PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Greatest Southern Superheroes?

capntightpants
06-17-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm a big Chris Sims (Comics Alliance) and today's "Ask Chris" section was about his Top 5 Southern Superheroes.

Southern Fried Super Heroes (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/17/ask-chris-61-southern-fried-super-heroes/)

As readers and listeners of War Rocket Ajax could probably tell from my constant talk of barbecue and my obsession with pro wrestling -- not to mention the accent that leads me to tell people I'll do something right quick -- I'm a Southerner myself. And oddly enough, with all the fictional team-ups I thought up to kill time over the years, it never occurred to me to try my hand at creating a team out of folks from down here.

But a Southern gentleman such as myself cannot let a challenge to my honor stand, suh! So today, it looks like I'm putting together a Southern Super-Group!

But it's actually a pretty tricky task, especially if you subscribe to a philosophy that prevents you from putting Rogue and Gambit -- probably the South's most prominent representatives in the world of comics -- on any list that has the word "top" involved, which I do. And a few of them even pose a tricky question of just what it means to be "from" the South. I mean, if you want to get technical about it, Swamp Thing was "born" in Louisiana, but his brain patterns were based on Alec Holland, who was from Stamford, Connecticut, which is about as Northern as you can get. Either way, I just can't imagine that guy throwing down on a plate of Bojangles, and really, that's the true test of Southernness.

Plus, there just aren't a lot to work with. Super-heroes have always tended to operate in places like New York, either the genuine article of the Marvel Universe or slightly disguised versions like Batman's Gotham City. It really just underscores the fact that for all their high and mighty rhetoric, the Justice League just doesn't give a dang about those Duke boys making a mockery of Commissioner Hogg and Sheriff Coltrane with all their blasted 'shine-running.

His Top 5:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/res01.jpg
First up, Mitch Shelley, alias Resurrection Man, who hailed from the fictional city of Viceroy, South Carolina. Viceroy was also the home of the Soder Cola bottling plant -- Soder and Zesti being the DC Universe stand-ins for Coke and Pepsi -- which always scored bonus points with me, since I actually live in a South Carolinian city with a Coca-Cola plant, making it pretty easy for me to see Resurrection Man as a hometown hero.

I also really like his powers, which provided a really interesting premise for a series of ever-changing adventures. Every time he gets killed -- which is surprisingly often, even for a third-string DC hero -- he "resurrects" with a different super-power. It's pretty similar to Multi-Man (a DC fourth-stringer who had his greatest moment in Suicide Squad), with the difference being that his new power usually relates to way he died, so if he got, say blown up by a gas station exploding, he'd come back with fire-powers.

Even better, his series is getting resurrected in September's big DC relaunch, featuring the return of co-creators Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning to scripting. So hopefully, we'll finally get the story that shows whether he prefers mustard-based barbecue or or the heathen vinegar based travesty they peddle up in the other Carolina.

The Haunted Tank

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/tank01.jpg
Even in comic books, a medium that has brought us stories of gorillas with jetpacks and robot Draculas, there has rarely been a high concept as monumentally over the top as The Haunted Tank. It's a tank. And it's haunted. By a ghost. This is genius.

And it's also what I'd refer to as egregiously Southern. Amazingly, I grew up in a state that observes Confederate Memorial Day, and I didn't know until I was 20 years old that the Haunted Tank's ghost in question was based on a real person, Confederate cavalry general James Ewell Brown ("Jeb") Stuart, who was known both for being a gifted strategist and for wearing a cape and a gigantic ostrich feather in his hat. And in the DC Universe, after fighting for the cause of slavery, he has to work off his karmic debt by helping his descendant blow up Nazis. Like I said: Genius.

Especially when you look at the covers the legendary Joe Kubert provided for the Haunted Tank's adventures in the pages of G.I. Combat. My personal favorite, for reasons that are probably going to be obvious, is the one where they fight an enemy tank by straight up ramping off a cliff, Hazzard county style:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/tank02.jpg

You can't really tell there, but on the actual cover, the Nazi tank commander's eyes are bugging out like Daffy Duck. It's great.

