PDA

View Full Version : David Tyree Is an Idiot and a Fucking Asshole.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
What a fucking dick head.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-16/us/new.york.gay.marriage.tyree_1_marriage-bill-gay-marriage-david-tyree?_s=PM:US

Super Bowl hero warns of 'anarchy' if NY approves gay marriage
HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN

June 16, 2011|By Jason Kessler, CNN

Former New York Giants receiver David Tyree's celebrated catch in the closing seconds of Super Bowl XLII was pivotal to his team's victory. Now out of football, he is trying to claim a last-minute win over another foe -- same-sex marriage.

On the same day that the New York State Assembly approved a same-sex marriage bill, Tyree warned of dire consequences if the legislation becomes law.

The bill's passage would "be the beginning of our country sliding toward ... anarchy," he said

Tyree made the comments in a video released Wednesday by the National Organization for Marriage, which is spearheading opposition to the bill. The legislation must now clear the Republican-controlled State Senate where its fate is uncertain.

His disapproval of gay marriage is based on religious as well as secular grounds, Tyree said.

"Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors the relationship with God," he said.

He also argued that same-sex parents are ill-equipped to raise a child of the opposite sex.

"You can't teach something that you don't have," Tyree said in the video. "So two men will never be able to teach a woman how to be a woman."

It is not justifiable to alter a long-standing institution "because a minority -- an influential minority -- has ... an agenda," he said.

In an opinion column for Yahoo News, the group's chairman, Maggie Gallagher, said Tyree told her he decided to speak out after his former teammate Michael Strahan declared his support for gay marriage last week.

The video appeared to take a page out of the playbook of the group's adversary, the Human Rights Campaign, which has released a steady stream of video testimonials from celebrity advocates of gay marriage in recent months. Uma Thurman, Whoopi Goldberg, Sean Avery of the New York Rangers and others have appeared in their videos.

Tyree seemed to chide notables who oppose same-sex marriage, but keep their opposition to themselves. "I am disappointed when ... not enough guys ... lift up something as honorable and near to God's heart as marriage," he said.

"We're doing God an injustice by not making his heart known to our country."

TheTravis!
06-17-2011, 09:32 AM
There is so much bullshit here that I can't even begin to decide where to comment. Seriously, it makes my brain hurt.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Bah, fuck him and his completely irrelevant attention whoring ass.

WillieLee
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
He's a SuperBowl champion bitch. What have you done?

Urgur the Gurgur
06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
You can't teach something that you don't have," Tyree said in the video. "So two men will never be able to teach a woman how to be a woman.

I wonder if Tyree's views here extend to single parents raising children of the opposite sex. Such as his mother.

Alexander Hamilton
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
He's a SuperBowl champion bitch. What have you done?

Superbowl doesn't mean shit to me. Guy's a moron.

WillieLee
06-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Superbowl doesn't mean shit to me. Guy's a moron.

That's because you're a nerd.

Alexander Hamilton
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
That's because you're a nerd.

Rather a nerd than a prick.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
"Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors the relationship with God," he said.

Meaning the woman must obey the laws her husband establishes.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Even the ones that contradict the others.

ESPECIALLY the ones that contradict the others.

usagi20
06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
I loved seeing that catch in the Superbowl a few years ago, but if he's married, I feel sorry for his wife.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Just go with the last command issued. Just like in the military or prison.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Remember husbands, unless your wife completely fears and respects you implicitly, you fail as a husband and your God hates you.

WillieLee
06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Rather a nerd than a prick.

Yeah, David Tyree is the driving force of this attitude.

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I totally agree with this guy! It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Todd!

Gregory
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey, just because you made quite a catch doesn't mean you are quite a catch.

Alexander Hamilton
Yeah, David Tyree is the driving force of this attitude.

Never said anything like that. I just don't how a Superbowl ring gets you pass.

BriRedfern
I literally could not have hated him more than I did yesterday, or the day before that, or the day before that, so this means nothing to me. He will forever be one of my least favorite people.

