PDA

View Full Version : BBC's Top Gear appreciation thread

Christian Beranek
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I haven't seen the American version but when I was living in the UK and Ireland I fell in love with this show. It has such a great formula: Reviews of cars, challenges, celebrity interviews (along with a timed lap) and comedy. Kids actually dress up as The Stig for Halloween I heard.

Anyone else a fan?

Gregory
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Do not see the American version. They don't employ the scripted comedy as well.

My plan for DragonCon is to wear a Stig costume.

Christian Beranek
06-16-2011, 02:46 PM

I will avoid it, thank you! And that's badass about the Stig costume.

Mark4myself
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm a huge fan of it and watch it all the time. I'm also the furthest thing removed from a car enthusiast. I appreciate nice cars but know nothing about them and what makes them tick. I have a set of metric hammers in the trunk in case anything breaks down.

The chemistry is great on the BBC version and is lacking on the American one. I'm hoping it gets better as I've heard the BBC one didn't really click from the get go. But yeah...always click over to watch Top Gear whenever I see its on.

Cactusakic
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of it and watch it all the time. I'm also the furthest thing removed from a car enthusiast. I appreciate nice cars but know nothing about them and what makes them tick.

Ditto.

Pretty sure we had a thread like this a couple of years back, but I've given up trying to use the search function since the last board update.

Reason I even bother to mention it is that almost the exact same time as that previous thread was started, they aired the episode that contained a segment filmed where I live.

It was the episode where someone had written in to complain that they no longer truly tested cars out and that they had become a comedy show, so Clarkson responded by "testing" a car in true Top Gear fashion.

The segment where he is driving it through a shopping centre was filmed about ten minutes walk from my house.

On my way to work the following morning, I wondered why there were tire tracks all over the floor. When the episode aired a few weeks later, I got my answer.

Randy Hassan
06-16-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm also a fan, though not as big as my twelve-year-old, who has no other interest in cars. He watches the DVDs over and over.

Cactusakic
06-16-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Funketeer
06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't know squat about cars and I like it a lot.

I didn't realize that the American version had actually aired. Is this the Adam Carolla one you're all talking about or was there an attempt after that?

The Human Target
06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah it fills me with joy most of the time.

FedEx Fanboy
06-16-2011, 07:39 PM
I've become a huge fan over the last year or so. I watch at least 2-3 episodes every weekend. Started with season 9 and recently began season 13. After I get caught up I'll probably go back to season 1...

As for the American version, I thought it improved by the end of it's first season. Still not nearly as good as the BBC version, but it'll be interesting to see how they do in season 2. They really need to do a American vs. BBC challenge BADLY.

Brandon191
06-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm a big fan of the show. For those of you that like it you should check out James May's Toy Stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-gjJIbBEBI

FedEx Fanboy
06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm a big fan of the show. For those of you that like it you should check out James May's Toy Stories.

Good show. I also like Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections and Invisible Worlds.

David Aspmo
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't know squat about cars and I like it a lot.

I didn't realize that the American version had actually aired. Is this the Adam Carolla one you're all talking about or was there an attempt after that?
Not the Adam Carolla one. NBC bailed on that version, and by the time the show was picked up again by The History Channel (where it aired), he was trying to get a sitcom put together (that also never got made). So, it's a whole different group of guys than the Carolla version.

Gregory
06-17-2011, 05:15 AM
I still hope for a Mythbusters/Top Gear crossover. Let them test a third round of spy-car tricks.

B3NN3TT
06-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Not the Adam Carolla one. NBC bailed on that version, and by the time the show was picked up again by The History Channel (where it aired), he was trying to get a sitcom put together (that also never got made). So, it's a whole different group of guys than the Carolla version.

The Adam Carolla show has been picked up by Speed Channel, and is filming over the summer. Not certain when the premiere is, but probably this fall.

http://jalopnik.com/5713073/adam-carollas-best-damn-car-show-to-take-on-top-gear-usa

(That's an older article; SPEED has since committed, and it's on)

And for what it's worth, I'm a HUGE FAN of Top Gear UK, and I still enjoyed Top Gear USA for what it was. I'll keep watching.

Christian Beranek
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Love James May's Toy Stories. The Lego House and Spitfire episodes were top notch.

I read somewhere that Top Gear has something like 350 million viewers worldwide making it the most watched show on the planet.

Doc Randy
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Been a huge fan of the show for years. I have even seen every episode since the 2002 reboot.

If you like the show, I'd also recommend the various James May programs. They have all been excellent. I have a big crush on him and his programs.

WinterRose
06-17-2011, 04:54 PM

A stig costume? My Fiancee' immediately likes you.

B3NN3TT
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
This just in -

The Car Show with Adam Carolla starts July 13th (http://jalopnik.com/5814166/the-car-show-with-adam-carolla-starts-july-13th)