PDA

View Full Version : Worst places on Earth to be a woman

RebootedCorpse
06-17-2011, 11:48 AM
The World’s Worst Places to Be a Woman

Amnesty USA’s Women’s Human Rights Group member Lyric Thompson was recently polled among a number of international women’s rights experts on the world’s worst place to be a woman. The results are in.

A recent survey by TrustLaw, a project of the Thomson Reuters Foundation, polled 213 women’s rights experts on what they consider to be the world’s worst place to be a woman.

The results are in, and topping the list are Afghanistan, DR Congo, Pakistan, Somalia and India, based on a variety of factors including rape and violence, lack of health services, poverty and human trafficking.

According to the poll, Afghanistan ranks as the worst place in the world to be a woman.

Women in today’s Afghanistan daily face a host of threats, from insurgent violence; attacks on schoolgirls and working women for daring to venture out into the public sphere; high levels of rape and domestic violence, as well as widespread physical and sexual abuse by state forces; forced and child marriage; and honor killings. 87% of Afghan women are illiterate, while 70-80% face forced marriage, many before the age of 16.

In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which ranked second on the list of the worst places to be a woman, an ongoing war has featured a brutal and strategic campaign of sexual violence targeted at women, from toddlers to the elderly.

Armed militias and members of state forces are notorious for brutal gang rapes as well as sexual and human trafficking. Women who survive or escape bear a social stigma in their families and communities, or worse suffer from fistula, a painful and embarrassing tearing of the wall between the vaginal and rectal canals.

In addition to conflict-related violence, which is largely associated with the easternmost provinces, a recent analysis of a 2007 household survey finds more than 1,100 women are raped every day in the Congo, nationwide. This tally accounts for both domestic violence and conflict-associated rapes; spousal rape is not criminalized in the DRC.

Pakistan, India and Somalia ranked third, fourth and fifth, respectively, due to high rates of domestic violence, female infanticide (which is estimated to have resulted in up to 50 million girls are thought to be “missing” over the past century), female genital cutting, acid attacks and economic discrimination.

The inclusion of economic discrimination as a form of violence is of particular note; although women comprise 70 percent of the world’s poor (which is widely acknowledged to be a violation of human rights and dignity), it is not always remembered as a form of violence. However, many manifestations violence against women can be traced to roots in poverty, such as the tradition of forced marriage by families seeking to alleviate debt (widely practiced in Afghanistan and Pakistan), the sale of girl children into sex slavery (common in India), and maternal mortality rates associated with lack of access to health care.

http://blog.amnestyusa.org/women/the-worlds-worst-places-to-be-a-woman/

Jason California
06-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I am just happy to be a man.

Ashwin Pande
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
We beat out Somalia! Woo!

Keith P.
06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Tibbitz's basement.

Ray G.
06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Kinda surprised to see India there. I mean, I knew there were a lot of disturbing old traditions, but it is a fairly stable long-term democracy. That's an eye-opener.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it, Corpse.

IPeacock
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Well Afganastan is pretty up there with the wide spread rape of young, mostly teenage, boys too.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Ladies, try running for president of the Vatican.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Keep up the good work, humanity!

Fourthman
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Where did Westeros rank?

Ashwin Pande
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Kinda surprised to see India there. I mean, I knew there were a lot of disturbing old traditions, but it is a fairly stable long-term democracy. That's an eye-opener.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it, Corpse.

We not only have horrifying rape statistics (with more than 30 rapes a day in the NATIONAL CAPITAL) but also have female infanticide which is a perfectly acceptable practice in rural areas.

So, yeah. We definitely deserve to be on there.

Keith P.
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Where did Westeros rank?

Hey, at least in Westeros they punish their rapists!

Ashwin Pande
06-17-2011, 12:13 PM
In fact, female infanticide was so widespread you are now not legally allowed to get an ultrasound or determine the sex of your baby.

So now they just dump the baby girl into the nearest river or lake after she's born.

