PDA

View Full Version : Frank Miller's HOLY TERROR to come out in September.

KirbyKrackle
06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/17/frank-millers-holy-terror-from-legendary-comics-in-september/

Its going to be published by legendary comics, a subsidiary of legendary pictures, as a single hardcover gn for thirty bucks.

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Pft I remember when it was gonna have Batman.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
She smells like angels are supposed to smell ... sweaty from wearing chadors in the desert all damn day.

The Hodag
06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
But we don't need a superhero to take down Bin Laden anymore!

http://i.imgur.com/IDsF2.gif

Fourthman
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, but is he putting out a book?

Matt Jay
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Obama did it.

schizorabbit
06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
So Team 6 is actually a bunch of costume-clad superheroes?

Marcdachamp
06-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Man, I cannot wait to not read about not Batman killing someone that's already dead.

schizorabbit
06-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Man, I cannot wait to not read about not Batman killing someone that's already dead.

Frank Miller's superhero will make sure that he's deader than dead.

bachman
06-17-2011, 01:15 PM
It's Frank Miller. I'll still buy it

Fygar
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
They took Batman out of this?!? Well there goes my interest...

Generic Poster
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Frank Miller's superhero will make sure that he's deader than dead.

Do you think he'll kill him all sorts of dead?

Jonny Z
06-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Ditto!

schizorabbit
06-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Do you think he'll kill him all sorts of dead?

Deader than Star Trek.

Mattman
06-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah, because over the last 10 years his work has been sooooo consistently great.

Andreas
06-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, one can imagine Obama at his Oval Office desk, laughing out loud. "Beat you, Miller!"

bachman
06-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah, because over the last 10 years his work has been sooooo consistently great.

... Comic Book Guy?

Spidey616
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Now if he can just finish All Star Batman & Robin :)

Doc Randy
06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Can someone explain to me why so many got their panties in a bunch at the idea of Batman going after Osama?

If superheroes could go after various Nazis, fascist Italians, and the Imperial Japanese, why the hell couldn't/shouldn't we have superheroes going after Osama?

I thought the "outcry" was lame. Their is a rich history of this kind of thing and some people are just too cynical to enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong... the book could have been terrible. But people were hating the hell out of it before the first page was drawn.

Mwstattel
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Don't care. I'm done with Miller.

dougmac
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
So Team 6 is actually a bunch of costume-clad superheroes?

The Goddamn Team Six you mean

Ashwin Pande
06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Can someone explain to me why so many got their panties in a bunch at the idea of Batman going after Osama?

If superheroes could go after various Nazis, fascist Italians, and the Imperial Japanese, why the hell couldn't/shouldn't we have superheroes going after Osama?

I thought the "outcry" was lame. Their is a rich history of this kind of thing and some people are just too cynical to enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong... the book could have been terrible. But people were hating the hell out of it before the first page was drawn.

Well, that kind of thing needs to be done with subtlety.

And of late Frank Miller really hasn't been very subtle with anything.

Besides, after reading that essay he wrote right after 9/11 I really got the impression the book was just going to be him taking a piss on the muslim world. And I'm kinda glad Batman isn't associated with something like that. DC probably felt the same.

schizorabbit
06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
The Goddamn Team Six you mean

:lol:

Andrew j
06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
i'm just happy he's doing comics !

now if they'd just reprint robocop vs terminator

Ben
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah, but is he putting out a book?http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/thedailynow/benaward.gif

Supreme Convoy
06-17-2011, 10:15 PM
I'll check it out because it just seems like pure insanity.

now if they'd just reprint robocop vs terminator

Dynamite is repurposing a Walt Simonson lithograph he did for the Dark Horse crossover mini-series for the new mini-series. I'm hoping that at some point, they'll repackaged the Miller/Simonson book...

http://www.robocoparchive.com/comics/rvst/lithograph1.gif

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/images1/aimages/TermRobo01-Cov-Simonson.jpg

Mattman
06-17-2011, 10:31 PM
... Comic Book Guy?
Worst creative decline ever.

dEnny!
06-18-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm curious, why? Were the comic creators of the past "subtle" when they went after the Ratzis? Captain America punching Hitler wasn't particularly subtle.

Of course I may see your point after his choice of language in the infamous All-Star Batman & Robin issue he did. :p

Ashwin Pande
06-18-2011, 07:58 AM
I think the difference is that Nazism was abhorrent across the board. There is nothing in Nazism that anyone of a rational mind could be sympathetic towards. So is the case with Islamo-fascism and Islamic terrorism but it tends to be confused with actual Islam. And that is where the problem lies. In that essay Miller wrote after 9/11 I got the idea that his problem doesn't end with Islamo-fascism but goes on to include Islam as well. There were also Imperialist undertones to what he wrote and that worried me a lot when I first heard about Batman Holy Terror.

