, but everything about it appeared routine.

Garth
08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't think it was necessarily an escalation. I think it was important for the audience to be reminded that the threat to the organization still exists. If it were escalating, you wouldn't get the sense that this is one of the few times that Mike actually has to use his gun while escorting a truck. The fact that he leaves at the end (for whatever amount of time) suggests that he (or Tyrus) goes out occasionally to escort trucks for this very reason. Maybe this was the beginning of an escalation, but everything about it appeared routine.

Got it. Okay. That makes sense.

MIKE D
08-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Good news: AMC reaches a deal for a final 16 episodes of the show to be filmed concurrently.

So-so news: We may get a nice long final season, or we may get 2 truncated seasons that split the story in half.

Mwstattel
08-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Walter. You dumbass.

dougmac
08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Good news: AMC reaches a deal for a final 16 episodes of the show to be filmed concurrently.

So-so news: We may get a nice long final season, or we may get 2 truncated seasons that split the story in half.

I would think 2 eights is the most likely scenario.
Another great episode tonight too.

JJ Fresh
08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Walter. You dumbass.

Big whoopsie on his part, but one that fits his "breaking bad" persona. With Hank's latest revelation I can see how this will all slow boil to an explosive final two episodes of the season.

And judging by next week's preview it looks like Jesse is starting to get a little cocky himself.

Fourthman
08-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Granted, Walt's idiot commentary got Hank back into the game at a time he'd written himself off, but honestly, if Hank had even taken a half hearted look at the lay of the land he'd've seen that the perfect blue tinged meth is still out there. That said, the tragic flaw that is Walt's ego and his Wag the Dog style need to have praised heaped on him for his nefarious achievements hit their high note here. Really, Skyler's misread of Walt's message foreshadowed just how "no longer the Walt I married" he's become. Great ep.

Garth
08-15-2011, 06:38 AM
AMC Renews Breaking Bad for 16 Episodes to Complete the Series

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2011/08/amc-renews-brea.php

Fourthman
08-15-2011, 06:46 AM
AMC Renews Breaking Bad for 16 Episodes to Complete the Series

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2011/08/amc-renews-brea.php

You're 4 posts late.

Garth
08-15-2011, 06:47 AM
You're 4 posts late.

Dammit, I was avoiding reading this thread because I hadn't got around to the newest episode and didn't want to be spoiled.

Garth
08-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Last season lost me a bit with the cousins who were just too melodramatic for me. But this season has been firing on all cylinders. Awesome episode. But I was screaming at the TV when Walt added his two cents.

Ashwin Pande
08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Is there a story reason for why Skyler's put on a little weight or is that just something going on with the actress?

MIKE D
08-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Is there a story reason for why Skyler's put on a little weight or is that just something going on with the actress?
Baby.

Ashwin Pande
08-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Baby.

That's what I thought but according to the story it's been a couple of months since she had the baby, right?

MIKE D
08-16-2011, 10:36 AM
That's what I thought but according to the story it's been a couple of months since she had the baby, right?

It won't go away on it's own, you have to work at losing it. Some women never lost it all.

Ashwin Pande
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
It won't go away on it's own, you have to work at losing it. Some women never lost it all.

Of course. It's just unusual to see an actress commit to gaining weight for a whole year. Unless Anna Gunn actually did have a baby recently.

hamgravy
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
My DVR cut out just before what I imagine were the final lines of last week's episode (HATE when that happens and have fixed the snafu).

The last we heard was Walt saying that Gayle's notes resembled that of a student writing rote formulas off of the teachings of a genius. I gathered that Walt was insinuating that "Heisenberg" is still out there but what else did we miss?

THX!

hamgravy
08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Buggy buggy dupe

MIKE D
08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
My DVR cut out just before what I imagine were the final lines of last week's episode (HATE when that happens and have fixed the snafu).

The last we heard was Walt saying that Gayle's notes resembled that of a student writing rote formulas off of the teachings of a genius. I gathered that Walt was insinuating that "Heisenberg" is still out there but what else did we miss?

THX!

Hank is reinvested in the case, to the point where he's more like his old self. Looking through the file again, he wants to know why Gale had a Los Pollo Hermanos take out menu and number if he was a vegan.

hamgravy
08-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Hank is reinvested in the case, to the point where he's more like his old self. Looking through the file again, he wants to know why Gale had a Los Pollo Hermanos take out menu and number if he was a vegan.

Thanks for the update! Onto this week's ep...

Fourthman
08-21-2011, 07:46 PM
If those latinas are actually going on a bus, Gus is done by the end of the season. He's like Stringer Bell in that his civility is not a saving grace in dealing drugs.

RickLM
08-21-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm assuming the authorities have now found two (maybe more) Chicken trucks that have been riddled with machine gun fire. They'll be looking into such an unusual thing, no?

JJ Fresh
08-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Just finished watching the latest and once again Walt's pride and ego bring out the worst in him. It was an engrossing segment as Walt flipped on his Heisenberg mentality on Skylar when she questions him. Not much later when Walter confronts Jesse on his rides with Mike he again tries to be the dominant force in their partnership, something that rubs his partner the wrong way even though he's receiving good advice.

The season has been pretty flawless in my opinion. Sundays can't come soon enough.

Fourthman
08-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm assuming the authorities have now found two (maybe more) Chicken trucks that have been riddled with machine gun fire. They'll be looking into such an unusual thing, no?

Why would you assume that? Mike would've taken pains to disappear the first truck, and if the people wanting into the business are as professional as they seem, there's no reason to assume this team didn't disappear the second truck. The value of Gus' enterprise is in its secrecy, and if someone wants to be part of that to a degree they know to take down a truck, then they're going to know to destroy evidence to maintain the value of what they want. My assumption, is that the show is deliberately keeping Hank with the only connection between Pollos Hermanos and any illicit activity, until he starts telling people about it next week.

Fourthman
08-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Just finished watching the latest and once again Walt's pride and ego bring out the worst in him. It was an engrossing segment as Walt flipped on his Heisenberg mentality on Skylar when she questions him. Not much later when Walter confronts Jesse on his rides with Mike he again tries to be the dominant force in their partnership, something that rubs his partner the wrong way even though he's receiving good advice.

The season has been pretty flawless in my opinion. Sundays can't come soon enough.

He's not getting good advice. He's getting an accurate assessment of the situation and a general "be careful", but not any actual usable stuff. The genius of Gus is that he can see how to nurture Jesse in a way that makes everything about Walt repugnant. However, another of Gus's future failings is that he's going to make Jesse's reliability part of his plan. His advice to Walt was "never trust a junkie", and I think that his going back on his own advice is what will be his downfall. Tonight was educational in two ways - one, Gus isn't avoiding Jesse, (which potentially gives him access) and two, Jesse will act when Mike won't. Jesse will take more risks, but ultimately, he's learned street mentality in a way that gets the same results that Mike can.