Ashwin Pande
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Police patrolling in Delhi is totally ineffective and for these reasons incidents of gang rape in the moving vehicles has become so frequent. Women are dragged in the vehicles, gang raped for 2-3 hrs while cruising on the capital roads without any fear of being caught.

Once they're done with her they just dump her out of the moving car. Happens every single day in the capital.

Fourthman
06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey, at least in Westeros they punish their rapists!

Or crown them!

Keith P.
06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
In fact, female infanticide was so widespread you are now not legally allowed to get an ultrasound or determine the sex of your baby.

So now they just dump the baby girl into the nearest river or lake after she's born.

Holy fuckballs.

Ashwin Pande
06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Holy fuckballs.

And one of the main reasons they do that is because these idiots still follow the dowry system for marriage even though it's illegal.

So a girl child is thought to be a drain in the future because they're going to have to pay some guy to marry her. Conversely if you have a male child you GET money and you can literally bargain for more money with various families. It's also an honor thing. Male children are thought to be a gift from God.

The other thing is they can put the male child to work early in life while it's harder for the girl child to get work that pays as much.

These are usually ridiculously poor and completely illiterate people. But... sometimes you find this happening in cities too among families that strictly follow tradition and their bullshit code of "honor".

RebootedCorpse
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I was wondering if "comic book store" would be on the list...

Buk Was Right
06-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Within twenty feet of Scott Adams?

I'm just guessing.

SteveFlack
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
My bedroom!

dasNdanger
06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I thought it was at DC...

das

Jason California
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
And one of the main reasons they do that is because these idiots still follow the dowry system for marriage even though it's illegal.

So a girl child is thought to be a drain in the future because they're going to have to pay some guy to marry her. Conversely if you have a male child you GET money and you can literally bargain for more money with various families. It's also an honor thing. Male children are thought to be a gift from God.

The other thing is they can put the male child to work early in life while it's harder for the girl child to get work that pays as much.

These are usually ridiculously poor and completely illiterate people. But... sometimes you find this happening in cities too among families that strictly follow tradition and their bullshit code of "honor".

This is the stuff I think of when you make fun of America.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I will agree. Though we are still minorities...so there's that.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2011, 01:16 PM

And if you EVER forget it I'll be right here to remind you.

Caley Tibbittz
06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Tibbitz's basement.

My first 12 reactions were to post a string of profanity that would get me banned. But I've settled on: I absolutely don't deserve that, and it's not funny.

Caley Tibbittz
06-17-2011, 02:08 PM
I was wondering if "comic book store" would be on the list...

Now that's funny.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
And if you EVER forget it I'll be right here to remind you.
I'm so glad we got partnered up in the white guilt/black oppression lottery.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm so glad we got partnered up in the white guilt/black oppression lottery.

I'm just pleased as punch to have you as my personal lil black feller.

Wait...

stevapalooza
06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Put that coffee down America! Coffee is for rapists!

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow. Just... wow. We are a truly reprehensible species.

19bernardo87
06-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Can we make up for this by having more Ladies' Nights?

Caley Tibbittz
06-18-2011, 08:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnU1-oDcG_Q&feature=related

Ashwin Pande
06-18-2011, 08:10 AM
A girl I know on twitter was molested on the street today.

This country fucking sucks for women.

Caley Tibbittz
06-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Can we make up for this by having more Ladies' Nights?
Problem solved.

GelfXIII
06-18-2011, 09:11 AM
It makes me proud to be pussy whipped. *sniff*

Treacle
06-18-2011, 12:47 PM
These articles always make me sad...

RebootedCorpse
06-18-2011, 12:52 PM
These articles always make me sad...

I recently read "A Thousand Splendid Suns", about the change from Soviet control of Herat to the Taliban and the effect on girls and women. Heartbreaking.

Jason California
06-18-2011, 01:27 PM

I hear that can be a problem for some, but it honestly has not been much of a burden in my life. I could probably use Buk reminding me about it more than you do.