Kedd
06-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Stopped right at this point:

Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors the relationship with God," he said.
as I say to my religious associates that try to argue against equal rights: "What does your god have to do with me?"

I wonder if Tyree's views here extend to single parents raising children of the opposite sex. Such as his mother.
Of course they don't, it might require him actually thinking about how stupid what he's saying is.

At least you understand.

Ryudo
06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I literally could not have hated him more than I did yesterday, or the day before that, or the day before that, so this means nothing to me. He will forever be one of my least favorite people.

http://www.verysmartbrothas.com/images/bitter-ass-05web.jpg

Blane
06-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Just another gentle reminder why I root for the laundry. Liked him as a player... I don't agree with his politics.

WillieLee
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Never said anything like that. I just don't how a Superbowl ring gets you pass.

I'm saying it because it's ridiculous to condemn David Tyree when he's not the one making the laws. But it's easier to write missives about him instead of challenging the politicians.

BriRedfern
06-17-2011, 10:52 AM

True dat.

True dat.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm saying it because it's ridiculous to condemn David Tyree when he's not the one making the laws. But it's easier to write missives about him instead of challenging the politicians.

You're SORT of right. The politicians SHOULD be more in the spotlight here, but that's not how the game is played. Tyree isn't just making statements to the press or sending tweets or some shit. This isn't an interview that went off the rails.

He's making a promotional video to try to influence people and throw his celebrity behind the cause and that video is being distributed by an organization committed to denying rights to part of the population. So if he's going to be out there trying to SELL this then people should absolutely stand up and say, either to people who might be persuaded by something like a football player's opinions or to people that he's railing against so that they know that we support them: "HEY THAT'S BULLSHIT".

TheKraken
06-17-2011, 10:57 AM
On the other hand, Republican NY state senator Roy McDonald made the following statement yesterday on why he supports gay marriage:

“You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing,” McDonald, 64, told reporters. “You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. “I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/republican-new-york-senator-comes-out-for-gay-marr

You know it's getting crazy when a Republican is speaking out for common sense on this particular issue.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 10:57 AM

You know who ELECTS those politicians who make those laws? People like this guy. So, I don't see why it's ridiculous to condemn him for these comments, especially when I don't think ANYONE offended by his statements doesn't also fully believe that politicians who feel the same way and are fighting this are just as at fault.

This guy represents what is so flawed about these people's mindsets. So yeah, I don't see a problem with publicly condemning his words. I'd do the same if he was just a nobody on the street or the merry King of England. Wrong is wrong.

Dan
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM
This is going to lessen my chances of ever naming one of my children David Tyree Eli Manning [Dan]

Keith P.
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
I have really reached my breaking point on shit like this.

Ok, here is the deal, if you are actively supporting anti-gay marriage movements, I hope you die.

There, I said it. I hope someone comes along and puts a bullet in your fucking head, or you get stomach cancer and die screaming and alone.

Marcdachamp
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
The guy from Transformers?

Ryudo
06-17-2011, 11:23 AM
The guy from Transformers?

:lol:

Mark4myself
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
"It is not justifiable to alter a long-standing institution "because a minority -- an influential minority -- has ... an agenda," he said."

I love this line. By his rationale his entire career should never have happened nor many of the opportunities granted him. If not for a minority pushing to be accepted he would be in the fields working rather than making a decent living playing sports. Its because of people contesting the acceptance of things just being the way they are that has allowed society to evolve beyond the societal petri dish. Women wouldn't be where they are today if David Tyree's rationale was applied historically. Blacks would still be slaves if we were to apply his rationale to their plight. Not to mention the biblical support of slavery as championed by politicians in the days prior to emancipation.

I wonder if Tyree is aware of what a contradiction his rationale is when applied to the minority HE is a part of. Maybe he is pro-slavery though. I have suspicions that is not the case but his logic seems to dictate it must. Or maybe God only applies to minorities David Tyree doesn't like. Either way....he's a moron.

Taxman
06-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Am I the only one who is surprised to learn that homosexuality was not founded in America?

Brad N.
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
What an ignorant and hate-filled douchebag. But he is a football player. Why anyone would give a shit what he thinks about anything is beyond me.

