PDA

View Full Version : [science] Serious Help for BURNED HAND or FINGERS!

Udiguhgudibuh
06-16-2011, 08:02 PM
:thumb: Having found a "cure" for seriously burned hands/fingers, I thought this topic deserved its own thread. The remedy has worked for me every time, for many years.

Reaching for a very hot pan that I thought was merely being used as a serving dish, I heard the skin on my fingers sizzle-- and dropped the pan. Same story when I tried to clean a stove part that I thought wasn't hot.

:?: What to do? I immediately plunged the burned hand into a bowl/beaker of ice water-- and kept stirring it so the affected tissue was extremely cold at all times. How long? More than an hour-- long after any burning sensation returned when I pulled the hand out. (Yes, expect the hand to hurt from being so damned cold for so long!)

Result? Zero blistering, redness or pain the next day. The skin felt simply "tight" from being dried out.

Butter? Forget it. Bleach? Worse. Exacerbates the burn. Freezing the burn in ice water (stirring constantly) until you can barely stand it? THAT WORKS! (Hey, I'm a medical writer!)
.................................................. ...................

*For non-medical answers to urban-legend questions, see Snopes.com.

MayorMitch100
06-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I usually use peanut butter.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I usually use peanut butter.

:dunno: And how did that work for you?

gaspar
06-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Bleach?

dougmac
06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Bleach?

we covered this yesterday

Bill!
06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I keep hearing this "medical writer".

TIP
06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Amputation.

Jason California
06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I keep hearing this "medical writer".

I was going to make a similar joke! :)

McGill
06-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Amputation.

That's how I roll. If I can't fix it in 10 minutes, the bitch is coming off.

batmanbooyah
06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
whenever i get a burned finger, i just start sucking my own dick. makes the pain go right away.

Briomega
06-16-2011, 09:23 PM
You're supposed to stick it in your ass.

Pia Guerra
06-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Every doctor on the planet recommends using cool water, not ice, as ice can further damage skin and nerve endings... but hey, Ugh says they're all wrong so by all means go with that.

:roll:

Pia Guerra
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
But oh wait, this can work if you're really into Dead Man's Hand fappage.

Carry on Ugh.

Marc Lombardi
06-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Pia, you drew an amazing comic on what is essentially a post-apocalyptic event. Any survival advice you can give us? Or can you teach us to shoot like 355?

Greygor
06-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Ask yourself, what would Harry Dresden do

Marc Lombardi
06-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Ask yourself, what would Harry Dresden do

Stars and stones, Greygor! He would have had better control of his "Fuego" spell and not gotten burned in the first place!

Ben
06-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Every doctor on the planet recommends using cool water, not ice, as ice can further damage skin and nerve endings... but hey, Ugh says they're all wrong so by all means go with that.

:roll:Why would I trust someone who doesn't use any bolded words? :sherlock:

Greygor
06-17-2011, 02:45 AM
Stars and stones, Greygor! He would have had better control of his "Fuego" spell and not gotten burned in the first place!

:lol:

Pia Guerra
06-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Pia, you drew an amazing comic on what is essentially a post-apocalyptic event. Any survival advice you can give us? Or can you teach us to shoot like 355?

Lean into it. Don't think about the shot you're firing but the one after that. Squeeze the trigger, don't pull.

Don't eat from dented cans.

Ryudo
06-17-2011, 03:59 AM
(Hey, I'm a medical writer!)

majorjoe23
06-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Wrap your hand in bacon, then pee on it.

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-17-2011, 04:20 AM
I really hope I never have to rely on a medical book that you've written.

IPeacock
06-17-2011, 04:20 AM

On a similar note. Frank Castle's lesson for proper care of amputated appendages (as seen in the Barracuda arc) is apparently correct. The severed part has to be bagged before being put on ice or the ice will damge/destroy the nerve endings and make reattachment difficult, if not impossible.

IPeacock
06-17-2011, 04:21 AM
But oh wait, this can work if you're really into Dead Man's Hand fappage.

Carry on Ugh.
Sitting on your hand for a half-hour is easier, and you can save your ice for soda.

Marc Lombardi
06-17-2011, 04:24 AM
Relying on a medical writer for medical advice is like relying on Bendis for spelling advice. Just because he's a comic writer doesn't mean he can spell.

Shane W
06-17-2011, 04:44 AM
This is retarded advice.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 07:32 AM

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless Web site."

:nonono2: I slave and slave for this site-- and my reward? Vicious ridicule!

Yes, the AMA Encyclopedia of Medicine recommends holding your first-degree burn under running, cold water in the kitchen sink-- but how long do you want to stand there with your butt bent over the sink? Borrrrring, and doesn't stop the pain.

I love my doctor (smart guy!), but medicine evolves-- or we'd still be using leeches and blood letting to calm down. I know my "burn cure" works, and has no risk of frostbite. Hippocrates got it right: "First, do no harm."

:cool: If you want to treat a paper cut with lemon juice, go for it! I'm just reporting a tested first-degree burn treatment that works.

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Maybe you should just participate in the conversation without attempting to hand down pearls of wisdom from your mighty palace atop the high mountain fastnesses.

One would think that balancing on a soapbox on the back of a high horse at the top of an ivory tower might make for a shaky foundation from which to dispense knowledge.

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-17-2011, 07:51 AM
When my hand gets cold, I put a frying pan on the stove and just lay my hand on that for an hour. SHOW ME WHERE I'M WRONG!

Ryudo
06-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Yes, the AMA Encyclopedia of Medicine recommends holding your first-degree burn under running, cold water in the kitchen sink-- but how long do you want to stand there with your butt bent over the sink? Borrrrring, and doesn't stop the pain.

