PDA

View Full Version : DC not interested in Steve Rude?

Greygor
06-16-2011, 07:09 AM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li4qveD7Ot1qewhjpo1_500.gif

Legendary comics artist Steve Rude has posted on Facebook that he wants to come back to comics. DC Comics. He writes;

This decision took place no less than a month ago, after I came to the following realization–

One– I’ve had enough time away from the field to want to come back. In the time that I’ve been gone, comics seem to have only gotten worse in terms of art and story, which is what made me back off in the first place. I feel that any direct contributions I could make by re-entering the field might have a positive effect.

Two– I needed the bread. Commissions and other jobs are fine, but actually being an active member of the comics field seemed more prudent. After talking it over with Gino, we decided it would be best to write the company I’d most like to do business with, and then see what transpired. And who would that company be?

That company would be DC comics

The books I would most like to contribute to? Here they are in order of preference:

1. SUPERGIRL

2. SUPERMAN

3. BIG BARDA and her FEMALE FURIES

4. OMAC

One month ago, I began my contact with DC through an editor that I knew. Having no success, I tried a second editor. Then finally, one of the higher-up “exec” types.

So far, one editor has responded–with a polite turn down. The two others I never heard back from.

Well, there is a DC Relaunch going on, it’s possible that people are a bit busy. But, you know, this is Steve Rude…

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/16/steve-rude-would-like-to-work-for-dc-comics-please/

So if not DC, any Marvel titles that could benefit?

information
06-16-2011, 07:24 AM
With Marcos Martin off the book, I'd love to see him join the Amazing Spider-Man art team. Rotating arcs would give him plenty of time to do his best work, as well.

bstie1198
06-16-2011, 07:30 AM
With Marcos Martin off the book, I'd love to see him join the Amazing Spider-Man art team. Rotating arcs would give him plenty of time to do his best work, as well.

That would be incredible. Loved the Lifeline mini.

hamgravy
06-16-2011, 07:32 AM

God - I absolutely loved his Lifeline mini. Yes to this.

hamgravy
06-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Here's an OMAC redesign he recently shared on Facebook:
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/hamgravy_photos/260192_10150660146070433_57611645432_19219210_3629 166_n.jpg

Artie Pink
06-16-2011, 07:35 AM
DC loves failure lately. And by lately I mean the last 20 years.

Gregory
06-16-2011, 07:35 AM
I think he should work on a Hellboy/BPRD book.

hamgravy
06-16-2011, 07:39 AM
In terms of other Marvel books - check his commissions, he's also got a command of shadow that works well with his Black Panther pieces.

Blake Sims
06-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Put him on OMAC NOW!!! Old school mohawk-blue/orange/yellow costume OMAC at that.

Blake Sims
06-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Here's an OMAC redesign he recently shared on Facebook:
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/hamgravy_photos/260192_10150660146070433_57611645432_19219210_3629 166_n.jpg

:drool:

Greygor
06-16-2011, 07:43 AM
The new book Kirby Genesis would have been a good fit

hamgravy
06-16-2011, 07:48 AM
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/hamgravy_photos/74509_10150332666205433_57611645432_15787557_59244 80_n-1.jpg

Spidey616
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM

:lol:

The Funketeer
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
To be fair, that's possibly the worst proposal I've ever seen. "Hi. I haven't worked for you in ages and I have a reputation for being slow and flaky but I'd like to work for you again now that you're in the middle of a massive company-wide relaunch of all your books. Oh yeah, here's the titles I want to work on."

Andreas
06-16-2011, 07:57 AM
DC and Marvel, make it happen! :cool: Stev Rude is probably the best storyteller in comics at the moment, next to the Hernandez brothers.

Fourthman
DC doesn't want Steve? How... abrupt, abusive, bad-mannered, barbarian, barbaric, barbarous, blunt, boorish, brusque, brutish, cheeky, churlish, coarse, crabbed, crude, curt, discourteous, graceless, gross, gruff, ignorant, illiterate, impertinent, impolite, impudent, inconsiderate, insolent, insulting, intrusive, loutish, low, obscene, offhand, peremptory, raw, savage, scurrilous, short, surly, uncivil, uncivilized, uncouth, uncultured, uneducated, ungracious, unmannerly, unpolished, unrefined, vulgar, wild.

SteveFlack
I love Steve Rude, but I don't see how he would fit with the apparent house style over at DC for the relaunch. Plus, I've always heard he has the reputation of not being the easiest to work with. The original blog post didn't seem to do him any favors, as it kind of came off kind of jerky. I kind of see this as a "not the right time" over at DC, and it does seem like he hasn't even bothered to contact Marvel.

Andreas
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Give him a maxi series, eight issues a year, several seasons. His storytelling is timeless.

Greygor
06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I love Steve Rude, but I don't see how he would fit with the apparent house style over at DC for the relaunch. Plus, I've always heard he has the reputation of not being the easiest to work with. The original blog post didn't seem to do him any favors, as it kind of came off kind of jerky. I kind of see this as a "not the right time" over at DC, and it does seem like he hasn't even bothered to contact Marvel.