The vast majority of Muslims in the world are not Islamo-fascists and abhor terrorism so I really did not want to see a story where an icon that I love who stands for justice just pisses all over those people so one creator can exorcise his own demons.

RickLM
06-18-2011, 08:01 AM
I hope there's a character named Jingo.

Alexander Hamilton
06-18-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm curious, why? Were the comic creators of the past "subtle" when they went after the Ratzis? Captain America punching Hitler wasn't particularly subtle.

Of course I may see your point after his choice of language in the infamous All-Star Batman & Robin issue he did. :p

I think part of it is we've grown (albeit only a little) as a culture to realize that A does not equal B: German does not equal Nazi, Muslim does not equal Terrorist. At the time of WWII, it was almost encouraged to make those broad generalizations. Today, especially since media is more easily seen globally, we should be more culturally sensitive. I don't if I'm getting across what I'm trying to say, but there you go.

I haven't read this book yet, so I won't make early judgement. I just think if it ends up making those generalizations, it will reinforce the negative stereotypes that can be really damaging.

Blake Sims
06-18-2011, 08:15 AM
I think part of it is we've grown (albeit only a little) as a culture to realize that A does not equal B: German does not equal Nazi, Muslim does not equal Terrorist. At the time of WWII, it was almost encouraged to make those broad generalizations. Today, especially since media is more easily seen globally, we should be more culturally sensitive. I don't if I'm getting across what I'm trying to say, but there you go.

I haven't read this book yet, so I won't make early judgement. I just think if it ends up making those generalizations, it will reinforce the negative stereotypes that can be really damaging.

I get ya. During WWII it was okay to have Superman, Captain America, etc punching Nazis and over-the-top depictions Japanese soldiers. Now...not so much.

stevapalooza
06-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I know terrorism is still a very real threat, but suddenly the whole Al Qaida thing seems weirdly dated.

Phantom Eagle
06-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, don't care. Miller's stuff is so dated now. It's all revenge fantasies, over-the-top language, and unexamined jingoistic hatred. Pass.

Stark Raving
07-21-2011, 05:17 PM
5-page preview here. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/21/see-the-first-five-pages-of-frank-millers-holy-terror/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZg4UOB2uCk

Alexander Hamilton
07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm looking forward to it. I still love his art.

TIP
07-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I'll get it but probably when it's out in softcover.

joeAR
07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
5-page preview here. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/21/see-the-first-five-pages-of-frank-millers-holy-terror/)

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZg4UOB2uCk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZg4UOB2uCk)

That looks pretty awesome to me

The Hodag
07-22-2011, 01:07 AM
I still like his artwork a lot, too, but this is gonna have to have something going on with its story, something genuinely new brought to the table, to make me buy it.

woljed
07-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Wow trailers for graphic novels. Cool.

Supreme Convoy
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Holy Terror is out this week.

Who's picking it up?

RyanP
09-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Holy Terror is out this week.

Who's picking it up?

I ordered it from Thiwpster. It was on sale for $17.99.

SAVETHEB
09-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I saw some of the preview pages on CBR... too murky, even for Miller. I could hardly tell what I was looking at.

Pat Shatner
09-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Review up over at Comics Alliance (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/26/frank-millers-holy-terror-review/).

Mimick
09-26-2011, 03:41 PM

And of late Frank Miller really hasn't been very subtle with anything.

Besides, after reading that essay he wrote right after 9/11 I really got the impression the book was just going to be him taking a piss on the muslim world. And I'm kinda glad Batman isn't associated with something like that. DC probably felt the same.

More like DC didn't what Frank to write good story in the midst of all the terrible work produced by Morrison and Johns.

somsta121383
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
More like DC didn't what Frank to write good story in the midst of all the terrible work produced by Morrison and Johns.

Dude, you should put a smiley face or something so people that don't know you will know that your joking.

Fourthman
09-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Dude, you should put a smiley face or something so people that don't know you will know that your joking.

Funnier without.

Doc Randy
09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I'd be more inclined to buy it if it was still Batman vs al Queda.

somsta121383
09-26-2011, 04:39 PM

At first glance I thought that said Batman vs. Quesada.

majorjoe23
09-26-2011, 04:45 PM
At first glance I thought that said Batman vs. Quesada.

Luckily Batman and quesadilla have realized they need to join forces.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ASK7sXJAh1Y/TewqJ5j-QeI/AAAAAAAABVY/qEIsgqdLe7g/s400/My%2BHipstaPrint%2B0-718788.jpg

TIP
09-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Luckily Batman and quesadilla have realized they need to join forces.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ASK7sXJAh1Y/TewqJ5j-QeI/AAAAAAAABVY/qEIsgqdLe7g/s400/My%2BHipstaPrint%2B0-718788.jpg

:lol:e!