I love my doctor (smart guy!), but medicine evolves-- or we'd still be using leeches and blood letting to calm down. I know my "burn cure" works, and has no risk of frostbite. Hippocrates got it right: "First, do no harm."

:cool: If you want to treat a paper cut with lemon juice, go for it! I'm just reporting a tested first-degree burn treatment that works.

Yeah, let's go with your advice over the American Medical Association. What do they know anyway?

Ben
06-17-2011, 08:01 AM
When my hand gets cold, I put a frying pan on the stove and just lay my hand on that for an hour. SHOW ME WHERE I'M WRONG!
The American Medical Association recommends putting your hand into a hot oven instead, but how long do you want to crouch in front of an oven all day! Medicine evolves!

Ben
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Also, if you're married and you burn your penis, just stick your penis into your wife's vagina! Am I right, fellas? Eh? EH?!

Artie Pink
06-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Wow! Next you'll have a cure for thirst!

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-17-2011, 08:11 AM
The American Medical Association recommends putting your hand into a hot oven instead, but how long do you want to crouch in front of an oven all day! Medicine evolves!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know just a LITTLE bit more than the AMA.

BriRedfern
06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Also, if you're married and you burn your penis, just stick your penis into your wife's vagina! Am I right, fellas? Eh? EH?!

Icky.

IPeacock
06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Maybe you should just participate in the conversation without attempting to hand down pearls of wisdom from your mighty palace atop the high mountain fastnesses.

One would think that balancing on a soapbox on the back of a high horse at the top of an ivory tower might make for a shaky foundation from which to dispense knowledge.

That's a Gold Medal post right there.

Syntastic
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
I love my doctor (smart guy!), but medicine evolves-- or we'd still be using leeches and blood letting to calm down.

I believe that by combining the teachings of old world cures with new technology and medicine, you can achieve the best results. Using this belief, I held a frozen leach on a burn for 3 days yesterday. The burn totally disappeared and I gained the power of flight for 37 1/2 mins after the leach was removed.

I'm personally writing to the AMA and asking for them to revise their book with my new findings.

Artie Pink
06-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Ugi, maybe you can help. Every night, I get this overwhelming sense of... I dunno, tiredness, I guess you'd call it. And the later it gets, the more tired I feel. Is there any cure?!

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
ugi, maybe you can help. Every night, i get this overwhelming sense of... I dunno, tiredness, i guess you'd call it. And the later it gets, the more tired i feel. Is there any cure?!

i will answer this question!

Dear jim,

sorry, you are as good as dead. Get your affairs in order. Death awaits you.

Sincerely,

the doctor man

Jason California
06-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Not quite. Treacle's dad is a doctor, and her mom is a nurse. They use Clorox.

Ugi, maybe you can help. Every night, I get this overwhelming sense of... I dunno, tiredness, I guess you'd call it. And the later it gets, the more tired I feel. Is there any cure?!

You obviously need some cocaine in your diet. Maybe some meth.

Hate_Prime
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Yes because replacing that pain with pain from exposure to extreme cold for over an hour, all the while flirting with nerve and or tissue damage on your extremities is so much more exciting.

Pia Guerra
06-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Ugh, your 'advice' is both idiotic and potentially harmful. Vicious ridicule is more than you deserve.

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Ugh, your 'advice' is both idiotic and potentially harmful. Vicious ridicule is more than you deserve.

I chuckled.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM

:Ponder: If I may.

It appears, Jim, that you're suffering from symptoms of concussion. Do you also experience dizzy spells, lack of focus, blurred vision or nausea? Your condition is quite serious, seek treatment from a doctor immediately.

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 10:48 AM

"Whoever thinks of going to bed before twelve o'clock is a scoundrel."
- Samuel Johnson

Jim,

:eek: This is a serious situation. In any event, do not lay down. This could lead to a condition known as sleeping, which, if repeated, could become a chronic behavior.

:sleepy: I recommend wandering the streets until dawn with bills of large denominations hanging out of your pockets. Helpful folks will keep you awake by attempting to relieve you of this burden. If you feel you cannot remain vertical, have a friend tie you up to a lamppost in a public park. Wearing clothes will only make you feel drowsier, so I recommend you do this while completely disrobed.

:dazed: I'm sure any qualified medical writer would concur.

Artie Pink
06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Ugga, do you know anything about cars, too?

There's this pedal in my car (2003 Honda Civic; green), right in front of the driver's seat, and every time I press down on it, my car just STOPS. Any idea? It's been like this ever since I got it.

Urgur the Gurgur
06-17-2011, 11:30 AM

There's this pedal in my car (2003 Honda Civic; green), right in front of the driver's seat, and every time I press down on it, my car just STOPS. Any idea? It's been like this ever since I got it.

That's the accelerator pedal. Someone installed it upside down. It would cost more to repair than to buy a new car. I recommend you abandon it in a corn field.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM

:Ponder: While automobiles are not my specialty, I am indeed familiar with the rectangular pedal to which you refer. It is intended strictly as a decorative element. Pressing this pedal only increases the likelihood of unsightly scuffing-- and the pedal isn't ever really needed anyway.

This simple fact is easily verified the next time you drive: you'll soon see that something sturdy (e.g., building, tree, another car) will effortlessly stop your automobile for you!

When you have verified this simple fact, check back-- and I may be able to assist you with your likely, newly-acquired medical needs.