I can see "the right time" argument and also we don't know the backstory to this.

However, down the line I'd kill for a Morrison/Rude New Gods Mini/Maxi series, or even Morrison & Rude on a Action Comics arc.

chess
06-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Good grief... Have him do covers or alt covers.

Ashwin Pande
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
From everything I've read and heard about Steve Rude - he's a genius but he's really hard to work with.

Caley Tibbittz
06-16-2011, 08:17 AM

:rofl: I love you sometimes, man.

But only sometimes.:-x

Artie Pink
06-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I believe Steve Rude has a better understanding of DC's icons than DC does. In fact, I can't think of anyone who misunderstands DC characters more than DC does.

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Dear DC Comics,

Congratulations! I have also decided to grant you to opportunity to hire me to bring my amazing skills to your pathetic comic books. In recent years, I have stayed away from sullying my resume by working on "corporate" comics, since they have been both poorly written, drawn, colored, lettered, edited, printed, marketed, and sold. So I have decided to come in and save your pathetic company. Also, I kind of placed a big bet on the Miami Heat. I MEAN COME ON! LEBRON! WADE! BOSH! IT WAS A FUCKING LOCK. So, I need some dough, ASAP, before that nice Italian man takes my thumbs, rendering me unable to hold a pen.

And that would be terrible for everyone.

Here are the titles I wish to work on.

1- Superman. No one has any plans for that right?

2- Jerry Lewis. It's been years since you've published a new issue of Jerry Lewis. I think it's high time for a revival.

3- Captain America. I know he's a Marvel character, but they've stopped returning my correspondence.

4- Awesome Man. He's a new character I created. He's better than the tripe you've been publishing.

Please respond ASAP, as I am simultaneously publishing this missive on my blog, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and in a press release to dozens of websites, to generate as much feedback as possible.

Artie Pink
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
:rofl: I love you sometimes, man.

But only sometimes.:-x
I'll take what I can get! :heart:

Greygor
06-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Dear DC Comics,

Congratulations! I have also decided to grant you to opportunity to hire me to bring my amazing skills to your pathetic comic books. In recent years, I have stayed away from sullying my resume by working on "corporate" comics, since they have been both poorly written, drawn, colored, lettered, edited, printed, marketed, and sold. So I have decided to come in and save your pathetic company. Also, I kind of placed a big bet on the Miami Heat. I MEAN COME ON! LEBRON! WADE! BOSH! IT WAS A FUCKING LOCK. So, I need some dough, ASAP, before that nice Italian man takes my thumbs, rendering me unable to hold a pen.

2- Jerry Lewis. It's been years since you've published a new issue of Jerry Lewis. I think it's high time for a revival.

3- Captain America. I know he's a Marvel character, but they've stopped returning my correspondence.

4- Awesome Man. He's a new character I created. He's better than the tripe you've been publishing.

Please respond ASAP, as I am simultaneously publishing this missive on my blog, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and in a press release to dozens of websites, to generate as much feedback as possible.

See now that's funny,

Can I see it illustrated in 8 panels, preferably by Steve Rude :)

Artie Pink
06-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Dear DC Comics,

:lol: There's a lot of truth to this, but how about this in response from DC:

Dear Rude Dude,

We've thought it over, and we agree your gorgeous art would look great on our iconic characters.

However, you have a reputation as a loud-mouth. So we're going to insist that you refrain from bashing our working relationship during the time we are working together. Sound good?

Not to put a fine point on it, Dude - you almost lost your house last year. So let's make this working relationship stable and mutually beneficial.

If you agree, please continue to the next paragraph. If not, we wish you well.

Your classic style is different from our new shitty reboot style. We'll need to find you some retro projects or variant covers or something until we come to our senses.

Hey, we turned down Darwyn Cooke's Wonder Woman pitch, why not reject a Steve Rude Supergirl pitch?

Please respond ASAP and cc everyone you can think of at the company. Most likely there will be a new editor in my position by the time this reaches you.

Jef UK
06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Comics really suck so they should give me a job is a terrible tact to take, even if you're Steve Rude.

Gregory
06-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Since DC is seemingly not doing anything with SHAZAM right now, why not throw it to Rude for a mini?

Jef UK
06-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Fuck Daredevil v. Batman crossover bullshit, I want an OMAC v. Omega the Unknown.

Artie Pink
06-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Comics really suck so they should give me a job is a terrible tact to take, even if you're Steve Rude.

And yet he's still 100% correct!

Mister Mets
06-16-2011, 08:44 AM
He's a great artist. Hiring him would likely result in good work. Which is always good for DC and the comics industry.

They should have gotten back to him.

SteveFlack
06-16-2011, 08:47 AM
He's a great artist. Hiring him would likely result in good work. Which is always good for DC and the comics industry.

They should have gotten back to him.

Or they could just reprint some old Jack Kirby stuff. Same difference.

NeverWanderer
06-16-2011, 09:02 AM
The whole "comics have only gotten worse since I left, so my return could only help" attitude is a turn-off, but can't blame the dude for wanting to do comics for a living. Hope he finds a place.