And yes: That was the second Dukes of Hazzard reference I've managed to drop in this column. The question now isn't if I'll hit the trifecta, but when.

US Ace
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/ace01.jpgAs the record will clearly show, I love the hell out of U.S. Ace, the modern-age name for Marvel's underrated classic U.S.1 -- but unlike the other characters on this list, his region of origin isn't ever clearly referenced as being the South. That said, let's be real here: This is a trucker who has a metal plate in his head that gives him the ability to mentally control his big rig in comics' first and only example of teletruckinesis. So basically, he's Marvel's version of Jerry Reed's character in Smokey and the Bandit, and that was the Southernest movie since Birth of a Nation.

Plus, how can anyone doubt a dude so Southern that he made Doctor Doom say "mess o' biscuits?"

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/ace02.jpg

How Ace is not featured in comics every single month is a mystery I will never understand. But for the record, I am available to write it.

Impulse
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/impulse01.jpg
Back before he was Kid Flash, Bart Allen was Impulse, the resident super-speedster of Manchester, Alabama. Now admittedly, he wasn't actually from there, since he moved there when he was five years old -- after his uncontrollable super-speed led him to age to an apparent fifteen -- making him what would properly be termed a time-traveling carpetbagger. But since that's the same age I was when I moved here, I'm counting it.

Besides, his time in Manchester under Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos was unquestionably the high point of Bart Allen's super-heroic career, right down to one of my absolute favorite single issues of all time, Impulse #3, in which Bart got in a fight with his entire school.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/impulse02.jpg

That girl in the dress cold slapping the kid in the Adidas is the best, you guys. The best.

And finally, my top Southern hero...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/starman01.jpg
Starman
Now, hold on, I know what you're saying: "Jack Knight? Starman? That guy's not from the South!" But here's the thing: While Opal City's actual location is never mentioned in the comic - just like Gotham, Metropolis, Keystone and so on -- a book published for the DC Universe roleplaying game, released as an official source, had a map that dropped the Opal right here in South Carolina, down around Charleston.

Presumably, this was done to reconcile the fact that Opal is surrounded by farmland but has a strong history of pirates, as Charleston and Savannah, Georgia are both steeped in all kinds of piracy that dates back to the 1600s. That said, it is slightly problematic. For one thing, I'm pretty sure that the Palmetto State doesn't feature a single sprawling Art Deco metropolis, and for another, as someone who's lived here for a mere 23 years, it's hard to believe that the Shade would pick this place as the spot to live out the rest of his immortal days, no matter how good the barbecue is.

But it more than makes up for those problems by improving the series immeasurably. It's a great read as it is, but trust me on this one: Jack Knight's dialogue is way, way better if you read it with a thick Southern accent. Here, try it out on my favorite line from the entire series:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/06/starman02.jpg

See? The only way that gets better is if he'd said "Compared to you, I'm Hank Williams Jr.!"

So there you go: My favorite Southern super-heroes. And before anyone says it, no, I did not "forget" Jonah Hex. Sure, he's Southern as the day is long, but he's also not a super-hero. You could say the same about the crew of the Haunted Tank, but while scarred-up cowboy is a thing that could (and did) actually happen, a haint on treads is something you only get out of the DC Universe.

I personally don't know enough Southern characters to create my own team. I'd only be able to clone Rogue and Gambit a couple of times to do it, just by default.

Who are yours?

Jason California
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM
No wiminz?

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Monica Rambeau.

End of List.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Cannonball or Husk?

capntightpants
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Monica Rambeau.

End of List.

:rock: fuck yeah. She is enough of a team for me. :)

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
:rock: fuck yeah. She is enough of a team for me. :)

Seriously, they need to use her more. She's awesome.

Daredevil's nice, but put Monica back on a team and I'll get excited. :D

Also, more on topic, under Mike Carey, Rogue has really become one of my favorite X-characters and not the one-note character she once was.

Other than those two. I can't really think of anyone else. I'd have to REALLY think.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Swamp Thing has to emerge from a Southern climate.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Swamp Thing has to emerge from a Southern climate.