Taxman
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Ugh, your 'advice' is both idiotic and potentially harmful. Vicious ridicule is more than you deserve.:lol:

Taxman
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Ugga, do you know anything about cars, too?As long as you don't drive anything other than a 1973 Impala, the dude is one of the most skilled mechanics on the planet.

Fourthman
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
I guess medical writers don't subscribe to the maxim that laughter is the best medicine.

IPeacock
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
:Ponder: While automobiles are not my specialty, I am indeed familiar with the rectangular pedal to which you refer. It is intended strictly as a decorative element. Pressing this pedal only increases the likelihood of unsightly scuffing-- and the pedal isn't ever really needed anyway.

This simple fact is easily verified the next time you drive: you'll soon see that something sturdy (e.g., building, tree, another car) will effortlessly stop your automobile for you!

When you have verified this simple fact, check back-- and I may be able to assist you with your likely, newly-acquired medical needs.

Do you have any actual medical experience/training?

Not to sound snarky, but you started a thread arbitrarily recommending a supplement to people. That's a terribly dangerous and irresponsible thing to do, especially when you go to great lengths to position your self as a fitness expert.

when you say you were a medical writer, what do you mean?

I used to be a reporter and wrote about tons of things I knew next to nothing about. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on pretty much anything.

For example I wrote probably 150 obituaries but do not have the slightest idea how to prepare a body for burial, or offer a family grief counseling and would not feel comfortable dispensing advice.
A quick google search of accredited medal websites turns up that they ALL say not to put a burn under ice water.

Also, how often do you think we burn our hands and fingers?

Jef UK
06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I've got a big secret to share: asparin will help relieve the pain afterwards.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Do you have any actual medical experience/training?

Not to sound snarky, but you started a thread arbitrarily recommending a supplement to people. That's a terribly dangerous and irresponsible thing to do, especially when you go to great lengths to position your self as a fitness expert.

when you say you were a medical writer, what do you mean?

I used to be a reporter and wrote about tons of things I knew next to nothing about. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on pretty much anything.

For example I wrote probably 150 obituaries but do not have the slightest idea how to prepare a body for burial, or offer a family grief counseling and would not feel comfortable dispensing advice.
A quick google search of accredited medal websites turns up that they ALL say not to put a burn under ice water.

Also, how often do you think we burn our hands and fingers?

:thumb: Excellent question.
As verified by The American Society of Journalists and Authors, "medical writers" never have medical degrees. We are simply writers, who generally specialize in one of approximately two dozen medical specialties-- my specialty being physical fitness.

The primary purpose of a medical writer is to translate/clarify scientific studies and such into accessible, readable English-- with little medical jargon. I have been doing it professionally since the early 1980s.

During the "aerobics craze," I was one of the first to recognize that combining cardio and weight/resistance is vastly more effective (3.2 times the fat loss while simultaneously gaining muscle) than cardio alone.

My "intuitive" leap was verified by independent experts from 1990 to 1995. My partners and I created The FIRM brand of workout videos-- but were forced to sell the brand (to pay for frivolous lawsuits) in 2002. I can't vouch for videos made since that sale; our original work (known as "the classics") can be seen on YouTube. (Search for "the firm volume 4," for a sample.)

Fitness research "solidified" by about 1995. Nutrition information is still very fluid, and often contradictory.

How often have I burned myself? In the typical kitchen accidents, I have seriously burned my right hand twice. Very painful, of course. Ice water cured the problem completely-- both times. Yes, web sources recommend "cold running water." I disagree, and have tested my alternative with perfect results.

As for psyllium (generic Metamucil), I have used and recommended it for years. (I operated gyms for decades, and The FIRM brand has sold more than 100 million workouts.) Psyllium is not a "chemical" laxative; it simply adds soluble bulk to the diet (and lowers cholesterol).

These days, I supervise a lawsuit to recoup what I can from $166 million we lost, look after my sons, and write on the Web.

This site is very fortunate to have mlpeters posting on a "fitness expert" thread. He got into the field slightly after I did, is extremely knowledgeable, an excellent writer, and generous with his time. (After answering the same basic questions for 20 years, I currently spend little time it.)

Why did I start this thread? I saw another thread recommending bleach for burns. Not good.

Do I actually think I know more than many/most doctors in a couple of my specialties? Yes!

EmarAndZeb
06-17-2011, 01:25 PM
I usually just eat my hand off so that I can reabsorb its biomass and rebuild it from the standard template.

I sometimes forget how inconvenient these nuisances must be for the rest of you.

ShortStack
06-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I am having so much garfield-minus-garfield style fun with the ignore function right now.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
On a similar note. Frank Castle's lesson for proper care of amputated appendages (as seen in the Barracuda arc) is apparently correct. The severed part has to be bagged before being put on ice or the ice will damge/destroy the nerve endings and make reattachment difficult, if not impossible.

:scared: Had I burned my hand OFF, I might see the point. All my nerve endings are (and always have been) intact. Ice water doesn't even make a hand numb! It simply relieves the pain-- unless you take it out too soon.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
I am having so much garfield-minus-garfield style fun with the ignore function right now.

:Ponder: Okay, I'll bite. What (if anything) does that mean?

Briomega
06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Injured digits go in the anus. It's in the bible.

Caley Tibbittz
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM

Well, to be fair, no one asked you to "slave", so I'm not sure what your expectations were.

I have you on ignore, because you don't post like anything within the spectrum of a normal person. Your approach doesn't make for natural conversation. And I don't know why this is.

It could be you're just a little odd. That's fair. I'm a little odd too. If that's all, I'd just try posting like you talk in real life (I assume you don't use bolded words and emoticons in casual conversations, though if anyone could find a way...).