JKCarrier
06-16-2011, 10:55 AM
It was unfortunate timing that he came knocking on DC's door while they were putting their giant reboot together... most of the creative teams were probably already locked in. He should check back in six months, after Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld have blown their deadlines and they need people to fill in. ;)

SteveFlack
11-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Hopefully, DC will change their mind. Steve Rude could really use the help right now.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Steve-Rude-Arrested.html?soid=1101744842181&aid=RT-L0yXvHuU

Steve has had a back and forth with the neighbors for quite some time now that started over their barking dogs. Last night Steve got hauled in.

We are currently lowering prices on Steve's art to make bail and pay for legal fees. We also are offering the above print for sale as well as several other pieces.

Jef UK
11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Hopefully, DC will change their mind. Steve Rude could really use the help right now.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Steve-Rude-Arrested.html?soid=1101744842181&aid=RT-L0yXvHuU

http://www.shlaowai.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/horsetable-how-rude.jpg

extras21
11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Anyone see this???

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/01/can-you-help-post-bail-for-steve-rude/

SteveFlack
11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Anyone see this???

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/01/can-you-help-post-bail-for-steve-rude/

No.

extras21
11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
oops...I didn't know someone already posted it. My baddddddd.

Stark Raving
11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
To be fair, that's possibly the worst proposal I've ever seen. "Hi. I haven't worked for you in ages and I have a reputation for being slow and flaky but I'd like to work for you again now that you're in the middle of a massive company-wide relaunch of all your books. Oh yeah, here's the titles I want to work on."
Yes, much better they hire Joe Mad and Rob Liefeld.

DAVE
11-01-2011, 05:37 PM
It's not fair that he has an awesome real name, like Steve Rude and and gets a kick-ass nickname like the Dude also.

DAVE
11-02-2011, 10:33 AM
This is a picture from my visit to DC Comics' office a few months back. This is a huge mural painted on the wall on one of their floors. This picture only captures a portion of the piece. A shitload of the characters drawn there were done by Steve Rude.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4339/murala.jpg

SteveFlack
11-02-2011, 10:43 AM
This is a picture from my visit to DC Comics' office a few months back. This is a huge mural painted on the wall on one of their floors. This picture only captures a portion of the piece. A shitload of the characters drawn there were done by Steve Rude.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4339/murala.jpg

I really hope Dan Didio and Jim Lee stood there one day and added unnecessary clothing seams and collars to all of them.

DAVE
11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I really hope Dan Didio and Jim Lee stood there one day and added unnecessary clothing seams and collars to all of them.
Yeah, they were there getting it ready when I was there. Didio also told me, "If you want, you can take your turn with (the) Starfire" painting on the wall, which was weird.

The Clone Ranger
11-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Actually, I think Rude only did Mr. Miracle in that mural.

DAVE
11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Actually, I think Rude only did Mr. Miracle in that mural.
As I said, "This picture only captures a portion of the piece." There were credits, Steve Rude did several characters on it, they're not all in my photo.

Ben
11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
The mural is of a bunch of DC superheroes... and a princess.

Ben
11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
As I said, "This picture only captures a portion of the piece." There were credits, Steve Rude did several characters on it, they're not all in my photo.Who drew all the Reservoir Dogs characters?

Artie Pink
11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah, they were there getting it ready when I was there. Didio also told me, "If you want, you can take your turn with (the) Starfire" painting on the wall, which was weird.:rofl:

Ben
11-02-2011, 11:07 AM
It looks like the characters on the right are looking at your butt.

DAVE
11-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, why wouldn't they!?

SteveFlack
11-02-2011, 11:10 AM

The Golden Age Flash is giving it a fine "How do you do?" while Captain Atom says it's "A-OK!"

IPeacock
11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
No.
:) :)
I just spit soda on my tie.

Brad N.
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Whatever happened to that boarder who was obsessed with Rude? Nexus was it? I wonder how he feels about this.

DAVE
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
How awesome is it that this happened?

http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/iss/600w/940/139401/4625891_1.jpg

Artie Pink
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
How awesome is it that this happened?

http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/iss/600w/940/139401/4625891_1.jpg

EXTREMELY awesome!

Also:

http://www.fortressofbaileytude.com/Pictures/Hulk_Superman.jpg

DAVE
11-02-2011, 01:52 PM
EXTREMELY awesome!

Also:

http://www.fortressofbaileytude.com/Pictures/Hulk_Superman.jpg

Oh my god, YES.

russw
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
It breaks my heart to see all the problems that the dude has gone through the years. I just wish he would get out of his own way and worked and played better with others.

Blake Sims
11-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Oh my god, YES.

Yeah I need to get my hands on that.

The Zevad
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Well, why wouldn't they!?

You're Tom Cruise's good clone Dave but your ass does nothing for me.

chess
11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Steve Rude should be a cover artist like Brian Bolland. His work is striking. Being a cover artist should allow him to meet deadlines and give him steady work.

It is too bad Alan Moore isn't working on America's Best Comics-type series. Alan is great with flashbacks to tell his stories. He uses other artists for the 3-5 pages. Rude would be great at that. Once again, keeping him within the schedule.