Ray G.
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm just going to pretend that the last time I ever heard this guy's name was when he owned the Patriots. I'll be happier that way.

sans serif
06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
There is so much bullshit here that I can't even begin to decide where to comment. Seriously, it makes my brain hurt.

Same.

Marcdachamp
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm just going to pretend that the last time I ever heard this guy's name was when he owned the Patriots. I'll be happier that way.

As a Buffalo Bills fan, that was the greatest moment in Super Bowl History. For me.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
As a Buffalo Bills fan, that was the greatest moment in Super Bowl History. For me.

Yeah, this really makes me conflicted. Because usually I am pretty good distancing people's personal and professional lives, but this really leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

Grow up, dammit!

Marcdachamp
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, this really makes me conflicted. Because usually I am pretty good distancing people's personal and professional lives, but this really leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

Grow up, dammit!

:lol: Yeah, I hear ya.

Ryan Elliott
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM

I can't believe this absolute gem of a post went unnoticed. I salute you sir on behalf of the entire bendis board.

I have really reached my breaking point on shit like this.

Ok, here is the deal, if you are actively supporting anti-gay marriage movements, I hope you die.

There, I said it. I hope someone comes along and puts a bullet in your fucking head, or you get stomach cancer and die screaming and alone.

Yes. Let them all die.

Marcdachamp
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I can't believe this absolute gem of a post went unnoticed. I salute you sir on behalf of the entire bendis board.

I'm so used to laughing when he posts that it feels repetitive when I post an :lol:

Dreaded Anomaly
06-17-2011, 01:29 PM

This.

I would have thought so, but I do actually hate him more today.

Vigilance
06-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Well yeah, duh.

Great chain of being bitch! He's kicking it old school.

SteveFlack
06-17-2011, 01:51 PM
The bill's passage would "be the beginning of our country sliding toward ... anarchy," he said

I would love to see what he imagines the future would be like. I assume it's like "Mad Max" but with way more musical numbers.

Kind of like a Lady Gaga video.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I would love to see what he imagines the future would be like. I assume it's like "Mad Max" but with way more musical numbers.

Kind of like a Lady Gaga video.

Best dystopian future EVER.

batmanbooyah
06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Why's Donnie darkos sister a part of this group? I can't watch the dark knight anymore.

gaspar
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
"

I love this line. By his rationale his entire career should never have happened nor many of the opportunities granted him. If not for a minority pushing to be accepted he would be in the fields working rather than making a decent living playing sports. Its because of people contesting the acceptance of things just being the way they are that has allowed society to evolve beyond the societal petri dish. Women wouldn't be where they are today if David Tyree's rationale was applied historically. Blacks would still be slaves if we were to apply his rationale to their plight. Not to mention the biblical support of slavery as championed by politicians in the days prior to emancipation.

I wonder if Tyree is aware of what a contradiction his rationale is when applied to the minority HE is a part of. Maybe he is pro-slavery though. I have suspicions that is not the case but his logic seems to dictate it must. Or maybe God only applies to minorities David Tyree doesn't like. Either way....he's a moron.

I was about to say something similar, but you already did and better than I would have. So I'll just say :thumb: Agreed!

Foolish Mortal
06-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Our Todd would never go with some dude named 'Adam'.

Jef UK
06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
This is going to lessen my chances of ever naming one of my children David Tyree Eli Manning [Dan]

I'm no longer naming my daughter, "WillieLee."

19bernardo87
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM
"Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors the relationship with God".

Is it because both relationships sometimes involve getting on your knees?
Or does he think shouting "Oh God" in bed with a woman is actually an invitation for Him to join in (and have a "unholy trinity" of their own)?

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 03:36 PM
"Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors the relationship with God".

Is it because both relationships sometimes involve getting on your knees?
Or does he think shouting "Oh God" in bed with a woman is actually an invitation for Him to join in (and have a "unholy trinity" of their own)?

It's not gay if it's in a three-way.

Heroic Age Moe
06-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Sounds like a couple religions.