Or maybe you're not interested in really conversing. May be you just want to be odd and preach at people and never listen. And that's your choice. I think it's a shame if that's the way you go, because it must take a decent amount of intelligence to go to the trouble of being this different, and I think you really might have something to contribute here if you just relaxed and acted a bit more naturally.

Here's the thing: you may think there are a lot of jerks here, but this really isn't a community that's going to gang up and mock a person out of nowhere. If that's happening, it might be you giving them fodder and rubbing them the wrong way. I've been that person here, so I know what it's like. And it's pretty easy to step back and reassess your approach, if you want to.

Food for thought. Feel free to listen or ignore it.

Caley Tibbittz
06-17-2011, 03:24 PM

You Garfield reference fills my heart with joy.:)

Jef UK
06-17-2011, 03:28 PM

:heart:

19bernardo87
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM
[wrong post]

Jef UK
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM

:heart::heart::heart:

Jef UK
06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
When?

Jef UK
06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
"Marriage is the only relationship that actually mirrors the relationship with God".

Is it because both relationships sometimes involve getting on your knees?
Or does he think shouting "Oh God" in bed with a woman is actually an invitation for Him to join in (and have a "holy trinity" of their own)?

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:: heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::h eart::heart::heart::heart:
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:: heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::h eart::heart::heart::heart:

19bernardo87
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM

Right back at you, sir!

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 05:08 PM

http://www.psdgraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/1-google-logo-tutorial.gif

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Garfield Minus Garfield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_Minus_Garfield)

Forum FAQ: Dealing With Troublesome Users (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_troublesome_us ers)

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, to be fair, no one asked you to "slave", so I'm not sure what your expectations were.

I have you on ignore, because you don't post like anything within the spectrum of a normal person. Your approach doesn't make for natural conversation. And I don't know why this is.

It could be you're just a little odd. That's fair. I'm a little odd too. If that's all, I'd just try posting like you talk in real life (I assume you don't use bolded words and emoticons in casual conversations, though if anyone could find a way...).

Or maybe you're not interested in really conversing. May be you just want to be odd and preach at people and never listen. And that's your choice. I think it's a shame if that's the way you go, because it must take a decent amount of intelligence to go to the trouble of being this different, and I think you really might have something to contribute here if you just relaxed and acted a bit more naturally.

Here's the thing: you may think there are a lot of jerks here, but this really isn't a community that's going to gang up and mock a person out of nowhere. If that's happening, it might be you giving them fodder and rubbing them the wrong way. I've been that person here, so I know what it's like. And it's pretty easy to step back and reassess your approach, if you want to.

Food for thought. Feel free to listen or ignore it.

:blah: No, people take me too seriously. (My bad.) I write in a style that's "hyper-verbose" just because I think it's more fun and playful than pretending to be normal. (If I wanted "normal," I'd watch TV. Boring.) In my mind, I'm never laughing "at" people-- or even near them. No fun in that!

I like humor that's droll and circuitous. Stevapalooza and Hero Boy are two masters of "short form" humor (although there are many others) that doesn't really lead to conversation because it stands on its own.

Give-and-take conversation is good, but the Internet has a way of stifling it. A "quick Google search" can be used to confirm or reject any idea! It's almost as if people don't have actual lives, experiences, and stories anymore!

My number-one rule is, of course, to be bold!

Pia Guerra
06-17-2011, 05:32 PM

And your second is to toss ethics out the window.

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 05:32 PM
A "quick Google search" can be used to confirm or reject any idea!

It can also be used to look up timely references that you don't get. Like Garfield Minus Garfield and the Forum Ignore Function.

Caley Tibbittz
06-17-2011, 05:55 PM
:blah: No, people take me too seriously. (My bad.) I write in a style that's "hyper-verbose" just because I think it's more fun and playful than pretending to be normal. (If I wanted "normal," I'd watch TV. Boring.) In my mind, I'm never laughing "at" people-- or even near them. No fun in that!

I like humor that's droll and circuitous. Stevapalooza and Hero Boy are two masters of "short form" humor (although there are many others) that doesn't really lead to conversation because it stands on its own.

Give-and-take conversation is good, but the Internet has a way of stifling it. A "quick Google search" can be used to confirm or reject any idea! It's almost as if people don't have actual lives, experiences, and stories anymore!

It's funny you mention TV, because your posts read like you're playing a character (though this one was a bit more streamlined and cogent than most).

I think it's possible to engage with the world with a divergent and wholly individual personality without coming across as overly thought out and self-consciously posed. And maybe that's not a fair description, but that's how it comes across (at least to me). It feels like you're just trying too hard.

As far as Google searches are concerned, I'm having difficulty seeing where fact checking is a bad thing.

Anyway, thanks for the reply -- you certainly didn't owe me one, since it was an unsolicited critique. I think it takes some character to take that sort of thing in stride.

Boldness is great. There are too many followers and absent-mindedly bland people in the world. I just think if you took it down a notch (like you mostly did in the reply I'm replying to), you might just connect a little better around here.

P.S. TV takes too many knocks. For all the pointless crap, there is some truly great timeless fiction and truly brilliant comedy being done there. There always has been something worth watching. Okay, off soapbox now.

IPeacock
06-17-2011, 06:00 PM
:thumb: Excellent question.
As verified by The American Society of Journalists and Authors, "medical writers" never have medical degrees. We are simply writers, who generally specialize in one of approximately two dozen medical specialties-- my specialty being physical fitness.