I thought about adding Alec Holland, but I wasn't sure if he counted because A) He's not really a "superhero" (per ce) and I'm not sure if he's FROM the South. I just know he was based there (HOUMA, LA! WHOO!)

TheKraken
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Back in '09 I was riffing on a Dirty South Avengers team starring Doctor Voodoo, Monica Rambeau, Gambit, Rogue & Damian Hellstrom.

Not as possible these days...

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Seriously, they need to use her more. She's awesome.

Daredevil's nice, but put Monica back on a team and I'll get excited. :D

Also, more on topic, under Mike Carey, Rogue has really become one of my favorite X-characters and not the one-note character she once was.

Other than those two. I can't really think of anyone else. I'd have to REALLY think.

For some reason every time I see "Caldecott County, MS," I am filled with rage that they couldn't even manage to use one of the pre-existing counties for her.

capntightpants
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I thought about adding Alec Holland, but I wasn't sure if he counted because A) He's not really a "superhero" (per ce) and I'm not sure if he's FROM the South. I just know he was based there (HOUMA, LA! WHOO!)

According to the article, Alec Holland is from Conneticutt

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM
For some reason every time I see "Caldecott County, MS," I am filled with rage that they couldn't even manage to use one of the pre-existing counties for her.

:lol:

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
:lol:

I mean come on, it's not like there's anything there in most of them anyway! Nobody's using them!

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I mean come on, it's not like there's anything there in most of them anyway! Nobody's using them!

Was it so hard to find an almanac or something? :D

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Was it so hard to find an almanac or something? :D

Maybe this was the period where Marvel couldn't afford real desks and stuff and people sat on almanacs.

"Where are they from?"
"I dunno, let's just put them in New York, I know where everything here is."
"Guess that'll work"
"Or I can make him from another country."
"He's from another country, living in New York."
"That's gold, print it."

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
The fact Living Lightning and the Texas Initiative team are not on that list is fucking shameful. :no:

Pick real southern heroes and not emigrants like Impulse.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
The fact Living Lightning and the Texas Initiative team are not on that list is fucking shameful. :no:

Rethinking that statement.

But yeah, no one cares about Texas. *awaits the barrage*

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Rethinking that statement.

But yeah, no one cares about Texas. *awaits the barrage*

Say whatever you will about Texas but their Initiative team was awesome. :)

capntightpants
06-17-2011, 11:26 AM

California's The Order is the greatest Initiative team!!!!

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 11:28 AM

The Chicago based Spaceknights would have been just that... If someone had bothered to do a story showing them! :crazy:

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Texas just wanted to be Southern because it was cool at the time :miffed:

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't count Texas as part of the South.

I'm pretty sure Texas doesn't count Texas as part of the South.

Hell, I'm sure Texas barely counts itself as part of America.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Do they have to be comic super heroes? 'Cause Davy Crockett kilt him a bar when he was only 3.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Back in '09 I was riffing on a Dirty South Avengers team starring Doctor Voodoo, Monica Rambeau, Gambit, Rogue & Damian Hellstrom.

Not as possible these days...
I'd read that. You know, if not for...:mad:

Pick real southern heroes and not emigrants like Impulse.
So now you hate immigrants? You disgust me. :no:

Kedd
06-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Synch was from St. Louis. South enough for me.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't count Texas as part of the South.

I'm pretty sure Texas doesn't count Texas as part of the South.

Hell, I'm sure Texas barely counts itself as part of America.

They were their own country for a brief period.

I think they integrated into the US when the declared bankrupcy after they spent all their money on booze and bullets for their year-long independence celebration.

Taxman
06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Seriously, they need to use her more. She's awesome.Like a lot of characters, no one seems interested once the original creator is done with her. And she's really never been the same character since Simonson wrecked her.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Do they have to be comic super heroes? 'Cause Davy Crockett kilt him a bar when he was only 3.

