PDA

View Full Version : Sports People, I Present You a Question.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Is Boston America's new Title Town?

As Bill Simmons noted: (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6669763/a-black-gold-day-boston-finally)
Another sign: My buddy Sully's son Aidan said last night, "My grand slam is complete — 10 years, all four teams." He was talking about Boston championships. And the fact that he's only 10 years old. Good God.

Brian Defferding
06-17-2011, 06:29 AM
It's Green Bay or DEATH. :)

Ryudo
06-17-2011, 06:41 AM

As Bill Simmons noted: (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6669763/a-black-gold-day-boston-finally)

No.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-17-2011, 06:50 AM
It's Green Bay or DEATH. :)

Death then.

SidekicksRevenge
06-17-2011, 06:51 AM
I mean, if Boston or Green Bay are the only things on the table, I choose to never watch sports again. Ugh.

Brian Defferding
06-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Death then.

Don't make me send Brett Favre over the play for Cubs!

elcinco
06-17-2011, 06:57 AM
I mean, if Boston or Green Bay are the only things on the table, I choose to never watch sports again. Ugh.

I'm with you there.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-17-2011, 07:00 AM

He would be a step up at any position.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 07:03 AM

I'm with you there.

Let's hear the contenders. I'm not advocating Boston as the final answer, but hokey smoke, that's a good run for the major sports.

BriRedfern
06-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Patriots with three
Red Sox with two
Celtics with one
Bruins with one

That is SEVEN titles in the last ten years. And NINE appearances in the final games of the post season. The Lakers series and the Giant's game could have gone the other way and even then the people saying Boston isn't title town now would still be saying the same thing. Jealous!

Lets include the entire New England Region and include college championships in the discussion! U Conn and Boston college for the win!

RickLM
06-17-2011, 07:25 AM
An NBA championship, NHL championship, two World Series and three Super Bowls since Feb. 2002 seems to suggest a Yes answer.

SidekicksRevenge
06-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Patriots with three
Red Sox with two
Celtics with one
Bruins with one

That is SEVEN titles in the last ten years. And NINE appearances in the final games of the post season.

...and yet my wife's aunt with the horrible Boston accent still bitches about how awful it is to be a Boston sports fan and how downtrodden they are as a fanbase. Which is why they should never be included in this discussion. Even when they're winners, they're effing losers.

Marc Lombardi
06-17-2011, 07:31 AM
"Titletown"? No. The best place to live if you're a hometown sports fan and want to celebrate championships? Yes.

"Titletown" is the nickname given to Green Bay. Period. You don't call Batman "Big Blue" when he starts working out. That's Superman's nickname.

BriRedfern
06-17-2011, 07:32 AM
...and yet my wife's aunt with the horrible Boston accent still bitches about how awful it is to be a Boston sports fan and how downtrodden they are as a fanbase. Which is why they should never be included in this discussion. Even when they're winners, they're effing losers.

No, your wife's aunt is a fucking looser. don't lump me in with that whiny bitch. My town can, and recently has, kicked your town's ass in every major sport.

dougmac
06-17-2011, 07:38 AM
No, your wife's aunt is a fucking looser. don't lump me in with that whiny bitch. My town can, and recently has, kicked your town's ass in every major sport.

Take it easy on him; he's from a AAA/College town, he doesn't know better. You also forgot to mention BU hockey in your include the colleges post, but with so many titles in so many sports it's tough to keep track.

SidekicksRevenge
06-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Hate to say it, but it's not just her. I know way to many Boston fans that are on a ledge every time the Sox are down by one run in the 3rd inning of one of 162 regular season games the day after thumping their chests and rifling off a "my town kicks your town's ass" rant.

BriRedfern
06-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Take it easy on him; he's from a AAA/College town, he doesn't know better. You also forgot to mention BU hockey in your include the colleges post, but with so many titles in so many sports it's tough to keep track.

I did mean to include them, and did UNH take one as well?

BriRedfern
06-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Hate to say it, but it's not just her. I know way to many Boston fans that are on a ledge every time the Sox are down by one run in the 3rd inning of one of 162 regular season games the day after thumping their chests and rifling off a "my town kicks your town's ass" rant.

They are a passionate lot I'll give you that. Thank god they have so many titles to fall back on when things get rough.

DAVE
06-17-2011, 08:27 AM
How could it not be?

J. Wilson
06-17-2011, 05:14 PM

Like the Cubs don't have enough old guys who can't throw anymore and lose in bunches.

J. Wilson
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Patriots with three
Red Sox with two
Celtics with one
Bruins with one

That is SEVEN titles in the last ten years. And NINE appearances in the final games of the post season. The Lakers series and the Giant's game could have gone the other way and even then the people saying Boston isn't title town now would still be saying the same thing. Jealous!

Lets include the entire New England Region and include college championships in the discussion! U Conn and Boston college for the win!

Don't forget Boston University in men's hockey.

J. Wilson
06-17-2011, 05:16 PM
"Titletown"? No. The best place to live if you're a hometown sports fan and want to celebrate championships? Yes.

"Titletown" is the nickname given to Green Bay. Period. You don't call Batman "Big Blue" when he starts working out. That's Superman's nickname.

I agree with you. Green Bay can keep the title of Titletown, I just want to see my Boston teams keep winning titles.

J. Wilson
06-17-2011, 05:18 PM
I did mean to include them, and did UNH take one as well?

And the BC coed sailing team won a national title just a few weeks ago.

The Robot Lord of Tokyo
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I would call it Titletown if I thought the Bruins had a chance to repeat. Hockey is too hard to repeat.

Kevin T Brown
06-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Nope.

'Cause the Patriots ain't in Boston. They're in Foxborogh. 30 miles away is not "in Boston".

SteveFlack
06-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Nope. Still in the Bronx.

Your Pal, Carl
06-18-2011, 02:49 AM
It pains me to say it, but yeah they are. A championship in all four major North American sports in a 10 year span. I don't think that's ever been done. Certainly not in the past 50 years.

BriRedfern
06-18-2011, 04:22 AM
Nope.

'Cause the Patriots ain't in Boston. They're in Foxborogh. 30 miles away is not "in Boston".
The NY Jets and NY Giant are in New Jersey.

The Patriots victory parades are always in Boston.

Ryudo
06-18-2011, 04:57 AM
The NY Jets and NY Giant are in New Jersey.

The Patriots victory parades are always in Boston.

"Were" always in Boston.

:D

ArttyG12
06-18-2011, 06:59 AM
"Were" always in Boston.

:lol: Far and away the best shit-talk post in this thread. Well done.

BriRedfern
06-18-2011, 07:17 AM
"Were" always in Boston.

Fair enough. Oh, did I mention that there is a Championship parade in Boston today? We don't need to rely on a single team for that shit. We are title town.

Brewtown Andy
06-18-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm with you there. I want to join Team "FUCK GREEN BAY AND BOSTON!"