The primary purpose of a medical writer is to translate/clarify scientific studies and such into accessible, readable English-- with little medical jargon. I have been doing it professionally since the early 1980s.

:Ponder:You're proving my POINT. By your own definition, being a "medical writer" would only make you an INFORMATION MIDDLEMAN it wouldn’t put you in a position to dispense medical advice because you lack the ENTIRETY OF THE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE needed to do so.

Also here's what I found in under 30 seconds on Google on the Global Heath Center's webpage.

Studies have shown serious hazards that are inherent in taking products containing psyllium. Possible reactions include:
:sherlock:Skin irritations or hives

:sherlock:Anaphylaxis - An acute multi-system allergic reaction that can lead to :Punisher:DEATH:Punisher: in severe cases. Constriction of airways (resulting in choking) is a common symptom.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 07:51 PM
:sherlock: Establishing Logical Perspective

Years ago right here in the USA, there was a true account of someone who became seriously ill every Monday. For months, baffled specialists could not explain the peculiar weekly sickness. When the cause was finally uncovered, the villain was an allergic reaction to colored ink used to print the Sunday funny papers. True story. Does this make the Sunday funnies "unethical"?

The moral? Nothing you touch, breath or ingest is absolutely safe for all seven billion people currently living on the planet. By simply going out of doors, you could be struck by lightning. By staying indoors, however, you could be killed by a meteorite falling through the roof, or a block of frozen waste falling from an airplane.

CONCLUSION
Nothing whatsoever is entirely safe for everyone everywhere on the planet. Like medical writers, doctors simply report the research of others. When I told my doctor that I was taking psyllium/Metamucil, he said, "That's good. It's good soluble fiber shown to lower cholesterol." Ask your doctor, and you'll get the same answer.

This thread peaked the "silly meter" several posts ago.

IPeacock
06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
:sherlock: Establishing Logical Perspective

Years ago right here in the USA, there was a true account of someone who became seriously ill every Monday. For months, baffled specialists could not explain the peculiar weekly sickness. When the cause was finally uncovered, the villain was an allergic reaction to colored ink used to print the Sunday funny papers. True story. Does this make the Sunday funnies "unethical"?

The moral? Nothing you touch, breath or ingest is absolutely safe for all seven billion people currently living on the planet. By simply going out of doors, you could be struck by lightning. By staying indoors, however, you could be killed by a meteorite falling through the roof, or a block of frozen waste falling from an airplane.

CONCLUSION
Nothing whatsoever is entirely safe for everyone everywhere on the planet. Like medical writers, doctors simply report the research of others. When I told my doctor that I was taking psyllium/Metamucil, he said, "That's good. It's good soluble fiber shown to lower cholesterol." Ask your doctor, and you'll get the same answer.

This thread peaked the "silly meter" several posts ago.

First of all the exception does not prove the rule.

Second of all, unlike medical writers doctors are actually doctors.

The point is that you are in no position to be recommending it, and the fact that you ran it by your doctor proves that. I’m not saying no one should take it, but they, like you did, should run it by their Doctor.
Or people should eat Oatmeal and leafy green vegetables and forgo any supplements.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Another Medical Risk Is Gone: Mary Hart Retires

In 1991, The New England Journal of Medicine reported the case of a woman whose epileptic seizures were induced by hearing the voice of Entertainment Tonight star Mary Hart. :blah:

CONCLUSION
Nothing is truly safe. Mary seemed so nice!

Kefky
06-17-2011, 08:50 PM
I have quite a few people on ignore these days.

But none of them is Ugidu.

Phantom Eagle
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
This thread peaked the "silly meter" several from the get-go.

Fixed that for ya.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-18-2011, 11:28 AM
And your second is to toss ethics out the window.

:dunno: "Unethical"? That is the only time I've had that adjective applied to me. Wrong. I've saved several lives-- and extended many more.

If you have a problem with psyllium, you really should be protesting any store selling Metamucil, latex gloves, aspirin, shellfish, peanuts, nuts in general, and exercise promoters-- all proven causes of death by anaphylactic shock.

Jason California
06-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Your perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds is inspirational Udi. Keep getting the truth out there.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Your perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds is inspirational Udi. Keep getting the truth out there.

:thumb: Thanks, Mr. California. I owe much to our shared quest for "truthiness." Yes, I'm accustomed to being hopelessly outnumbered and gang banged-- and not in the good way!

For the infinitesimal few who are possibly subject to anaphylactic shock, bees, wasps and nettles are even more potential culprits. Diphedryl (brand name "Benedryl") is an antihistamine worth keeping within crawling distance if you are ever afflicted with anaphylactic shock symptoms.

Phantom Eagle
06-18-2011, 01:34 PM

http://bahairants.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/irony-meter.gif

Udiguhgudibuh
06-18-2011, 03:03 PM
:thumb: As luck would have it, I splashed boiling water on the tip of my left "impudent digit" just an hour ago!

Against AMA guidelines, I rubbed the affected area against an ice cube (not cold tap water as recommended) and miraculously, I'M TYPING AGAIN-- ENTIRELY PAIN FREE!

CONCLUSION
Having learned the prescribed method, break it and monitor the difference to make sure it's an improvement.
If it's an improvement, YOU ARE NOW "the lead sled dog"!
Always Remember: "If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."

BriRedfern
06-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I have kitchen "hot hands", but I have never gotten a burn from splashing boiling water on my finger.

BriRedfern
06-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Until the lead dog dies.

Hate_Prime
06-18-2011, 04:40 PM
:thumb: As luck would have it, I splashed boiling water on the tip of my left "impudent digit" just an hour ago!