19bernardo87
It's not gay if it's in a three-way.

The Golden Rule! Or dare I say, "The Eleventh Commandment"? (I dare say!)

Mwstattel
Great. Now I have a non-petty reason to hate him.

Myk
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't want to necessarily call people who think this way "assholes" as much as really ignorant. Like racists and bigots can't be blamed if everything in their upbringing and personal culture led them to believe that 1+1= 28.

I really think people like Tyree believe their nonsense rationalizations, and it comes from what they think they know, as opposed to who they hate. They just need to be educated.

Edit: I mean, I say it like it's easy, but I do think it's possible. Or would like to. Like Tim Hardaway, for example.

Roman Noodles
06-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I was raised by two very conservative, religious parents one of whom believes that homosexuals are on par, if not worse, than murderers. And I never had anyone around who came and said or felt otherwise.

I didn't agree with my folks' opinions then, I don't agree now. So, to me, "this is how my parents and environment made me" is a very flawed excuse if you aren't in a third-world country, because in this day and age, there are simply NO excuses to be THIS ignorant. If you ARE this uneducated and this misinformed about any subject of this magnitude, guess what? It's your own damned fault.

Buk Was Right
06-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't want to necessarily call people who think this way "assholes" as much as really ignorant. Like racists and bigots can't be blamed if everything in their upbringing and personal culture led them to believe that 1+1= 28.

I really think people like Tyree believe their nonsense rationalizations, and it comes from what they think they know, as opposed to who they hate. They just need to be educated.

I necessarily and absolutely want to call him and anyone who shares his opinions on this issue an asshole.

You were brought up a certain way? You were raised fucking ignorant? Tough. Learn something. Expand your world view. And you know how you find out that that OTHER world view even exists? Someone calls bullshit and SHOWS it to you and maybe being nice about it ain't the way to go. It's a slow SLOW grind and I'd love to be compassionate and the bigger man and shit, but you know what? The olive branch is a shitty weapon. Turning the other cheek gets you smacked twice.

These people preach hate and fear so maybe you have to speak, if not the same language, than at least in the same TONE.

Dreaded Anomaly
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Edit: I mean, I say it like it's easy, but I do think it's possible. Or would like to. Like Tim Hardaway, for example.

Tyree was a pro football player, he's rich as hell. If he wanted to be educated, he would be. Ignorance does become willful at some point.

Corrina
06-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Great. Now I have a non-petty reason to hate him.

Yes, as a Pats fan, I feel the same. Now I can truly hate him.

Nelson
06-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Didn't know who David Tyree was when I clicked on this thread, and now I don't care to.

Fuck him.

Ray G.
06-24-2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2011/06/21/former-giants-super-bowl-hero-david-tyree-says-hed-give-back-catch-to-stop-gay-marriage/

Aaaaaaand there goes every last ounce of goodwill I had for the douche.

Roman Noodles
06-24-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2011/06/21/former-giants-super-bowl-hero-david-tyree-says-hed-give-back-catch-to-stop-gay-marriage/

My first thought was "I wonder how Elisabeth Hasselbeck will defend this ..." ... strange. :lol:\

What I hate are these bullshit articles stating "at least he is standing up for what he believes in..."

Would they still be saying that if he was trying to keep Mexican people from drinking at the same water fountains as us or white people from sitting in the front of buses?

Dreaded Anomaly
06-24-2011, 07:19 PM

Agree with Tyree or not, you have to give him credit for sticking up for what he believes in, and stating how he feels.

No, no, I do not.

Ray G.
06-24-2011, 07:20 PM
No, no, I do not.

I didn't even read the article.

All I know is, you do not throw the greatest moment in sports history under the bus to support bigotry. :mad:

Foolish Mortal
06-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Would they still be saying that if he was trying to keep Mexican people from drinking at the same water fountains as us or white people from sitting in the front of buses?
Because blacks and other minorities that are conservative Christians believe that homosexuals are homosexual by choice, and thus they don't equate them with themselves.

But I don't have to tell you this. You know this.