I will accept the fictional Davy Crockett as super-hero.

capntightpants
06-17-2011, 11:38 AM
The Chicago based Spaceknights would have been just that... If someone had bothered to do a story showing them! :crazy:

Bah! The Spaceknights ain't shit since Kanye left!

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 11:38 AM
I'd read that. You know, if not for...:mad:

So now you hate immigrants? You disgust me. :no:

An emigrant is different from an immigrant Kedd...

Kedd
06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Like a lot of characters, no one seems interested once the original creator is done with her. And she's really never been the same character since Simonson wrecked her.
How did he wreck her? I picked up the first issue of her solo series back during wondercon and was suprised to see that Dwayne McDuffie wrote it.

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Bah! The Spaceknights ain't shit since Kanye left!

Do I have to call ROM to kick your sorry ass? :mad:

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Ellis did good by Ms. Rambeau in Nextwave.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I will accept the fictional Davy Crockett as super-hero.

Then we gotta allow Cannonball. He took down Gladiator.

Husk can be a third-stinger on the Southern hero bench.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
An emigrant is different from an immigrant Kedd...
I assumed you used the wrong word since they mean different things and your complaint's comedic value is lowered by your use of the wrong word.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Then we gotta allow Cannonball. He took down Gladiator.

Husk can be a third-stinger on the Southern hero bench.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Cannonball and the rest of the Guthries.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 11:43 AM
I assumed you used the wrong word since they mean different things and your complaint's comedic value is lowered by your use of the wrong word.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.... don't explain it, it's funnier this way.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Cannonball and the rest of the Guthries.

So did everyone else.

Except for Sam, everyone else is either dead, depowered or in Limbo. (Still waiting for Paige to join X-Factor and reunite with M)

dasNdanger
06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Blah, blah, blah... or the heathen vinegar based travesty they peddle up in the other Carolina....blah, blah, blah...

:no: :no: :no:

See this? Saturated with vinegar and hot pepper flakes and it is DELICIOUS! But I guess SOME people can't handle it... :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasNdanger/piggypiggy.jpg

das

capntightpants
06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
:no: :no: :no:

See this? Saturated with vinegar and hot pepper flakes and it is DELICIOUS! But I guess SOME people can't handle it... :roll:

das

As I'm not very familiar with the South, or your meaningless squabbles, I have no idea what this is about. :)

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
As I'm not very familiar with the South, or your meaningless squabbles, I have no idea what this is about. :)

Okay, we're talking about Southern superheroes here. If we get into barbeque we'll be here for months.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhh.... don't explain it, it's funnier this way.

No, no, he made an attempt at dressing me down over word usage and meaning, so I feel it's only fair that he understand he used the word incorrectly and is not always the smart little girl he thinks he is.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Okay, we're talking about Southern superheroes here. If we get into barbeque we'll be here for months.
That's a never ending argument.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 11:53 AM
I've been thinking about it for a while now, and I do not accept Jack Knight as a Southerner, Charleston history regardless. The O'Hare cop family in no way exude Southitude.

But just today I saw Butch Guice's early early early GN The Southern Knights.

http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!BoE6fZg!Wk~$%28KGrHqIH-DIEuWIYS+lGBLmErVy,WQ~~_35.JPG

Taxman
How did he wreck her? I picked up the first issue of her solo series back during wondercon and was suprised to see that Dwayne McDuffie wrote it.He depowered and nearly killed her as part of and Avengers Disassembled story arc. She was never really what she was before that again.

Roman Noodles
I'm waiting for SOMEONE to comment on me not believing Texas is part of the South. Nor is it far enough west to really be a Western state.

I demand someone ask me "If it isn't a Southern or a Western state, what the hell is it?"

Cth
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Screw you guys, we had the U-Foes.

Look what we accomplished :D We got rid of Thor AND the Sentry :lol:

Anyways, surprised no one's gone for the Hate Monger joke yet.

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

How is it wrong? You're not making sense Keddington!

Ego Lives!
I'm waiting for SOMEONE to comment on me not believing Texas is part of the South. Nor is it far enough west to really be a Western state.

I demand someone ask me "If it isn't a Southern or a Western state, what the hell is it?"