Against AMA guidelines, I rubbed the affected area against an ice cube (not cold tap water as recommended) and miraculously, I'M TYPING AGAIN-- ENTIRELY PAIN FREE!

CONCLUSION
Having learned the prescribed method, break it and monitor the difference to make sure it's an improvement.
If it's an improvement, YOU ARE NOW "the lead sled dog"!

Water is a poor heat conductor. You would have to DIP your finger in boiling water for a few seconds before getting a burn.

For someone who is supposed to be pedantic, you sure seem quick to interpret completely unremarkable things as miracles.

(Psst, when people walk on red hot coals, it's not special faith powers keeping their feet from getting burned.)

Briomega
06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
(Psst, when people walk on red hot coals, it's not special faith powers keeping their feet from getting burned.)

Is it psyllium?

Pia Guerra
06-18-2011, 05:55 PM
:dunno: "Unethical"? That is the only time I've had that adjective applied to me. Wrong. I've saved several lives-- and extended many more.

If you have a problem with psyllium, you really should be protesting any store selling Metamucil, latex gloves, aspirin, shellfish, peanuts, nuts in general, and exercise promoters-- all proven causes of death by anaphylactic shock.

I'd say telling people to immerse a burn in ice water for an hour is pretty damn unethical.

As for those prone to anaphylaxis, not as infinitesimal as you think: I'm allergic to certain insect stings and medications and I know quite a few people who carry epi pens for various allergies. And while I think the onus is on us to pay attention to what items have what ingredients in them, anyone claiming any kind of medical authority (writerly or otherwise) who then dispenses advice without pointing out the obvious risks is a douchebag.

Phantom Eagle
06-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I'd say telling people to immerse a burn in ice water for an hour is pretty damn unethical.

As for those prone to anaphylaxis, not as infinitesimal as you think: I'm allergic to certain insect stings and medications and I know quite a few people who carry epi pens for various allergies. And while I think the onus is on us to pay attention to what items have what ingredients in them, anyone claiming any kind of medical authority (writerly or otherwise) who then dispenses advice without pointing out the obvious risks is a douchebag.

:heart:

Udiguhgudibuh
06-19-2011, 09:11 AM

:?: What, Pia Guerra, are the insects and medications to which you've had allergic reactions-- and what were the specific symptoms? At what age?

I once had a secretary who was so sensitive to artificial sweetener that she had to have those little paper packs of it removed from any restaurant table she used. My wife was allergic to bee stings. One or both of my sons may have inherited it, but neither has been stung yet.

Regarding using ice water on a burn, it definitely works on a relatively small area (a hand or foot), and doesn't result in either hypothermia or frostbite.

Shane W
06-19-2011, 09:57 AM
:?: What, Pia Guerra, are the insects and medications to which you've had allergic reactions-- and what were the specific symptoms? At what age?

I once had a secretary who was so sensitive to artificial sweetener that she had to have those little paper packs of it removed from any restaurant table she used. My wife was allergic to bee stings. One or both of my sons may have inherited it, but neither has been stung yet.

Regarding using ice water on a burn, it definitely works on a relatively small area (a hand or foot), and doesn't result in either hypothermia or frostbite.

It will and can if you do it for an hour.

Caley Tibbittz
06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
What if I get a friction burn on my hand from masturbating too much? What do I do then?

Udiguhgudibuh
06-19-2011, 01:22 PM
What if I get a friction burn on my hand from masturbating too much? What do I do then?

As a lubricant, switch to Triple Antibiotic Ointment (or creme): neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate, and bacitracin zinc.
Vegitarian? Extra virgin olive oil reduces friction.

Caley Tibbittz
06-19-2011, 01:33 PM
As a lubricant, switch to Triple Antibiotic Ointment (or creme): neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate, and bacitracin zinc.
Vegetarian? Extra virgin olive oil reduces friction.

I had steak for two meals yesterday. Two, dammit.:-x

Udiguhgudibuh
06-19-2011, 03:40 PM
It will and can if you do it for an hour.

:dunno: Well, I'm living proof that it caused no harm. To be specific, I put my palm and fingers in ice water, and toes and ball of my foot in ice water for an hour (each time). To make the pain abate, I had to frequently re-stir the ice water to ensure adequate coldness.

Perhaps I'm a pioneer at the frontier of effective appendage-freezing. Damfino. Worked 4 me.

bradical
06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
:dunno: Well, I'm living proof that it caused no harm. To be specific, I put my palm and fingers in ice water, and toes and ball of my foot in ice water for an hour (each time). To make the pain abate, I had to frequently re-stir the ice water to ensure adequate coldness.

Perhaps I'm a pioneer at the frontier of effective appendage-freezing. Damfino. Worked 4 me.

no, you're anecdotal proof.

and, to insure adequate coldness of icewater, you should probably add more ice rather than stir it since that would actually cause the water to warm.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-20-2011, 03:45 AM
no, you're anecdotal proof.

and, to insure adequate coldness of icewater, you should probably add more ice rather than stir it since that would actually cause the water to warm.

True, sir, it's only anecdotal proof.

Technically, stirring ice water would slightly increase the heat of the ice water, but it also lowers/equalizes the temperature by equalizing the temperature of the ice-water mixture-- so that the whole brew is as close as possible to 32 degrees farenheit. The bigger reason for stirring was to keep the cold water next to the skin, since the hand/foot quickly heated the adjacent water-- and increased the pain.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-20-2011, 02:51 PM
:shifty: Another danger that may cause seizures in epileptics: dance club strobe lights! Is any product or service absolutely safe? NO.