Roman Noodles
06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Because blacks and other minorities that are conservative Christians believe that homosexuals are homosexual by choice, and thus they don't equate them with themselves.

But I don't have to tell you this. You know this.

Yes, I know this, better than many will ever know it, but that's not my point. The basis of their bigotry is pointless, you shouldn't get "credit" for sticking up for your stupid, prejudiced beliefs. The very idea that you should is what ticks me off. My thing is, I personally could care less if you are an ignorant fool, just be a quiet ignorant fool. And keep your misguided beliefs to yourselves and out of my personal business.

However, quiet and foolish sadly tend to be mutually exclusive concepts.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
06-25-2011, 05:27 PM
I walked in Chelsea today and there were a lot of hot muscular guys on the street smiling. I guess Anarchy is upon us.

willtupper
06-25-2011, 06:09 PM
So this guy is self-hating and in the closet?

Okay. Got it.

Magnum V.I.
06-25-2011, 07:15 PM
I walked in Chelsea today and there were a lot of hot muscular guys on the street smiling. I guess Anarchy is upon us.

Watch your B-Hole man! it might B violated if you catch my drift.

I'm talking about Ass Rape.

MIKE D
06-27-2011, 02:34 AM
I didn't even read the article.

All I know is, you do not throw the greatest moment in sports history under the bus to support bigotry. :mad:

I missed the part where David Tyree was on the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.

Girlfriend In A Coma
06-27-2011, 04:10 AM
He doth protest too much, methinks.

But seriously- he sounds like an ignorant ass hat.

bachman
06-27-2011, 04:40 AM
If Marvel did a mini-series that featured David Tyree "trading away" his winning catch to Mephisto in order to stop gay marriage, I would buy it.

"Buy it" in every sense of the term.

SidekicksRevenge
06-27-2011, 04:43 AM
If Marvel did a mini-series that featured David Tyree "trading away" his winning catch to Mephisto in order to stop gay marriage, I would buy it.

"Buy it" in every sense of the term.

Little red bird flies in front of the ball, the catch isn't made, and therefore a two celebrating state senators don't have an in-the-moment kiss that makes them rethink everything they'd previously thought about gay marriage...

Ray G.
06-27-2011, 05:20 AM
I missed the part where David Tyree was on the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.

I didn't say second-greatest. :miffed:

Bill!
06-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Well, clearly, his single mother wasn't equipped to teach him how to be a man. So now he's just a little bitch.

Ben
06-27-2011, 05:31 AM
I just want to repeat an anecdote that I think I told on this board before. It seems appropriate.

I found out my stepmother was against gay marriage, which shocked me. She's not the brightest bulb, but I never thought she was a bigot. Well, it turned out that she thought they could have civil unions (separate but equal!), but that "marriage" was specifically (given to humans by God) for heterosexual couples who were going to procreate.

This was her belief. I don't think she thought about this for more than two seconds after her church told her this was to be her belief because she's well past reproductive age and married my father only a few years ago.

SidekicksRevenge
06-27-2011, 05:33 AM
I just want to repeat an anecdote that I think I told on this board before. It seems appropriate.

I found out my stepmother was against gay marriage, which shocked me. She's not the brightest bulb, but I never thought she was a bigot. Well, it turned out that she thought they could have civil unions (separate but equal!), but that "marriage" was specifically (given to humans by God) for heterosexual couples who were going to procreate.

This was her belief. I don't think she thought about this for more than two seconds after her church told her this was to be her belief because she's well past reproductive age and married my father only a few years ago.

I keep hearing this from folks, but when I ask them if my childless marriage to a woman should be taken away, they always come back to me with an "of course not."

King of Mars
06-27-2011, 06:54 AM
I was amused by the comments section on TMZ when they ran a story about Tyree's statement. People who frequent a site that specializes in vicious rumors and celebrity cootch shots pontificating about the immorality of same-sex marriage. Gotta love it. :lol:

Ben
06-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I keep hearing this from folks, but when I ask them if my childless marriage to a woman should be taken away, they always come back to me with an "of course not."You'd be grandfathered in, even though you'll never be a grandfather.