I pretty much said the same thing, I guess they just agree with us.

Gregory

The missus and I argue about this all the time. She approaches from a cultural POV, and I contend Texas is Southern from a geographical POV. We compromised and made Texas its own compass direction.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
The missus and I argue about this all the time. She approaches from a cultural POV, and I contend Texas is Southern from a geographical POV. We compromised and made Texas its own compass direction.

Well I mean... Arizona and New Mexico are Southern by geography, but I'd hardly consider either a Southern state.

Taxman
06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
I am not trying to say that Simonson's writing was bad.

Stern claimed that he left the book because he refused to write these stories. I think that DeFalco claims that Stern agreed to write it and then backed out. At any rate, Stern quit the book and Simonson took over with the story arc already planned.

At any rate, the problem really lies in the character hot having been completely restored and being underused since.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
How is it wrong? You're not making sense Keddington!
An Emigrant is someone that leaves their place of origin to move to another place. An Immigrant is a person that arrives at a new place from their place of origin. A person leaving Mexico is an Emigrant. A Mexican arriving in Texas is an Immigrant. Impulse is an Immigrant to Alabama and Emigrant from wherever he was before.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Damn it. I'll ask myself.

Me: But Roman, if Texas isn't part of the South and isn't part of the West, what is it?

Roman: I'm glad you asked. Texas is really just "Rich People Mexico."

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
No, no, he made an attempt at dressing me down over word usage and meaning, so I feel it's only fair that he understand he used the word incorrectly and is not always the smart little girl he thinks he is.

What? I've never thought of myself like that. :?

Kedd
06-17-2011, 12:01 PM
What? I've never thought of myself like that. :?
Well believe in yourself some more little girl.

Slewo.O
06-17-2011, 12:01 PM
An Emigrant is someone that leaves their place of origin to move to another place. An Immigrant is a person that arrives at a new place from their place of origin. A person leaving Mexico is an Emigrant. A Mexican arriving in Texas is an Immigrant. Impulse is an Immigrant to Alabama and Emigrant from wherever he was before.

Ah, gotcha. I confused the word as someone moving around within the same country from a different region. Stupid political geography.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Me: But Roman, if Texas isn't part of the South and isn't part of the West, what is it?

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/11/CLAPPING-GIF.gif

Gregory
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Well I mean... Arizona and New Mexico are Southern by geography, but I'd hardly consider either a Southern state.

But Texas is dead center South, but not Southern as in juleps and moss on the trees and Dukes of Hazzard. From a map argument, it has too many states on its left to be Southwest. The missus says Southern states are defined only as far as the Mississippi River, making everything else southwest or midwest or north or northwest or west.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 12:04 PM

:lol: yes, yes it is.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/11/CLAPPING-GIF.gif

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I'm here all week.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
But Texas is dead center South, but not Southern as in juleps and moss on the trees and Dukes of Hazzard. From a map argument, it has too many states on its left to be Southwest. The missus says Southern states are defined only as far as the Mississippi River, making everything else southwest or midwest or north or northwest or west.

I'd say pretty much anything beyond AR and LA, you are leaving the South. I will make two exceptions: Houston and Texarkana, TX, which is basically Texarkana, AR, extended.

Aside from that, you leave AR to the west you are definitely out of the south because you're in Oklahoma

Cth
06-17-2011, 12:15 PM

According to the census bureau of the US, Texas is indeed, in "The South"

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

West South Central

elcinco
06-17-2011, 12:16 PM

It's Texas. It doesn't really count for much of anything. With the exception of Austin. The South can claim Austin.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:17 PM

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

West South Central

So, basically Texas is part of everything.

Or at least they act like they are.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
It's Texas. It doesn't really count for much of anything. With the exception of Austin. The South can claim Austin.

Austin is too cool for us simple Southerners.

elcinco
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Austin is too cool for us simple Southerners.

You're right. They'd never come play with us. :(

Gregory
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM

It has to be; it's the the south/east of 18 states.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
So we can include Jesse Custer as a Southern superhero. He fought the Klan.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
You're right. They'd never come play with us. :(

Like we want their hipster cred!

