PDA

View Full Version : [comics] Really Enjoying the Work of Jefte Palo

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 09:45 AM
I recently read a couple of trades featuring the art of Jefte Palo. One was Taskmaster: Unthinkable, written by Fred Van Lente, and the other was Moon Knight: Down South, written by Mike Benson. In both cases Palo's art made the stories seem even more cinematic, more exciting and more enjoyable. (I can't say the same for the Saltares/Texeira Moon Knight, by the same author, which, to my eye, detracted from the story with weak anatomy, sketchy details and unfinished-looking finishes.)

I enjoy his sense of storytelling, the cleanness of his style, and his overall sense of design and composition. I was not very familiar with his name or his work, and originally I did not think that I would enjoy his art, as I was brought up on Big John Buscema, Romita Senior and others who usually varied their line width and weight to show volume. Because Palo normally uses a fairly thin line, I wasn't sure if I would be attracted to his style.

Glad to have been proven wrong, and to find myself still open to appreciating the work of a variety of artists, I'm now wondering if anyone can recommend other work by this creator for me to enjoy.

On another note, because Spanish is not my first language, does one pronounce the name as "Hefty Pah-low"?

http://www.blogomatic3000.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/TASKMASTER_2_PREVIEW5.jpg

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/8/f0/4bb51e754d41b/detail.jpg

Brother Power the Gong
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah, he is one of my favorites.

He did the good-but-short-lived Doctor Voodoo with Remender and he fills in (and may soon be doing some regular work) on Black Panther.

I recommend both. He also did the pencils on the excellent Black Panther: Secret Invasion issues (written by Jason Aaron).

Brian Defferding
06-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Reminds me of Simon Bisley. Thanks for posting, I'll look for more of his work.

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, he is one of my favorites.

He did the good-but-short-lived Doctor Voodoo with Remender and he fills in (and may soon be doing some regular work) on Black Panther.

I recommend both. He also did the pencils on the excellent Black Panther: Secret Invasion issues (written by Jason Aaron).

Oh, that's right. I not only own those Doctor Voodoo issues, I read the trade not too long ago.

Thanks for the reminder, and the recommendations. I'll look for the BP: SI stuff at the library, and I intend to start reading BP: MoF, which I own in issues, any time now (still haven't started reading the Diggle stuff, which I also own in issues, and still catching up on the Heroic Age, so I haven't made it up to Shadowland and the title switch yet).

Reminds me of Simon Bisley. Thanks for posting, I'll look for more of his work.

No worries. I love finding new artists to check out.

Patch
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Me too.
Palo has the magic-- great draftmanship that's also very expressive and full of energy.

shoelaceless
06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm starting to feel an irrational resentment for this guy. They keep having him fill in on books with one definitive artist where he can only disappoint.

hamgravy
06-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Me too.
Palo has the magic-- great draftmanship that's also very expressive and full of energy.

Yep - came here to say the same. Also love he representation of Panther and the costume. He made the most out of a script that read like it was straight outta the Bronze Age.