This topic leads to wonderful disclaimer/safety warnings on products-- especially those written by non-speakers of English:

Sign in restaurant in Sweden: "All Bottled Waters Are Personally Passed By the Manager."
Sign over bar in Switzerland: "Do Not Have Babies At the Bar."
Sign on paring knife made in Korea: "Not For Use In Child."

This goodie is a Chinese shop sign written for English speakers visiting China Olympics:
"Please do not touch yourself. Let us help you to try out. Thanks!"

These examples are from restrooms in China:
"This WC is free of washing. Please leave off after Pissing or Shitting."
Accompanying universal wheelchair icon for handicapped on Chinese restroom door: "Special for deformed."

Phantom Eagle
06-20-2011, 04:33 PM
http://lailanasheeba.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/warning31.jpg

Udiguhgudibuh
06-21-2011, 07:48 AM
http://lailanasheeba.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/warning31.jpg

:thumb: Friends come and go, but enemies are forever.

Men should be judged by the quality of their friends, but also by the quality of their enemies-- and I'm always looking for better enemies. In that category, Phantom Eagle, you're unexpectedly moving up! Impressive.

Phantom Eagle
06-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Intarwebz r srs bizness....

Wigner's Friend
06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
If you didn't have blistering, redness or pain the next day then you probably didn't have a serious burn to begin with.

Phantom Eagle
06-21-2011, 11:33 AM
The most serious burn yet was Pia's scathing response to his inanity.

Caley Tibbittz
06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I just took the guy off ignore. He responds very pleasantly and respectfully to constructive criticism. He has won me over more than the people who seemingly dog his every post as if they were an affront to all reason. He's not all wrong, and nobody really needs to win the internet that badly. I think we can do better than this.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
If you didn't have blistering, redness or pain the next day then you probably didn't have a serious burn to begin with.

:torch: What made this serious burn less than "inane"? My university roommate's night to cook, he made chow mein: steaming hot topping in one pan, and crispy dry Chinese noodles served in a teflon frying pan.

I had no warning or reason to think the dry noodle pan was hot from the stove, especially since my roommate handed it to me while he held the one-and-only plastic handle. Thinking it was just a handy serving dish, I took it by the hot pan side.

How hot was it? I heard my palm and fingers sizzle: "Pssssss!" Dropped it! Immediate stirring my hand in ice water made the pain tolerable. The skin was red, but intact. The ice water not only stopped most of the pain, I reasoned that reducing blood flow would minimize secondary cellular damage from blood rushing to the burn.

When I tested taking the hand out of the bowl, the burning pain returned. The strategy worked. No blistering or even redness on the next day. No pain; just moderate dry, tightness of the burned area. :cool: The end.

Shane W
06-21-2011, 03:45 PM
:torch: What made the serious burn less than "inane"? My university roommate's night to cook, he made chow mein: steaming hot topping in one pan, and crispy dry Chinese noodles served in a teflon frying pan.

I had no warning or reason to think the dry noodle pan was hot from the stove, especially since my roommate handed it to me while he held the one-and-only plastic handle. Thinking it was just a handy serving dish, I took it by the hot pan side.

How hot was it? I heard my palm and fingers sizzle: "Pssssss!" Dropped it! Immediate stirring my hand in ice water made the pain tolerable. The skin was red, but intact. The ice water not only stopped most of the pain, I reasoned that reducing blood flow would minimize secondary cellular damage from blood rushing to the burn.

When I tested taking the hand out of the bowl, the burning pain returned. The strategy worked. No blistering or even redness on the next day. No pain; just moderate dry, tightness of the burned area. :cool: The end.

Liar, what you claim actually requires us to believe that your ice bath reversed the damage that was caused.

Be as fucking weird as you want, just don't lie.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
liar, what you claim actually requires us to believe that your ice bath reversed the damage that was caused.

Be as fucking weird as you want, just don't lie.

Jason California
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Udi, there is only one way to settle this. What we are going to need is a very hot object (preferably something metalic), your bare skin, a bucket of ice, and a video camera.

I am going to need you to burn yourself sufficiently badly enough that a video recording shows the burn mark in all its redness. Go over the whole area of the burn letting us all know how badly it hurts. Once the presentation has been done I want you to dip the burned appendage into the ice and record the time you have it in there.

The very next day I want you to record the burn area to show us it is healing nice. This will be the biggest proff of your ideas showing all these pussy naysayers that you were right my friend.

Oh, and 2 newspapers will be needed so that you can time stamp the video. Get to it and report back with the proof needed to show you are right!

Udiguhgudibuh
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Udi, there is only one way to settle this. What we are going to need is a very hot object (preferably something metalic), your bare skin, a bucket of ice, and a video camera.

I am going to need you to burn yourself sufficiently badly enough that a video recording shows the burn mark in all its redness. Go over the whole area of the burn letting us all know how badly it hurts. Once the presentation has been done I want you to dip the burned appendage into the ice and record the time you have it in there.

The very next day I want you to record the burn area to show us it is healing nice. This will be the biggest proff of your ideas showing all these pussy naysayers that you were right my friend.

Oh, and 2 newspapers will be needed so that you can time stamp the video. Get to it and report back with the proof needed to show you are right!

:torch: Brilliant plan, Mr. California! You go first... actually you'd be second!
I already did my burn test, and nobody seems to believe it. They'd just think my new documented effort was faked. Your credibility factor, however, is beyond reproach! Unblemished. Everybody will believe you-- and they'll all laugh and laugh at how much searing pain you're enduring!