(:cry:)

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM

He also fought God. Which is something no true Southerner would ever do.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
He also fought God. Which is something no true Southerner would ever do.

If they found out God roots for the Giants or Packers, they'd walk up to God in their best pair of boots.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
If they found out God roots for the Giants or Packers, they'd walk up to God in their best pair of boots.

Guy #1:"Hey random LSU fan, did you hear that God is a Crimson Tide fan?"

Guy #2:"...... he has to die."

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM

We don't make survey calls to Louisiana on Saturdays when football season starts. No one answers the phone, or they say, "GOING TO THE GAME!" and hang up.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Inside Auburn in place of LSU and the guy wouldn;t even pause long enough to tell you God has to die. such is the rivalry.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Inside Auburn in place of LSU and the guy wouldn;t even pause long enough to tell you God has to die. such is the rivalry.

Really, if God ever took the time to root for ANY SEC team over another, he'd be dead before he hung up with his bookie, Jesus.

No, not that Jesus.

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Really, if God ever took the time to root for ANY SEC team over another, he'd be dead before he hung up with his bookie, Jesus.

No, not that Jesus.

Why can't they be good natured like the SWAC teams?

Kedd
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Why can't they be good natured like the SWAC teams?
:shifty:

Kedd
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM

No, not that Jesus.
Every game day, god has to constantly say "I'm not getting in that mess. Sheeeeeee-iiiittttttttt."

Ego Lives!
06-17-2011, 12:40 PM
:shifty:

The football teams, not the basketball teams.

:D

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Every game day, god has to constantly say "I'm not getting in that mess. Sheeeeeee-iiiittttttttt."

Meanwhile, I hear that every time someone mentions the BCS, Satan gets a stiffy. "Yeeeeeeeeessssssss, my greatest achievment!"

Brewtown Andy
06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
It's Texas. It doesn't really count for much of anything. It doesn't? But I'm going there in 8 days!

Mr. Sean
06-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I think jesse Custer counts.
Also, US Agent was born in Georgia!
I felt like ghost rider was from the South, but Wiki says he's from my home state of IL.

Caley Tibbittz
06-19-2011, 07:35 AM

THANK you, finally. He even had a superpower. His eyes went red and sand got counted, dammit.

Kody
06-19-2011, 08:51 AM
CRAWFISH MAN is the correct answer.

http://kodychamberlain.com/uploads/fun/crawman.gif

hamgravy
06-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Hair Cape!

Slewo.O
06-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I think jesse Custer counts.
Also, US Agent was born in Georgia!
I felt like ghost rider was from the South, but Wiki says he's from my home state of IL.

He's from Illinois but he sure doesn't talk like someone from there. :?

Ego Lives!
06-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Depending on the area, that happens. My mom's cousin moved up there to a town outside of Springfield from the Mississippi Delta. He said there's people there who talk just very much the same, just some different colloquialisms.

Ego Lives!
06-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Oh man, I can't believe I've never seen this before.

Spidey616
06-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Cannonball! :)

Roman Noodles
06-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Hey Gambit is from New Orleans and HE sure doesn't talk like someone from there. :D

(Okay, maybe a little. But we keep those people hidden in the bayous.)

elcinco
06-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey Gambit is from New Orleans and HE sure doesn't talk like someone from there. :D

(Okay, maybe a little. But we keep those people hidden in the bayous.)

Hey. "those people" are my relatives!

Roman Noodles
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey. "those people" are my relatives!

Mine too. Doesn't change a thing!

RickLM
06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Dwayne Reed, Shotgun Man was Marvel's Lynyrd Skynyrd-inspired hero but it only ran 3 issues in 78.

Magnum V.I.
06-19-2011, 06:42 PM

As a Georgia Boy born and raised your wife is correct.

But everyone is forgetting MOTHER FUCKING HAWKMAN!!!! :rock:

GelfXIII
06-19-2011, 07:03 PM

In the immortal words of Marlon Brando in 'Last Tango'....

FETCH THE BUTTER.