The Hodag
09-26-2011, 07:42 PM

You need to diversify your tastes - the industry is about more than superheroes.

:rofl:

Karate and Friendship
09-27-2011, 01:52 AM
So there's no goddamn Batman in this then?

Spidey616
09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Via Bendis twitter :rofl:

http://twitter.com/#!/BRIANMBENDIS/status/118919860003684352

oy, will Holy Terror be the first frank miller GN i don't buy? heartbreaking.

majorjoe23
09-28-2011, 04:53 AM
I know eventually I'll find this for like five bucks. Then I'll buy it.

Artie Pink
09-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Miller's breathed in too many Sharpie fumes.

stevapalooza
09-28-2011, 04:56 AM
I'll wait for the sequel "Booo, Hinduism!"

bachman
09-28-2011, 05:06 AM
I would never, ever pay $30 for this. ... But I will pay $18.80 on amazon!

Also, I've seen comments and accusations of bigotry and such. Has anyone actually read the book?
For example: In the book does Miller ever say or insinuate that the majority of Muslims are terrorists or violent?

Kevin T Brown
09-28-2011, 05:14 AM
I can wait until get to C2E2 in April and they're selling it for $5.

Fourthman
09-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Also, I've seen comments and accusations of bigotry and such. Has anyone actually read the book?
For example: In the book does Miller ever say or insinuate that the majority of Muslims are terrorists or violent?

I agree that the content of the book should only be commented on after reading, but I think insinuation is something left open to interpretation. If Miller has nothing in the book to suggest that not all Muslims are terrorists, while at the same time showing that the ONLY people The Fixer (heh) combats are Muslim terrorists, that could be understandably problematic. With Batman, at least you had the argument that everyone knows that Batman lives in a (fictional) world where there are non-terrorist Muslims. With The Fixer - not so much.

Ashwin Pande
09-28-2011, 05:23 AM

Apparently so. (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/26/frank-millers-holy-terror-review/)

Fourthman
09-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Apparently so. (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/26/frank-millers-holy-terror-review/)

I'm sure their just glossing over the brilliant allegory he's known for.

Doug
09-28-2011, 05:26 AM
I agree that the content of the book should only be commented on after reading, but I think insinuation is something left open to interpretation. If Miller has nothing in the book to suggest that not all Muslims are terrorists, while at the same time showing that the ONLY people The Fixer (heh) combats are Muslim terrorists, that could be understandably problematic. With Batman, at least you had the argument that everyone knows that Batman lives in a (fictional) world where there are non-terrorist Muslims. With The Fixer - not so much.

The Fixer lives in a fictional world as well. He patrols Empire City.

I'm not going to comment on the story until I've read it. Chances are very good that I won't agree with Miller's politics, but chances are also very good that I will love his B&W artwork.

Fourthman
09-28-2011, 05:40 AM
The Fixer lives in a fictional world as well. He patrols Empire City.
The point I'm trying to make is not solely that both Batman and The Fixer live in worlds that are not our own (where we obviously, or maybe not so obviously in some cases, know that the vast majority of Muslims aren't terrorists). My point is that Batman has 70 years of history and thousands of stories (not to mention the greater shared history and experience of the DCU) wherein we might find examples that show Muslims in a non-terrorist light. With The Fixer, in order to negate the argument (should Miller even care to) he has to make that understood in the few pages of the world he's creating here from whole cloth.

bachman
09-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Now I'm more curious to read it to make my own decision.

- The article makes several references associating Islam with "The Dark Ages". I assume he means radical islam, as the book is about terrorists. Well, it's true then. All religions, including Islam, should be associated with The Dark Ages.

- It also mentions that The Fixer interrogates/tortures his captives. Batman and The Punisher do this also.

- They show images of women being stoned, and men abusing women. Well...terrorists and radical muslims do this. It's in the paper every day.

Also, as always, it is somewhat odd that on a board in which catholics and christians are openly mocked often, muslims are off-limits because it's not PC.

Fourthman
09-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Also, as always, it is somewhat odd that on a board in which catholics and christians are openly mocked often, muslims are off-limits because it's not PC.

Stop with the persecution anxiety - they're off limits because they'll blow us up.

But seriously, there's plenty of real-world commentary on the board about how backwards ANY fundamentalists are towards women, gays, non-fundamentalists, et cetera. It's a valid criticism to say that to attack the entirety of a religion in a written work of fiction for the behavior of a (dangerous and attention getting) minority is probably not a grown up thing to do and doesn't make for a very good read by the people who are interested in reading reviews of their prospective comics. And I think that's a wholly separate thing from anyone here condemning an organized religion or religious person for their real world behavior.