Briomega
06-21-2011, 04:35 PM
:torch: Brilliant plan, Mr. California! You go first... actually you'd be second!
I already did my burn test, and nobody seems to believe it. They'd just think my new documented effort was faked. Your credibility factor, however, is beyond reproach! Unblemished. Everybody will believe you-- and they'll all laugh and laugh at how much searing pain you're enduring!

But Jason is not a medical writer. He does not have the experience to run an experiment like this.

Jason California
06-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Udi, buddy, pal. Nobody believes you because there is no proof, only words from a some dude on the internet.

That is why I suggested the video camera Udi, no matter what else these people might think of you (you and I know better) they won't be able to argue with the video proof! It will ensure the others understand that you were correct, and you will have earned it yourself, not needing me to validate your ideas. I think a man like yourself would want to earn this respect on your own, and not have me carry you over the finish line. But, if you do not believe in your practice enough to do it again, I can understand.

Something else. No one will be laghing at your pain Udi. They will all be hushed to silence after realizing what fools they were to openly mock you in such a way.

costello
06-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't laugh. Burns are awful.

costello
06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't laugh. Burns suck.

Wigner's Friend
06-21-2011, 05:16 PM
What made this serious burn less than "inane"?

According to the medical writers at Mayo, all first or any second degree burn no larger than 3 inches in diameter is considered minor.

BriRedfern
06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
My wife was an RA at Boland Hall in 2000. The burns you are describing are inane.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't laugh. Burns are awful.

:no: No, of course there's nothing funny about burns! Yow!

:torch: As I'm typing, I remembered a story about about fire-- AND IT'S ACTUALLY FUNNY!
Here it comes; true story:

Working in an emergency room, a guy I know watched an impatient patient getting slowly furious because her place in the waiting room line got pushed back-- as people with more serious injuries kept coming in. (Policy: worst goes first.)

Finally, the woman went ballistic, took out her cigarette lighter-- and set fire to her hair! My friend freaked out, ran to the woman, and "slapped out" the flames with his hands.

The irony? Her plan backfired. Since heat from a flame goes up, the woman wasn't really hurt-- but my friend seriously burned his hands while extinguishing her hair-- and he got to see the doctor before she did!

Udiguhgudibuh
06-21-2011, 06:00 PM
According to the medical writers at Mayo, all first or any second degree burn no larger than 3 inches in diameter is considered minor.

:dunno: Yes, from consulting my AMA Encyclopedia, my burn would qualify as "first-degree" (patches on fingers, thumb & palm). I interpreted "inane" as a description of me being goofy enough to unkowingly grab a hot pan.

Udiguhgudibuh
06-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Udi, buddy, pal. Nobody believes you because there is no proof, only words from a some dude on the internet.

That is why I suggested the video camera Udi, no matter what else these people might think of you (you and I know better) they won't be able to argue with the video proof! It will ensure the others understand that you were correct, and you will have earned it yourself, not needing me to validate your ideas. I think a man like yourself would want to earn this respect on your own, and not have me carry you over the finish line. But, if you do not believe in your practice enough to do it again, I can understand.

Something else. No one will be laghing at your pain Udi. They will all be hushed to silence after realizing what fools they were to openly mock you in such a way.

:dunno: I'm just reporting. Yeah, hearing your flesh actually "sizzle" is unforgettable, and I remember it all accurately. I'm frankly surprised that people don't believe it, but that's their decision.

:blah: It's like the now-ancient atheist thread; belief is your choice. This is America. At the same time, why would I lie? Break the Ninth Commandment? I don't break any of them. Not only is it morally wrong, I have no possible reason for lying. (Sheesh, that's an ugly word.)

I have a couple of Internet friendships that have become very close.

Usually, though, I just think people's goofy little stories make life more-- interesting. Little stuff. One woman told me that when she was very pregnant, she slipped, fell with her face in the grass, nobody helped her up-- and one guy actually asked, "Eat some dirt?" and walked on!

Life is just-- strange.

Jason California
06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
I like strange Udi. Keep on keeping on.

Jason California
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey Udi, I am thinking about using Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine, or Sinatra as my next avatar. Who do you suggest?

Phantom Eagle
06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey Udi, I am thinking about using Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine, or Sinatra as my next avatar. Who do you suggest?

Glad to know that whole mentorship thing is working out for you guys. Any plans to wear leotards, slide down poles or beat up muscular men together?

Phantom Eagle
06-21-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't break any of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM

Udiguhgudibuh
06-21-2011, 08:25 PM

:thumb: I'd go with Burt Lancaster.

By the way, Singin' In the Rain director Stanley Donen was born here in Columbia, SC. Gene Kelly allegedly had a serious case of the flu during his most famous dance.

Jason California
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
:thumb: I'd go with Burt Lancaster.

By the way, Singin' In the Rain director Stanley Donen was born here in Columbia, SC. Gene Kelly allegedly had a serious case of the flu during his most famous dance.

He did. Very bad fever. Gene was a trooper.

Jason California
06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Glad to know that whole mentorship thing is working out for you guys. Any plans to wear leotards, slide down poles or beat up muscular men together?

I wish.

Phantom Eagle
06-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Gene Kelly allegedly had a serious case of the flu during his most famous dance.

He should've worn his galoshes, like Mother told him.

Phantom Eagle
06-21-2011, 09:01 PM
I wish.

See now that would be worthy of videotaping.

Jason California
06-21-2011, 09:03 PM
See now that would be worthy of videotaping.

I would show off my shapely calves.

Phantom Eagle
06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I would show off my shapely calves.

Calves? Those things are cows.