Doug
09-28-2011, 06:07 AM
The point I'm trying to make is not solely that both Batman and The Fixer live in worlds that are not our own (where we obviously, or maybe not so obviously in some cases, know that the vast majority of Muslims aren't terrorists). My point is that Batman has 70 years of history and thousands of stories (not to mention the greater shared history and experience of the DCU) wherein we might find examples that show Muslims in a non-terrorist light. With The Fixer, in order to negate the argument (should Miller even care to) he has to make that understood in the few pages of the world he's creating here from whole cloth.

That's fair. I just hope that readers are smart enough to infer that the world of The Fixer is larger than just Empire City, and that there are good and bad people in all walks of life.

bachman
09-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Stop with the persecution anxiety - they're off limits because they'll blow us up.

I am neither catholic nor christian. Agnostic actually.

So, we should be afraid to tell certain stories, because of fear?

Fourthman
09-28-2011, 06:19 AM
I am neither catholic nor christian. Agnostic actually.

So, we should be afraid to tell certain stories, because of fear?

First, you get that the "seriously" that you cut off implied that I'm joking there, right?

Second, tell any story you want, but don't expect to avoid criticism for it if it seems stilted or short sighted. Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will are regarded as classics (mainly for the technical proficiency displayed in creating them) to this day, and are readily available. But let's not pretend that the reason they aren't widely popular or on cable all the time is out of fear. Regardless of your own faith (or lack thereof) I still think you're being overly sensitive to what I'm saying. I never seriously said a story shouldn't be written for any reason. I just said that a fair criticism of a work (and a defense of that criticism should it be accurate) is not the same thing as people condemning the actions of religious institutions and their followers in the real world.

bachman
09-28-2011, 06:24 AM
First, you get that the "seriously" that you cut off implied that I'm joking there, right?

Second, tell any story you want, but don't expect to avoid criticism for it if it seems stilted or short sighted. Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will are regarded as classics (mainly for the technical proficiency displayed in creating them) to this day, and are readily available. But let's not pretend that the reason they aren't widely popular or on cable all the time is out of fear. Regardless of your own faith (or lack thereof) I still think you're being overly sensitive to what I'm saying. I never seriously said a story shouldn't be written for any reason. I just said that a fair criticism of a work (and a defense of that criticism should it be accurate) is not the same thing as people condemning the actions of religious institutions and their followers in the real world.

Gotcha

DaveCummings
09-28-2011, 06:25 AM
I Checked it out last night, and holy shit is it horrible. What happened to Miller?

Fourthman
09-28-2011, 06:52 AM
That's fair. I just hope that readers are smart enough to infer that the world of The Fixer is larger than just Empire City, and that there are good and bad people in all walks of life.

This is where the interpretive argument comes in. What you say is true of the real world, but in a created world of fiction the reader can only infer what the author implies. So when there are a presence of only negative examples of one group and an absence of positive of that same group, there's an argument. And the argument is whether the author meant to suggest that even though there are good and bad people in all walks of life, there are only bad in this one group. It becomes an argument, because there are plenty of people (usually these people are not those whose positive portrayals are missing from whatever hypothetical story we're talking about) who'd suggest an absence of positive examples in a story is not an implication that they don't exist in the world of the story, or that the author doesn't necessarily think that those positive examples don't exist in the world. But I think there's a larger short sighted-ness here in that this argument flies in the face of the ways stories of all media have evolved in the last century, and time has shown that leaving out the positive doesn't make for as honest a story as including it (or at the very least, alluding to it) does. I'd argue that including a meager reference to a positive allows a lot more freedom from criticism of the negative - but I'm no writer.

Karate and Friendship
09-28-2011, 07:03 AM
From what I've seen of this, it just gives me flashbacks of when The Gang Goes Jihad in It's Always Sunny.

Ben Weldon
09-28-2011, 07:29 AM
I Checked it out last night, and holy shit is it horrible. What happened to Miller?

This is the way i see it... He wrote a comic in witch Batman flyes a aircraft into a bilding and starts a terrorist movement (Dark Kight Strikes Agien), soon after that 9/11 happend. Miller feels incredibly guilty and gets swept up in the same patriotism/xenophobia as a lot of people did at that time.

Doug
09-30-2011, 06:47 AM
I got Holy Terror yesterday. I didn't read it yet, but I did flip through it.

Miller's art is wonderful, but I wasn't a fan of the coloring. I don't normally mind spot coloring, but while it sometimes worked here, other times it felt arbitrary.

Miller used whiteout quite extensively in Holy Terror which is interesting to see.

I look forward to reading the book soon, but I'm half way through Saga of Swamp Thing Vol. 3 HC (just read the first appearance of John Constantine) and that is taking precedence.

RebootedCorpse
09-30-2011, 08:13 AM
God awful. Reminds me of later Ditko work.